We just passed BlackBerry

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yay! You can credit me for part of that. I ditched BlackBerry for Windows Phone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Yay! You can credit me for part of that. I ditched BlackBerry for Windows Phone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

It also shouldn't be hard courting over more BB users especially since messaging is now equal to or better than BBM because of offline messaging now being added.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Not to be negative...but I have no idea where they're getting those numbers for RIM in the US... As of the beginning of April, RIM was at 12.3% and MSFT at 3.9%, and these are comscore's most current numbers:

comScore Reports March 2012 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for WP to pull ahead, but we're not quite there yet.

This. There's no chance whatsoever RIM lost 10% of its marketshare in a month. These numbers are cracked out.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well reading every ones articles i came up with this conclusion.

I think that article is claiming that RIm went DOWN , not really saying WP went up

its possible we pass them , last time they(RIM) dropped by 3% ( in December ) now 4 months later... I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped even more!

doesn't mean WP is doing MUCH better it just means that RIM is doing Much worst! lol witch leaves room for WP to grow :) (or Iphone/Android)

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Last edited:

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
well now the results changed, my article is more current this making this one irrelevant.

I'm sorry but this article is simply wrong. There is no chance in **** RIM's US market share is 3%. It will be soon, but it isn't yet. There's also not much chance WP's market share is that high.

Windows Phone has 2% or less U.S. market share, say two reports - Computerworld Blogs

Edit: the numbers straight up, for anyone interested.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/?p=31688

11.6% to 3% is an impossible drop without other confirmation.

A third set of data points
http://www.comscore.com/Press_Event...arch_2012_U.S._Mobile_Subscriber_Market_Share

12.3% to 3% would be staggering. It would also mean Nokia has sold a few million phones--if they had, they'd be trumpeting it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely NO negative posting of any kind allowed, you will be reported!

challenge-accepted.jpg

The Bears are going to be terrible this year.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
12.3% to 3% would be staggering. It would also mean Nokia has sold a few million phones--if they had, they'd be trumpeting it.

Nokia has sold about 2 million Lumia's so far.

Nokia issues Q1 profit warning, moves 2 million Lumia units | ZDNet

The original article this OP's article referenced was from Reuters, which most people consider to be a very reliable news source.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/15/cellphones-survey-idUSL5E8GEILV20120515

And they do in fact say that RIM's marketshare has dropped from 9% last year down to 3% in the U.S. currently.

EDIT: I just looked at your links again, and that does seem suspect, there's a big discrepancy there and Reuters doesn't cite their source for their numbers. Something's fishy.

Last edited:

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Nokia has sold about 2 million Lumia's so far.

Nokia issues Q1 profit warning, moves 2 million Lumia units | ZDNet

The original article this OP's article referenced was from Reuters, which most people consider to be a very reliable news source.

Google's Android gains share in smartphones-survey | Reuters

And they do in fact say that RIM's marketshare has dropped from 9% last year down to 3% in the U.S. currently.

EDIT: I just looked at your links again, and that does seem suspect, there's a big discrepancy there and Reuters doesn't cite their source for their numbers. Something's fishy.

Ahh, sorry, I should have been more clear--A few million phones in the US. The US market is ~100 million smartphones right now, to move a percent either way you have to sell ~a million phones. Nokia sold 2 million Lumias worldwide.

Yeah, the numbers just don't add up. I'm not saying that RIM's not losing market share. They are. Fast. But to lose that much would be the equivalent of 10 million people trading in their Blackberries for something else. Which I just don't see happening in a month.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry but this article is simply wrong. There is no chance in **** RIM's US market share is 3%. It will be soon, but it isn't yet. There's also not much chance WP's market share is that high.

Windows Phone has 2% or less U.S. market share, say two reports - Computerworld Blogs

Edit: the numbers straight up, for anyone interested.

America’s New Mobile Majority: a Look at Smartphone Owners in the U.S. | Nielsen Wire

11.6% to 3% is an impossible drop without other confirmation.

A third set of data points
comScore Reports March 2012 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc

Nothing is impossible,don't be so pessimistic, I usually like and agree with your posts. What a change in this thread, please be mindful of the topic at hand. If that's too hard then don't post here anymore.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Everything you read on WMPU is the truth.

That said I wouldn't put much stock in the information until it gets posted here.

IJS

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Nothing is impossible,don't be so pessimistic, I usually like and agree with your posts. What a change in this thread, please be mindful of the topic at hand. If that's too hard then don't post here anymore.

It's not about being pessimistic, it's about being realistic about what's possible or impossible. I just don't buy the idea that 10 million Blackberry users started using something else in the month of April, a month which saw no major phone releases other than the Lumia. I might believe it if the Iphone 5, Galaxy S3 and the Lumia 900 all launched during April, but that's not what happened.

In any case, maybe I'm wrong, but the preponderance of data is on one side.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Everything you read on WMPU is the truth.

That said I wouldn't put much stock in the information until it gets posted here.

IJS

well the news of the T-mobile refarming,LTE rollout and what it means for WP users still hasn't been reported on the front page, it's as true as can be. IJS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb