Is Nokia causing fragmentation on Windows Phone with their exclusive apps? YES

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Saw this great article (http://www.windowscentral.com/nokia-causing-fragmentation-windows-phone-their-exclusive-apps) and it's worth discussion. Actually I'm pissed about what Nokia is doing. Is it by force to use a Nokia device?? If I dont, why I'm I being punnised for it by not getting some good apps?

Nokia has made moves to gain some big titles (and leverage) for their hardware. Who does it hurt? Who does it benefit and is it a good thing? I say a BIG NO, it's not a good thing. Good for Nokia but not for the OS (Windows Phone)

The real deal is, Nokia?s strategy to get these apps and games on their hardware will definetely hurt Windows Phone and I can see Nokia's Version of Windows Phone coming out real soon and it aint good.

Pissed this morning, Always Nokia, Nokia, Nokia all ove the news with exclusive good apps.....WTF :mad:

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
What would you like?

It must Nokia cost many millions of dollars to build and support those apps. Such things are expensive, man, and that's the main reason companies like HTC don't do the same (except for some so-so apps like notes and such).

I can see why you would like Nokia to spend those millions and then give those apps for free to all WP7 users, also HTC users like you, but I would not like Nokia to do so. Why? Because making such gifts to competitors is an excellent way for a company to bankrupt itself, and I don't think Nokia going broke could be in any way good for WP7.

If you ask me, you should direct the energy of your anger towards HTC and say to them if they do not deliver something comparable you jump ship real quick and land in Nokia's arms.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
its working already for Nokia because your pissed you bought a phone from a manufacture who doesn't care about promoting the OS, when they could of.

If you don't want to use Nokia, then wait for the Apps.

Once the market has grown, more developers will show up and develop for all.

Till then i am supporting a manufacture who actually cares.

My parting words, if it wasn't for Nokia, you think other manufacture would push companies like PayPal to make an app on WP7? Other manufacture had over 2 years.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
The truth is, I am getting what I need from this platform now. If Nokia entices developers to bring more value to the platform, it will be good in the long run. Do I like exclusive agreements? No! But if it brings a good result in the end I will live through it.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Or get an iPhone.
lol what a silly comment because what Nokia is doing is bringing apps to WP7 faster. If Market share for WP grows the most critical apps will be in the marketplace and Developers wouldn't feel the need to do the exclusive route since they want a larger market.

Iphone apps. Sure it has 1 billion, zillion apps, but how many of them are freaking clones of each other.

WP just needs the core apps that are commonly used (like paypal, pandoria, etc), with Nokia we are getting closer.

xalasten

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I think that it is good that Nokia is making these deals. It will be good un the long run as the apps will be available over time. Nokia deserves to have some benefit for doing the deals and spending the time/money.

I can understand why others would be upset not to get the apps right away. But like what has been mentioned take that frustration to your manufacturer to get deals done.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
lol what a silly comment because what Nokia is doing is bringing apps to WP7 faster. If Market share for WP grows the most critical apps will be in the marketplace and Developers wouldn't feel the need to do the exclusive route since they want a larger market.

Iphone apps. Sure it has 1 billion, zillion apps, but how many of them are freaking clones of each other.

WP just needs the core apps that are commonly used (like paypal, pandoria, etc), with Nokia we are getting closer.

Aw man, I tried to delete it and I was too slow. :p

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes. No matter what how they try to turn it on the main page. Yes they are. Sad that people have try and twist words to make it seems like they are not.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sir, you do know that MS is paying Nokia millions. So I suggest you direct your anger towards MS for not having a level playing field.
It must Nokia cost many millions of dollars to build and support those apps. Such things are expensive, man, and that's the main reason companies like HTC don't do the same (except for some so-so apps like notes and such).

I can see why you would like Nokia to spend those millions and then give those apps for free to all WP7 users, also HTC users like you, but I would not like Nokia to do so. Why? Because making such gifts to competitors is an excellent way for a company to bankrupt itself, and I don't think Nokia going broke could be in any way good for WP7.

If you ask me, you should direct the energy of your anger towards HTC and say to them if they do not deliver something comparable you jump ship real quick and land in Nokia's arms.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia apps are a good thing. You may not see it but it's true. You should be pissed at HTC or Samsung for not doing the same...or at least going in on a deal with Nokia. And there is no "fragmentation". The OS hasn't changed. Developers aren't hindered in writing an app for your phones because of this.

And I don't blame Microsoft. Apparently they must have found some reason they couldn't sponsor these apps for all phones. So instead they have Nokia(who basically needs MS at this point) premote their own hardwarem providing them an opportunity to build their brand reputation and stature. Microsoft keeps their hands out in order to not show favoritism and piss of Samsung and HTC.

And most of these apps will surely hit all phones in 6 months. You might not have even get them in 6 months if it wasn't for the Nokia deal.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Sir, you do know that MS is paying Nokia millions. So I suggest you direct your anger towards MS for not having a level playing field.
Exactly. I keep seeing people saying that, "Well Nokia is spending all this money to get these apps, they should get the reward!"

MS should be the one getting these apps, not Nokia. They dumped a truckload of cash on Nokia, so it's basically their money. I have a hard time believing that MS needed Nokia to get these deals done. That's my main issue with this.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
And most of these apps will surely hit all phones in 6 months. You might not have even get them in 6 months if it wasn't for the Nokia deal.
I see this argument a lot in the comments too. 6 months is a long time. Plenty of time for people to have second thoughts about WP. The next iPhone will be out before all WP get these apps.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If MS is going to do this, I don't see why they just don't buy Nokia's mobile division and make them their sole WP7 manufacturer. I don't see how Samsung/HTC can see this as being fair. I'm not surprised they haven't dumped WP7 completely.
Exactly. I keep seeing people saying that, "Well Nokia is spending all this money to get these apps, they should get the reward!"

MS should be the one getting these apps, not Nokia. They dumped a truckload of cash on Nokia, so it's basically their money. I have a hard time believing that MS needed Nokia to get these deals done. That's my main issue with this.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call the Nokia apps "fragmentation". That implies there is an inherent/technical reason why the apps couldn't run on competitors smartphones. There isn't.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I see this argument a lot in the comments too. 6 months is a long time. Plenty of time for people to have second thoughts about WP. The next iPhone will be out before all WP get these apps.
Windows 8- 6 month timeframe from now. It may not sell phones. But I guarantee you, folks will be buying a tablet/slate with Windows 8. I and 20 other coworkers are getting it the 1st month its released (just need to see specs from all the different manufacturers). By than, you will no longer see exclusivity of apps because developers will have a bigger market.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It seems to me that Nokia is adopting sort of a hybrid model similar to what Amazon did with android tablets with its Kindle Fire. It has its own selection of apps you can get from Amazon's app store. Those same apps are in googles market too and many are cross platform.

mdintx

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Terrible idea for MS. A consumer walks in ready to renew or sign a new contract and here's the break down:

Iphone - yes, you can use that app
Android - yes, any of these phones can use that app.
Windows Phone - well, you can only use that app on that 1 phone...but hey, after a year, you'll be able to use it!

The Lumia 900 reviews on the ATT website aren't that great. Compared to other Windows Phones, it's only ahead of the refurbished Focus Flash. Otherwise, it's tied with the Focus Flash and behind the Titan, Focus S, and Titan II.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I dont think it will HURT the OS.

like Daniel said , it might hurt our feelings but the fact that WP is only holding 2% of mobile shares, it cant hurt us that much.

if the OS was a HUGE hit with like 50% of the worlds mobile shares , then having 50% of the world pissed off , then yes that would hurt! lol. now your gona hurt the feeling of 2 out of 1000000 clients .... not a big deal.

I my self am a HUGE Samsung FAN , I love their products and I really wana stay with them for future WP. sure im PISSED OFF for not getting the best apps but its not the end of the world. its not gona stop ME from buying the next WP (Samsung) so missing 2 ,3 games that I would FINISH in 2-3 dayz any ways!! .. NOT gona cry or lose sleep over it!

most of the exclusive apps are not deal breakers any ways or will have 3rparty DEV making similar apps.

on a other Note,

with NOKIA doing this , they are actually GRABBING big names(devs) and big games witch if anything will just HELP WP in the long run, not to mention im PRETTY SURE that ALL exclusive games/apps on NOKIA will be timed based! meaning , we will get them at some point in time ( I hope )

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Funny that no one was beating down LG last year when they introduced exclusive apps, including; Augmented Reality and an "unmatched to date", Voice to Text/EMail app. And I believe HTC still has an exclusive on a flashlight app that uses the camera flash. Nokia mapping apps come from NAVTEC, so that was already their property.

Regarding exclusive arrangements with some big names, guess you can't please some people no matter what. First is was, WP won't catch on till they get these popular apps. Now it's WP won't catch on because Nokia has an exclusive on these popular apps. Here's an idea. Buy a Nokia and stop your bellyaching.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb