The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Hello everyone, we might have all seen the latest news on the Windowsteamblog.com.
    So, I've been thinking....I know Mango was made available to all current phones so I don't really see how one shouldn't update. But what if Mango was an update that most devices couldn't get? Let’s take the Apollo update for example; incase the update comes and current devices are not able to upgrade due to some reasons whatsoever (eg: Multicore compatibility) and we get people with Mango and Apollo all in the ecosystem and then Windows Phone 9 comes and Microsoft once again wants to upgrade & improve the Marketplace so all devices should upgrade to Windows 8 or loose the Marketplace....what happens to the WP 7.5 consumers? Will we be foreced to get newer devices? It's been bothering me and thought I ask.

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express
    05-18-2012 10:27 AM
    In any case, if the current generation of phones don't get an update, I don't think (I'm not a developer) we'll be able to install the new apps that will be built for WP8 since it's going to be based on NT and WP7 is built on CE. Anyone who knows more about this stuff please correct me if I'm wrong. (I hope I'm wrong).
    05-18-2012 11:14 AM
    ether they come out with multiple marketplace ( like on Android),

OR like MS said WP8 apps will work on WP7.5 so its just gona work..

OR , we might actually get a OS update to Apollo on all phones... ( maybe not low end phones)

ether way , time will tell. Apollo phones are still 4-5months away at lease, so I wouldn't worry to much.

im still on my first gen WP waiting for Apollo ( I did the smart move of waiting, so ether way im getting Apollo haha WOOT! ;) )

and if some one doesn't have MANGO yet... hmm .. WHY!?!?! lol
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 05-18-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    05-18-2012 11:21 AM
    ether they come out with multiple marketplace ( like on Android),

OR like MS said WP8 apps will work on WP7.5 so its just gona work...

OR , we might actually get a OS update to Apollo on all phones... ( maybe not low end phones)

ether way , time will tell. Apollo phones are still 4-5months away at lease, so I wouldn't worry to much.

im still on my first gen WP waiting for Apollo ( I did the smart move of waiting, so ether way im getting Apollo haha WOOT! ;) )

and if some one doesn't have MANGO yet... hmm .. WHY!?!?! lol
    They said that WP7 apps will run on WP8, not the other way around...
    selfcreation likes this.
    05-18-2012 11:26 AM
    oh right , my bad lol ...
    05-18-2012 11:41 AM
    I can see Microsoft is dealing with a lot of serious issues and have decided to keep quite. They really wanna change a lot of stuff....all to suit the Metro.....but not with some of its customers suffering...hmmm sacrifices.

05-18-2012 11:56 AM
    What if my poop turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet?

Seriously people worry too much. Just use your phone and be happy. You cannot control the future at all.
    eric12341 likes this.
    05-18-2012 12:06 PM
    yeah i dunno why we are seriously talkign about this again!

http://www.windowscentral.com/search...11&sitesearch=

click that link and go trough the 20 pages of threads or news related to this already.

and if you read all does all your gona come out with is: be patient.
    05-18-2012 12:09 PM
    I'm not new here and I know about all those links and its not that I worry too much....it's just a discussion to bring us together and share our minds...after all what's a forum for? Then none of us will be here and this forum won't even exist if we all decide to keep quite and share nothing. I'm a scientist and as such, think and prepare about a problem before it's nigh, makes you prepared all the time and leaves you without any disappointments. Understand :P

selfcreation likes this.
    05-18-2012 01:07 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it. Microsoft knows apps are the most important part of the smartphone ecosystem. They are not going to make a change to the marketplace that requires an OS update that people with existing WP7 phones can't get. That would make no sense, undercut the app market they are working so hard to grow and rob developers out if future profits. Its not going to happen. Unless you are planning on keeping your phone for 6 years I wouldn't worry about getting left behind. :)

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    kenzibit and wolf1891 like this.
    05-18-2012 02:07 PM
    As for windows phone 9... Well to follow your scenario, if Windows Phone 9 comes out in 2014 and you need at least Win Phone 8 to use the marketplace, then so be it. Mobile moves very fast. If Microsoft cares more about support for people who haven't bought a new phone in 5 years than they do about adding new features to stay competitive, then they will lose the race guaranteed. A smartphone has a shelf life of 3-4 years at MOST. Its not reasonable to expect to stay compatible with everything for long after that.

wolf1891 likes this.
    05-18-2012 02:13 PM
    whats most likely to happen is having multiple marketplace like on Android.. depending on version you are running OR we wont have that problem and its gona be like Iphone .

unless MS find a new innovative way to screw us over lol.:lol: like calling it the NOKIA marketplace for WP8 only.. lol
    kenzibit likes this.
    05-18-2012 03:33 PM
    As for windows phone 9... Well to follow your scenario, if Windows Phone 9 comes out in 2014 and you need at least Win Phone 8 to use the marketplace, then so be it. Mobile moves very fast. If Microsoft cares more about support for people who haven't bought a new phone in 5 years than they do about adding new features to stay competitive, then they will lose the race guaranteed. A smartphone has a shelf life of 3-4 years at MOST. Its not reasonable to expect to stay compatible with everything for long after that.

Makes Perfect sense, I understand you :)
    05-18-2012 04:08 PM
    whats most likely to happen is having multiple marketplace like on Android.. depending on version you are running OR we wont have that problem and its gona be like Iphone .

unless MS find a new innovative way to screw us over lol.:lol: like calling it the NOKIA marketplace for WP8 only.. lol
    hahahahaha.....yeah right :lol:
    05-18-2012 04:09 PM
    I hope they dont go down that route. There are also Tango phones to cater for so it would amount to 3 different marketplace's, from a dev standpoint at least, and certification-wise from MS's perpective. I would think there should be some level of compatibility that would reduce the work needed to get apps to the widest possible audience, multiple MP's wont do that and even Microsoft wouldnt be that daft!

Guess we'll know in 4 weeks. :)
    05-18-2012 04:20 PM
    I think part of the reason they had to do something like that is because there were some lessons learned early on about encrypting files and what not. They weren't able to turn that stuff on without breaking non-Mango+ phones. There is a chance that something like that could come up again, but they have been running an app store for nearly 2 years now and should have that sort of thing worked out.
    05-19-2012 09:53 AM

I think the same people on 7.5 now, who are complaining about not getting 8 (which hasn't even been confirmed nor denied), will be the same people on 8.5, complaining about not getting 9 (which probably will neither be confirmed or denied as well, until imminent release). It will never end.
    kenzibit likes this.
    05-19-2012 11:03 AM
    Hate to be this guy, but it's lose. Also, I've seen "quiet" spelled "quite" like four times in the last week or so.
    invertme likes this.
    05-19-2012 04:32 PM
    I hope they dont go down that route. There are also Tango phones to cater for so it would amount to 3 different marketplace's, from a dev standpoint at least, and certification-wise from MS's perpective. I would think there should be some level of compatibility that would reduce the work needed to get apps to the widest possible audience, multiple MP's wont do that and even Microsoft wouldnt be that daft!

From what was reported on Friday's Tech News Today, non 7.5 users will be able to view the marketplace but won't be able to update apps until their phone is upgraded to Mango.
    kenzibit likes this.
    05-19-2012 05:34 PM

Ecellent point, like that. :)
    05-20-2012 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD