Any other Tmobile customers thinking of jumping ship?

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I have old SunCom plans so I have grandfathered in unlimited data. The current Tmo plans are $49.99 unlimited talk / messaging 2GB of 4G after the 2GB you get throttled to 3G.
ATT $89 500 minutes but free mobile to mobile / unlimited messaging / 3GB.
Walmart Wireless offers T-Mobile $30/month 100 minutes, 5 GB 4G data, unlimited text and web

Best deal, IMO.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
See, that's the reason I want to switch to T-Mobile. It's less about cost and more about value. I can pay AT&T just fine but I don't feel like I'm getting any value for the high price I'm paying. I have a 2GB plan but I often hover around 700MB-1GB of data used per month. And I'd be using way less if the WiFi on the Titan wasn't so wonky/weak. Occasionally I'll watch a video but the most data intensive thing I do per month is browse the web (I do that a lot), and thankfully most of the sites I visit have mobile versions. My girl has the 3GB plan but has yet to break 100MB. We're essentially paying AT&T an absurd amount of money to browse the web and send texts. Doesn't seem worth it. Switching to T-Mobile and dropping down to Edge sounds painful (at least until the refarming is done), but paying AT&T for 3G and not using it sounds equally painful.

Exactly, AT&T forces you to pay for minutes you don't use and on prepaid (which is the only service I'll pay for), they arbitrarily throttle to 3G speeds, even if your handset is "4G" HSPA+ capable. ...not to mention it's $25 for 1GB of throttled speed as compared to T-Mo's 5GB at HSPA+ speeds for $30 (which also includes 100 mins and unlimited messaging).

For someone who primarily needs data, and lots of it, AT&T simply isn't a sensible option until they unthrottle and offer reasonably priced data and minute tiers.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I have old SunCom plans so I have grandfathered in unlimited data. The current Tmo plans are $49.99 unlimited talk / messaging 2GB of 4G after the 2GB you get throttled to 3G.
ATT $89 500 minutes but free mobile to mobile / unlimited messaging / 3GB.

Fifty bucks for unlimited talk and messaging with 2GB of 4G isn't bad. I'll check the coverage and phone selection in November.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
You know everyone slams Verizon for high prices but it's the same argument everyone is using here - you get what you pay for. While some carriers have as good or even better coverage in some areas overall Verizon has the best network for voice and most reliable for data (3G is slow - around 1-2 Mbits/sec - good enough for streaming and e-mail, little slow on the web). In my home area (rural) it is the best by a large margin and when I travel I always have better coverage than my colleagues. I would love to switch to a cheaper plan on T-Mo - not happening. So for those of you happy on T-Mo or ATT (or even Sprint) or some kind of pre-paid that's awesome that you can save some money. Unless some other network comes up to Verizon's network in coverage/service I will be staying with Verizon and if MS can't get a WP8 LTE/CDMA device going I'll continue being an Android person (don't "get" the iPhone). And by the way, all the Android Hate by lots of people on here and by Paul Thurrotte doesn't compute with my experience - MS is going to have to win my business and just putting a mediocre WP8 device on Verizon (if Verizon even carries it) is not going to be enough - not that wowed by Windows Phone. Also, the longer I'm on Android the less likely I am to switch (I've already got a sizable investment in Google Music and Android Apps).

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm on T-MO three HD7 and two Lumia 710's I would love to see some sort of high end device Lumia 900 Titian II. If they don't get any high end device by the time WP8 comes out then I would think of changing the family plan on over to AT&T.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
You know everyone slams Verizon for high prices but it's the same argument everyone is using here - you get what you pay for. While some carriers have as good or even better coverage in some areas overall Verizon has the best network for voice and most reliable for data (3G is slow - around 1-2 Mbits/sec - good enough for streaming and e-mail, little slow on the web). In my home area (rural) it is the best by a large margin and when I travel I always have better coverage than my colleagues. I would love to switch to a cheaper plan on T-Mo - not happening. So for those of you happy on T-Mo or ATT (or even Sprint) or some kind of pre-paid that's awesome that you can save some money. Unless some other network comes up to Verizon's network in coverage/service I will be staying with Verizon and if MS can't get a WP8 LTE/CDMA device going I'll continue being an Android person (don't "get" the iPhone). And by the way, all the Android Hate by lots of people on here and by Paul Thurrotte doesn't compute with my experience - MS is going to have to win my business and just putting a mediocre WP8 device on Verizon (if Verizon even carries it) is not going to be enough - not that wowed by Windows Phone. Also, the longer I'm on Android the less likely I am to switch (I've already got a sizable investment in Google Music and Android Apps).
Feel better now bro?

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Wow, are you people serious about calling T-Mo customers cheap and/or unable to budget?

I use T-Mo because it delivers the best value to me at the lowest cost, THAT'S basic economics for those of you playing along at home. Does this mean I somehow deserve less of a phone? I should think not.

I recognize the business reasons why T-Mo may not have the highest end WPs, but to jump to the conclusion that T-Mo users are somehow undeserving because we pay less for our plans is idiotic. I buy my phones outright and use month to month because it affords me the most control over my hardware and services while being untethered to any one carrier. AT&T's monthly plans are horrifically over-priced for the services they provide.

So, I ask, who is the more astute budgeter: the AT&T customer who is locked into a contract paying $80-$100/month or the T-Mo customer off-contract paying $30-$50/month for over twice the data?

...more to the point of this thread though, I agree I'd really love to see a higher end WP on T-Mo. I've got the 710, but I liked the 800/900 design so much I bought the cyan N9 too just so I could use a phone with that look with T-Mo's HSPA+. Here's to hoping for a great Apollo device later, or even just accelerated 1900MHz refarming so we can use the 800/900 on HSPA+.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

This is a stupid argument. Come back to me when T-Mobile has over 100 million people on their network, then let's see if they can manage their network and offer the same data. Face it, T-Mobile is too small compared to AT&T. The only reason why Sprint and T-Mobile can even offer those type of data plans is cause they don't have as many people on their network as Verizon and AT&T. It becomes more expensive to maintain a network with that many people on it. Let's not compare their little 33 million people to AT&T's 100+ million.

At the end of the day, T-Mobile does appeal to people who can't afford premium rates. Do they sell high end phones? sure but they don't sell at a higher rate than AT&T cause AT&T has almost 4x more people. T-Mobile could barely sell the HD7, that's probably the reason they went low end this time. Just to be on the safe side cause most of their customers are either still on feature phones or just getting into smartphones. Once Windows Phone becomes more popular and sell more, they'll take their chances with high end phones. They couldn't even sell the HD7. Most people I speak to who own a HD7 only got it cause T-Mobile was giving it away for free. That was the only way they were gonna get rid of them

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Well me and the wife already exited this weekend from T-Mobile to AT&T. Couldn't stand the lack of coverage and the definite lack of a good variety of phones. The coverage issue is a big problem as we did roam a bit of network and the last straw is when they made the new data roaming agreement. Capping people off at 100MB data roaming when your network is pretty substandard most places and you have to roam to maintain service when traveling a lot just sucks. The roaming data cap did them in for us.

The lack of phones is also a big problem. I don't buy subsidized phones from them I buy my own outright(helps avoid contracts). Verizon & AT&T are just sucking up all the good phones and T-Mobile is just standing there with a dumb look on its face. Some on here are right they are a good value and have great plans but that also dictates the phones they offer. They are a value and budget carrier that caters to those types of customers, so they get one or two premier phones every blue moon.

Since me and the wife get a Dept. of army discount it doesn't affect us to much price wise to change carriers. The is no value left using T-Mobile we you have the following to contend with.

1. if you travel a lot you will find a good amount of places where T-Mobile has no service and you roam.
2. The new Domestic data roaming cap is now a big deal breaker.
3. Lack of a good variety of top end phones.
4. They need to expand there network to cover more places.

The refarming will help the phone issue just a bit, but if the phone is a feature release you can't unlock it for a while to use on T-Mobile or vice versa for a good while. The coverage though and the data roaming cap just stings when T-Mobile knows there network just is not in a lot of places. When the wife came to me because her data roaming on a trip hit the cap and her data roaming was shut off for the rest of the billing cycle, I knew our time with T-Mobile had come to an end.

You give some things up for that perceived value of lower cost plans but we are paying the same cost for better no contract phones, better coverage, 4G + LTE, and don't roam at all now. I don't know about some of you guys but I can and will pay more for the better positives we get now. Value is only so good till you see some of the things you give up for that Value. T-Mobile showed us that the value they give has drawbacks associated with it.

Last edited:

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
You give some things up for that perceived value of lower cost plans but we are paying the same cost for better no contract phones, better coverage, 4G + LTE, and don't roam at all now. I don't know about some of you guys but I can and will pay more for the better positives we get now. Value is only so good till you see some of the things you give up for that Value. T-Mobile showed us that the value they give has drawbacks associated with it.

Exactly and people here want to knock AT&T, yet when they roam, they piggyback on AT&T's network. So without AT&T most of you wouldn't have a signal when your off coverage

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Exactly and people here want to knock AT&T, yet when they roam, they piggyback on AT&T's network. So without AT&T most of you wouldn't have a signal when your off coverage

Yep i'm not bashing T-Mobile because they have value to consumers, but for some don't try to say they don't have some minuses because all four wireless companies do. Even though AT&T & Verizon are more expensive but you get some more positives with that high cost to go with the negatives.

Same with T-Mobile and sprint. They have there positives but there are some negatives as well. It is up to the consumer to make the choice and weigh those negatives & positives. Me and the wife did and AT&T fits us because the positives of other features and phones outweigh the negatives of the higher plan cost.

The motto of a "fool and his money are soon parted" is good. But some of you need to remember " you get what you pay for". You may cheap out one time two many and it bites you in the arse. For me and the wife we got bit. We will now on look really close at the drawbacks and hidden stipulations to these value plans and companies.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Well me and the wife already exited this weekend from T-Mobile to AT&T. Couldn't stand the lack of coverage and the definite lack of a good variety of phones. The coverage issue is a big problem as we did roam a bit of network and the last straw is when they made the new data roaming agreement. Capping people off at 100MB data roaming when your network is pretty substandard most places and you have to roam to maintain service when traveling a lot just sucks. The roaming data cap did them in for us.

The lack of phones is also a big problem. I don't buy subsidized phones from them I buy my own outright(helps avoid contracts). Verizon & AT&T are just sucking up all the good phones and T-Mobile is just standing there with a dumb look on its face. Some on here are right they are a good value and have great plans but that also dictates the phones they offer. They are a value and budget carrier that caters to those types of customers, so they get one or two premier phones every blue moon.

Since me and the wife get a Dept. of army discount it doesn't affect us to much price wise to change carriers. The is no value left using T-Mobile we you have the following to contend with.

1. if you travel a lot you will find a good amount of places where T-Mobile has no service and you roam.
2. The new Domestic data roaming cap is now a big deal breaker.
3. Lack of a good variety of top end phones.
4. They need to expand there network to cover more places.

The refarming will help the phone issue just a bit, but if the phone is a feature release you can't unlock it for a while to use on T-Mobile or vice versa for a good while. The coverage though and the data roaming cap just stings when T-Mobile knows there network just is not in a lot of places. When the wife came to me because her data roaming on a trip hit the cap and her data roaming was shut off for the rest of the billing cycle, I knew our time with T-Mobile had come to an end.

Is this becoming the official WPCentral T-mobile bash thread or what?

As if T-mobile's coverage will stay the way it is forever,it's not. As part of the refarming coverage will be expanded as well. As far as phones that's far from the truth, T-mobile gets plenty of high end android phones and has gotten a high end WP in the first Gen. I have no doubts that T-mobile will deliver a high end phone when wp8 comes along.plus T-mobile also has a much better track record at pushing out updates, much better than the other carriers not just for WP but for other OSes too.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

As if T-mobile's coverage will stay the way it is forever,it's not. As part of the refarming coverage will be expanded as well. As far as phones that's far from the truth, T-mobile gets plenty of high end android phones and has gotten a high end WP in the first Gen. I have no doubts that T-mobile will deliver a high end phone when wp8 comes along.plus T-mobile also has a much better track record at pushing out updates, much better than the other carriers not just for WP but for other OSes too.

This isn't about bashing t-mobile. It just is what it is. They can refarm all they want. They still are the smallest of the big 4. They still are a budget carrier. Most of the people on their network either still on feature phones or use low end smartphones. That's their target market. Just cause they might offer a few high end phones it doesn't mean they sell well. Whatever t-mobile has, AT&T has plus more. 33 million people isn't enough for high end phones to sell like they do on a carrier with over 100 million people who can afford alittle more. Once people understand that and accept it then we wouldn't be having this discussion

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site

Sorry but I'm not bashing T-Mobile. The refarming will take time and even then not all areas will be getting it based on their spectrum holdings. If you are in a T-Mobile area that has good coverage then fine. If you are in an area that has finicky coverage and you roam a good deal then it won't be fine.

They lost a good bit of postpaid customers I'm betting because of the points I made. The new data roaming was probably a major factor in why a lot of people left. They have good plans that not a debate. But to have subpar coverage related to the other 3 carriers and to then put a limit on data roaming when your coverage is like that........that is insane.

The other 3 have data roaming limits as well but they have the network coverage to back that up. Some here seem to like to sugar coat some of T-mobiles negatives to make them look better than what they really are......which is indeed a budget/value carrier.

As far as high end phones theirs no need to debate because sales numbers show it all. Not to mention the product lines of the others that T-Mobile is not selling a lot of high end phones. Every carrier will most likely drop high end WP8 phones as well so T-Mobile won't be the only one. Updates depends on phone make and carrier to deliver. Sometimes it goes right and sometimes there are problems.

T-Mobile has a good track record of updates to phones that sell well. But a bad record of selling phones with numerous problems. The LG g2x rings a bell, the worst high end phone ever.

Point I'm making is don't just steer people to one carrier based off perceived value without telling the bad with the good. Give people the whole story of these carriers and let them make the decision.

T-Mobile is pushed a lot in these forums. The noobs and others that come here asking question don't get full answers just half truths that don't help there decisions. All 4 have there pro's and con's and there is no need to sugar coat none of them.

Just because a certain carrier is a good fit for you in your area doesn't mean they are good for everyone else.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
My only point in this was to point out false logic. I recognize that T-Mo is a budget carrier, by definition - they focus their marketing on and target a lower end consumer with low prices. Be that as it may, you cannot turn around and make the claim that all T-Mo customers are low budget, low income customers...it's just not true.

I subscribe to what they tell people over at Android Central about carriers - use the one that's best for you in and around your area since that's where 95% of people spend 95% of their time. For me, T-Mo works great where I live, so to pay more than twice as much for half the data and no messaging makes no sense.

As a customer who is willing to shell out $500-$600 for a new, high end device off-contract, I hope, just like the OP, that we will see one on T-Mo, particularly when Apollo debuts. If not, then I hope the reframing efforts will be finished sooner rather than later so I can use an AT&T/global high end device on the HSPA+ network. This is precisely why I do off-contract month-to-month, so that I am not limited to just the phones/service plans on the carrier I happen to be using.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
This isn't about bashing t-mobile. It just is what it is. They can refarm all they want. They still are the smallest of the big 4. They still are a budget carrier. Most of the people on their network either still on feature phones or use low end smartphones. That's their target market. Just cause they might offer a few high end phones it doesn't mean they sell well. Whatever t-mobile has, AT&T has plus more. 33 million people isn't enough for high end phones to sell like they do on a carrier with over 100 million people who can afford alittle more. Once people understand that and accept it then we wouldn't be having this discussion
4th place, so what? Big deal,the feature phone market isn't their target because they aren't selling any in the stores anymore. To say they only sell low end phones and feature phones to value customers is absolutely ridiculous. Boost,Virgin (brands of sprint) have far more value low end phones than T-mobile does and they don't even have the freedom to pick whatever phone they want like they will with T-mobile. The SGS2 and HTC amaze were their highest selling phones and they're high end, they will have one for WP8 they were rumored to be testing one along with VZ. USCC got high prices now too and the only reason their network is the way it is,is because of their roaming agreement with VZ. Their coverage footprint was originally smaller than T-mobile and their customer base is smaller than T-mobile. They are a value carrier as well only for people who just talk and text which is still the majority of their customers but if one wants a smartphone their prices are almost as high as AT&T and VZ. Where's the logic there?
Sorry but I'm not bashing T-Mobile. The refarming will take time and even then not all areas will be getting it based on their spectrum holdings. If you are in a T-Mobile area that has good coverage then fine. If you are in an area that has finicky coverage and you roam a good deal then it won't be fine.

They lost a good bit of postpaid customers I'm betting because of the points I made. The new data roaming was probably a major factor in why a lot of people left. They have good plans that not a debate. But to have subpar coverage related to the other 3 carriers and to then put a limit on data roaming when your coverage is like that........that is insane.

The other 3 have data roaming limits as well but they have the network coverage to back that up. Some here seem to like to sugar coat some of T-mobiles negatives to make them look better than what they really are......which is indeed a budget/value carrier.

As far as high end phones theirs no need to debate because sales numbers show it all. Not to mention the product lines of the others that T-Mobile is not selling a lot of high end phones. Every carrier will most likely drop high end WP8 phones as well so T-Mobile won't be the only one. Updates depends on phone make and carrier to deliver. Sometimes it goes right and sometimes there are problems.

T-Mobile has a good track record of updates to phones that sell well. But a bad record of selling phones with numerous problems. The LG g2x rings a bell, the worst high end phone ever.

Point I'm making is don't just steer people to one carrier based off perceived value without telling the bad with the good. Give people the whole story of these carriers and let them make the decision.

T-Mobile is pushed a lot in these forums. The noobs and others that come here asking question don't get full answers just half truths that don't help there decisions. All 4 have there pro's and con's and there is no need to sugar coat none of them.

Just because a certain carrier is a good fit for you in your area doesn't mean they are good for everyone else.

They didn't lose customers because of roaming they lost customers because of the AT&T buyout and because they don't have the iPhone. Once the refarming takes effect people will come back.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
My only point in this was to point out false logic. I recognize that T-Mo is a budget carrier, by definition - they focus their marketing on and target a lower end consumer with low prices. Be that as it may, you cannot turn around and make the claim that all T-Mo customers are low budget, low income customers...it's just not true.

I subscribe to what they tell people over at Android Central about carriers - use the one that's best for you in and around your area since that's where 95% of people spend 95% of their time. For me, T-Mo works great where I live, so to pay more than twice as much for half the data and no messaging makes no sense.

As a customer who is willing to shell out $500-$600 for a new, high end device off-contract, I hope, just like the OP, that we will see one on T-Mo, particularly when Apollo debuts. If not, then I hope the reframing efforts will be finished sooner rather than later so I can use an AT&T/global high end device on the HSPA+ network. This is precisely why I do off-contract month-to-month, so that I am not limited to just the phones/service plans on the carrier I happen to be using.

I know I haven't referred to people that use T-Mobile as low budget, I have just stated like you just did that customers T-Mobile target with there service. Even I know not all people or low budget on T-Mobile. That's why I said if it works great for you that's good.

But don't flame people that state the obvious con's that do exist on T-Mobile and all other carriers. That's the problem when people try there best to say what others state as false when it comes to some of the problems they encounter with these carriers.

I don't agree with Los stating that T-Mobile is for cheap people because it is not. But at the same time the economics for getting the better phones is not in t-mobiles favor. These carriers are out to make money and so are the phone manufacturers. The phone manufacturers make deals with the carriers to get the best profit they can. As a carrier if you are not willing to really push for sales of there phones they won't make deals to have those phones sold on that carrier. That's why you see sprint and Verizon don't carry any of the latest WP's.

Also WP's have yet to reach a volume point that makes some carriers want to carry them. AT&T, T-Mobile carries them for particular reasons. AT&t especially does it because they want to be able to diversify there lineup and as a big wedge to have leverage against Apple & Google. They needed the leverage to push back against the two big platforms. Verizon is slowly thinking the same.

I hope the best for T-Mobile but I want to use my phone now...not later after a spectrum refarming, when they decide to get a better variety of phones, or expand there coverage network with new towers. Me and the wife wanted to have good phones with good networks to use them on. Some are satisfied with T-Mobile but we were not. We were long time customers, but it gets to a point where we are tired of the waiting and issues.

We decided we were better served by someone else and are happy. Cost of plans are irrelevant because we buy our phones unsubsidized and get government discounts on service with all 4 carriers. The cost of our family service is less with AT&T as it was with T-Mobile with roughly the same options. At least now we don't have to have a separate data plan for each line.

Be like we agree on to each it's own. We hope that T-Mobile executes their plans but we refused to wait around till they do.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
4th place, so what? Big deal,the feature phone market isn't their target because they aren't selling any in the stores anymore. To say they only sell low end phones and feature phones to value customers is absolutely ridiculous. Boost,Virgin (brands of sprint) have far more value low end phones than T-mobile does and they don't even have the freedom to pick whatever phone they want like they will with T-mobile. The SGS2 and HTC amaze were their highest selling phones and they're high end, they will have one for WP8 they were rumored to be testing one along with VZ. USCC got high prices now too and the only reason their network is the way it is,is because of their roaming agreement with VZ. Their coverage footprint was originally smaller than T-mobile and their customer base is smaller than T-mobile. They are a value carrier as well only for people who just talk and text which is still the majority of their customers but if one wants a smartphone their prices are almost as high as AT&T and VZ. Where's the logic there?

They didn't lose customers because of roaming they lost customers because of the AT&T buyout and because they don't have the iPhone. Once the refarming takes effect people will come back.

The buyout did put a dent in them but that deal was denied since December 2011. So your telling me 5 months later after it was shot down customers are still fleeing T-Mobile. So your saying T-Mobile didn't have any backup plans. We can also give the IPhone excuse a rest. Everyone doesn't want an IPhone and if they did T-Mobile would have been dead after sprint got it.

The data roaming cap did indeed break the camels back for a lot of customers and after that announcement they reported a big quarterly loss of postpaid customers. Customers will be locked in with other carriers about time they finish their refarming in my opinion.

I hope they do get it done but We have left them because we refuse to keep waiting till they get there act together.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The bottom line with any cell company is the coverage. It doesn't matter how great their plans are if they don't work in the area you are at most of the time. T-Mobile looks to have solid phones to me. Don't get me wrong, if your looking for a high-end WP like the Titan 2 or Lumia they don't have that, but what they do offer is better than Verizon. If their coverage is solid where you're at and you can get their 4G I think T-Mobile is the way to go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre