I guess its a good time be owning a windows phone

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if At&T or Verizon will sell antivirus packages with their cell service for Android and include a new malware kit for free.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh really? Name one....

Sorry but being able to change the volume seperately and hve a browser forward button are fairly large omissions.

Yes, fellow teen friend.. More like a 29 year old electrical engineer. Wow, I said "lol"... Nice personal attack though, beats attacking my argument eh?

why should we bother responding to your "argument" since you will just ignore anything that doesn't fit your view of things anyways and then continue spewing the same garbage regardless?

I have a better solution... *adds djdtox to ignore list*

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the WP7 SMS hack was ever fixed? That's the most hilarious, slightly apocalyptic bug I've ever heard of--someone texts you a string of digits, and it breaks your phone so badly you have to hard reset.

Every ecosystem has malware and security exploits.
As for OS X, I'm not actually sure it's more secure because of it's Unix underpinnings. Too many people are logged in as root when they shouldn't be.

The root user is disabled in Mac OS X by default, so no, the vast majority of people are NOT logged in as root.

Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Note, I said Windows XP, not Windows 7.

Windows 7 is much, much more secure than Windows XP and I'd say it's on par with Mac OS X now as far as how it's built. If anything, Microsoft is more aggressive than Apple at staying on top of this. They have to be because there are still many more threats to Windows out there.

The net result is both are very secure, but Windows still has exponentially more threats in it's ecosystem than Mac OS X does. I think anyone can use Windows 7 now and feel secure as long as they aren't foolish. I would never say the same about Windows XP.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
You guys are funny! Comparing vulnerable OS's is rather like comparing a regular postal box to being susceptible to junk mail or the rural mailboxes to kids out bashing them at night!

You got a box? You run the risk of suffering from either problem! Solution? Yeah a few: Toss the junk mail without reading it, shred it and use it in the bottom of the hamster cage, or for garden mulch. Protect the box from bashing by encasing it in concrete - or get a rubbermaid box (just about impervious to bashing but not uprooting). Or get a post office box!

Solutions pretty similar to installing spyware, malware and antivirus security. There are always going to be jerks out there testing the locks on your vehicles, houses and bikes - you keep those things secure don't you? And you do know that there are certain areas of town ( and the web) that are more prone to a predominance of jerks right?

If you are seeing MORE incidences in Android - could it be that it is simply because of the sheer NUMBERS of android devices out there? :straight: Its an exponential thing. Same as PC viruses on Windows - there are MORE windows PCs than Apple - so guess who gets affected more? Put on your thinking caps!

Then again ther IS that "open source" approach - not EVERY one with the wherewithall to generate a program is guided by sweetness and light.... I'm certain there are some who are influenced by the "dark side" and some that are just curious to see what they can accomplish.For heaven's sake if every developer's "Bug", "crash", "endless loop" or "forced reboot" was seen as "malware" - then we'd all be stuck with simply what microsoft and apple doled out!

Common sense folks, common sense use it!

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with this. Just because it's UNIX based doesn't mean it's more secure. There's a reason that Macs are often the first to crack in hacking contests. You're right that XP is less secure than Windows 7, but that's not the whole story. Apple has a pretty lax attitude about security, and they promote that attitude among their users.

The way UNIX handles permissions made Mac OS X inherently more secure than Windows XP and every version of Windows that preceded it. Microsoft addressed this in Windows Vista and 7 however and made the default permissions much stricter, used sandboxing and other methods to contain threats. I agree Apple has a history of being more lax about security over the years, though that's beginning to change. For the most part, it's users have been lax too, but they've been able to because a Mac becoming infected with malware or a virus has always been extremely rare. It's still quite rare.

That Java exploit that you speak of affected every platform including Windows and Linux. But it only really spread among Macs because Apple chose not to release the fix until 45 days after the other platforms. And as a percentage of users infected it was huge (about 1%), more than Blaster or even Conficker.

True. Apple was too lax about responding to this. They need to do a better job in the future.

And really, if you're gonna let Apple off the hook because it was a Java exploit, then you should let MS off the hook for all the numerous exploits based on Flash, Java, Acrobat, etc. that have infected Windows over the years.

The software developers all share some of the blame for those exploits on Windows as well, but in my opinion it's unacceptable that Windows XP was out there for so long and it was so vulnerable to becoming completely incapacitated when it was used by anyone other than a very savvy user with multiple forms of protection running and careful Internet habits. The technology existed for a long time that could have addressed this, Microsoft should have made Internet Explorer more secure a long time ago and they should have had robust built-in anti-virus and anti-malware protection running in the background and more secure default permissions by default on Windows XP years ago.

But that's all water under the bridge now. Windows 7 is great.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If you are seeing MORE incidences in Android - could it be that it is simply because of the sheer NUMBERS of android devices out there? :straight: Its an exponential thing. Same as PC viruses on Windows - there are MORE windows PCs than Apple - so guess who gets affected more? Put on your thinking caps!

That theory falls apart when you look at the iPhone which has a huge marketshare as well, but nowhere near the malware and exploit problems that Android has, even if you look at it proportionally.

Then again ther IS that "open source" approach - not EVERY one with the wherewithall to generate a program is guided by sweetness and light.... I'm certain there are some who are influenced by the "dark side" and some that are just curious to see what they can accomplish.For heaven's sake if every developer's "Bug", "crash", "endless loop" or "forced reboot" was seen as "malware" - then we'd all be stuck with simply what microsoft and apple doled out!

Other Linux variants manage to be much more secure and resilient than Android. I submit that Android is just poorly coded and poorly maintained by Google. They vacillate between keeping it truly open-source and closed when it suits their purposes. They don't contribute much at all to the Linux kernel if anything.

Personally I couldn't care less if Android dropped off the face of the earth. The only applications in which I think its of any use are when it's cleaned up and completely locked down, like in embedded applications or in devices like the Amazon Kindle Fire.

Just my opinion, but having a loosey goosey all over the place approach to OS and ecosystem is fine for something like a desktop computer which is more forgiving and simple, but it makes no sense in a purpose built device that needs to be reliable above all else, like a phone. Would you want your car running on Android with bloatware, and an OEM skin and 3 dozen different styles of interface for every application? That would be fun when you got a unexpected force close of your fuel injection system as you were trying to merge onto the highway? Would you flash an experimental ROM on your cars ECU before heading out on a long road trip with your kids in the car?

Risking instability and dealing with unreliability and poor performance might be an acceptable compromise for some people in exchange for being able to make their home screen look like the set of Battlestar Galactica, but for me it just seems like the stupidest idea ever.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
you ignored my pont that malware has als been found in the ios appstore... no os is 110% secure, sorry to burst your bubble.

To the person who said the beta test was over, why is your os still basically a beta then wiith all its missing features lol?

And you ignored that google does nothing until it happens. Microsoft does something before it happens. It might get through but it's never gonna run wild like it does on android.

It's like having a building with no metal detectors and security guards, then when someone sneaks in with a gun and starts robbing people, that's when they want to act like they want to take action. That's android, an " open market " with no metal detectors or security guards patting down devs before they enter. Would you feel safe in that building? Lol

Anyway, this is pointless cause you love windows phone. If you didn't, you wouldn't waste your time here. I definitely wouldn't ever waste my time on an android site

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Just to clear up some misconceptions people have here -

Apple be it on a Mac, iPad or iPhone has terrible security and Apple is one of the slowest moving companies on closing holes or even acknowledging they exist.

Siri is being blocked due to sending unsecured information to Apple, if you lose your phone it's simple to crack the phone and get EVERY password you have saved on it, exploits with the official Facebook and gmail apps, ways to bypass entering your security code, carrier IQ and soooo much more.

Apple flat out sucks at security. They are the laughing stock of security.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Just to clear up some misconceptions people have here -

Apple be it on a Mac, iPad or iPhone has terrible security and Apple is one of the slowest moving companies on closing holes or even acknowledging they exist.

Siri is being blocked due to sending unsecured information to Apple, if you lose your phone it's simple to crack the phone and get EVERY password you have saved on it, exploits with the official Facebook and gmail apps, ways to bypass entering your security code, carrier IQ and soooo much more.

Apple flat out sucks at security. They are the laughing stock of security.

I think it's useful to point out there are two distinctly different things to consider here.

One is considering the number of "security holes" identified by white hat hackers and security companies looking for exploits and the companies record on responding to them promptly.

The other is, what is the actual LIKELIHOOD of someone's computer being compromised and/or undermined by malware, viruses etc. and how often is it ACTUALLY happening.

Having the vulnerabilities is one thing, but the reality is that Macs are still RARELY being compromised or infected with damaging malware in any meaningful way. The news is full of information about vulnerabilities lately as Apple is increasingly the company people love to hate. But where are the legions of Mac users with computers crippled by malware? How is this actually manifesting itself in a way that hurts anyone? The answer is, ITS NOT.

So if you use a Mac now, you're STILL far less likely to get infected by malware or viruses or exploits because there are still far far less of them out there that target the Mac.

That said, Apple can't afford to be complacent. I agree with you there.

Apple needs to be more responsive to releasing patches related to security. They are introducing a new security control panel called Gatekeeper in Mac OS X 10.8 which should help considerably. The other thing Apple needs to do is respond more quickly when a vulnerability is identified.

In the meantime, any Mac user can take steps to harden their security TODAY. Turn on the firewall, run Software Update regularly, use FileVault, don't click on pop-ups, get your apps from the Mac App Store and don't be an idiot and install some alleged Mac anti-virus app from a banner ad. If you do all those things and use a secure password, I don't care what anyone says, there is a 99.999999999999999999999% chance you are not going to have any problem with security on a Mac.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
That theory falls apart when you look at the iPhone which has a huge marketshare as well, but nowhere near the malware and exploit problems that Android has, even if you look at it proportionally.

Other Linux variants manage to be much more secure and resilient than Android. I submit that Android is just poorly coded and poorly maintained by Google. They vacillate between keeping it truly open-source and closed when it suits their purposes. They don't contribute much at all to the Linux kernel if anything.

Personally I couldn't care less if Android dropped off the face of the earth. The only applications in which I think its of any use are when it's cleaned up and completely locked down, like in embedded applications or in devices like the Amazon Kindle Fire.

Just my opinion, but having a loosey goosey all over the place approach to OS and ecosystem is fine for something like a desktop computer which is more forgiving and simple, but it makes no sense in a purpose built device that needs to be reliable above all else, like a phone. Would you want your car running on Android with bloatware, and an OEM skin and 3 dozen different styles of interface for every application? That would be fun when you got a unexpected force close of your fuel injection system as you were trying to merge onto the highway? Would you flash an experimental ROM on your cars ECU before heading out on a long road trip with your kids in the car?

Risking instability and dealing with unreliability and poor performance might be an acceptable compromise for some people in exchange for being able to make their home screen look like the set of Battlestar Galactica, but for me it just seems like the stupidest idea ever.

I get no poor performance, you must have all had some pretty cheap android phones.... Never any freezes, slowdown, reboots, etc... I love my galaxy s2 skyrocket. Especially now with ics, it is a beast.

ftr I actually do like windows phone as well, checking back to see if windows phone 8 fixes the omissions that drove me away.

Unlike you guys I don't bash an os to make myself feel better.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Local Scout,
Hardware Camera button that wakes the phone,
Built in Facebook, Twitter, Live, LinkedIn,
Bing Audio search,
Word, Excel, Powerpoint,
Xbox Live,
Zune Pass...

I'm sure other posters can chime in if needed. Those things you mentioned are minor, minor omissions. Hardly deal breaking.

aside from the camera button waking the phone (which actually afaik you can set up on cm7 or cm9), zune pass (which sucks, if you don't pay for it for one month you lose all your music and end u with a ton of songs on your phone you cant even listen to), and xbox live (which again I hardly consider a feature. Also isn't there an xbox live app on android? lol)

the other things you can totally do on android depending on the model you have. HTC phones have all the social networking built in if that is your bag.

There are plenty of fantastic apps for word, excel and powerpoint too.

I really haven't seen one thing a windows phone can do solely....

Like I've said before, I'm os neutral. Aside from iPhone which bores me (and I hate itunes), I like both wp7 and android.

I just laugh at the disinformation on here. If wp8 fixes some omissions I would come back I'm sure. I half considered buying a used wp7 phone too so I could have both.

I just don't like the hostility on these boards to anything that isn't wp7, or to anyone who posts something they consider an issue. You guys get really angry about it

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I get no poor performance, you must have all had some pretty cheap android phones.... Never any freezes, slowdown, reboots, etc... I love my galaxy s2 skyrocket. Especially now with ics, it is a beast.

ftr I actually do like windows phone as well, checking back to see if windows phone 8 fixes the omissions that drove me away.

Unlike you guys I don't bash an os to make myself feel better.

Isn't defending the OS you're currently using trying to make yourself feel better? Oh, the irony.

Seriously though, if you browse the WP forums long enough, you know that people are fed up of having Android fanboys defending their OS and bashing WP. Don't be one of those people, we are tired.

This is a Windows Phone forum. If someone had a genuine poor experience with Android, just let it go, there's absolutely no reason why you must do what you're doing.

People get angry because they are fed up. Just let it go...

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
aside from the camera button waking the phone (which actually afaik you can set up on cm7 or cm9), zune pass (which sucks, if you don't pay for it for one month you lose all your music and end u with a ton of songs on your phone you cant even listen to), and xbox live (which again I hardly consider a feature. Also isn't there an xbox live app on android? lol)

the other things you can totally do on android depending on the model you have. HTC phones have all the social networking built in if that is your bag.

There are plenty of fantastic apps for word, excel and powerpoint too.

I really haven't seen one thing a windows phone can do solely....

Like I've said before, I'm os neutral. Aside from iPhone which bores me (and I hate itunes), I like both wp7 and android.

I just laugh at the disinformation on here. If wp8 fixes some omissions I would come back I'm sure. I half considered buying a used wp7 phone too so I could have both.

I just don't like the hostility on these boards to anything that isn't wp7, or to anyone who posts something they consider an issue. You guys get really angry about it

If you don't like the hostility and misinformation about anything not WP you are welcome to go somewhere else. Reason why people are doing that is because they're dissatisfied with their experience on android and are now on WP which is totally fine.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
If you don't like the hostility and misinformation about anything not WP you are welcome to go somewhere else. Reason why people are doing that is because they're dissatisfied with their experience on android and are now on WP which is totally fine.

I like wp7 but I also like android...

Though driving more people away is definitely a great way to help your fledgling os..

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I like wp7 but I also like android...

Though driving more people away is definitely a great way to help your fledgling os..

"Your fledgling OS".

That's the problem right there. That kind of talk isn't welcome here, it brings nothing but flames. It's not moving people away, it's moving trolls away from serious (to-be) Windows Phone users.

When you browse the WPCentral forums and defend Android from posts that talk bad about it, that just gives the impression that you're a ******. Saying that you like WP7 doesn't change that, people who have a Windows Phone don't go to Android forums in order to defend their phone, and if they do, then they are fanboys and I condemn them for doing that, just like I do with every other ******.

And that brings me to my point. You are one of the following people:

a) You're not happy with your experience and feel the need to change to another OS.
b) You're a ****** that feels the need to defend your OS of choice in the forums of other OS.

So, which is it?

Last edited:

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised he even has time to post here with all the time android sucks out of your life just to customize and have it running decent

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
some people just fail in life....

yep I'm a real failing electrical engineering..

I guarantee I'm pulling in a lot more than you are...

Like I've said, I like wp7 waiting on wp8 to see what changes there are. Just laugh at all the pointless and fake android talk on here.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
You guys are funny! Comparing vulnerable OS's is rather like comparing a regular postal box to being susceptible to junk mail or the rural mailboxes to kids out bashing them at night!

You got a box? You run the risk of suffering from either problem! Solution? Yeah a few: Toss the junk mail without reading it, shred it and use it in the bottom of the hamster cage, or for garden mulch. Protect the box from bashing by encasing it in concrete - or get a rubbermaid box (just about impervious to bashing but not uprooting). Or get a post office box!

Solutions pretty similar to installing spyware, malware and antivirus security. There are always going to be jerks out there testing the locks on your vehicles, houses and bikes - you keep those things secure don't you? And you do know that there are certain areas of town ( and the web) that are more prone to a predominance of jerks right?

Common sense folks, common sense use it!

I like getting junk mail that has those prepaid envelopes inside, and what I do is I take the junk mail one company sends me, I put that in another companies prepaid envelope and I mail them. I like to think that the person opening it looks through it and goes WTF!! Sometimes if I don't have enough junk to go round, I just get some coupons from the flyers I get and add them instead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)