I guess its a good time be owning a windows phone

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
yep I'm a real failing electrical engineering..

I guarantee I'm pulling in a lot more than you are...

Like I've said, I like wp7 waiting on wp8 to see what changes there are. Just laugh at all the pointless and fake android talk on here.

You still haven't answered me. What are you? A) or B)?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
What does this pointless back and forth about whether Android is good or bad have to do with this thread topic? What someone is or isn't has nothing to do with what platform has less malware.

Android is a more open platform and is therefore less protected from Malware. Its that way by design there can be no argument on this its a fact.

Every application in the WP Marketplace is tested and approved before gaining the privilege of entering the market. This is how it is done on WP. This applications process keeps malicious offerings out. Windows Phone OS is also designed with inherent protections to keep malware from spreading. Just Bing "Windows Phone Sandbox" and start reading.

This evidence is there that Android is under attack the malware is spreading. Windows Phone is not and is the safer platform at this time.

In this light, I would say, it is a good time to have a Windows Phone

Jeff Kibuule

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
There's a little truth to that, but it's a bit of an overused pet excuse, particularly of Mac haters.

Mac OS X is inherently more secure than Windows XP because of it's UNIX structure. Even when you do see a Mac exploit, it is never remotely close to the severity of the rampant crap you'd see on Windows XP. The worst thing I ever heard of was the Java exploit, and Oracle was as much to blame for that as Apple was.

Now, Windows 7 is much more secure than XP was, so that gap has narrowed significantly. As long as you're not reckless and you use some kind of protection an average user can use Windows 7 and not wind up gummed up with malware.

It's true that there are much fewer exploits attempted on less popular systems, but passive (OS architecture and policy based) and active security measures are just as, if nor more important.

iOS is extremely popular, yet you virtually never hear about malware on the iPhone or iPad. It's definitely not due to a lack of popularity or people trying to exploit it. It's because of the "walled garden" that Android fans love to gripe about. By closing off key parts of the core OS and carefully curating the app store, Apple avoids this malware nonsense that plagues Android.

Windows Phone had a similar approach. Microsoft deliberately followed Apples model of keeping much of the core of the OS under lock and key, carefully controlling the app market and applying strict security policies. Like Apple and unlike Google, Microsoft prioritizes the quality of the end user experience over leaving things wide open for any developer, OEM, carrier or malware author to crap all over.

Windows Phone and iOS are NEVER going to have the type and number of security problems that Android does because of this.

There are plenty of exploits for iOS. What do you think jailbreaks are? The issue is packaging them up with a payload that a normal user would do, and those are indeed rare. However, exploits these days are rarely in the OS, but 3rd party libraries that the OS ships with or depends on. I remember famously that you could jailbreak an iPhone by simply visiting a website because of a bug in the TIFF encoder.

Then there's the recent Flashback malware attack that exploited Java.

The root cause is less and less about the OS and more and more about 3rd party plugins/libraries that don't go through the same rigorous security hardening that OS vendors put their own code through.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Such a small thing as adding a phonenumber from a recieved text to an existing contact. ! I couldn't do that on BB, iOS or Android.

Superior power management - almost on par with the BB9700 despite twice the screen and processor speed.

In fact the only thing I really miss from time to time is the option to do a screenshot. Other than that, WP is the most well balanced smartphone OS I have ever used.

In fact. If I should rate them based on my personal experience it would be

1. Windows Phone
2. BlackBerry OS
3. iOS
4. Android
5. Symbian

That is based on functionality, what actually gets You through the day. It is not about what You can make it do, it is about what it just does.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
What does this pointless back and forth about whether Android is good or bad have to do with this thread topic? What someone is or isn't has nothing to do with what platform has less malware.

Android is a more open platform and is therefore less protected from Malware. Its that way by design there can be no argument on this its a fact.

Every application in the WP Marketplace is tested and approved before gaining the privilege of entering the market. This is how it is done on WP. This applications process keeps malicious offerings out. Windows Phone OS is also designed with inherent protections to keep malware from spreading. Just Bing "Windows Phone Sandbox" and start reading.

This evidence is there that Android is under attack the malware is spreading. Windows Phone is not and is the safer platform at this time.

In this light, I would say, it is a good time to have a Windows Phone

99.9% of this is from sideloading apps, which you can also do on wp7...

I wager when (more like if) wp7 gets larger you will also see malware from sideloading applications.

No one is interested in writing malware for it yet

Such a small thing as adding a phonenumber from a recieved text to an existing contact. ! I couldn't do that on BB, iOS or Android.

Um, this has been a function since android 1.5 or 1.6, you just touch the number lol.

I don't get the battery life praise either, I find my current phone lasts longer than my optimus 7 or quantum did, and has a much powerful processor, bigger screen and better gpu.

Maybe gen2 phones are way better on battery or something?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
99.9% of this is from sideloading apps, which you can also do on wp7...

I wager when (more like if) wp7 gets larger you will also see malware from sideloading applications.

No one is interested in writing malware for it yet

If you have any current relevant information to share please do. We can review the futer events if they happen. Please make relevant meaningful posts.

All off topic rants will be deleted from this thread so please stay on topic or your posts will be removed.

hardcoreplur

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
the thread degraded in to this.
duty_calls.png

/thread

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Windows jumped past OSX on the security front actually with Vista - that was when they reengineered the kernel and all of the underlying OS into a sandboxed model. 7 improved on that model and right now a Windows 7 system is difficult to get infected unless the user actively permits it by providing the admin credentials when asked for.

Now that does not mean that OSX and iOS are insecure. They are both pretty decent security wise. The weak boy on the block has been Android in security terms and that has been because of the open source nature - exploits are easier to design when you have source code access. With that said, Gingerbread is more secure than Eclair was and ICS is again more secure - it is happening because Google and the OEMs want in on the enterprise market that is looking to get away from RIM.

iOS is in the security ballpark but their approach to that security seriously hampers the usability of the device in a business setting. Android has the usability but the security isn't there. Here is the Windows 8 opportunity - deliver both usability and security and they become the successor to RIM.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
the ten apps you guys have are trustworthy?? lol

this is blown wayyy out of proportion. there has been malware found on the ios ap store as well.

It is a fact of being a major os.

I guess when you're small potatoes it isn't a concern lol

Sorry trolloller. 10?? doesn't equal 85,000+.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa