Is Nokia causing fragmentation on Windows Phone with their exclusive apps? YES

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Y'all seen heard today's news, Nokia rebranding the Windows Phone Marketplace. Told y'all, Nokia's WP is coming.

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express

Only for Nokia phones, no mention that this will also apply to other OEM devices. And its just a simple icon, not really that big a deal.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone - well, you can only use that app on that 1 phone...but hey, after a year, you'll be able to use it!

are you saying after 1 year the apps that are exclusive to Nokia will be free to all others?

Honestly what Microsoft should do is have it free for that device (say Nokia) For example the CNN app, it is free on any Nokia Windows phone but not available to any other windowsphone (Samsung, LG, HTC..ect)

What if Nokia made it available to all others but charged say 99cents or $4.99, something like that. I would understand something like Nokia drive only being available for Nokia devices but something like CNN could be available to all, at a cost.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
are you saying after 1 year the apps that are exclusive to Nokia will be free to all others?

Honestly what Microsoft should do is have it free for that device (say Nokia) For example the CNN app, it is free on any Nokia Windows phone but not available to any other windowsphone (Samsung, LG, HTC..ect)

What if Nokia made it available to all others but charged say 99cents or $4.99, something like that. I would understand something like Nokia drive only being available for Nokia devices but something like CNN could be available to all, at a cost.

Same idea was mentioned here on the previous page: http://forums.windowscentral.com/1662085-post47.htm

havox22

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Read my post on the last page, only two of the announced apps have a one year exclusive. The others have a six or three month exclusive, and this is Nokia doing this MS can't force nokia to sell their apps to everybody. Just like even though we have xbox live games on the phone, Microsoft can't or wont force the Devs to upgrade them to mango, or even for them to fix broken achievements.

Also, Im sure many coming to the platform would be upset if they had to pay for a ESPN or CNN app, and Nokia would rather sell us phones than apps.

I knew I shouldn't have made my last post so long, people's attention span now days is really short, but with all of the chicken little, the sky is falling post I thought it would help. I guess not, people just want to be upset I guess.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Things like this make me concerned that one day...

You won't be able to watch certain dvds/blurays for xx amount of time unless you have the specific brand of player.

Yeah, that's already happened. Remember a little indie movie called Avatar? When the blu-ray came out, you could only get the 3D version with a new Panasonic TV. I don't think it ever was released in 3D for general consumers, actually.

Rob41664

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Not all the announced apps will be exclusive and some of them already have free versions in the marketplace for all WP handsets. I agree that without Nokia some of these may have never made it to WP and chances are without everything Nokia is doing the chances are that WP would already be becoming more irrelevant than it is now. I still have yet to see a HTC or Samsung ad for their models. Nokia has relationships with some of these developers that MS doesn't and that helps get them on board. I think in some ways the minimizing of the MS Windows link in the advertising is eliminating some that would just dismiss WP just because MS is involved.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Getting more apps and developers on WP is awesome for all users and the OS.

But…

The majority of Nokia WP owners will support and defend this as it is a benefit to their phone.

The majority of HTC/Samsung owners will be happy new apps are coming out but will be disappointed and confused on why they can’t get them right away.

Disclaimer: I have a HTC Titan II. I love my Titan. This is my first HTC device, so I am not bias. I could have got a Lumia, but (I must be one of the few) I did not like the look of it. Even today, I would not trade it for a Lumia.

I feel that if exclusive 3rd party apps continue, it will only hurt and cripple the OS/WP. This is not what people want or will understand.

Last edited:

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Lets take the CNN app for example: Nokia said the CNN app will be exclusive to the lumias for just 90 days, If my memory serves me right, it was somewhere January. 90 days is just 3 months right? Why is it not available to the rest of us? Now Nokia has come out to say the app is exclusive till May 2013....I'm telling you guys we'll never get these apps..they'll keep on postponding days till you buy a Nokia and be free...which in some sense forcing us to make decisions, really hate that idea. Can we all hold Lumia devices? Is it possible? I mean this is not the iPhone world where i'm stuck with one type of device...we need variations so NOKIA SHOULD NOT FORCE US TO BUY THEIR LUMIAS. Not saying I don't like Nokia devices (own some) but It's not fair, and MS just sitting there like a log doing nothing coz Nokia is promoting them...thats f**k. The OS should be stable and same across all OEM platforms except apps developed by OEMs themselves.

Nokia will start introducing their OS's into our beloved WP OS and I tell you guys, very soon, VERY VERY SOON we'll have Nindows Phone (WP combined with Symbian and Nokia Belle) and my beloved Windows Phone OS will be OBSOLETE and F**KED AS ****...NO DOUBT....I THINK MICROSOFT WILL BE NOKIASOFT :)

M

mkr10001

Well seeing as nokia have this special deal with microsoft now, It's not surprising. Maybe you should have bought a nokia phone then....

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well seeing as nokia have this special deal with microsoft now, It's not surprising. Maybe you should have bought a nokia phone then....

You see my brother, Nokia was no where when I (we all) bought our HTCs, Samsungs and LGs. All was perfect then, till they came and claiming everything their own. I love the Lumia line, bought the Lumia 800 for my Girlfriend but just don't like the way they treating the rest of us. Planning on buying the Lumia 1000 with WP8 and the HTC HD8 (Rumored) lol...:p I just love this discussions :)

And to tell you the truth, phones here in my country are unbranded (non carrier based) and COST LIKE ****....TOOOO EXPENSIVE (bought my HTC HD7 $800 when WP got released, it's now reduced to $500 because newer phones are out) so buy one and take very good care of it and also save heavily to buy another when the time is due (which will take a very looong time) so imagine me holding a really expensive phone without the apps I need, nokia says they are exclusive so I should wait...hmmm you see how I feel and I'm not the only one here. But it's all good, will get a Lumia device one day but till then, I have to fight for the Non-Lumia holders.

Alex_Hong

May 11, 2012
Visit site
For me I kinda think that this fragmentation is alright at this point of time. Nokia is pretty much betting their life on the WP platform, which explains why they are spending so much effort and probably money into luring in developers and apps on the platform. So it stands to reason that they would want it to be exclusive for a while. Samsung and HTC are great manufacturers that can put out awesome hardware, but I can't help but feel that Android is their primary concern at this point. WP is like the ignored step-child that they have to patronise. Face it, Android is the OS that is bringing in all the money for them. And, its not as if that Samsung and HTC aren't doing exclusive apps as well. Its probably just that their exclusive apps are seemingly not as desirable as compared to Nokia's offerings.

IMO, Nokia is doing an extremely good job, not just at marketing, but also at hardware, and apps. At least they were the first manufacturer that put out a Windows Phone that I would want to buy.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Not all the announced apps will be exclusive and some of them already have free versions in the marketplace for all WP handsets. I agree that without Nokia some of these may have never made it to WP and chances are without everything Nokia is doing the chances are that WP would already be becoming more irrelevant than it is now. I still have yet to see a HTC or Samsung ad for their models. Nokia has relationships with some of these developers that MS doesn't and that helps get them on board. I think in some ways the minimizing of the MS Windows link in the advertising is eliminating some that would just dismiss WP just because MS is involved.

For the record HTC did release a slew of HILARIOUS ads for WP highlighting the best features of Mango while showcasing the Radar and the Titan. Just YouTube HTC Jim Gaffigan.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It does sometimes feel like if you don't have a Lumia you don't have a windows phone.

Probably more so for me since I have a Titan II and it is never in the news or talked about.

Have you seen any ads for your device? No? Nokia are the ones doing the work to generate the buzz. How much sense does it make to generate press and mindshare for your competitors?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I read the whole thread, enjoyed the debate. However, shocked that no one has put it out there yet.

Windows Phone IS NOKIA's life line (and may be vice versa for now!)

If Nokia did not get all these exclusivity it wouldn't have killed it's own baby so ruthlessly!

I loved Symbian and I've grown using it. That OS never got updates in my phone's life cycle and yet I loved it. Nokia killed that OS because even though there were billions of 'me' using it, they were making a loss. They could have easily gone for Android or created their own new OS.

They have instead decided to scratch all their OS gradually starting with Symbian, Belle will follow soon, Meego (does it exist?).

Nokia is MSFT's girl friend. Doesn't matter how many really loyal friends who are girls (HTC, Samsung etc) are with MSFT, they haven't given up their heart and soul like Nokia has. If MSFT buys flowers or gifts or lunch for ONLY NOKIA, I don't see that to be unfair at all. Nokia deserves it. All other girls (HTC etc) who are MSFT's "just friends" are already sleeping around with other dudes (Android) and they are boasting about it. MSFT has all the rights to be waaaay more into Nokia than any of the other girls. But that doesn't mean MSFT doesn't like them or they don't like MSFT. It is mutual. This is how real life relationships work and this is how business relationships are contracted. Nothing new.

Nice.

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You know, in my opinion, the best OEM apps for WP7 are LG's
We have DLNA and AUgumented reality.

Considering that LG is pulling out of windows phone, they should just release them to everyone

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I wish people would actually use "fragmentation" in the correct way.

Nokia getting app exclusives isn't fragmentation because it doesn't affect the ability of software makers to create apps for WP. Whether Nokia has some exclusives or not, it doesn't change mean I'd have to write multiple versions of the same app to make sure it works on Nokia devices and other WP devices.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I wish people would actually use "fragmentation" in the correct way.

Nokia getting app exclusives isn't fragmentation because it doesn't affect the ability of software makers to create apps for WP. Whether Nokia has some exclusives or not, it doesn't change mean I'd have to write multiple versions of the same app to make sure it works on Nokia devices and other WP devices.

They don't hear you though

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99