2 Phones, 1 Live ID

IanLorenc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Apologies if this has been discussed before (did a quick search but couldn't find a topic thread on it), but if so just direct me to it.

I've got a Titan but just yesterday I picked up a cheap DVP, with the plan of using it as a second phone on a different network (Three) that has 3G coverage in a few of the locales I frequent - and better data limits - than my current main network (O2).
Can I use the same Live ID on the Dell as I do on the Titan? If so, does that mean I can also install all of the apps I currently have on the Titan, on the Venue Pro too?
If not, I may try to tether the DVP as Wi-Fi for the HTC.

Just pre-emptively if the following questions arise...
Why not just switch to Three entirely?
A. 1. I get a discount on my O2 home B/B with my mobile on O2 as well.
2. I've had the same mobile number since my first phone, twelve years ago - I know it and other people know it. I don't want the hassle of getting the PAC and swapping it over, especially as I know from previous experience that should I want to switch from Three to somewhere else and take my number with me again, their customer services are a nightmare to deal with.
3. There is one particular place I frequently visit that Three has no signal of their own in, and it does take a long time (15-20 minutes or more) for their roaming to kick in, even then with fluctuating coverage.

Why not just have the Three sim and keep swapping it over in the HTC?
A. I don't want to keep having the Titan apart to change sim. Also, I would then miss any calls/texts to my regular O2 number whilst I was off their network (I'm aware there is a call divert but not sure if it's free).

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Like invertme said, it is possible, and I also believe the limit is 5 devices. I used my Live ID on my wife's Lumia 900 while also using it on my Focus, and it worked without issues.

We were able to install apps independently of each other, as well as download purchased apps that I bought on my Focus. It was actually quite beneficial because I didn't have to maintain my credit card info on two Live IDs, and we could manage all our apps using a single account.

The only thing I've noticed is that games that use your XBox Live gamer tag (Wordament is the only one I've encountered so far), will use the same gamer ID on both devices. So my gamer tag showed up on both phones. Definitely not a deal breaker considering all the other conveniences of using a single Live ID!

IanLorenc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks both.
*thumbs up*

I'll get on that and hopefully doubling the WP phones in my life, doubles the joy (Wordament in dinner break, here I come!).

IanLorenc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Just finished setting it all up now. Appears to be A-OK.
I'm not warming to the DVP though. I may swap it for Omnia 7 or HD7 in the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky