Mama I'm coming home....

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
So I'm headed back to WP7 after an Android detour. I had a Samsung Focus that was really nice, but I was tired of 3G speeds. I was also curious about ICS and how that compared to WP7. So I bought a cheap, off contract Pantech Burst. The phone itself is similar in size, weight, everything to the Focus, and was promised an ICS update. But after a couple of months with it, I've decided I had enough and bought a Samsung Focus S off Ebay. It'll be here Monday and I'll finally be rid of Android forever.

Here's why I'm back to WP7...

- Tired of constant toggling of Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS, etc. I left everything on, all the time on my Focus, and it NEVER ran out of juice or even came close. The best thing about WP7, other than the UI, is the battery life.

- Tired of constant Force Closes and reboots. Android, for no reason, will FC a program or reboot itself randomly. And this has happened on EVERY Android device I've ever owned (HTC Inspire, Dell Streak, Pantech Burst, etc).

- Tired of slow updates. I know AT&T hasn't offered 8107 yet, so I get that WP7 is in the same boat, but 7720 works pretty well as is. At least, compared to Android 2.3. So I get the Burst thinking "hey, how long could it take to get ICS on here"? Come to find out, not until "later in the Summer, maybe end of Summer". I can't tolerate Android 2.3 until then.

- Tired of trying to put lipstick on a pig. Android is an ugly, ugly operating system. The best part about it is that you can change it any way you want to make it look good. But the worst part about it, is that you can change it in any way you want to make it look good. Sydney from Phonedog just had the perfect article about this - customization is great, but the OS shouldn't be so f*cking ugly from the start that you should have to customize it so much.

- Tired of slowdowns. The Burst has 1 GB of ram, a DUAL CORE 1.5 Ghz processor, and was competing with some of the highest of the high end Android devices on speed. But, hey, put a Live Wallpaper on your screen plus a few widgets, and the device SLOWS DOWN. How is this possible? If your OS can't handle Live Wallpapers and multiple widgets, DON'T GIVE THEM AS OPTIONS.

The best way I can describe how I feel about WP7 is that it feels like going home. There's a comfort level there. You know things will just...work. Its what Apple got right with iOS and what Microsoft is getting right with WP7. Google has never gotten it right with Android.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
LOL @ mama im coming home.....

well glad to see you come back :) and a positive thread about WP is always fun!

welcome back to the.. hmmm ..the darkside?? I dout WP is considered the light side, HAHA.

id have to say I agree with some of you reasons , like how its a UGLY OS , I to cant stand Android , i always end up doing 50 things before doing the one thing i was TRYING to do! lol

I just like WP cause it WORKS , and if i want something its never more then 1 or 2 push away!!! :p

:D:D WELCOME BACK :D:D

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Welcome back. Not sure if I would try it with a Focus, but maybe you can borrow a L900 and drive a nail through that Burst. You know, to put it out of its misery. It's the compassionate thing to do.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Welcome back. Not sure if I would try it with a Focus, but maybe you can borrow a L900 and drive a nail through that Burst. You know, to put it out of its misery. It's the compassionate thing to do.

lol I love my focus rev 1.4 still using it , never had a problem with it! cant say that for any of the Nokia. from what im seeing aside from the good looking phone case its nothing but problems from them.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Sorry. Can't quote. Damn Board Express.

Not knocking (no pun intended) the Focus. In fact, I refuse to knock any WP device. Just tried to make a funny based on today's current Nokia news.

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't really fair to stack up a budget Android against a mid-range WP7 was it?

So I bought a One X to set against my Lumia 800.

That didn't change my results though :p My replacement for the X will be the Lumia 900 for sure, uncertainty about upgrades notwithstanding. Haven't decided whether to sell the HTC - Android for all it's *huge* negatives in 'everyday getting-out-of-your-face' use does have some merits, especially for some stuff I like doing.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It wasn't really fair to stack up a budget Android against a mid-range WP7 was it?

That didn't change my results though :p My replacement for the X will be the Lumia 900 for sure, uncertainty about upgrades notwithstanding. Haven't decided whether to sell the HTC - Android for all it's *huge* negatives in 'everyday getting-out-of-your-face' use does have some merits, especially for some stuff I like doing.

you sir are missing the point, he said that the burst he was using had a DUAL CORE processor and 1GB of RAM, the focus and focus S by comparison have 512MB RAM and 1-1.4ghz SINGLE CORE processor. So yea the comparison was fair and the Android device wasn't budget.

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
you sir are missing the point, he said that the burst he was using had a DUAL CORE processor and 1GB of RAM, the focus and focus S by comparison have 512MB RAM and 1-1.4ghz SINGLE CORE processor. So yea the comparison was fair and the Android device wasn't budget.

You sir are missing the point by saying I am missing the point.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
LOL @ mama im coming home.....

well glad to see you come back :) and a positive thread about WP is always fun!

welcome back to the.. hmmm ..the darkside?? I dout WP is considered the light side, HAHA.

id have to say I agree with some of you reasons , like how its a UGLY OS , I to cant stand Android , i always end up doing 50 things before doing the one thing i was TRYING to do! lol

I just like WP cause it WORKS , and if i want something its never more then 1 or 2 push away!!! :p

:D:D WELCOME BACK :D:D

Yeah, def the dark side... Major carrier partner in the US is the death star, after all!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Just a week ago I was trumpeting the One X, then I found out that users were reporting serious multitasking issues (third-party streaming music apps quitting, apps getting unloaded from memory way too quickly). Are you experiencing any problems?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Welcome back. I can see how WP can feel like home to those who wanted to explore other options. It's such a well thought out, easy to use, and elegant OS that it's a pleasure to use. :)

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

Well, maybe I wasn't really clear in my original post.

I wasn't really comparing, specs wise, Android phones with Windows phones. My point was that the Burst, at the time it came out (late January), was competing, performance wise, with some of the best Android phones on the market at that time, like the Razr Maxx and the Skyrocket. So for a "budget" Android device, it was performing like a top of the line device (the small screen and low resolution is how they got the price cheap enough to consider it a mid-range phone). So my expectations are that a "top performing" Android phone should be able to handle live wallpapers and a few widgets and still scroll smoothly and work well. It didn't. It got bogged down and acted like any other Android phone I've ever used.

My experience with Windows phone is, no matter what the speed of the processor or ram, it performs pretty much like every other Windows phone. So you don't have to pick your WP7 phone based on performance, because you know it'll just work. You can pick it based on other things that are important to you (audio, camera, screen size, etc). Its....refreshing to not have to worry about ram or processor speed in a phone.

Now, the HTC One X blows the Burst out of the water, but its also a newer generation (3 months newer is, yes, a new generation in the world of Android phones).

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
specs dont matter anyway... its about user experience. and i have had a better user experience with my trophy than high end androids with much higher specs. welcome home

turbulent28

May 15, 2012
Visit site
For new customers, for people who want things to just work, Windows is perfect. Its simple yet dare i say, elegant.

My wife and I have had crap phones for a long time and only because we didnt want to give up our grandfathered plan with Sprint. The highest I could upgrade to was a HTC touch pro 2. Tried it. HATED IT. So I was stuck with my trusty Palm Centro (THAT JUST WORKED) and my wife with her Treo PRO (didnt work all that well..lol)

I got her the Focus S and she picked it up quick. No app to release memory, no tiny crammed icons, no more constant rom flashing, no more having to keep up to date with ROM threads..No more babysitting..

Its wonderful. It just works.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yep, same here. Focus S had a defect in usb port so I sent it back to Samsung for warranty work and used a Sony Xperia Play and Iphone 3gs in the two week down time. Got my Focus S back last night and WHAT A PLEASURE!!! So FAST and responsive, just works with minimal tinkering.

I learned to flash roms on the Xperia but it becomes an obsession and you are always looking for the "perfect" setup, very unhealthy obsession for me and more of a plaything than a phone.

Iphone 3gs, what a pig!! So slow to do anything! Back to using it as an Ipod Touch.
:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium