Is Nokia causing fragmentation on Windows Phone with their exclusive apps? YES

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Choose one:

A) Nokia pays to develop these apps and you have to wait 6-12 months to get it.
B) Nokia doesn't pay to develop the apps and you DON'T GET THEM AT ALL.

What part of that do you not understand?
Pretty much everyone posting in this thread is saying this, but it's a false dichotomy. How about:
C) MS directly pays to get these apps developed instead of indirectly doing it through Nokia, and then everyone gets them.

I mentioned this point earlier but everyone ignored it in their rush to defend Nokia, even though most people against these exclusives are angry with MS and not Nokia.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone was dead without Microsoft's investment in Nokia and Nokia's commitment to go 100% Windows Phone.

Everyone knows it. It's obvious. The rest of the world paid no attention to Windows Phone before then.

The little bit that HTC and Samsung and others did, made no difference. In two years the marketshare for Windows Phone hardly grew at all.

Watch what happens in the next year. It will all be because of Microsoft and Nokia.

I do hope the others rise to the occasion and decide to contribute more than old Android's retrofitted with Windows Phone OS. Maybe when they see Lumia sales figures they will think it's worth it to put in some effort. That would be great for everyone. :happy:

Yeah, you've now made me glad. I 100% understand what Nokia is doing since the've chosen WP OS as their prime focus, the others have the Android OS to play with too so not much attention to WP. But just imagine yourself holding an HTC, Sam or an LG phone....you will really feel that what Nokia is doing with these exclusive apps kinda hurts although it's good and bringing a lot of apps to us.

Your remember back in the days when HTC relaeses all the cool stuff for Windows Mobile and europe gets it immediately and US has to wait for a year? People felt bad about that thing. Waiting for something you want isn't the best thing and for some of us with different OEMs aside Nokia...hmmm it hurts...unless you are a Lumia holder and doesn't care but the thing is, it's the OS we all want to make better. I know we gonna get those apps oneday but the wait is too long and well I just understand what Nokia is doing.

So to summarise, Nokia is doing extremely well promoting Windows Phone, bringing developers to the plateform and getting us back in the race with the others but to restrict some important basic apps is just painful for some of us. But in the end, I hope WP benefits extremely and makes us all happy ;)
PEACE! :D

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much everyone posting in this thread is saying this, but it's a false dichotomy. How about:
C) MS directly pays to get these apps developed instead of indirectly doing it through Nokia, and then everyone gets them.

I mentioned this point earlier but everyone ignored it in their rush to defend Nokia, even though most people against these exclusives are angry with MS and not Nokia.

I pretty much understand you brother, we much in the same side of the battle and with all the defenses from our colleagues, we just have to come to the fact that there are a lot of Lumia holders here and there's nothing we can do to make them understand our pain. We just have to sit back, pray and hope all goes well. :)

havox22

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I pretty much understand you brother, we much in the same side of the battle and with all the defenses from our colleagues, we just have to come to the fact that there are a lot of Lumia holders here and there's nothing we can do to make them understand our pain. We just have to sit back, pray and hope all goes well. :)

I understand your pain, I am on the arrive and Google cares more about wp7 more than sprint, but Microsoft has been paying devs to come on board and build there apps and we are still missing some pretty popular apps.

And when big companies do make there apps for wp7 they hardly pay attention to them after they are released. With nokia they will stay on them, and also companies like rovio only care about making wp apps because of nokia, nokia is getting these partners to make wp dev teams, so our apps wont be forgotten.

Yeah It sucks having to wait, but I have been waiting a year and a half whats a couple more months, or maybe I just plan to get a nokia wp8 when they hit sprint :p

But honestly very few of these exclusives I would have downloaded anyway

keyboardP

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

No, because as I mentioned before, Nokia needs to differentiate to survive. MS might be able to fund them but they're not going to be Nokia's life support forever. Nokia has to answer to its shareholders and investors on the number of Lumias sold. Elop has to explain why it was such a good idea to jump on to the WP platform and dump their Symbian platform. Nokia also has to answer why they didn't go with the Android platform, or be an 'agnostic' OEM like Samsung and HTC.

If MS paid for the exclusives, then Nokia, HTC, and Samsung would be on the same level playing field, but only in terms of apps. Samsung and HTC are already ahead in their hardware devices and they already have an economies of scale when it comes to producing multi core devices. Samsung already has a huge following of the Galaxy S2, and probably S3, so they can easily leverage that in their marketing. HTC One series is getting positive reviews and they can also slap WP on it. Lumia, whilst the best of the current batch of devices, will struggle on the hardware front if (probably when) Samsung and HTC put their efforts behind WP8 since they just need to use their current devices but with WP8 on it instead of Android.

It's already a tough fight for Nokia and it's going to get tougher with WP8 if they don't try and get people on board the Lumia. If they don't succeed, then we'll be back with Samsung and HTC as the main OEMs, and we all know where their focus is at the moment.

So, no, I don't think it's a false dichotomy if you look at it from a business perspective, which is what MS and Nokia are looking at it from.

(Also, who's to say that the contract MS and Nokia signed didn't say that MS had to fund third party exclusives for Nokia?)

Last edited:

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

What you're describing is the current status quo. Microsoft has already indicated that they are funding development of some major apps, which are not exclusive to Nokia, they are for all WP7 customers. It's reasonable to assume that Microsoft is funding the "best" or "most needed" apps, and that had Microsoft not ponied up for these apps then they would have been at the top of Nokia's list too.

Nokia isn't a captive division of Microsoft, Microsoft can't order them to stop doing these limited exclusive deals. Microsoft can refuse to allow any exclusives at all in the marketplace, but that's almost certain to slow down or even halt the development of these critical apps.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Maybe because Nokia is doing more than just getting more apps, they are also promoting WP all around the world with big launch events, giveaways, dev events, media events. They have singlehandedly brought WP into the public awareness, and all because they are 100% comitted to WP and not doing it on the side like the other OEM's. Thats why they get special treatment from MS and why they are allowed to have a few exclusive apps.

They are the ONLY OEM pushing this platform, thats the reality, MS and Nokia made a deal last year, none of this is secret so why anyone would now act surprised or aggrieved about Nokia reaping the rewards of that deal is a bit strange.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft is doing that as well, to a much greater degree than Nokia.

Microsoft is has been offering developers both money (up to as much as $600,000!) and assistance to develop apps for Windows Phone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/t...l=1&adxnnlx=1333717536-06n7BMwaRXT59Fw8xdGypw

Microsoft still paying developers to create Windows Phone apps | Microsoft - CNET News

Microsoft Woos App Developers in Windows Phone Push - WSJ.com

Microsoft and Nokia have also partnered on a program called AppCampus to educate and invest in new developers for Windows Phone. They invested $12 million each to get it started.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57404519-75/microsoft-nokia-spending-$24-million-to-educate-developers/

Again, Microsoft is doing a lot in this area, but so is Nokia. The only ones anyone should be pointing any fingers out here are the other OEM's who are doing nothing for Windows Phone because they are too busy cranking out a new Android "iPhone killer" with 4 more cores and another inch of screen size every 3 months. :dry

If you want to know what's being done to develop apps for Windows Phone, all you have to do is follow the money. When HTC or Samsung put out $12 million to invest in Windows Phone app development, then we'll really be on our way. So everyone should take that misdirected frustration and hammer out some emails to those guys.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

It will. Have faith. All this new development that is being sparked is going to benefit EVERYONE who uses a Windows Phone. Believe me, Microsoft only wants to grow it's marketshare and that means welcoming new development from all directions and encouraging OEM's

I think after WP8 is released and Nokia posts some more good sales numbers, we are going to see some nice new Windows Phones from both HTC and Samsung too and everyone will be happy. :)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you've now made me glad. I 100% understand what Nokia is doing since the've chosen WP OS as their prime focus, the others have the Android OS to play with too so not much attention to WP. But just imagine yourself holding an HTC, Sam or an LG phone....you will really feel that what Nokia is doing with these exclusive apps kinda hurts although it's good and bringing a lot of apps to us.

Your remember back in the days when HTC relaeses all the cool stuff for Windows Mobile and europe gets it immediately and US has to wait for a year? People felt bad about that thing. Waiting for something you want isn't the best thing and for some of us with different OEMs aside Nokia...hmmm it hurts...unless you are a Lumia holder and doesn't care but the thing is, it's the OS we all want to make better. I know we gonna get those apps oneday but the wait is too long and well I just understand what Nokia is doing.

So to summarise, Nokia is doing extremely well promoting Windows Phone, bringing developers to the plateform and getting us back in the race with the others but to restrict some important basic apps is just painful for some of us. But in the end, I hope WP benefits extremely and makes us all happy ;)
PEACE! :D

Yes, I understand totally. If I had an HTC or Samsung, I might be a little skeptical too. But I really do think everything that is happening will benefit everyone. Some people will have to wait a little longer for some apps, but those apps that Nokia paid for exclusives on were not being developed without that money, so in the end it means more apps for everyone.

I also think if Nokia continues to sell a lot of Lumia's and spend money on getting apps developed, the other companies like HTC and Samsung will see there is money to be made in Windows Phone.

There will be more people looking to buy Windows Phones. The Nokia Lumia advertising and news will bring a lot of people into the store. Some of those people are going to see HTC Titan II's and Samsung Focus and like them better than the Nokia's and buy those. It will mean more sales for HTC and Samsung.

Nokia doing all these things will make more Windows Phone customers, but it will also mean more competition for those customers, that could push HTC and Samsung to try harder. Get their own app exclusives, bring newer and better phones etc. It could also keep prices lower. If Nokia sells phones for $99, then that could get HTC to lower the price of the Titan II to $99 eventually, and so on..

I am optimistic. I think this is going to mean more and better Windows Phones for everyone with more apps and better support for everybody. :cool:

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I understand totally. If I had an HTC or Samsung, I might be a little skeptical too. But I really do think everything that is happening will benefit everyone. Some people will have to wait a little longer for some apps, but those apps that Nokia paid for exclusives on were not being developed without that money, so in the end it means more apps for everyone.

I also think if Nokia continues to sell a lot of Lumia's and spend money on getting apps developed, the other companies like HTC and Samsung will see there is money to be made in Windows Phone.

There will be more people looking to buy Windows Phones. The Nokia Lumia advertising and news will bring a lot of people into the store. Some of those people are going to see HTC Titan II's and Samsung Focus and like them better than the Nokia's and buy those. It will mean more sales for HTC and Samsung.

Nokia doing all these things will make more Windows Phone customers, but it will also mean more competition for those customers, that could push HTC and Samsung to try harder. Get their own app exclusives, bring newer and better phones etc. It could also keep prices lower. If Nokia sells phones for $99, then that could get HTC to lower the price of the Titan II to $99 eventually, and so on..

I am optimistic. I think this is going to mean more and better Windows Phones for everyone with more apps and better support for everybody. :cool:

Windows Phone Forever:p:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss