So this is my prediction on WP success

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Where Windows Phone needs Windows 8 is it's name and power as a brand. The Windows PC userbase is far beyond any OS, desktop or mobile. Windows 8 will be the first time many people will see or use the metro UI. More people are going to use metro for the first time on Windows 8 than they will on WP. That is why Windows 8 is important for WP, as it introduces the metro UI to the masses. When people get a taste of Windows 8 metro UI, they will be familiar with it when they see Windows Phone. WP OS will not be as foreign to them as it is now. Plus when they see how well integrated WP is with Microsoft services, it can help push Windows Phone devices. It's all about getting the metro UI to as many people as possible, then lure them in to the rest of the ecosystem

That makes sense.

However, I am not sure how many average users will bother buying new PCs or bother buying Windows 8 for the desktop.

For example, I have a friend who basically just uses his desktop PC to surf the web and send emails. He is still running XP. I do not see him updating to Win8 or buying a new PC, since he had no interest in Vista or 7. He chose the downgrade from Vista to XP option when he bought his PC 3 years ago.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense.

However, I am not sure how many average users will bother buying new PCs or bother buying Windows 8 for the desktop.

For example, I have a friend who basically just uses his desktop PC to surf the web and send emails. He is still running XP. I do not see him updating to Win8 or buying a new PC, since he had no interest in Vista or 7. He chose the downgrade from Vista to XP option when he bought his PC 3 years ago.

Yes, I'm still on XP myself but that doesn't mean I don't plan on upgrading soon. You can't assume people are not going to buy Windows 8 based on 1 friends situation. That's not strong enough to make a case. In fact, Windows 7 success speaks for itself. Windows 7 has about 700+ million sold. That's a huge number. That means if Windows 8 can sell like that, that's 700+ million more potential Windows Phone customers

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm still on XP myself but that doesn't mean I don't plan on upgrading soon. You can't assume people are not going to buy Windows 8 based on 1 friends situation. That's not strong enough to make a case. In fact, Windows 7 success speaks for itself. Windows 7 has about 700+ million sold. That's a huge number. That means if Windows 8 can sell like that, that's 700+ million more potential Windows Phone customers

I totally understand your point.

I guess I should clarify by saying some people lack technical skills. My friend has been using XP for almost 10 years now. I would not even encourage him to update, since I would get stuck teaching him how to use his computer again.

The only IT projects I want are either paid positions in companies or my own personal experimentations. I have no desire to provide free tech support to everyone I know.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I totally understand your point.

I guess I should clarify by saying some people lack technical skills. My friend has been using XP for almost 10 years now. I would not even encourage him to update, since I would get stuck teaching him how to use his computer again.

The only IT projects I want are either paid positions in companies or my own personal experimentations. I have no desire to provide free tech support to everyone I know.

Yea, well that's not going to stop anyone from getting something they want. Lol

Honestly, I think Windows 8 sales will probably do better than even Windows 7 did, and Windows 7 had record sales. The reason I say this is cause some people don't upgrade cause they don't really see any real changes to the OS. I think Windows 8 is a big enough change to make people want to upgrade or at least be more curious than they have for past versions. It's not just the same old Windows anymore. It's different, it should attract a lot of people who are tired of the same Windows experience we've had forever. It will be interesting to see how people react to it

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yea, well that's not going to stop anyone from getting something they want. Lol

Honestly, I think Windows 8 sales will probably do better than even Windows 7 did, and Windows 7 had record sales. The reason I say this is cause some people don't upgrade cause they don't really see any real changes to the OS. I think Windows 8 is a big enough change to make people want to upgrade or at least be more curious than they have for past versions. It's not just the same old Windows anymore. It's different, it should attract a lot of people who are tired of the same Windows experience we've had forever. It will be interesting to see how people react to it
I could see many users that you just described getting RT tablets, rather than upgrading their desktops/laptops.

A person who just does browsing/email/Facebook really would not have a reason to upgrade his desktop/laptop. However, a tablet might appeal to that type of user, if he is not interested in a iPad.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I could see many users that you just described getting RT tablets, rather than upgrading their desktops/laptops.

A person who just does browsing/email/Facebook really would not have a reason to upgrade his desktop/laptop. However, a tablet might appeal to that type of user, if he is not interested in a iPad.

Maybe so but RT is still Windows 8 and it's still metro. It will help influence WP sales

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's true.

Microsoft really needs to ditch the RT name. It sounds too much like NT. "Metro" would be a better name. Maybe even ditch the name "Windows" completely.

There is no Windows in Xbox, and Xbox does not have any negative associations from the Windows name.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
That's true.

Microsoft really needs to ditch the RT name. It sounds too much like NT. "Metro" would be a better name. Maybe even ditch the name "Windows" completely.

There is no Windows in Xbox, and Xbox does not have any negative associations from the Windows name.

I agree with RT but I don't know about Windows. That's a huge risk to take. Windows name is too big to kill now. Knowing Microsoft's track record with naming products, it's best they leave it alone. Lol

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If they want the. "cool" factor with consumers, rather than the "business" factor, Windows might have to go.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm convinced RT might be just a code name for now since it's still pretty far from release. Sort of like Project Natal. Kinect didn't get it's name til near it's release date

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Not wise to knock something when we don't know how it fully works yet. That's the biggest mistake people made and still are making about WP.

You've lost me, we do know how W8 will work - I'm using it to post this - it's not going to vary widely from the TP.

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I came to experience WP7 and the Windows 8 grudgingly, I like my OS X, I like all other sorts of handsets, just didn't care for the tiles....at first. Now that I have been using Windows 8, I love it. It's a bit sluggish yes, but hey it's not even the finish product. My short run on Windows Phone 7 (long story, back to iPhone 4) has left me wanting more of the WP7 goodness. It really is a wonderful OS. I love how it does pretty much everything out of the box. Skydrive integration is awesome, iCloud is a joke compared to Skydrive. The next few months while I wait for a new phone to come to VZ is going to be LONG!!!!

PS...Incredibly jealous of those of you on AT&T with the Lumia, I'd so own one in Cyan right now if I could get service up here in the sticks.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
People will get Windows 8 the same way most people got Windows 7 - pre-installed when they buy a new PC. Very few people (especially people happy with Win 7) will purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 and businesses are just starting the migration to Windows 7. I believe the "downgrade" option to Windows 7 will be way more popular than the Vista to XP program because Windows 7 is an excellent, stable operating system that does not need an upgrade (unlike the rush to Windows 7 if you had Vista). It will be interesting to see how most people react to the default Metro Desktop of Windows 8 after using Windows start menu for over 17 years (since Win 95). Personally, I installed Windows 8 on an extra computer and it's sat unused since installation. I don't think Windows 8 will have any effect on WP8 adoption. It's hard to see how another reset of the Windows Phone OS is going to help it in any way.

LaNiQuE

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
im dying for a windows 8 tablet i have a launch day touchpad so i support any os i believe is unique and fits me i also would love a ultrabook running windows 8 because that would give me the holy trinidy that the apple users brag about even if my lumia 900 isnt updated i plan to have a windows 8 phone in my hand

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree with trivor that Windows 8 will sell as it will come pre-installed. Where I disagree, is that it won't be relevant for WP8. Consider being able to have your apps and their associated data synchronized between multiple platforms. Its why the term ecosystem gets used. And I personally can't wait to have that unification - assuming its coming. At my laptop/desktop, where I can be uber-productive using the desktop, I can have the same saved weather locations, to-do list, documents... as I can also have on my phone! Linked with Skydrive it makes for a very compelling environment. Log on to a new PC and all your metro apps are there, along with your favorites? Or even if you log on to a friends Windows 8 PC. Make no mistake about it, what Microsoft is on the verge of is capable of being very big to the computing industry.

But I also agree with a significant uphill battle due to the potential confusion brought on by the Metro Start page and the desktop. It isn't well integrated. Feels like two systems. Will be great for our highly mobile enterprise users that insist they need an iPad but then are upset that they can't use their iPad to meet half of their business computing needs. Usher in the Windows 8 tablet, and walla, we have a dual purpose solution whose split personality fits the needs perfectly and stands to save ever so important corporate dollars at the same time by re-merging dual device client back to a single device.

Only time will tell, but like many others I moved to WP7 in preparation of my future with Windows 8/WP8. So perhaps that is an early indicator.

I also expect that sheer volume of the installed base after a short period (do largely to Windows 8 pre-installed on new PCs) will lead to a very rich app store which will be warmly received by Windows 8 and WP8 users alike. The potential is there, with only a jerking integration between Metro and Desktop standing in the way. And I don't see any good way around that. So its a matter of whether people with content creation needs can adapt and/or embrace a dual computing personality. Consume with Metro, create with Desktop. I find myself turning off the iPad and firing up the home desktop just to shop or respond to an email with more than a sentence or two - which from the size of this post you can see is a problem for me. :cool:

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I'll add to my prior post that the touch experience even in desktop is very compelling. I bought a touchscreen for my home desktop for a very specific purpose and was very surprised how addictive the touch experience becomes. And largely because along with it comes definite productivity/usability benefits. Before I had it I was definitely a naysayer regarding the benefit of touch outside of the tablet functionality. Now I know the benefits of the experience. It just feels good. Scrolling and resizing, no comparison (and I LIKE my scroll wheel mouse!). So it will be interesting also to see how much touch becomes more integrated into devices that we otherwise wouldn't have expected. An All-In-One becomes a much more intriguing option as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss