We just passed BlackBerry

Mr Bigs

May 1, 2012
Visit site

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Trust me it's B.S WM hasn't caught up to BB especially with their OS10 coming.

First whats WM? Next if you have feedback lets hear it. The OP asked for positive comments. If you don't have a positive comment or a point to make beyond this is BS please move on to another thread.

d-laybook

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Who knows what the numbers are but I'm another long time BlackBerry user who has switched to Windows Phone.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
First whats WM? Next if you have feedback lets hear it. The OP asked for positive comments. If you don't have a positive comment or a point to make beyond this is BS please move on to another thread.

Heh, every time I listen to a baseball game there's an add for MLB At Bat and it's always "Download MLB At Bat for the latest scores on your Iphone, Ipad, Android, Blackberry or Windows Mobile device"

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
OS10 won't increase Blackberry marketshare, at least not until after it's released. As a matter of fact, trickling news and hype regarding OS10 could be a major argument why Blackberry is LOSING significant market share.

Consumers are holding out for the latest OS/phones. RIM may also slow production to liquidate old product and ramp up production of new phones. This effect has been observed across multiple OSes and products, including the iPhone.

This might be one reason why Microsoft has chose to be tight lipped regarding Apollo. It's absolutely the reason why Apple never talks about the next iPhone. RIM is making Nokia's mistake. Talking up a non-existent product too early...

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Heh, every time I listen to a baseball game there's an add for MLB At Bat and it's always "Download MLB At Bat for the latest scores on your Iphone, Ipad, Android, Blackberry or Windows Mobile device"

I heard that once on TV here during a sox game,oh well at least more than iPhone,iPad and Android were mentioned.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
There's no chance whatsoever RIM lost 10% of its marketshare in a month. These numbers are cracked out.
My favourite troll is back again!

Definition of 'Market Share'

The percentage of an industry or market's total sales that is earned by a particular company over a specified time period. Market share is calculated by taking the company's sales over the period and dividing it by the total sales of the industry over the same period. This metric is used to give a general idea of the size of a company to its market and its competitors.

Read more: Market Share Definition | Investopedia
Market share is a terribly shady metric. Most sources don't even use the above definition, they simply survey a bunch of people about what device they are currently using and call it a day.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Market share is a terribly shady metric. Most sources don't even use the above definition, they simply survey a bunch of people about what device they are currently using and call it a day.
Thanks for the informative post!

While I had known the definition of "market share" prior, I didn't realize that the comScore survey was making improper use of the term "market share" by relying on user surveys instead of surveying new handsets sold. Reviewing the links, and reading the bottom, I see that now.

Stated otherwise, Windows Phone now sells more devices in the US than Blackberry; but Blackberry still has more users total based on usage from former customers. The former is the accurate usage of "market share" and not the latter, so it is correct to say that Windows Phone has surpassed Blackberry in "market share".

EDIT: Kantar survey affirmed by Engadget.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/16/kantar-says-windows-phone-clawing-back-share-thanks-to-nokia/

Mr Bigs

May 1, 2012
Visit site

First of all you can't post up no negative replies and then make a blatantly false statement so it is what it is. Look up the facts yourself its readily available.

Sent from my 4G HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

edit: WM was an error obviously.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 900 using Board Express

Last edited by a moderator:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

its possible the app still Exist for WM ( Windows Mobile ) witch was around till 2 years ago. and some people still use it...

First of all you can't post up no negative replies and then make a blatantly false statement so it is what it is. Look up the facts yourself its readily available.

Sent from my 4G HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

how was it Blatantly False? from march 14th(iish) we passed RIM by 0.02% according to kantar Worldpanel.

and if its to hard for you to RESPECT the OP's Choice in not leaving useless comments like this one:
then ill simply re-quote My boss:
Next if you have feedback lets hear it. The OP asked for positive comments. If you don't have a positive comment or a point to make beyond this is BS please move on to another thread.

Last edited:

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

Yes, and no. Because those numbers are not readily available or not always broken down, they depend on surveys. So yes, you are technically correct--but the information you are claiming is market share is basically unavailable, or if it is available, long after the fact. So they rely on proxies like surveys, which isn't "calling it a day" it's actually much more accurate, usually.
Hence the fight over the census for the last 20 years--survey and extrapolation is MUCH more accurate than enumeration, and yet the constitution calls for enumeration, so every 10 years we embark on an expensive and inaccurate survey of the country.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the informative post!

While I had known the definition of "market share" prior, I didn't realize that the comScore survey was making improper use of the term "market share" by relying on user surveys instead of surveying new handsets sold. Reviewing the links, and reading the bottom, I see that now.

Stated otherwise, Windows Phone now sells more devices in the US than Blackberry; but Blackberry still has more users total based on usage from former customers. The former is the accurate usage of "market share" and not the latter, so it is correct to say that Windows Phone has surpassed Blackberry in "market share".

EDIT: Kantar survey affirmed by Engadget.
Kantar: Windows Phone clawing back share thanks to Nokia, but Android still rules the roost -- Engadget

It just depends on how you define the sales period. If you're limited solely month to month, maybe, but that's not a very helpful.

It's also worth pointing out there are multiple definitions of market share, and irlju just chose the one that helps make his polemical point.

Market share - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

""Market share is the percentage of a market (defined in terms of either units or revenue) accounted for by a specific entity." In a survey of nearly 200 senior marketing managers, 67 percent responded that they found the "dollar market share" metric very useful, while 61% found "unit market share" very useful."

The pretty common sense meaning--
http://www.investorwords.com/2989/market_share.html

The percentage of the total sales of a given type of product or service that are attributable to a given company.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I've always taken market share, as it applies to smartphones or computers to be based on the total number of units out there in use. Not a dollar amount, not a number of sales in a month or a quarter.

So out of all the smartphones currently in use in the United States, what percentage are Windows Phone, what percentage are BlackBerry, iOS and Android.

I think applying any other definition to marketshare in this case could be confusing. It's useful to track sales and spot trends over time and so forth, but those metrics should be separate from just raw "marketshare" IMO.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It just depends on how you define the sales period. If you're limited solely month to month, maybe, but that's not a very helpful.

It's also worth pointing out there are multiple definitions of market share, and irlju just chose the one that helps make his polemical point.

Market share - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

""Market share is the percentage of a market (defined in terms of either units or revenue) accounted for by a specific entity." In a survey of nearly 200 senior marketing managers, 67 percent responded that they found the "dollar market share" metric very useful, while 61% found "unit market share" very useful."

The pretty common sense meaning--
What is market share? definition and meaning

The percentage of the total sales of a given type of product or service that are attributable to a given company.

Wikipedia? Seriously? How do we know that you didn't change it to say what you want? Can't disagree with findings.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Honestly people, it should be blatantly obvious what the article meant by market share. The whole point of tracking current sales is to project the future. If WP continues to outpace bb then it is rather apparent why this measure of market share is so important. One is growing, the other still bleeding.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss