The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-17-2012 12:31 PM
47 12
tools
    This HD7 has actually negatively impacted my QoL. I am not paying those prices Mango device hardware. They aren't worth $450+.
    You're being nonsensical. The HD7 has been so horrible as to affect your quality of life?

If the HD7 were that horrible, you would have bought a new phone a long time ago. What's $300 (the price of an off-contract mid-end Android) to 99% of Americans when something is actually adversely affecting their "quality of life"? You'd spend $300 to go to the dentist if your tooth really ached. You'd spend $300 to go see a physician over serious backpain. Heck, just the occasional ambulance to the hospital cost multiple times than $300. These are examples of things that actually affect your "quality of life".

You don't say something as frivolous as a smartphone is adversely affecting your "quality of life" and, when something is actually affecting your quality of life, you certainly aren't as nonplussed by it as to be willing to wait till your wireless contract expires! A stale sandwich does not affect your "quality of life". A bruise on your knee does not affect your "quality of life". And a smartphone that you don't particularly like isn't affecting your "quality of life".

I hate it when people make a big deal over problems they can solve so effortlessly. But, if you asked me, those people who complain about easily solved problems don't actually have problems. They just like to complain about stuff. I bet your next phone will be an Apollo phone just so you could come back to WPCentral to make a fuss about it. /rant
    jimmy1one, invertme and cckgz4 like this.
    05-13-2012 03:55 PM
    You're being nonsensical. The HD7 has been so horrible as to affect your quality of life?

If the HD7 were that horrible, you would have bought a new phone a long time ago. What's $300 (the price of an off-contract mid-end Android) to 99% of Americans when something is actually adversely affecting their "quality of life"? You'd spend $300 to go to the dentist if your tooth really ached. You'd spend $300 to go see a physician over serious backpain. Heck, just the occasional ambulance to the hospital cost multiple times than $300. These are examples of things that actually affect your "quality of life".

You don't say something as frivolous as a smartphone is adversely affecting your "quality of life" and, when something is actually affecting your quality of life, you certainly aren't as nonplussed by it as to be willing to wait till your wireless contract expires! A stale sandwich does not affect your "quality of life". A bruise on your knee does not affect your "quality of life". And a smartphone that you don't particularly like isn't affecting your "quality of life".

I hate it when people make a big deal over problems they can solve so effortlessly. But, if you asked me, those people who complain about easily solved problems don't actually have problems. They just like to complain about stuff. I bet your next phone will be an Apollo phone just so you could come back to WPCentral to make a fuss about it. /rant
    Yes, that's all it is... A rant. I'm not going to quote myself from other threads. Obviously you are not well versed on the issues these phones face, nor are you well versed in T-Mobile's apparent failings as far as their network performance in many areas.

1. Their 3G here with full bars is 150-250 kbps down.

2. This phone's WiFi is completely broken and borderline non-functional. I've already had my phone replaced, it's not a device issue and it's not even specific to this phone it's a platform issue that many people on tons different devices are experiencing.

3. Sound Quality doesn't match up, screen is terrible, camera is iffy (pink tint, etc.).

4. Battery Life is not great.

Lastly, I had two active smartphones each with active SIMS with unlimited data plans, so don't tell me how cheap it is to have two smartphones. I had two. I sold the other one and ETF'd that line. No one wants to touch this one, so I will sit on it til my contract runs out and walk away from T-Mobile.

Just because I have disposable income doesn't mean I'm prone to wasting money. I do have other things to spend it on :P

Oh, almost forgot... Some of us are actually heavy smartphone users and use the crap out of our phones. We do more than just check the People Hub for lolSocial Updates now and then. When a phone malfunctions and/or doesn't work correctly it - yes - does negatively impact your QoL. Ask any iPhone Antennagate sufferer if they'd agree with that. Ask anyone who dealt with the disappearing keyboard for 4-5 months if they'd agree with that. Ask anyone who has to disable their data connection just to connect to a WiFi hotspot if they'd agree with that.

It's a perfectly logical statement to make. Ranting about my choice of words, however, isn't.

Why do you people "hate" so much? :P

I'm pretty sure the general consensus has always been that Microsoft had to move fast to be and remain competitive in Mobile. They haven't. It takes them half a year to ship out critical bug fixes, among other things. Why should anyone feel the need to wait for Microsoft to deliver when there are alternatives out right now that do just that? They shouldn't...
    05-13-2012 05:27 PM
    Sorry N8ter, can't quote your post. Damn Board Express. Anyway, I am sure based on your comments you have had problems with your device, and not disputing that, but:
    1.) You get what you pay for, so complaint is not valid.
    2.) Never had a problem with WiFi on my Surround (17 months) or my L900. Further, I read a lot of blogs and posts, and till now have only seen a handful of users reporting issues regarding. So not certain that this is an OS issue. Maybe your WiFi network, Carrier stuff added to phone, or some weird combination of app installs/events.
    3. Can't comment as I have only played with an HD7 in store.
    4. I have yet to own "any" device with great battery performance. It's all relative. I think the HD7 has a 1230mAh battery, same as the Surround. Makes the phone nice and thin, but a dumb choice. Blame HTC for that. An 1800mAh battery would have been better, bit still not great.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    05-13-2012 06:11 PM
    Do you use WiFi tethering on your Surround?

My HD2 got bettery battery life than this phone with the same size battery so it's not just because the battery is smaller :P
    05-13-2012 06:15 PM
    1.) No
    2.) Oh, so you are one of those users who expect improved device performance without it impacting battery life. Even though battery technology has not changed in how many years.

Sounds to me like you are a beta tester. Time to move on.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    05-13-2012 06:28 PM
    WP7 is at a turning point. HTC, Samsung, and LG are making phones to just keep their toes in the market - nothing really innovative on the hardware side (even if you don't like Android you must admit the new HTC One series phones are a striking set of well designed handsets). Nokia has bet the company on WP7 and while the Lumia seems to be selling well we need to understand that Nokia needs to sell 10s of millions (not just millions) of handsets to stop the erosion of market share and reverse the losses - They lost $1.7 BILLION (with a Big B) and probably another couple of hundred million with the courtesy credit ($100 each) for the Lumia 900. It looks like WP8 is going to have cutting edge hardware (not going to get into whether it "needs" it or not. You are looking at WP8 with 720P displays, dual/quad core processors, 1GB ram, 32GB+ storage with backwards app compatibility to give them a leg up with the new OS. Will this be enough to sell? They better launch by the fall, launch on all 4 carriers (especially Verizon with LTE), and have a huge marketing campaign. I don't think Windows 8 on the desktop will have anything (pro or con) to do with the success of WP8. Windows users have had no problem buying and using iPhone or Android. I do think Windows 8 will help Win RT (Windows on ARM tablets). Any thoughts on how much the abandonment of WP7 users for WP8 will affect the platform?
    05-13-2012 06:31 PM
    Apollo will be too little too late for me. I'm getting a new phone in July, and I'm not waiting for anyone. This HD7 has actually negatively impacted my QoL. I am not paying those prices Mango device hardware. They aren't worth $450+.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    If a mobile phone affects your quality of life, I really worry about what sort of losers these technology is creating.
    invertme likes this.
    05-14-2012 04:49 AM
    Apollo will be too little too late for me. I'm getting a new phone in July, and I'm not waiting for anyone. This HD7 has actually negatively impacted my QoL. I am not paying those prices Mango device hardware. They aren't worth $450+.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

I see it this way: I pay for the OS I like and how fluid it is and it runs more than excellent on the given hardware. I don't need better hardware at all specially if it really won't do any difference.

You can pay the same money for a phone if you want that has better hardware. Some of it anyway. But instead you'll have a OS that is choppy and unresponsive in comparison even though the hardware is better. So it will feel slower even though it has faster hardware. But perhaps you are more happy to know the hardware is there I don't know. Like a true Androider who sits and watch their benchmark tests ;)

iPhone you can't possibly buy juding by your comment so that's not an option for you.
    Last edited by dannejanne; 05-14-2012 at 07:24 AM.
    mud314 and invertme like this.
    05-14-2012 05:32 AM
    windows 8.

Tablet will boost the smart phone market. Its why I am just starting with WP7

I used to use an Ipad but Windows 8 consumer addition blew me away, especially when I installed it on an HP slate. I am anxiously waiting for the final release.
    Man, I'd love to see W8 on a slate. I am like you, I use to own an iPad but after one year to the day I grew so bored with it. I couldn't wait to get rid of it, then a buddy of mine helped with my backyard and he refused payment but wanted an iPad (made no sense) so I gave him my iPad. I will never ever do concrete again :P

Any idea IF W8 can be installed on a WebOS tablet?
    invertme likes this.
    05-14-2012 03:34 PM
    Man, I'd love to see W8 on a slate. I am like you, I use to own an iPad but after one year to the day I grew so bored with it. I couldn't wait to get rid of it, then a buddy of mine helped with my backyard and he refused payment but wanted an iPad (made no sense) so I gave him my iPad. I will never ever do concrete again :P

Any idea IF W8 can be installed on a WebOS tablet?
    Not that I am aware of (W8 on WebOS tablet)

You can get an Acer Iconia Tab W500-BZ467 for $380 dollars (refurbished) if you really want to try Windows 8 consumer on it.
    05-14-2012 04:00 PM
    honestly , they made it now!

and let me explain before people start thinking im just being BIAS because I love a great device...

WP has successfully made it because :

1: the OS is growing EVERY day , traffic on Sites related to WP is getting more and more hits! so people are more and more interesting ( its going up , so its good )

2. we now have AT&T and Nokia both pushing WP , 2 years ago they dint even want to talk/look at it , now people are talking!!! and positively on top of that!!! lol

3: MS has done a great JOB at getting official DEV to FINALLY start recognizing the OS ( like Ashley talks about about this weeks Monday brief ) . we are getting more and more official apps coming over!!!!

4: the OS it self is a GREAT innovative piece of tech: right there that's good :) , and any one sick of RIM/Android or Iphone now has a GREAT home to turn to :) ( witch is more and more people as the are getting sick of it ... Iphone for 5 years , id get sick of it too. lol )

5: the ECOSYSTEM will also help allot with WP8 / W8

6: aside from the random 0-10 feature people complains bout on day to day basses .. its a GREAT PHONE .. and any one that says differently is just missed informed .. ( not saying its the best or it has ALL the things you need ... but its still a GREAT PHONE!! it just works! )

7: its not WM. self explanatory for any one who used WM before lol ( aside from the few feature it had that WP doesnt.. :S lol )

I just dont think one or 2 missing feature that pisses off 1-5% of the WP user basse is enought to make this OS/Phone shiity, hellI could LIST pages and pages of bad thigns about EVERY OS .. WP included.. but whats the point...

that's my point of view :)

:happy:
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 05-14-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    snowmutt and Aeon2k like this.
    05-14-2012 04:14 PM
    I'd say its a success when people realise its iPhone vs. Android vs. Windows Phone, although seeing as BlackBerry is still (the most) popular in the UK (due to kids), I feel we have a ruddy long time to wait.
    05-14-2012 07:47 PM
    Very simple. Anyone who knows anything about cell phones knows of iOS, Android and BB. I meet too many people who either never have heard of WP7 or think it is just some upgraded version of Windows Mobile. WP is a success when you can mention WP to the average cell phone user and they know what your talking about.
    05-14-2012 08:47 PM
    I'd say its a success when people realise its iPhone vs. Android vs. Windows Phone, although seeing as BlackBerry is still (the most) popular in the UK (due to kids), I feel we have a ruddy long time to wait.
    The issue is it's not. It's still Android vs. iOS vs. Blackberry. Blackberry 10 will pass WP7 marketshare numbers almost immediately just based on the number of current BB users who upgrade from BB7 devices to a BB10 device - and possibly the number of BB defectors who will go back to RIM. They still have a huge lead on WP7 - especially in World-Wide Marketshare (when you get out of the ComScore US Marketshare numbers bubble) and they won't be ceding that to Microsoft anytime soon.

Microsoft also has little to no momentum in the Corporate sector - much less even than iOS and Android, nevermind RIM who could probably beat them there with BB6 devices, even. RIM has a niche that can keep them afloat, Microsoft doesn't. They did have a decent chunk of the corporate sector with Windows Mobile (which is why WM still has higher marketshare than WP7), but they are losing that.

---

As for the poster above: WiFi tethering has been tested by users and it's a possible trigger point for the WiFi issues on WP7.5 devices (the issue popped up in the Mango update), so if you don't use it the chances of you experiencing that issue is close to Nil if not exactly that.

We were all beta testers, at least all of us who got 1st gen devices on release. It's common knowledge that the OS was at beast RC status back then, and there were a number of critical bugs and ommissions on release which persisted until NoDo and/or Beyond.

---

To the other poster, yes smart deviecs affect our Quality of Life. I don't think I need to explain this any further. Trying to deny that doesn't make any sense to me, except for the sake of argumentation, which I am not interested in ATM.

However it seems odd that people would disagree so fervently, but respond in a tone that would imply that you've impacted their QoL just by giving opinions and/or observations they don't like or agree with. It's just a smartphone OS, right?

I mean, being able to check into flights or book Amtrak while on the go with a dedicated app doesn't increase my QoL. Being able to order food on a phone doesn't. Being able to chat in am MMORPG from my smartphone doesn't. None of that. It's just fluff :P Malfunctioning smartphone functionality is totally ignorable and it's just a phone so we should ignore the software and/or hardware defects on any device (while users here say they moved to WP7 cause android was Buggy and laggy, as if it matters cause it has no impact on your QoL as far as some here are concerned, right?). Astounding levels of hypocrisy herein.

2. we now have AT&T and Nokia both pushing WP , 2 years ago they dint even want to talk/look at it , now people are talking!!! and positively on top of that!!! lol
    Does not compute. AT&T was announced as a premium partner before WP7 launched. Nokia has been on the WP7 bandwagon since forever since they don't really have much of a choice with their "burning platforms." Of course they will push it.

Things look different when you go to Sprint and Verizon, or even T-Mobile with their lack of any Mango devices above mid-range (which is sort of confusing for WP7 since all the devices technically are mid-range, just the screen sizes and internal storage/LTE support differ).

What people are talking, tech blogs and their commenters, or average people around town? So far I've seen one other person with a WP7 device (a focus), and that was over a year ago and 1300 miles away from where I am now. I haven't seen any since I've been living here but I see tons of Androids, iPhones, and Blackberries (Torches and Bolds mostly, a Curve here and there).

I have had people ask me about my phone though, since it was something they had never seen before (the User Interface, etc.), but they didn't seem impressed to the point that they'd want one (nor am I interested in selling phones for T-Mobile or AT&T).
    Last edited by N8ter; 05-15-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    05-15-2012 10:13 AM
    WP7 will need 10% market share (critical mass) before it can be considered a success. At that point it will be worth for most companies to release versions for WP7 closely behind those for Android and iOS. Until that point, it won't be much different than WebOS where it has a hugely devoted fan base but no commercial success. It's hard to see how 1.5% market share after 2 years can be considered a success. While the selling out of Lumia 900s is seen as a success by many on this site the fact is that it will not stop the bleeding of cash by Nokia and won't result in any uptick of WP7 market share when Android is activating 850,000 devices a day (must be all phones since the tablets aren't selling) and Apple is selling over 100 million iPhones a year. 80% of all Phone sold on ATT are iPhones and it is already the best selling single device on Sprint and Verizon.
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-15-2012 02:01 PM
    First off, while I like the question and enjoy the responses, let me take it a step further:

Instead of "When will Windows Phones be succesful.."

How about "When will Windows Phones be secure in the mobile marketplace?"

I agree with everyone defending that WP 7.5 IS succesful, and that WP8 is assured of some measure of greater success. It will have more features, more advanced devices, a small but growing consumer base, and be available on Tablets and PC's/laptops like no other OS before it. But, there are still huge hurtles to clear:

-WP needs manufacturers excited for it. LG is bailing on it, Samsung and HTC are only willing to commit to a couple devices for WP8 and have been very poor at supporting their current crop of devices. It doesn't matter what we may think of these companies (as I am sure someone will say who cares about LG", or whatever), for WP to be secure, it needs these OEM onboard.

-Need devices on all carriers in all markets. Sprint and Verizon in the US, the entire Europe and Asia markets, developing markets in Africa and China, and who knows how many others need to have access to WP choices. And good selections for the customer bases- both high end and low tier.

-Some support from the manufacturers. Would love to see HTC bragging on the camera in Titan 2 commercials the way they are for the HTC One. I think the Focus 2 is a wonderful phone- white/silver colors make it stand out, the Super AMOLED is gorgeous, it is perfect for the smaller screen crowd and cheaper than the Nokia 900 with LTE. But let's be honest: without advertisement from Sammy, it is not going to be a hit.

-Stronger fan base. As in the iPhone/Android/Crackberry crowd that is loyal to those OS's are still much larger and loyal than we are. Ours is growing, but not even close.

-And yes, continued sales and marketshare. Microsoft still wants to make money. If the marketshare isn't in the 10% - 20% after WP8, when will it be? There are continued reports of growth in sales, but WP worldwide is still below 5% and less than 2% in the US. That just isn't good enough.

I love my WP, and want no reason to leave. I want WP to be like Dairy Queen: Good, just ain't good enough. Successful is relative, but being secure in the marketplace isn't. I want WP secure and thinking 2 years down the road, safe in the thought that it is profitible, fun, and a true competitor in the mobile market.
    05-15-2012 05:15 PM
    It became a success when I learned to stop acting like I was a personal investor for companies that I liked. Getting caught up in these back and forth opinions/theories/prophecies are getting old. Fast.
    05-16-2012 12:38 AM
    And WOW @ that post about all his WP problems from a first gen device, but will QUICKLY strike down on people that say "Android lags" because they didn't use a "current" android device
    05-16-2012 12:44 AM
    And WOW @ that post about all his WP problems from a first gen device, but will QUICKLY strike down on people that say "Android lags" because they didn't use a "current" android device
    Seriously.

Android lags on every device I've ever used. Early reviews have said it even lags on the new Samsung quad core super phone. The UI lag is attributed to an inherent flaw in Android that it's way too late to change now, touch events run on the main thread in the OS so they don't get prioritized the way they do on phone OS's that were designed to prioritize touch input from the beginning like iOS and Windows Phone.

Hardware acceleration and throwing cores and ghz at it won't solve the problem. They may make it less noticeable, but the way they just keep heaping clock-cycle sucking graphical fluff on Android it will be a constant battle.

Android is a funny thing. It's a Linux variant and Linux is known for being tidy and efficient but Android is anything but. It's a non-touch OS jury-rigged into working by touch that runs all it's apps through a virtual machine instead of using native code. Just a f***ing mess from top to bottom. Google was more concerned about getting it out the door ASAP and getting lots of apps for it by using Java running through a virtual machine than they were with doing it right and keeping the code lean and mean, and it really shows.
    Aeon2k likes this.
    05-16-2012 10:56 AM
    To me it is a success when I dont have to worry about it being discontinued.
    05-16-2012 06:40 PM
    Couple of things:
    1) It's referred to as a 3 legged race.
    2) No one thinks Windows Phone will die.
    3) Carriers actually support it.
    4) People look forward to new devices on the platform.
    5) Exclusive top-tier apps on the platform.
    05-16-2012 07:47 PM
    Same issues on Mango devices. Learn to Google. I have a thread with the links on this forum, feel free to Search as well :P

I didn't get a Mango devices cause the benefits of getting one are close to nil.
    05-17-2012 12:31 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD