I guess its a good time be owning a windows phone

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
lol

Android Mal ware capital of Mobile OS. :lol:

one of the reasons I like MS and WP , sure it has ALLOT of security BS that blocks a bunch of things , but at lease we dont get hack on a day to day basis.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
It's only a matter of time really, no security is impregnable.

Thing is that it's one area where a lower marketshare is useful; much like with Macs until the last few years; there's just not enough of them out there to make it worthwhile for hackers to bother putting the effort in.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
The funny part about this whole thing is that the average person associates malware and viruses with " Windows ", which makes them think Windows Phone is not secure. Many people are unaware of how different Windows Phone operates from Windows PC. Even customer service reps with no training have lied to customers assuming that. So most people don't know android is actually less secure and Windows Phone is a lot more secure than they assume

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It's only a matter of time really, no security is impregnable.

Thing is that it's one area where a lower marketshare is useful; much like with Macs until the last few years; there's just not enough of them out there to make it worthwhile for hackers to bother putting the effort in.

There's a little truth to that, but it's a bit of an overused pet excuse, particularly of Mac haters.

Mac OS X is inherently more secure than Windows XP because of it's UNIX structure. Even when you do see a Mac exploit, it is never remotely close to the severity of the rampant crap you'd see on Windows XP. The worst thing I ever heard of was the Java exploit, and Oracle was as much to blame for that as Apple was.

Now, Windows 7 is much more secure than XP was, so that gap has narrowed significantly. As long as you're not reckless and you use some kind of protection an average user can use Windows 7 and not wind up gummed up with malware.

It's true that there are much fewer exploits attempted on less popular systems, but passive (OS architecture and policy based) and active security measures are just as, if nor more important.

iOS is extremely popular, yet you virtually never hear about malware on the iPhone or iPad. It's definitely not due to a lack of popularity or people trying to exploit it. It's because of the "walled garden" that Android fans love to gripe about. By closing off key parts of the core OS and carefully curating the app store, Apple avoids this malware nonsense that plagues Android.

Windows Phone had a similar approach. Microsoft deliberately followed Apples model of keeping much of the core of the OS under lock and key, carefully controlling the app market and applying strict security policies. Like Apple and unlike Google, Microsoft prioritizes the quality of the end user experience over leaving things wide open for any developer, OEM, carrier or malware author to crap all over.

Windows Phone and iOS are NEVER going to have the type and number of security problems that Android does because of this.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Mac OS X is inherently more secure than Windows XP because of it's UNIX structure. Even when you do see a Mac exploit, it is never remotely close to the severity of the rampant crap you'd see on Windows XP. The worst thing I ever heard of was the Java exploit, and Oracle was as much to blame for that as Apple was.
I disagree with this. Just because it's UNIX based doesn't mean it's more secure. There's a reason that Macs are often the first to crack in hacking contests. You're right that XP is less secure than Windows 7, but that's not the whole story. Apple has a pretty lax attitude about security, and they promote that attitude among their users.

That Java exploit that you speak of affected every platform including Windows and Linux. But it only really spread among Macs because Apple chose not to release the fix until 45 days after the other platforms. And as a percentage of users infected it was huge (about 1%), more than Blaster or even Conficker.

And really, if you're gonna let Apple off the hook because it was a Java exploit, then you should let MS off the hook for all the numerous exploits based on Flash, Java, Acrobat, etc. that have infected Windows over the years.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the WP7 SMS hack was ever fixed? That's the most hilarious, slightly apocalyptic bug I've ever heard of--someone texts you a string of digits, and it breaks your phone so badly you have to hard reset.

Every ecosystem has malware and security exploits.
As for OS X, I'm not actually sure it's more secure because of it's Unix underpinnings. Too many people are logged in as root when they shouldn't be.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the WP7 SMS hack was ever fixed? That's the most hilarious, slightly apocalyptic bug I've ever heard of--someone texts you a string of digits, and it breaks your phone so badly you have to hard reset.

As for OS X, I'm not actually sure it's more secure because of it's Unix underpinnings. Too many people are logged in as root when they shouldn't be.

It's fixed with Tango

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Except no one knows the exact combination of letters and numbers to cause it. That's only one thing compared to the thousands that Android has. Troll harder.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
There's a little truth to that, but it's a bit of an overused pet excuse, particularly of Mac haters.

Now, Windows 7 is much more secure than XP was, so that gap has narrowed significantly. As long as you're not reckless and you use some kind of protection an average user can use Windows 7 and not wind up gummed up with malware.

That's not exactly the case.

Is Windows 7 More Secure than Mac OS X? - ASP Free

Security Expert: Windows 7 Is More Secure Than Mac OS X

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
yep if you download apps from non legit places you can get malware on android, but this is also true of a jailbroken iphone...

you guys are pretty sad you know.

No one would bother writing malware for wp7 because even bada has a larger customer base LOL

Well what's sad is android can't even trust their " OFFICIAL " app market. If they can't even trust their official app market, then what can you trust?

At least with Windows Phone, Microsoft checks all apps for viruses and malware before they are published. We can trust our marketplace more than an android user can trust theirs. Your suppose to be able to trust that your downloading legit software from an official market. Just like how you can download anything from Xbox Live with confidence knowing nothing is going to happen to your Xbox

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Well what's sad is android can't even trust their " OFFICIAL " app market. If they can't even trust their official app market, then what can you trust?

At least with Windows Phone, Microsoft checks all apps for viruses and malware before they are published. We can trust our marketplace more than an android user can trust theirs. Your suppose to be able to trust that your downloading legit software from an official market. Just like how you can download anything from Xbox Live with confidence knowing nothing is going to happen to your Xbox

the ten apps you guys have are trustworthy?? lol

this is blown wayyy out of proportion. there has been malware found on the ios ap store as well.

It is a fact of being a major os.

I guess when you're small potatoes it isn't a concern lol

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
It must really bother if you feel the need to post here

No matter what you say, if it was just people getting infected by apps coming from outside sources other than the official marketplace, then it wouldn't be a big deal cause you brought that upon yourself. But when the official marketplace is getting infected with malware and google is doing nothing, just letting it run wild, that's a problem

I feel good knowing at least Microsoft takes it seriously and they do the best they can to keep all that out of the marketplace before it can even reach my device. Unlike google that only wants to take action when your device is already infected. You can down play it all you want but even you don't know what is going on with your phone right now. Everything is always all good until it effects you. So laugh now cause you'll be crying later

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey djdtox, that's just another good reason to own a WP right now. Sounds like you are talking yourself into one. The beta test is over.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

gregoron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
yep if you download apps from non legit places you can get malware on android, but this is also true of a jailbroken iphone...

you guys are pretty sad you know.

No one would bother writing malware for wp7 because even bada has a larger customer base LOL

No, it's not a matter of less market share. It's about more security. Android is more prone to malware because it has more holes to get into and nobody's doing the plugging.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
It must really bother if you feel the need to post here

No matter what you say, if it was just people getting infected by apps coming from outside sources other than the official marketplace, then it wouldn't be a big deal cause you brought that upon yourself. But when the official marketplace is getting infected with malware and google is doing nothing, just letting it run wild, that's a problem

I feel good knowing at least Microsoft takes it seriously and they do the best they can to keep all that out of the marketplace before it can even reach my device. Unlike google that only wants to take action when your device is already infected. You can down play it all you want but even you don't know what is going on with your phone right now. Everything is always all good until it effects you. So laugh now cause you'll be crying later

you ignored my pont that malware has als been found in the ios appstore... no os is 110% secure, sorry to burst your bubble.

To the person who said the beta test was over, why is your os still basically a beta then wiith all its missing features lol?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
To the person who said the beta test was over, why is your os still basically a beta then wiith all its missing features lol?
Why do you type like you're IMing your fellow teen friend?

I never knew that it was necessary to have every feature imaginable on the face of the earth in order to be considered as released. There are plenty of features and options that are readily available on Windows Phone that Android doesn't have. Your logic is beyond abominable.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Why do you type like you're IMing your fellow teen friend?

I never knew that it was necessary to have every feature imaginable on the face of the earth in order to be considered as released. There are plenty of features and options that are readily available on Windows Phone that Android doesn't have. Your logic is beyond abominable.

Oh really? Name one....

Sorry but being able to change the volume seperately and hve a browser forward button are fairly large omissions.

Yes, fellow teen friend.. More like a 29 year old electrical engineer. Wow, I said "lol"... Nice personal attack though, beats attacking my argument eh?

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Oh really? Name one....

Sorry but being able to change the volume seperately and hve a browser forward button are fairly large omissions.

Yes, fellow teen friend.. More like a 29 year old electrical engineer. Wow, I said "lol"... Nice personal attack though, beats attacking my argument eh?

Local Scout,
Hardware Camera button that wakes the phone,
Built in Facebook, Twitter, Live, LinkedIn,
Bing Audio search,
Word, Excel, Powerpoint,
Xbox Live,
Zune Pass...

I'm sure other posters can chime in if needed. Those things you mentioned are minor, minor omissions. Hardly deal breaking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb