05-23-2012 07:37 PM
60 123
tools
    I really cant decide. The only thing it seems most online reviewers can agree on is that the Lumia 900, costs less, but $100 isnt much when you think of it as a 2-year investment. The Lumia 900 SEEMS more durable, which is important. I have had my Palm Pre for 2 years, and it has taken a pounding and is on its last legs. I need a phone that I can drop without thinking its going to be the end of the world. For my Pre, I used to have this huge, ugly case that made the phone look like garbage but kept it safe. The second I stopped using the case, everything went to crap.

For me at this point it is pretty much coming down to camera VS everything else. I havent seen either screen in person yet to decide which one I like better. The support and additional apps for the Lumia is important to me, especially since HTC went crazy with the subscription pricing for Locations. Also, apparently Nokia is going to release new camera modes for the Lumia. The problem with that is that even with the new modes, if the camera is weak, its weak. Do I really want an ugly panoramic shot?

Im assuming that most people who switch between phones fairly often have to pay the full price of the phone when they do so? I guess if you really need the latest and greatest I can understand, but for me spending close to $600 on a phone is too much. Whatever I get on Monday, I am committed to.
    I think the best thing for you is to use each phone for 30 days during the buyers remorse period and then decide which is better for you. Start with Titan II and then L900 and then compare the difference for your normal life and decide.
    05-19-2012 06:22 PM
    I can return the phone within 30 days? I guess that changes things! Does it have to be in new condition or can it go through the standard wear-and-tear of a month of use?
    05-19-2012 08:08 PM
    1. How much better is the camera on the Titan iI than the Lumia. I know megapixels are only half the battle here...
    2. How many people here are currently using the first Lumia 900 that they bought?
    3. How smooth is the Zune Player experience? Am I going to be fighting with it or is it pretty reliable?
    4. Which phone has better speakers? I know the Titan II gets louder, but what about clarity?
    5. Since I dont really use facebook or twitter, will the People hub be much more than a contact list?
    6. Is it better to support a phone that nobody knows exists in order to convince the company to continue using WP7, or should I support the phone with the best chance of getting WP7 in to the game?
    7. Do you ever notice lag from the relatively weak processor?

Thanks
    I'm sure my comments will duplicate some of the others, but here goes:

1. Stunningly better. I don't have a Titan II, but a friend does. I DO have a Titan, however, and the pics are considerably better on that.

2. On my first Lumia. Why?

3. Zune is very smooth. It's one of the things friends on other platforms envy on mine. Considerably better than Pandora/last.fm is our consensus.

4. Hmm. Clarity. Well, compared to the Titan I, at least, the Nokia seems clearer and has better treble. The SRS/Audio stuff on the Titan gives it a bit rounder sound and more bass.

5. Mostly a contact list with some benefits. You can hit a contact name to see history (email, texts, etc) with that person and photos if any are shared. I was mostly in the same boat as you, but I will say that WP7 does greatly increase my enjoyment of social networks. Try them, I suggest.

6. Have questioned that, as well. I just don't know.

7. Rarely. Sometimes for network actions- but that might be network related, not CPU?
    05-19-2012 08:11 PM
    Some of that is duplicate, but havent gotten too many answers around the audio. One thing I do like aboue the iPhone is the speakers. They are very impressive for a phone. As far as what you said, I guess I would give that point to the Lumia. I think it is important for there to be some bass when listening to music. If you ever hear some speakers that dont really produce it very well, you certainly notice that something important is missing. Clarity, however, is the most important thing. Since the speakers on a phone are relatively small and the phone itself its dedicated to so many other things, its extra impressive when you have a phone that sounds great. I might be able to spend a little bit of time in the store listening to them if any songs a preloaded.

I was worried about not having a free turn-by-turn navigation app (which is odd becase up utiil a few weeks ago I didnt even know there WHERE free turn-by-turn navigation apps), but I see that there is an app in the marketplace called "Navigation". Has anyone used this? It says its only $5, which is nothing to me if it actually works.
    05-19-2012 08:27 PM
    Some of that is duplicate, but havent gotten too many answers around the audio. One thing I do like aboue the iPhone is the speakers. They are very impressive for a phone. As far as what you said, I guess I would give that point to the Lumia. I think it is important for there to be some bass when listening to music. If you ever hear some speakers that dont really produce it very well, you certainly notice that something important is missing. Clarity, however, is the most important thing. Since the speakers on a phone are relatively small and the phone itself its dedicated to so many other things, its extra impressive when you have a phone that sounds great. I might be able to spend a little bit of time in the store listening to them if any songs a preloaded.

I was worried about not having a free turn-by-turn navigation app (which is odd becase up utiil a few weeks ago I didnt even know there WHERE free turn-by-turn navigation apps), but I see that there is an app in the marketplace called "Navigation". Has anyone used this? It says its only $5, which is nothing to me if it actually works.
    I had a motorola droid and now have and HTC Trophy and to me both phones have louder speakers than the iphone. My wife has the iphone 4 and my Trophy can drown it out. I would think the Titan 2 and Lumia are both louder than the iphone. Play some youtube videos in the store and see what you think.

As far as navigation if you buy an app make sure it stores the maps on your phone so it doesn't require a data connection. I believe Navigon stores the maps on your phone and there are probably others.
    05-19-2012 08:35 PM
    1. I'd imagine the titan's would be better... I think it has more features/settings
    2. Ya okay, I wish
    3. Reliable
    4. I don't know, but judging with my eyes, the lumia seems to have larger speakers
    5. YES
    6. support the phone with the best chance of getting WP7 in to the game!
    7. I have an HTC HD7 (1st gen device) and I notice a lag in some third party apps, but the OS is solid.
    Also one more thing I'd like to note... I had a hard time wrapping my long fingers around my HD7 (same screen size as lumia 900). The titans bajillion inch screen seems waaaaay to big and will have a low pixel density (ouch)

And please, the titan II is ugly compared to the lumia. The only benefit I see of the titan is a 16 megapixel camera
    05-19-2012 08:54 PM
    I can return the phone within 30 days? I guess that changes things! Does it have to be in new condition or can it go through the standard wear-and-tear of a month of use?
    You can only exchange it once, it the 30 days is for the first time you buy the phone, so if you exchange it at 20 days, you only have 10 days but you can't exchange it again.
    05-19-2012 08:55 PM
    I found the screen on the lumia 900 made certain colors look really bad, for example in some games reds were really bright and looked almost neon. I find that the only good thing about the L900 screen is during daylight.

The other bad part about the L900 screen is in low light situtations (bedtime/movie theater) it is too bright even on the lowest setting.

One reason why the boards on the titan II are dead is because there aren't many problems with the phone.

For anybody who says that Nokia apps are better than HTC, I have to disagree, attentive phone I really missed when I had a L900, loved it on my HD7 and Titan II, the camera additions are built into the camera app. Those two are the best, and better than anything that Nokia has. Nokia does have some exclusives when it comes to 3rd party apps, ESPN app is horrible and I would just stick to the ESPN scorecenter app. The CNN app is pretty awesome, but so is the USA Today App in the marketplace. Nokia Drive is pretty neat, as it is free, but Bing Maps does the same thing, all you need to do is press the screen to get directions. the other part of about Nokia Maps, they should have installed it over Bing Maps on the L900, and Nokia Drive should be part of Nokia Maps as one app.

In the end, HTC Titan II feels like a more polished phone then any samsung device. There were too many issues with the L900 that I got I just had enough. HTC Builds quality phones, the enhancements are top of the line. The last thing about HTC, they were the last company to support Windows Mobile, I don't think the support issue is going to be going anywhere. I honestly think that they will come out with branding like (one s,x) type of thing for Windows Phone. Just like the branding on Nokia lumia, iphone (it is a brand), Galaxy, and Nexus.

If you do opt for a titan 2, I would suggest getting a case, the only bad thing is the camera does stick out. the cases that they do sell at the At&t stores should be enough to protect it for the most part. The phone does feel solid in your hand, feel premium.
    05-19-2012 09:04 PM
    For me at this point it is pretty much coming down to camera VS everything else.
    I think that's about right. I would expect the Titan II to be pretty durable too. HTC doesn't build flimsy phones.

Bottom line is the Titan II is going to take better pictures. The Nokia has a nicer screen, more apps and better odds of getting good support and updates in the future.

Again, both are great. I can't see you buying either one and then kicking yourself later for not getting the other. I would be totally happy with a Titan II, I just prefer the Lumia 900.

If you were talking about an Android phone vs. a Windows Phone, that would be something totally different. :lol:

You're choosing between the two best Windows Phone's the world has ever seen. You cannot make a bad decision here, my friend.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-19-2012 10:26 PM
    One reason why the boards on the titan II are dead is because there aren't many problems with the phone.
    The Lumia 900 outsells the Titan II by at LEAST 10 to 1.

There's your answer for the lower number of posts.

The Titan II has problems, just like any newly launched smartphone. Don't kid yourself.

HTC Titan II owners – is yours overheating? | Windows Phone Sauce

FYI HTC Titan ii owners. Issue exists. : windowsphone

Already on my second Titan II - xda-developers

Titan II Sound and Heat Issues - xda-developers

Titan II battery drain issues. - xda-developers

Sound Enhancer Updated Fixed Muffled Call Quality?? - xda-developers

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/191736.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/191640.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/191419.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/190714.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/190513.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/191161.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/190065.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/190144.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/190568.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/189681.htm

....so the question is, WHEN you have a problem, which you WILL because every phone does, who do you want to deal with? HTC, which still hasn't fixed problems from the Titan I and doesn't really have much invested in Windows Phone, Or Nokia which releases a software update a WEEK after a problem is discovered and reimburses everyone $100?

For anybody who says that Nokia apps are better than HTC, I have to disagree.
    Nokia Drive alone is worth the price of admission. It's arguably the best navigation app on any phone, and it's free, versus paying $10 a month for an inferior product on the HTC. That's $240 over the course of a 2 year contract, PLUS the extra $100 for the phone. $340 right there. Is a slightly better camera worth $340? I can buy a digital camera which will take far better pics than any cell phone for less than $340.

And it doesn't just begin and end with Nokia Drive, there are at least 4 or 5 other Nokia apps you can't get on the HTC and more coming, and that's not even counting the third party exclusives for some popular apps that Nokia has, like Angry Birds Space etc. Of course, those will become available for the HTC in a year or so though...

Like I said, both are great phones. I just want people to make an informed decision based on the facts.
    Last edited by socialcarpet; 05-20-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-19-2012 10:59 PM
    @socialcarpet, the L900 has much more issues than the Titan II. The L900 has too many hardware issues it isn't funny. The purple Hue is a Hardware issue, not software. the camera takes horrible pictures in low light situations. You don't need Nokia Drive when you have Bing Maps which does directions, you just need to click the screen to get the voice to work. The Attentive phone, and camera additional make the Titan II worth the $100 more than L900.

About having a camera on a phone. Most people don't like carrying a 2nd or 3rd device. It is like carrying around an ipod touch, a flipphone and camera just because each device is better than a standalone device. I would rather carry around one device that can take good pics, be a smartphone and make good phone calls.

the titan II is worth not having to deal with the headache that the L900, it doesn't matter if Nokia supports the phone if the phone is crap. These hardware issues are widespread, it isn't a small problem like with what the Titan has had. I haven't experience any of the problems you mentioned above. Sure if the number you state about the L900 selling 10-1 is correct, make the titan II $100 and see what the number would be then.
    05-20-2012 12:21 AM
    There are devices that get past QA, no matter what brand.

I do not have any "purple hue" on my L900. That is not to say it doesn't exist; however, it is not an issue I've had.

None of the reported bugs existed on my device. I didn't even have data issues prior to the OS update.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-20-2012 01:09 AM
    I'd personally recommend the Lumia 900. Even though It does not have the monster screen and 16MP camera, it's a phone that will receive the best treatment by Microsoft and Nokia. Nokia is committed to offering a luxurious experience on it's phones, through special apps, amenities, and more. You'll be buying more than just a phone with the Lumia, you'll be buying into the Nokia treatment (which is super awesome).
    rdubmu likes this.
    05-20-2012 01:25 AM
    lumia 900, better hardware, and better support from the manufacture. 100% committed, whereas htc only cares about android at this time
    this is a no brainer
    05-20-2012 10:32 AM
    05-20-2012 10:43 AM
    Yeah, the only thing about the torture test is that the guy never really turns the phone so that the screen is facing the camera. Its always at an angle. That doesnt mean there are dents and scratches in it, but it could.

I am totally on board with the idea that the Lumia will have better support. That is a big deal to me. If the Titan II never has any major issues and the marketplace stays pretty well updated, I probably wont miss too many of the Nokia apps. Some of them seem pretty useful, but HTC isnt without its perks, either.

Does the Lumia have pocket detection (phone rings more loudly in the pocket), face-down speaker phone (if the phone is face down it will automatically be on speaker, then it goes back to normal mode when you pick it up), and all of the other HTC goodies?
    05-20-2012 10:56 AM
    Yeah, the only thing about the torture test is that the guy never really turns the phone so that the screen is facing the camera. Its always at an angle. That doesnt mean there are dents and scratches in it, but it could.

I am totally on board with the idea that the Lumia will have better support. That is a big deal to me. If the Titan II never has any major issues and the marketplace stays pretty well updated, I probably wont miss too many of the Nokia apps. Some of them seem pretty useful, but HTC isnt without its perks, either.

Does the Lumia have pocket detection (phone rings more loudly in the pocket), face-down speaker phone (if the phone is face down it will automatically be on speaker, then it goes back to normal mode when you pick it up), and all of the other HTC goodies?
    True about the it might have scratches. But he used the Lumia as a hammer, glass down, and pounded the nail into a 2x4! Now that's tough.

No Nokia does not have those features you've talked about from HTC. I am familiar with those features as I have owned HTC phones before. I missed them at first, but have moved on.

It's true that Titan 2 has a better camera, but that's all it has over the Lumia. At least that's what I thought when I was trying to choose between the 900 and T2. And speaking of camera, you will undoudtedly be disappointed with the 900's auto camera settings. I found that you need to play with the settings to get a good pic. But once you master the settings, I believe you will get pics that rival the T2's camera. Check out the link in my signature for pics taken using my 900. No post app processing, just playing around with the camera settings.
    05-20-2012 11:36 AM
    True about the it might have scratches. But he used the Lumia as a hammer, glass down, and pounded the nail into a 2x4! Now that's tough.

No Nokia does not have those features you've talked about from HTC. I am familiar with those features as I have owned HTC phones before. I missed them at first, but have moved on.

It's true that Titan 2 has a better camera, but that's all it has over the Lumia. At least that's what I thought when I was trying to choose between the 900 and T2. And speaking of camera, you will undoudtedly be disappointed with the 900's auto camera settings. I found that you need to play with the settings to get a good pic. But once you master the settings, I believe you will get pics that rival the T2's camera. Check out the link in my signature for pics taken using my 900. No post app processing, just playing around with the camera settings.
    those are some really nice pics you took there
    ninjaap likes this.
    05-20-2012 02:49 PM
    The Titan II is now $150 on contract at AT&T.
    05-20-2012 03:07 PM
    @socialcarpet, the L900 has much more issues than the Titan II. The L900 has too many hardware issues it isn't funny. The purple Hue is a Hardware issue, not software. the camera takes horrible pictures in low light situations. You don't need Nokia Drive when you have Bing Maps which does directions, you just need to click the screen to get the voice to work. The Attentive phone, and camera additional make the Titan II worth the $100 more than L900.

About having a camera on a phone. Most people don't like carrying a 2nd or 3rd device. It is like carrying around an ipod touch, a flipphone and camera just because each device is better than a standalone device. I would rather carry around one device that can take good pics, be a smartphone and make good phone calls.

the titan II is worth not having to deal with the headache that the L900, it doesn't matter if Nokia supports the phone if the phone is crap. These hardware issues are widespread, it isn't a small problem like with what the Titan has had. I haven't experience any of the problems you mentioned above. Sure if the number you state about the L900 selling 10-1 is correct, make the titan II $100 and see what the number would be then.
    Interesting. I didn't realize the purple hue was a hardware problem. I'm sure you have some hard evidence to back that up.

The L900 isn't a "headache" if like me, and like the vast majority of L900 owners, you don't have any problems at all.

I'm glad that you think an app that silences the ring when you flip the phone over and a slightly better camera are worth a the extra $100.

If that helped make your decision easier, more power to you. I try not to take silly stuff like phones personally, but when someone spreads some misinformation and FUD, I feel a responsibility to step in and set the record straight.

Running your factory 24/7 to crank out about 1,000,000+ copies of a brand new model hitting the market is likely to result in 25-30 people posting on a forum that their keyboard is tinted slightly purplish gray. It happens.

Why don't we wait until HTC has at least 1/2 as many Titan II's out in the hands of consumers before we decide if it's the holy grail of product reliability and bug-free nirvana though, shall we?

It shouldn't take them more than a year or two to get there.

Or we can just look at the record of the Titan I's issues and how good a job HTC did at resolving those if we want another example.

Let's just agree to disagree. We're both on the same team. I just get a little irritated when people portray the L900 as some horrendous bug-ridden disaster. That's a load of horsesh** Between a few unfortunate people on forums (and 100 crybabies) and the ridiculous spin of the anti-WP bloggers it's really blown quite out of proportion.

Everyone who cars about Windows Phone should be supporting Nokia and hoping for their success right now, even if you don't use one of their phones. Because if it comes down to it, HTC is not going to save Windows Phone. They could pick up and walk away from Windows Phone tomorrow and not feel a thing. They have plenty of plastic loaded up with that crappy green robot OS to push and they are way more invested in them. Whereas if Nokia fails, it's very likely Windows Phone will fail along with it. Think about it.
    05-20-2012 04:04 PM
    Wow, $150? Im glad it went down, but it also annoys me. They had to lower the price? The device is fantastic. It has its drawbacks, but it should not have been difficult to sell as far as Windows Phones go. But HTC and AT&T didnt spend a dime marketing this product. They essentially trusted techies and phone geeks to spread the word about it. Instead of marketing, they dropped the price down $50 a month after it is released?
    05-20-2012 05:09 PM
    Wow, $150? Im glad it went down, but it also annoys me. They had to lower the price? The device is fantastic. It has its drawbacks, but it should not have been difficult to sell as far as Windows Phones go. But HTC and AT&T didnt spend a dime marketing this product. They essentially trusted techies and phone geeks to spread the word about it. Instead of marketing, they dropped the price down $50 a month after it is released?
    It's probably cheaper to lower the price than it would be to spend money on commercials or developing exclusive apps etc.

But hey, it's $50 cheaper. That can only be a good thing.
    05-20-2012 05:17 PM
    HTC from what I read, actually had a couple of price drops, not just the Titan II and not just for WP. The Titan I is now .01 on contract.
    http://www.windowscentral.com/att-ti...p-150-contract
    05-20-2012 05:44 PM
    Sounds like you should get the Titan II. As for your points:

1. Better in dark settings, that's for sure. I'd imagine it's better overall.
    2. On my second, first had the data bug (which was patched, but I wanted a white one).
    3. Seamless. Don't understand how you'd be fighting with it, but trust me, Zune is everything people don't know about, and then some.
    4. Lumia's gets LOUD. Sure they're too close in terms of clarity to really tell a difference.
    5. If you login with that stuff, it'll show up there, but that doesn't mean you have to use them.
    6. Get the phone that appeals to you. Windows Phone will take off regardless.
    8. Processor speed is irrelevant to Windows Phone. Smooth, through and through.
    By requiring Zune MS is no better than Apple with iTunes. I use the Zune interface to manage my XBox content and I really hate going into it. Plus, podcast support is iffy at best. Tell me why you shouldn't be able (especially with MS cloud push) to do everything without a PC (even the iPhone has that now). Falling behind in any area is not going to help MS and WP7.
    05-20-2012 09:46 PM
    Yeah, the only thing about the torture test is that the guy never really turns the phone so that the screen is facing the camera.
    I'm unimpressed by the "torture" test. Compared to the guy who drove over the Nokia C7/Astound with his car, that was nothing.
    05-20-2012 11:18 PM
60 123