First Thread! Sharing info vs. android and ios

patch321

May 19, 2012
Visit site
i've been through iphone. i hated how closed everything was. it seemed like you had to open 3 different apps to add something to read it later or even edit and upload a pic to facebook.

i currently am with android. i enjoy how easy it is to share everything between apps. i share a cool website from my browser to read it later. i can edit a picture and share it with any other app all from within the gallery. but android is sooooooooo ugly and clunky feeling!

i've seen the "i got smoked by a windows phone" campeign and i have to admit i'm pretty impressed. i've played with wp7 phones at my local at&t store and i'm equally impressed.

essentially i use my phone to share status's pictures of my daughter with family and read articles from all over the internet and like to be able to save them to save it later. so essentially my question is: is all this done more in an apple style where virtually no apps talk to each other, an android style where all of them are able to talk to each other, or somewhere in between?

tl;dr tell me how to share stuff!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Let me start off by saying welcome to our community! The moment you take a picture with a WP7, swipe down to get from the camera UI to the pic you just took, and tap the ... at the bottom right of the screen to bring up your options. Any photo-editing apps you have will show up here, as well as the incredible built in auto-fix. Also the share on Facebook and share... options. These are different. Share on Facebook does what it says, and also includes automatic tagging, whereas share... gives a list of options including email, SMS, social networks (twitter, etc), SkyDrive, IM, and more. Everything is very well integrated. I like to think of it this way: on iPhone and Android "there's an app for that"; on WP7 "you don't need an app for that. It's built into the OS". Not that catchy, I know, but you you get the idea. :)

I would like to add playing with one in store, while better than a dummy model, still pales in comparison to the full experience: WP doesn't come alive until you add your various accounts.

DanielCeleste

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
First of all, you can save to Pocket (formerly read it later) from any web browser period through a bookmarklet, so any smartphone should suffice in that department. Also, with iOS 4 & 5 (and 6 coming later this year) apps have been very capable of interacting with each other.

For what you like to do, I would recommend iPhone or Android because they have native Pocket (read it later) with iCloud and Chrome sync. If you like Pocket (read it later), iPhone and Android have official apps, whereas WP7 only has alternatives.

For posting pictures of your daughter, WP7 is fast, but offers pretty good photo editing options, but not nearly as much as iOS and Android. Also, you'll find that the iPhone 4S has the best camera on the market, when considering the quality of the photos (not resolution) because after all, that is the most important part.

now for everyone else reading this, PLEASE don't get all whiney because I like windows phone. I would use it before android any day, and think it is a worthy iPhone competitor. I just don't see it as being the OS on my next smartphone, since it is actually very closed compared to iOS (based on app selection and functionality). Maybe Apollo will change things, but iOS 6 is coming out at the same time.

The bottom line is, wait for the fall and choose between iOS and android.

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express

DanielCeleste

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Also, I forgot to mention some things:
1. iPhone has built in twitter, but that's it, so consider that in your selection. (you cold always make tweets go to Facebook automatically)
And iOS has many more out of the box photo editing tools.

2. Don't always believe Smoked by Windows phone. These are trained professionals with optimized configurations on their phones vs. stupid average people who think that the best way to find a nearby five star restaurant is to google "nearby five star restaurant". If you challenged them to see who could crop a photo and remove red rye the fastest, they'd loose by a mile since its not built in.

3. If you want to be connected to the people you care about faster, Windows Phone is definitely the best option

4. I AM NOT BEING BIASED IN ANY WAY. I'm just telling how it is.

patch321

May 19, 2012
Visit site
i will agree with you that as far as photo options, and especially camera quality, the winner would have to be iphone. saying that, i have played with the lumia and the titan II and was very impressed with their "auto-fix" function.

i however have to strongly disagree with you about apps integrating well in iOS. i can't save a photo to dropbox without opening the dropbox app. i can't facebook an interesting article from safari. i can't send a fun photo to my picasa account (or anything other than twitter for that matter). i can't find a diner in maps and then use waze to navigate without copying and pasting

in iOS apps only talk with other apps that are specifically mentioned in their programming.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Listen to freestaterocker. You've already been through iOS, you know what you dislike about it. You like Android, but think it's a mess, which it is. The camera on WP can talk to any app even close to being related to photos. The uploading to Facebook is a breeze, since Facebook is built in. It will even automatically tag the people in the picture.

If you can, get the Lumia 900. You won't regret it.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

patch321

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I like to think of it this way: on iPhone and Android "there's an app for that"; on WP7 "you don't need an app for that. It's built into the OS". Not that catchy, I know, but you you get the idea. :)

the more i play with the phone the more i'm pleasantly surprised to find this is true.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Maybe Apollo will change things, but iOS 6 is coming out at the same time.

I I really hate this comment...

Because we all know Apollo has big changes to either finally catch up on missing functions or blow the market away with its tight integration with smartphone, tablet and PC's.

Do I think it will be better than Android, maybe not, but I do know I won't have to deal with rooting, fragmented OS (unless I pick the right OEM) and needing antivirus.

Do I think it will be better than IOS 6? Maybe not but if it's anything like the IOS upgrades, they weren't exactly huge. Then you have to worry about Apple doing stupid stuff like stopping your Iphone 4 from having siri, because iPhone 4S (needed to be known as your $199 phone).

Apollo may not be exactly like Android or IOS but that's a good thing. Will it not be better??? No, it will be better.

patch321

May 19, 2012
Visit site
i personally enjoy the way the apps look in windows phone. they all seem like they belong on the same device running the same software. android apps are often ugly as sin. gray and boring. i'm sure there's and android app that can hack into my neighbors wifi and stream his cable connection straight to my phone all the while watching two movies simultaneously in HD. will i ever use that? no.

didn't mean for my first post to turn into android vs ios vs WP7. really just wanted to know how integrated all the apps are with each other. i DO like how android does that.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
i personally enjoy the way the apps look in windows phone. they all seem like they belong on the same device running the same software. android apps are often ugly as sin. gray and boring. i'm sure there's and android app that can hack into my neighbors wifi and stream his cable connection straight to my phone all the while watching two movies simultaneously in HD. will i ever use that? no.

didn't mean for my first post to turn into android vs ios vs WP7. really just wanted to know how integrated all the apps are with each other. i DO like how android does that.

Integration is the whole show with WP. I will be the first to admit there are things that it doesn't do as well as Android, integration is generally not one of them. For example: I am a man of faith and regularly read the bible on my phone with the Youversion app. Youversion has an audio option for most of the couple hundred translations it offers. I can access the audio bible through the Zune media player if I'm driving and listening to music or whatever. It's right there. I realize this might not be a feature you care about, I'm just using it as an example of the integration that can be found all over the WP OS.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
First of all, you can save to Pocket (formerly read it later) from any web browser period through a bookmarklet, so any smartphone should suffice in that department. Also, with iOS 4 & 5 (and 6 coming later this year) apps have been very capable of interacting with each other.

For what you like to do, I would recommend iPhone or Android because they have native Pocket (read it later) with iCloud and Chrome sync. If you like Pocket (read it later), iPhone and Android have official apps, whereas WP7 only has alternatives.

For posting pictures of your daughter, WP7 is fast, but offers pretty good photo editing options, but not nearly as much as iOS and Android. Also, you'll find that the iPhone 4S has the best camera on the market, when considering the quality of the photos (not resolution) because after all, that is the most important part.

now for everyone else reading this, PLEASE don't get all whiney because I like windows phone. I would use it before android any day, and think it is a worthy iPhone competitor. I just don't see it as being the OS on my next smartphone, since it is actually very closed compared to iOS (based on app selection and functionality). Maybe Apollo will change things, but iOS 6 is coming out at the same time.

not biased but yet you are recommending Android and iOS over WP on a WP site,doesn't make sense at all. The iPhone doesn't have the best camera on the market, the titan 2 does. Many reviews have said this already.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been off the forum for a bit, but come back to read this as my first thread and am genuinely annoyed. The OP was earnest in their original query. Freestaterocker gave a great reply and some others were also on point. Then, this generally positive topic gets railroaded by recommending iOS or Android by DanielCeleste. As someone has stated, first and foremost, this IS a WinPhone7 forum. The OP has stated his feelings on those other 2 os'es already. What was the point of that? If the question was asked here, we should be striving to teach and introduce the OP to what advantages Win7.5 has, and it has EXACTLY what they are asking about as his prime directives.

Sorry, I just feel that true users, like most here, should be ambassadors for the platform. I'd you want to recommend something else, Do it at AndroidCentral or any of the hundreds of iOS sites...none of which I know because I don't go there to preach Android or Windows.

patch321

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Do it at AndroidCentral or any of the hundreds of iOS sites...none of which I know because I don't go there to preach Android or Windows.

Thank you! there's a reason that i didn't go there to ask those questions even though i am a member at AC. Thank you for your reply as well. I don't have an upgrade available but i found someone to trade with over craigslist. after tomorrow i will be the owner of a samsung focus flash. i know it's not the greatest phone to start WP7 with, but it'll have to do :)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! there's a reason that i didn't go there to ask those questions even though i am a member at AC. Thank you for your reply as well. I don't have an upgrade available but i found someone to trade with over craigslist. after tomorrow i will be the owner of a samsung focus flash. i know it's not the greatest phone to start WP7 with, but it'll have to do :)

Apart from less onboard storage and the pentile display--which only bothers some--the focus flash is a fantastic device. Great battery life, zippy processor, ffc... What more could you ask for? I'd buy one if it was available in Canada.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
ive used all of the cloud storage devices....

google drive sucks - i love the integration with the desktop, but its mobile viewing options are horrible. you cant view a tile pic of a file, so you really have to click on a file name, an wait for it to load before you know what you just opened. and unless you have every pic labeled this is a bad user experience IMO. in addition there is no auto upload otion

icould - this is just a poor exuse for cloud storage. nothing about it even remotely compares to skydrive

dropbox - this is ok, i actually liked its integration with the desktop as well, but it only gives you 2 gb for free... so whats the point?

skydrive - i have 25 gb for FREE!!!!!! it auto uploads photos, it shows a tile pic of the file, its very metro, the user experience is amazing... plus uploads 10x faster than all the others. it also integrates all of your docs and files, along with any notes you make... eliminating the need for evernote or any third party app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss