What would it take to quite the uproar

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
The growing uproar regarding present windows phones not receiving Apollo is building. So my question is what would it take to turn the whole issue around and give WP a shot in the arm that would be truly innovative. I have a solution that should please almost everyone who really wants the new phones. Offer a one time and one time only deal to cancel all contracts that have less than a year remaining if you upgrade to an Apollo device.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Nothing. You can't satisfy majority of people that are disgruntled, ESPECIALLY over as small detailed as this. You have no flippin' reason to be upset yet people are. Ridiculous

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
do another large update whether wp7 update or apollo lite.

Cancel contracts would never happen
Here I have an issue, there has never been a time in my memory which goes back to the original windows OS that a software company, any software company introduced a new OS and then upgraded the old OS? Contracts are not etched in stone, I upgraded to a smartphone without having to extend my contract at ATT. ATT has a new LTE network. How are they going to entice users who can not take advantage of the network without devices that will be able to work properly on the network?
How can you offer new features like NFC as an Apollo option when our current devices are not hardware capable? Apollo has to be Apollo, support what we have yes but anything more that even hints of a Apollo subset is failure.

As to pleasing everyone that was not my intention, I said almost everyone who really wants the new phones.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
How can you offer new features like NFC as an Apollo option when our current devices are not hardware capable? Apollo has to be Apollo, support what we have yes but anything more that even hints of a Apollo subset is failure.
Windows Phone can already disable features based on hardware or location. Why do people forget about this? Tango is one update, yet on 256MB devices it knows to disable background tasks. Apps which require a FFC can't be installed on my Omnia 7.

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The growing uproar regarding present windows phones not receiving Apollo is building. So my question is what would it take to turn the whole issue around and give WP a shot in the arm that would be truly innovative. I have a solution that should please almost everyone who really wants the new phones. Offer a one time and one time only deal to cancel all contracts that have less than a year remaining if you upgrade to an Apollo device.

How do you not piss off a user base that is not even 2 years old yet? You don't. I know if my Lumia doesn't receive the next big release my next phone will not have Windows software on it. It isn't because I hate the current software far from it. It is just means Microsoft lacks vision and is unable to execute it's vision. Which is not a company worth supporting.

Last edited:

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I personally see it as a spit in the face of the current user base. I just dont see us not getting at least an apollo lite of some sort. That 2% they currently have will dissipate into thin air if they dont. i currently love mango but i would like a device i just spend alot of money to get the same treatment as all the other new phones.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
BAH!

worst case , current phones dont get the update , we piss off a few existing clients (us) .. and make MILLIONS of new clients happy...

ether way ... not a big deal .

and canceling contracts , the ONLY way that could happen is if the OEM or MS paid off the canceling fees for allt he clients ( cancel fees = credits given on phone normally ) that's 200-400$ a client...

not gona happen.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Just because a new update comes out doesn't mean your phone will stop working. Microsoft is executing their vision. They had to get something out ASAP to at least be in the market so retooling Windows CE was the fastest route. Then they could work on Windows 8 across the board for all device types.

Two years ago when Apple stopped supporting my iPhone 3G I didn't cry about it. I won't cry if my Lumia 900 doesn't get updated.

I'd rather have a working Lumia in it's current state than for MS to try and shoehorn WP8 to work on the old devices and have a bad experience. Exactly the reason why my iPhone 3G never upgraded to iOS 4; it did not work well on the old hardware and ruined the experience.

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Just because a new update comes out doesn't mean your phone will stop working. Microsoft is executing their vision. They had to get something out ASAP to at least be in the market so retooling Windows CE was the fastest route. Then they could work on Windows 8 across the board for all device types.

Two years ago when Apple stopped supporting my iPhone 3G I didn't cry about it. I won't cry if my Lumia 900 doesn't get updated.

I'd rather have a working Lumia in it's current state than for MS to try and shoehorn WP8 to work on the old devices and have a bad experience. Exactly the reason why my iPhone 3G never upgraded to iOS 4; it did not work well on the old hardware and ruined the experience.

If they had any vision it would not lead to orphaning 3 different OS's (WinMO, Kin, and now WP 7) . Not to mention one of the orphans is not even 2 years old yet. That is poor vision and a lack of planning.

I am not saying the phone will stop working but I will say if they can't get Apollo onto 1 year old devices they will have damaged their brand to the point that 2% market share will seem like they are flushed with customers.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
People should calm down but they won't,I don't see what the big deal is. Apple can be silent on things regarding the iPhone but it's a crime when MS does it. MS wants to succeed in mobile and they know what they have to do, and they're doing it. It's likely that Gen 1 devices such as the HD7 won't get the update but it is very unlikely that Gen 1.5 devices such as the titan 2 and lumia 900 won't get the update.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
That is poor vision and a lack of planning.

Or they just couldn't pull it off. They may have been faced with the choices (a) get out of mobile and plan on a much smaller microsoft in the future, and start laying people off or (b) do a 2-step transition to their new Win8-based mobile strategy that pisses off some of your loyal customers but gives them a way to continue growing. Both options are bad, but the second one is less bad.

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Or they just couldn't pull it off. They may have been faced with the choices (a) get out of mobile and plan on a much smaller microsoft in the future, and start laying people off or (b) do a 2-step transition to their new Win8-based mobile strategy that pisses off some of your loyal customers but gives them a way to continue growing. Both options are bad, but the second one is less bad.

Guess it is the difference between an engineering based company and a consumer driven company. To orphan 3 mobile operating systems would make me believe that microsoft would be better off just supplying apps to the two dominant players in iOS and Android.

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
People should calm down but they won't,I don't see what the big deal is. Apple can be silent on things regarding the iPhone but it's a crime when MS does it. MS wants to succeed in mobile and they know what they have to do, and they're doing it. It's likely that Gen 1 devices such as the HD7 won't get the update but it is very unlikely that Gen 1.5 devices such as the titan 2 and lumia 900 won't get the update.
Eric from looking at the specs available to us now I agree you've made the point well. Secondly if the contract is less than a year old the carriers have made their money. Note nothing is more profitable than a simple text message with the rates we're paying how can they loose a dime? In effect you'd going into another contract and the product would entice the user to consume even more data, hear the sound of more money in their pocket. True be told the suggestion regarding concubines would be the be a winner hands down:blush:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett