Is a windows phone for me?

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how transferring the Xbox Live stuff works, or if it's even possible. You'd have to check with Microsoft on that one I think.

Like I said though, you don't need to deal with hotmail. I don't even have the hotmail tile on my home screen.

You can transfer your Xbox Live account to a new windows live ID, I've done it myself. I now host my email for my own domain on hotmail (using Windows Live Admin Center - https://domains.live.com) and switched my Live account to that.

I used to be an avid Google user and had my email hosted on Google Apps, but after trying out hosting my email on hotmail I love how well it integrates into the Live services and WP7 so I switched everything over. I do have the Google search app installed and the tile located right next to the IE tile though, Bing returns poor results IMHO.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
he just needs to be banned. Ignore does nothing when someone quotes them, also ignore is so many options away compared to a mod just clicking their name and selecting ban.

sorry you guys hate to hear any sensical argument that doesn't fit into your paradigm of thought.

You are bashing google for selling info, yet I guarantee you all have facebook accounts (or the majority of you).

Just gave me a chuckle is all.

Ftr, android owner or not, gmail is awesome.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
sorry you guys hate to hear any sensical argument that doesn't fit into your paradigm of thought.

You are bashing google for selling info, yet I guarantee you all have facebook accounts (or the majority of you).

Is it sensical to generalize everyone in this forum when only one user (with 3 posts) said that?

@Skyandsun: Anyway, Gmail is a good alternative to Hotmail, and you can still use it on Windows Phone, but you do end up missing out the full integration Hotmail has with other Live services in Windows Phone (such as Skydrive).

If you don't mind making the switch, I recommend it, Hotmail has improved a lot in the recent years, and if you're going to use Windows 8 and Windows Phone in the future, it's a logical step.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

Good point. Yes, I do have a Facebook account, and I don't tell anyone; what I had for lunch, what music I listened to, what books I read, where I was today, or anything else for that matter. Tales a lot of work to keep my privacy settings up to date, but worth it. Regarding Google, I have been computing since 1982, been using PCs as part of my employment since about 1990, and have never ever had Google anything loaded on any machine I have owned or used. Interesting that people always come to me first when they want something researched. Google knows very little about me, just the way I like it. And just the way I plan to keep it.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
It's not so much that I'm dependent on Google - it's that I actively avoid Microsoft. But from what I'm reading here, I can still customise my experience and avoid things like Hotmail without too much trouble...

Thanks for all your continued replies by the way, it's very helpful.
Funny. I avoid all things Google due to privacy concerns. Did you know they scan all of your emails so they can sell better advertising? I just think that's immoral. They need to mind their own business and look elsewhere for revenue.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
yet of all of you saying this own facebok accounts and talk about how good facebook integration is with wp7 loll

oh the irony
As it so happens, smartypants, I don't use Facebook for the very same reason. No irony here, just you diverting from the fact that Google invades people's privacy.

Skyandsun

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Thought you might be interested in an update. I've decided to go for the cyan lumia 800 (the 900 isn't widespread here in the UK and I have read the 800 is the nicer model - slimmer, smaller etc). I will get used to windows OS, I'm sure. Got it from O2 for ?18.50 pm with 200 minutes, 250 o2 to o2 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited landline calls + free weekend calls, and 100mb data (don't use it that much outside of wifi zones). Also get some Nokia monster headphones which will probably go straight on ebay for ?150 :p To me this seemed like a pretty decent deal.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. I liked the idea of being a bit different from android and ios, and I really love the design and look of the nokia phone.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Have fun with your new 800 Skyandsun, it's a much more rounded and sleek n curvy phone compared to the 900.

Just be careful with your data, you will use 100mb up in 2 seconds. Wouldn't wan't you being stung with a huge bill.

Let us know your thoughts after you play around with the phone and OS. :)

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

and if you go to Crackberry, they bash the competition

and if you go to AndroidCentral, they bash the competition

And if you go to iMore, there are no f***s given because they don't care

We have no problems hearing anything sensical. It's only a problem when someone is being patronizing and repetitive to try and get reactions out the forum, i.e. a TROLL. So please chortle somewhere else

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't go that far. I owned three Android phones and three Windows Phones, and I'd say the Android isn't THAT much better with Google services integration. Google Docs is really the only thing that continues to be lacking on WP. I really don't have a big issue with Gmail on WP, except the lack of muting and inability to send as authenticated accounts. The free turn by turn point is moot with Nokia Drive.

As for search, I almost feel like Bing is pushed on me because I am a big fan of using built in search hardware buttons. It would be great to be able to choose the search service, but I don't expect it nor do I blame MSFT for not implementing it. After all, Android doesn't let you customize what the search button behavior is either. If you really need Google, the app should work great for you.

Why do you need Google Docs when you have Office? I never understood that

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, glad to hear you picked one up, it should work out fine. If you can end up linking your Gmail address to your Xbox live account it should work out great for you.

Plus you can select what syncs from what accounts, so you can sync your Gmail, plus the contacts and calendars from it. Couple with a bookmark to Google's homepage if you like (can pin it to the Start menu and it will look great) and you should be all set.

As others have mentioned, Bing is pretty tightly integrated into the phone. Being in the UK it may not be as useful, I know some of the capabilities are dialed back depending on region. I use it pretty much exclusively on my phone, and it's my default search on the computer now as well. Of course here we get the Local search option, Bing audio and vision search and they all work pretty well.

The integrated Office works nicely too, plus the web-based Office on your regular computer is free to use and will sync to Skydrive as well. Works quite nicely.

Xbox integration is pretty basic, but you get more gamer points (which I don't really care about so :p).

Not sure what kind of limitations Zune Pass has over there but it works nice here (especially coupled with Bing audio search, it's like built-in Soundhound).

Good luck :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss