facebook chat wont work

mrpinkeye

May 9, 2012
Visit site
iv tryed several tips iv found online regarding linking my windows live and facebook accounts but still cant get it to work with fb chat. it did work once ages ago but now says "cant connect". is there any new advice on how to get it working? would be a nice feature to have!

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I just did mine on my Lumia 900 and it works fine...almost too good cuz now everyone thinks I'm on FB and not at work:p

Double check your settings in Messages...That's were I had to make sure chat was enabled even though I had FB already linked.

mrpinkeye

May 9, 2012
Visit site
yup, defo have settings correct. just says "connecting" and then fails. its annoying that it worked once and just stopped! iv tryed via data connection and wifi, neither work :(

i have a few questions after more googling

1) will fb chat work with battery saver on?

2) does it have to be via a wifi connection?

3) do i have to have facebook contacts enabled in the people hub filter? or just chat enabled in message hub settings?

4) do i have to be signed out of fb on my pc?

sorry for so many but theres so many options and settings its driving me mad!

Last edited:

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that you need to worry about any of those questions you posted. I don't think any of them should impact your facebook chat.

Have you done a soft reset? That may fix it. Otherwise you may want to try and delete your facebook account (from the phone ;) ) and then reload it. Unless you have to do a lot of manual linking of contacts it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

mrpinkeye

May 9, 2012
Visit site
iv tryed a soft reset, removing and re-adding facebook on the phone, resyncing the acounts on phone, disabling battery saver, resyncing windows live and fb on my pc and still no joy :(

are there any 3rd party fb chat apps? i found one (i forget the name) it managed to find a list of my usual online friends but said they were all offline when some were def on at the time so i uninstalled it!

mrpinkeye

May 9, 2012
Visit site
ok, ignore that. for some reason all check boxes APART from chat were unticked. they are now all ticked and live.com shows peoples updates but still no chat on phone :(

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't mean Messenger social, I mean Messenger at the VERRRRRY top of the page. Do your Facebook contacts show up in that list?

anon(5339784)

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
When you go to Contacts on the Messenger website, does it say Facebook on the left, underneath "Messenger" under "All Contacts"? If not, then your FB account is not linked to your live account, you can do that by clicking the link on the left, just underneath the "Messenger", where it says something like "Manage Services".

mrpinkeye

May 9, 2012
Visit site
When you go to Contacts on the Messenger website, does it say Facebook on the left, underneath "Messenger" under "All Contacts"? If not, then your FB account is not linked to your live account, you can do that by clicking the link on the left, just underneath the "Messenger", where it says something like "Manage Services".

yes, facebook is listed under "all contacts" :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven