Glad I Switched to AT&T

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
No evidence whatsoever :) Just seems to be the trend - higher speeds usually mean higher prices.

That's true. :)

Ninjaap, you go out of the country from time to time. What have you paid for internet/data out of the U.S.?

I was just in France with my wife. I bought an Orange Pay As You Go SIM card. It was only 9 euro (11.91 usd) to add a month of unlimited 3.5G internet/data.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
That's usually because of cost associated with building new towers ...and because carriers are greedy. :D

But this time, because of the breakup deal from AT&T's failed takeover, T-Mobile gets to piggy back off AT&T's spectrum plus AT&T has to pay Deutsche Telekom (the company that owns T-Mobile) a $4 billion dollar breakup fee, though it remains to be seen how much of that money will be given to the American branch of T-Mobile. Still, T-Mobile can roll out 4G/LTE thanks to all of AT&T's hard work. :)

I just don't think that Tmo is a very safe place to be. They are constantly losing subscribers and are desperate to be eaten up by another carrier that they're looking into merging with metro pcs. A CDMA company? Yikes. What a nightmare that would be. Losing subscribers, losing money, and spending more money to build 4G towers, all the while, keeping the rates the same. Its almost like the other carriers are flying circles around Tmo, like a bunch of voltures, waiting for it to die off on its own. When it does, it will be a free for all on spectrum that is very hard to come by.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
That's true. :)

Ninjaap, you go out of the country from time to time. What have you paid for internet/data out of the U.S.?

I was just in France with my wife. I bought an Orange Pay As You Go SIM card. It was only 9 euro (11.91 usd) to add a month of unlimited 3.5G internet/data.

I was just in the Philippines and got a prepaid Globe SIM card. They had an interesting tiered UNLIMITED data plan - 1day: 50Php (1.19USD), 5days: 200Php (4.76USD), 30days: 999Php (23.78USD). I also remember options with tiered MB plan - starting at 20MB for 15Php (0.35USD). I think they were still on 3G and never saw 3.5G speeds. I did read about how LTE was already underscontruction and should be coming in the next year.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I just don't think that Tmo is a very safe place to be. They are constantly losing subscribers and are desperate to be eaten up by another carrier that they're looking into merging with metro pcs. A CDMA company? Yikes. What a nightmare that would be. Losing subscribers, losing money, and spending more money to build 4G towers, all the while, keeping the rates the same. Its almost like the other carriers are flying circles around Tmo, like a bunch of voltures, waiting for it to die off on its own. When it does, it will be a free for all on spectrum that is very hard to come by.

T-mo isn't losing money or are desperate to be bought out, you need to get your facts straight. Sprint is in much worse shape than they are,they still have no plans to rollout LTE in the top 3 markets,their 3G network is decomposing at a rapid rate, speeds are slower than T-mobile EDGE in many places. Tired of people egging on T-mobile.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
T-mo isn't losing money or are desperate to be bought out, you need to get your facts straight. Sprint is in much worse shape than they are,they still have no plans to rollout LTE in the top 3 markets,their 3G network is decomposing at a rapid rate, speeds are slower than T-mobile EDGE in many places. Tired of people egging on T-mobile.

Well just saying, Sprint isn't the one actively looking for a merger/buyout with another company. T-mo employees and subscribers can ignore this fact and get on with their lives, but it's still a reality.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

The spectrum deal between AT&T and T-Mobile will last sevens years. That's a good chunk of time to experience T-Mobile prices with AT&T coverage/speed. I'm not too worried about T-Mo getting sold as long as they don't get bought out by another carrier because that would severely hurt competition. And even if prices go up, I don't it's going to be a while before their prices are even close to AT&T.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The spectrum deal between AT&T and T-Mobile will last sevens years. That's a good chunk of time to experience T-Mobile prices with AT&T coverage/speed. I'm not too worried about T-Mo getting sold as long as they don't get bought out by another carrier because that would severely hurt competition. And even if prices go up, I don't it's going to be a while before their prices are even close to AT&T.

I suppose it will be a long while before they can even come close to the amount of subscribers and coverage that VZW and ATT has, which is still growing btw. Unless, you get a bunch of budget carriers and combine them together like Voltron or Constructicons and form one giant carrier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss