Is a windows phone for me?

Skyandsun

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I really like the minimalism design of the Windows Phone OS, and am seriously considering buying a Nokia Lumia 800.

However, my main email account is a google account. I have a hotmail/windows live email but I don't really use it and don't particularly want to start using it - I have enough accounts and emails already. So my question is, how hard is Windows Live pushed on the Nokia Lumia - is it something I really need to start using if I am to get the best out of the phone? Or can I use the phone happily without logging in to Windows live etc.

I guess I could create a new Windows Live account for the app store and so on, but it wouldn't be linked to anything else like hotmail etc, so maybe that defeats the point.

My other concern is Bing being forced on me as a default search engine - again I am perfectly happy with google. However I may be able to get past this, as long as I am not forced into Windows live.

Thanks...

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Have you used hotmail recently? the MS hotmail team has been making vast improvements regularly. Also as far as bing, your not really forced to use Bing, it's built in but no one is stopping you from going to google.com on the browser. Even google has a so called " app " if that's what they want to call it, that is pretty much a portal to their google mobile site

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Not a problem at all. I was in a similar situation. In fact, I only created the hotmail account so I could get the free 25 GB Skydrive cloud storage and use the free Office Web apps (which by the way is vastly superior to Google Docs)

I don't use my hotmail account AT ALL. My hotmail inbox is basically just a receptacle for Marketplace app store receipts LOL.

As far as Windows Live and hotmail being pushed on you, it isn't, don't worry. All you really need the email for is access to the Marketplace so you can buy apps. That's it. But I do recommend taking advantage of Skydrive and the free Office Web apps. Skydrive is seamlessly integrated with your phone, so that's very handy. I have Word and Excel docs I keep in the Skydrive, and they pop up instantly on my phone as if they were stored locally, I make changes to them at either end and everything syncs up beautifully without me lifting a finger. Personally I think it's more useful cloud service than either Google Drive or iCloud and the storage is much more generous for less money (in fact if you hurry you might still be able to get grandfathered in for the FREE 25 GB Skydrive like I did... I actually have two of them!)

As far as Bing goes, it's not that bad. Google is better for most things though. But I prefer Bing's image search and it's local search.

There is a Google app for Windows Phone though that acts just like a browser and it's really nice. All you need to do is install that and you'll have a nice Google tile right on your phone.

The only thing you can't do for right now is re-map the search button to something other than Bing. It's not a big deal though, and after a while you see it kind of makes sense since Bing services are designed to work with the phone. You might find, like I did, that you like Bing more than you thought you would. :cool:

Skyandsun

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I do use hotmail but as a kind of 'spam' account - so whenever I'm signing up for something that may spam me, I use my hotmail address. My 'serious' account is my gmail one.

I thought that perhaps I could create a new windows live id using my gmail email as my sign-in. And I could transfer my xbox live stuff to that id. Maybe that's a way around it...

I guess that's why this is a bit of an issue for me, as I imagine stuff like xbox live is integrated into the phone somehow (and possibly Microsoft points and all that). I'd like to keep my purchases linked to one account, really. But I don't really want a new hotmail email address.

So using my gmail account as my windows live id, and linking everything through there, might be a way forward...

My problem with microsoft basically stems from my experience on the Xbox. The endless microtransactions, having to pay for multiplayer (xbox gold), and the final straw - MS 'points', where you have to pay more than the actual cost of the item to buy it as points come in batches, which I find kind of immoral.

So I'm conflicted. I love the design of the Lumia and the look of the UI more than any Android phone I've seen. I'm just wondering how much Microsoft stuff is forced on me (eg. no way to change from Bing to Google), and whether I can tolerate that :p

Last edited:

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Same situation, no problem at all. I would suggest setting up your Google account as an Exchange (Outlook) account rather than IMAP, I just find it more reliable in terms of syncing.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I do use hotmail but as a kind of 'spam' account - so whenever I'm signing up for something that may spam me, I use my hotmail address. My 'serious' account is my gmail one.

I thought that perhaps I could create a new windows live id using my gmail email as my sign-in. And I could transfer my xbox live stuff to that id. Maybe that's a way around it...

I'm not sure how transferring the Xbox Live stuff works, or if it's even possible. You'd have to check with Microsoft on that one I think.

Like I said though, you don't need to deal with hotmail. I don't even have the hotmail tile on my home screen.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Yea pretty much what socialcarpet said

But honestly, if your that dependent on google services then android would probably be better for you

Skyandsun

May 22, 2012
Visit site
It's not so much that I'm dependent on Google - it's that I actively avoid Microsoft. But from what I'm reading here, I can still customise my experience and avoid things like Hotmail without too much trouble...

Thanks for all your continued replies by the way, it's very helpful.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
But honestly, if your that dependent on google services then android would probably be better for you

I wouldn't go that far. I owned three Android phones and three Windows Phones, and I'd say the Android isn't THAT much better with Google services integration. Google Docs is really the only thing that continues to be lacking on WP. I really don't have a big issue with Gmail on WP, except the lack of muting and inability to send as authenticated accounts. The free turn by turn point is moot with Nokia Drive.

As for search, I almost feel like Bing is pushed on me because I am a big fan of using built in search hardware buttons. It would be great to be able to choose the search service, but I don't expect it nor do I blame MSFT for not implementing it. After all, Android doesn't let you customize what the search button behavior is either. If you really need Google, the app should work great for you.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Hotmail, specifically isn't pushed hard. You do need a Live ID to use SkyDrive (cloud storage/syncing), though that is by no means an essential feature for many people.

You also need a Live ID to download apps but that's just a one time thing. XBOX Live is a neat feature; but, you don't need it to play games.

I think the only Microsoft product that is really pushed is Bing. The search Button goes to Bing and search in the browser address bar uses Bing. I've homepaged Google, though, and bookmarked it as well so I don't have to deal with Bing too often.

I hate Bing. There's a lot of websites I use which frequently don't show up on top of a search (but do for Google.) I've been able to largely avoid it, though, so I don't think it'll be an issue for you.

(ETA: Actually, MS pushes IE Mobile as well. It's the only browser you can use. I don't think much of it because it is actually quite stable and smooth; but, you should try it out first if you've grown accustomed to Opera and do a lot of web browsing.

Wouldn't worry about IE if you use the stock Android browser. The GUI on that is horrible and, if you endured that, you could basically endure anything.)

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Hotmail lately is actually leaps and bounds better than Gmail,in terms of features,privacy and reliability. Switching wouldn't be so much of an issue, Bing and google are also equal in search there was a blind search featured here awhile back that proved that. All this being said make sure the live account is the first thing you add when buying a windows phone.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I, too, use GMail as my preferred personal email account. I've had a Hotmail account, but didn't really want it associted with anything on my WP device (since it's mainly used as a spam account). I created a new Live ID with my GMail email address as the username. I'm not sure if they still allow this, but it's a cool feature because any email communication (app purchase receipts, etc.) get sent to your GMail account and you don't have to check email on Hotmail.

On the phone (this sounds tricky, but it's really simple), you set up your Live account (with the GMail username) and disable Email, Contacts and Calendar sync. This way, the account is only used to browse the Marketplace. Then, you set up your Gmail account for checking email, contacts, and calendar. So, you'll have two accounts with similar usernames, except one is set up as a Live account and the other as a Gmail account.

As far as the default search engine is concerned, as others have pointed out, it's not possible to change this. You'll either have to use the google webpage, or, just get used to the Bing search engine. Hope this helps!

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
if you like simple stuff like a forward button in your browser and seperate volume control (i.e.- ringer and headphones) then don't do it...

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Why would you use google anyway? Giving away all of your information and privacy? not worth it. Live and Bing don't make money off your information.

yet of all of you saying this own facebok accounts and talk about how good facebook integration is with wp7 loll

oh the irony

gregoron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
My main email, contact, calendar accounts are with Google. I use WP. I have a Hotmail account for syncing purposes only. I use Outlook at work and I link my calendar with Google by inviting my Gmail address. It will work for you. I like Google search, but I find myself using Bing more for local searches. It will change your perception of Windows.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My advice?

While you do not specify what carrier you are on, I am sure all have the "return policy" where if you sign the contract and take a device home and dislike it, you may return it for an exchange of a different device. All the great points above will give you a starting place as to how to set up your new phone. Give the Lumina a shot, just be sure to bring it home when you have a couple of days to truly live with it and set it up in several different ways to try and meet your needs. Give it a week of heavy usage, and decide then. There have been a few users who have not liked WP, but overall once they are on it, they like it a ton. If it does not meet your needs, kick it back to your carrier and grab a comparable Android.

I actually love Hotmail, and do not miss Google for an internet search. It and Bing are so close in performance these days, it is really just preference. I have only scratched the surface in cloud storage, and LOVE the Office capabilities.

Good luck, skyandsun. Please comment back and let us know what you decide. I hope you give the Nokia a shot. Microsoft is really turning into a different company in the last 3 years. They are big in user satisfaction and real life intergration. I highly recomend the Windows Phone experience.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It's not so much that I'm dependent on Google - it's that I actively avoid Microsoft. But from what I'm reading here, I can still customise my experience and avoid things like Hotmail without too much trouble...

Thanks for all your continued replies by the way, it's very helpful.

I felt the same way about avoiding Microsoft for years as a life long Mac user. However I've come around to being more open minded since Windows 7 came out. It was the first Microsoft product I really liked. I still use a Mac primarily, but I try to be as "platform agnostic" as I can these days and stay open to new things.

As far as Google services, I find that Gmail works great on Windows Phone and my Google calendar syncs with the phone calendar just fine.

My experience has been that the free Office web apps are much more powerful, responsive and useful than Google Docs too. Like I said, I really recommend giving them a try along with Skydrive. You've got nothing to lose. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05