08-28-2012 06:08 PM
111 12345
tools
    There's nothing wrong with IE. Just like there's nothing wrong with WP. But they've been saddled with the legacies of IE 6 and WM.
    So true :(

I never used WM, so I don't have that experience.

I only started using IE 9 (was a firefox user), well actually IE 10 (my main OS is Windows 8 consumer edition, lol and I am going to try to install Diablo III on it)
    05-13-2012 10:31 PM
    I really hate to see people bash IE, especially since everything wrong with it was fixed with IE9, what exactly is wrong with it? It passes 100% on the standards test.
    IE9 64-bit is still slow as a snail, compared to Chrome. Most of the benchmark tests do not even bother testing it, since it is so slow.

I also prefer browsers that are platform-agnostic, since I run Linux more than Windows anyway. That is why I have IE9 installed, but do not use it in Windows; and I do not even have Safari installed.

Although I love Windows Phone, I am not a fangirl of everything Redmond produces.
    05-13-2012 11:18 PM
    There's nothing wrong with IE. Just like there's nothing wrong with WP. But they've been saddled with the legacies of IE 6 and WM.
    64-bit IE9 is slow. The BIG browser benchmark! Chrome 16/15 vs Opera 11 vs IE9 vs Firefox 9/8 vs Safari 5 | ZDNet
    05-13-2012 11:22 PM
    Who cares. At the end of the day the average person doesn't give a flying bird about the performance of a browser. The only reason Chrome is popular is the strength of googles name. Let's face it, google is really popular and a powerful brand right now. I personally don't use any google software or services but even I know this. But when it comes to benchmarks, the average person really doesn't care. They will use whatever is popular at the time
    05-13-2012 11:33 PM
    Conclusion from that article

"Also, given how well IE 9 performed in these tests, sticking with the default browser that comes with Windows no longer gives you an inferior web experience"
    eric12341 likes this.
    05-13-2012 11:40 PM
    Who cares. At the end of the day the average person doesn't give a flying bird about the performance of a browser. The only reason Chrome is popular is the strength of googles name. Let's face it, google is really popular and a powerful brand right now. I personally don't use any google software or services but even I know this. But when it comes to benchmarks, the average person really doesn't care. They will use whatever is popular at the time
    Gmail is my default e-mail account. I do not wish to pay for IMAP, and Gmail uses IMAP and is free. Gmail also has better spam filters than many others. Yahoo Mail is the worst when it comes to spam.

I do want a fast browser. Firefox has become laggy lately. When a page takes 20 seconds longer to open in a particular browser, it is time to choose something else.
    05-13-2012 11:46 PM
    Conclusion from that article

"Also, given how well IE 9 performed in these tests, sticking with the default browser that comes with Windows no longer gives you an inferior web experience"
    I still prefer a browser that is cross-platform. IE is useless to a Linux user.
    05-13-2012 11:47 PM
    Gmail is my default e-mail account. I do not wish to pay for IMAP, and Gmail uses IMAP and is free. Gmail also has better spam filters than many others. Yahoo Mail is the worst when it comes to spam.

I do want a fast browser. Firefox has become laggy lately. When a page takes 20 seconds longer to open in a particular browser, it is time to choose something else.
    Again who cares. Your not a casual user. Exactly what I was trying to say before. This isn't about power users. If Windows Phone and Windows 8 are going to succeed they are going to have to be accepted by the casual users
    eric12341 likes this.
    05-13-2012 11:51 PM
    Again who cares. Your not a casual user. Exactly what I was trying to say before. This isn't about power users. If Windows Phone and Windows 8 are going to succeed they are going to have to be accepted by the casual users
    You have a point there.

I do not necessarily believe that Windows 8 needs to be successful in order for Windows Phone to be successful, though. For example, SkyDrive does not even require one to run any desktop version of Windows. Any web browser works with SkyDrive.
    05-14-2012 12:00 AM
    You have a point there.

I do not necessarily believe that Windows 8 needs to be successful in order for Windows Phone to be successful, though. For example, SkyDrive does not even require one to run any desktop version of Windows. Any web browser works with SkyDrive.
    Where Windows Phone needs Windows 8 is it's name and power as a brand. The Windows PC userbase is far beyond any OS, desktop or mobile. Windows 8 will be the first time many people will see or use the metro UI. More people are going to use metro for the first time on Windows 8 than they will on WP. That is why Windows 8 is important for WP, as it introduces the metro UI to the masses. When people get a taste of Windows 8 metro UI, they will be familiar with it when they see Windows Phone. WP OS will not be as foreign to them as it is now. Plus when they see how well integrated WP is with Microsoft services, it can help push Windows Phone devices. It's all about getting the metro UI to as many people as possible, then lure them in to the rest of the ecosystem
    05-14-2012 12:12 AM
    Where Windows Phone needs Windows 8 is it's name and power as a brand. The Windows PC userbase is far beyond any OS, desktop or mobile. Windows 8 will be the first time many people will see or use the metro UI. More people are going to use metro for the first time on Windows 8 than they will on WP. That is why Windows 8 is important for WP, as it introduces the metro UI to the masses. When people get a taste of Windows 8 metro UI, they will be familiar with it when they see Windows Phone. WP OS will not be as foreign to them as it is now. Plus when they see how well integrated WP is with Microsoft services, it can help push Windows Phone devices. It's all about getting the metro UI to as many people as possible, then lure them in to the rest of the ecosystem
    That makes sense.

However, I am not sure how many average users will bother buying new PCs or bother buying Windows 8 for the desktop.

For example, I have a friend who basically just uses his desktop PC to surf the web and send emails. He is still running XP. I do not see him updating to Win8 or buying a new PC, since he had no interest in Vista or 7. He chose the downgrade from Vista to XP option when he bought his PC 3 years ago.
    05-14-2012 12:26 AM
    That makes sense.

However, I am not sure how many average users will bother buying new PCs or bother buying Windows 8 for the desktop.

For example, I have a friend who basically just uses his desktop PC to surf the web and send emails. He is still running XP. I do not see him updating to Win8 or buying a new PC, since he had no interest in Vista or 7. He chose the downgrade from Vista to XP option when he bought his PC 3 years ago.
    Yes, I'm still on XP myself but that doesn't mean I don't plan on upgrading soon. You can't assume people are not going to buy Windows 8 based on 1 friends situation. That's not strong enough to make a case. In fact, Windows 7 success speaks for itself. Windows 7 has about 700+ million sold. That's a huge number. That means if Windows 8 can sell like that, that's 700+ million more potential Windows Phone customers
    eric12341 likes this.
    05-14-2012 12:36 AM
    Yes, I'm still on XP myself but that doesn't mean I don't plan on upgrading soon. You can't assume people are not going to buy Windows 8 based on 1 friends situation. That's not strong enough to make a case. In fact, Windows 7 success speaks for itself. Windows 7 has about 700+ million sold. That's a huge number. That means if Windows 8 can sell like that, that's 700+ million more potential Windows Phone customers
    I totally understand your point.

I guess I should clarify by saying some people lack technical skills. My friend has been using XP for almost 10 years now. I would not even encourage him to update, since I would get stuck teaching him how to use his computer again.

The only IT projects I want are either paid positions in companies or my own personal experimentations. I have no desire to provide free tech support to everyone I know.
    05-14-2012 12:51 AM
    I totally understand your point.

I guess I should clarify by saying some people lack technical skills. My friend has been using XP for almost 10 years now. I would not even encourage him to update, since I would get stuck teaching him how to use his computer again.

The only IT projects I want are either paid positions in companies or my own personal experimentations. I have no desire to provide free tech support to everyone I know.
    Yea, well that's not going to stop anyone from getting something they want. Lol

Honestly, I think Windows 8 sales will probably do better than even Windows 7 did, and Windows 7 had record sales. The reason I say this is cause some people don't upgrade cause they don't really see any real changes to the OS. I think Windows 8 is a big enough change to make people want to upgrade or at least be more curious than they have for past versions. It's not just the same old Windows anymore. It's different, it should attract a lot of people who are tired of the same Windows experience we've had forever. It will be interesting to see how people react to it
    05-14-2012 01:02 AM
    Yea, well that's not going to stop anyone from getting something they want. Lol

Honestly, I think Windows 8 sales will probably do better than even Windows 7 did, and Windows 7 had record sales. The reason I say this is cause some people don't upgrade cause they don't really see any real changes to the OS. I think Windows 8 is a big enough change to make people want to upgrade or at least be more curious than they have for past versions. It's not just the same old Windows anymore. It's different, it should attract a lot of people who are tired of the same Windows experience we've had forever. It will be interesting to see how people react to it
    I could see many users that you just described getting RT tablets, rather than upgrading their desktops/laptops.

A person who just does browsing/email/Facebook really would not have a reason to upgrade his desktop/laptop. However, a tablet might appeal to that type of user, if he is not interested in a iPad.
    05-14-2012 01:09 AM
    I could see many users that you just described getting RT tablets, rather than upgrading their desktops/laptops.

A person who just does browsing/email/Facebook really would not have a reason to upgrade his desktop/laptop. However, a tablet might appeal to that type of user, if he is not interested in a iPad.
    Maybe so but RT is still Windows 8 and it's still metro. It will help influence WP sales
    05-14-2012 01:12 AM
    That's true.

Microsoft really needs to ditch the RT name. It sounds too much like NT. "Metro" would be a better name. Maybe even ditch the name "Windows" completely.

There is no Windows in Xbox, and Xbox does not have any negative associations from the Windows name.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-14-2012 01:22 AM
    That's true.

Microsoft really needs to ditch the RT name. It sounds too much like NT. "Metro" would be a better name. Maybe even ditch the name "Windows" completely.

There is no Windows in Xbox, and Xbox does not have any negative associations from the Windows name.

I agree with RT but I don't know about Windows. That's a huge risk to take. Windows name is too big to kill now. Knowing Microsoft's track record with naming products, it's best they leave it alone. Lol
    05-14-2012 01:25 AM
    If they want the. "cool" factor with consumers, rather than the "business" factor, Windows might have to go.

05-14-2012 01:28 AM
    I'm convinced RT might be just a code name for now since it's still pretty far from release. Sort of like Project Natal. Kinect didn't get it's name til near it's release date
    05-14-2012 01:31 AM
    Good point there. Vista was codenamed Longhorn.

05-14-2012 01:33 AM
    Yea, Longhorn definitely was not cool. Lol
    05-14-2012 01:36 AM
    Not wise to knock something when we don't know how it fully works yet. That's the biggest mistake people made and still are making about WP.
    You've lost me, we do know how W8 will work - I'm using it to post this - it's not going to vary widely from the TP.
    05-14-2012 02:07 PM
    You've lost me, we do know how W8 will work - I'm using it to post this - it's not going to vary widely from the TP.
    Well the entire experience isn't yet fully implemented, that's what I meant.
    05-14-2012 02:38 PM
    I came to experience WP7 and the Windows 8 grudgingly, I like my OS X, I like all other sorts of handsets, just didn't care for the tiles....at first. Now that I have been using Windows 8, I love it. It's a bit sluggish yes, but hey it's not even the finish product. My short run on Windows Phone 7 (long story, back to iPhone 4) has left me wanting more of the WP7 goodness. It really is a wonderful OS. I love how it does pretty much everything out of the box. Skydrive integration is awesome, iCloud is a joke compared to Skydrive. The next few months while I wait for a new phone to come to VZ is going to be LONG!!!!

PS...Incredibly jealous of those of you on AT&T with the Lumia, I'd so own one in Cyan right now if I could get service up here in the sticks.
    05-14-2012 03:30 PM
111 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD