Glad I Switched to AT&T

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Eh... doesn't matter. AT&T already throttles your speed on your unlimited data plan once you go over 3GB or so.

Unlimited data plans aren't going to survive, unfortunately, because of greed. Both the greed of the phone companies, and the greed of the few users who pushed the limits and used excessive amounts of data and forced the hand of the phone companies to reel it back in.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't like the idea of losing my unlimited data, but I'm not a heavy user. I would like a reasonable amount like maybe five gigs to share with my wife if it doesn't cost too much.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't like the idea of losing my unlimited data, but I'm not a heavy user. I would like a reasonable amount like maybe five gigs to share with my wife if it doesn't cost too much.

ATT is getting set to introduce family data plans! Looking forward to that.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
It will only be a matter of time when AT&T begins to exterminate grandfathered unlimited data plans. If you think you're sticking it to Verizon by going to another provider you're in for a rude awakening.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
My only concern is that I have a special offer type plan and I'm concerned that I might have to switch to a plan that costs more. Keeping my fingers crossed!

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I have an unlimited data plan on ATT, but pretty much doesnt mean anything due to throttling...

for hspa devices, your throttle amount is 3gb so really, you can surf the internet, but it will probably take you about 30 minutes to load a page :eek:

LTE, the throttling level is 5gb ..

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I just switched to AT&T from Sprint so I could get the Nokia Lumia 900. I have only had the phone a couple of days but I can tell you I could not stream music with Spotify or Pandora with Sprint and my Evo 4G without it constantly cutting out-- I am talking every 30 seconds. I have been driving around town using Spotify with AT&T and my WP and it has not cut out once. So far I am impressed.

lilb1190

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Eh... doesn't matter. AT&T already throttles your speed on your unlimited data plan once you go over 3GB or so.

Unlimited data plans aren't going to survive, unfortunately, because of greed. Both the greed of the phone companies, and the greed of the few users who pushed the limits and used excessive amounts of data and forced the hand of the phone companies to reel it back in.

I guess my one question here is how much does data really cost to a data service provider? Is it because these users a hogging bandwidth or something? I dont think it really costs the provider all that much.

Jeff Kibuule

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I guess my one question here is how much does data really cost to a data service provider? Is it because these users a hogging bandwidth or something? I dont think it really costs the provider all that much.

Well, the problem is that they are going about it the wrong way. Similar to wired connections, the problem isn't the amount of data being transfered (since the cost of sending a bit is rather tiny) but what happens during congested time periods. There isn't enough bandwidth during peak time periods to support streaming Netflix to all customers all the time. However, streaming at 1am when people rarely use the network is fine.

Low data caps however discourage use of the network at all by instilling fear of going over the limit.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

T-mobile allows for plans of up to 10GB but each line can have their own amount of data.
I have an unlimited data plan on ATT, but pretty much doesnt mean anything due to throttling...

for hspa devices, your throttle amount is 3gb so really, you can surf the internet, but it will probably take you about 30 minutes to load a page :eek:

LTE, the throttling level is 5gb ..

doesn't take me 30mins to load a webpage when T-mobile throttles me,and I can still stream slacker radio just fine.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'll be happy when I move away from AT&T. I like my Titan/Focus but they are costly. I checked T-Mobile's coverage map and it looks like there's faux-G where I work but only 2G where I live. It won't be a problem when the refarming is done, but until then... decisions decisions...

JJO 1212

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I have the 3GB data plan for my Lumia 900 on at&t and I barely use much LTE data when out of wifi.

Unless you're doing heavy streaming on LTE non-stop, it's REALLY HARD to go past your limit. You have to literally force yourself to.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I'll be happy when I move away from AT&T. I like my Titan/Focus but they are costly. I checked T-Mobile's coverage map and it looks like there's faux-G where I work but only 2G where I live. It won't be a problem when the refarming is done, but until then... decisions decisions...

Do you think when the refarming happens, the prices will stay the same? I think not.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have the grandfathered unlimited plan with AT&T. My last billing cycle was the first entire cycle using the L900. I had a BlackBerry previously. I only used 1.1 GB on my L900, with extensive use of the browser (desktop version, not mobile), WhatsApp, SkyDrive photo uploads, Wordament, Netflix, music streaming, Reader2Go, Rowi, Board Express, and Nokia Drive.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Do you think when the refarming happens, the prices will stay the same? I think not.

T-mobile isn't like sprint, they aren't going to charge extra for usage of unlocked phones in the network. Plus they're trying to reduce churn.

I have the grandfathered unlimited plan with AT&T. My last billing cycle was the first entire cycle using the L900. I had a BlackBerry previously. I only used 1.1 GB on my L900, with extensive use of the browser (desktop version, not mobile), WhatsApp, SkyDrive photo uploads, Wordament, Netflix, music streaming, Reader2Go, Rowi, Board Express, and Nokia Drive.

Hmm I'm pushing 1.2GB now and it's only my second day of my latest cycle. But it's probably because I tether with my sisters iPod.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
T-mobile isn't like sprint, they aren't going to charge extra for usage of unlocked phones in the network. Plus they're trying to reduce churn.

Hmm I'm pushing 1.2GB now and it's only my second day of my latest cycle. But it's probably because I tether with my sisters iPod.

I've never tethered with any devices I've owned. WiFi is readily available when I want to use the Internet on my laptops.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
No evidence whatsoever :) Just seems to be the trend - higher speeds usually mean higher prices.

That's usually because of cost associated with building new towers ...and because carriers are greedy. :D

But this time, because of the breakup deal from AT&T's failed takeover, T-Mobile gets to piggy back off AT&T's spectrum plus AT&T has to pay Deutsche Telekom (the company that owns T-Mobile) a $4 billion dollar breakup fee, though it remains to be seen how much of that money will be given to the American branch of T-Mobile. Still, T-Mobile can roll out 4G/LTE thanks to all of AT&T's hard work. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro