Home Sharing / Media Streaming in WP7?

Andrew Griffiths

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Just moved to a Lumia from iOS, and one thing i really miss is media streaming from iTunes to my iPhone.
Is this here and I'm just missing it, or is there a way to do it from Zune??

Failing that, any other solutions? I already have my collection set up to share by DLNA...

Thanks

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I could not get the Lumia to work this way. HTC provides an app called Connected Media. It is a DLNA app. It provides both server and client functionality. This is one of the best apps from HTC.

I don't know of any working app for this on the Lumia. Maybe somebody else can chime in.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Andrew Griffiths

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I could not get the Lumia to work this way. HTC provides an app called Connected Media. It is a DLNA app. It provides both server and client functionality. This is one of the best apps from HTC.

I don't know of any working app for this on the Lumia. Maybe somebody else can chime in.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

And there's no way to get that app onto Lumia? Can you hack it on?

Andrew Griffiths

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that - very helpful.

Is there anything that can use an existing DLNA setup? I use Serviio for my TV and that works great, but tried Plex DLNA and it doesnt transcode properly :(

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It's Accomplished on Windows 7 using Windows Media Player 12 + a DLNA client. LG, Samsung, and HTC all have DLNA clients for their devices.

You cannot do it with the Zune Software, except to an XBox 360 (but an XB360 has Media Center Connect and functions as a DLNA client so even that is useless).

In Windows Media Player, see the attachment for where you have to enable it...

You can also access media over the internet through WMP. I think that goes through your Windows Live ID (similar to how Home Share uses your Apple ID, but I haven't used it so I'm not completely sure. The Help page seems descriptive enough, though :p ).

EDIT: Not sure if Connected Media will install on a non-HTC phone. Probably has as much luck getting it on there as you would getting Nokia Drive on a Titan II :p

Andrew Griffiths

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
It's Accomplished on Windows 7 using Windows Media Player 12 + a DLNA client. LG, Samsung, and HTC all have DLNA clients for their devices.

You cannot do it with the Zune Software, except to an XBox 360 (but an XB360 has Media Center Connect and functions as a DLNA client so even that is useless).

In Windows Media Player, see the attachment for where you have to enable it...

So there is no DLNA client that will work on the Nokia? :( Seems a bit silly of Nokia!

I already have the DLNA server setup, i just need an app for the phone...

Is there any way to install the apps from the other brands?

Andrew Griffiths

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I'll set it up on my computer and see how it functions with my Windows Phone device and get back to you on that.

To be clear - Plex doesnt work with my TV - it seems to work well with my Phone...

But I use the streaming more on my TV, so cant break that functionality. What I really need is DLNA streaming app on my Nokia phone...

Andrew Griffiths

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I've tried the application, and it does need a DLNA client to function. HTC connected media does indeed interact with the server correctly, but I also tried onePlayer, which I found to interact well also.

I would suggest trying onePlayer http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=7f89bfa5-4b18-4c2f-acc3-6fa3be125df5 (please try the trial first!) or running two servers on your computer. TVersity would have the least footprint in this scenario.

Thanks - i'll give onePlayer a go this evening - looks like it may well solve my problems!

Will report back...

Andrew Griffiths

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
So, oneplayer works. But it's naff - clearly designed for video rather than music - you can only add songs to the playlist one at a time :( not very practical!

Any other suggestions?!

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
So, oneplayer works. But it's naff - clearly designed for video rather than music - you can only add songs to the playlist one at a time :( not very practical!

Any other suggestions?!

The TVersity/My Media solution has worked for me. You will need to set up some sort of Dynamic DNS function too, though. It will cost you a few bucks but will do exactly what you want (other than having to set up a different DLNA app). TVersity also does DLNA I think so if you have something else using it you should still be okay.

Other than that, I think there's a Google Music player app (is Google Music still free?) in the marketplace.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
What is silly is not being able to plug it into the USB drive of your Xbox. I am sure Nokia is working on this, though with WP8 it will not be needed.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
There is an DNLA streaming app for the Lumia from Nokia, but it's still in Beta so not available on the marketplace yet.

You can get it from NokiaBetaLabs though -> Nokia Play To for Windows Phone | Nokia Beta Labs

Is that what you had in mind?

That app goes the other way, though. It lets you play pictures and videos from your WP to other DLNA devices. OP wants to use his Lumia to stream the media FROM his DLNA server.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss