Changing the name...

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Many people on the forums here have previously said that "windows phone" isn't an appropriate name for our platform, as most people don't make the connection of good, or cool when hearing windows. But as others have suggested a name such as the "Xphone" or something of the like would be much better as Xbox is a very well receipted platform/brand. Just today (these are ignorant high schoolers just like myself so keep in mind) I walked up to my friends and they say "Ohhh you've got a WINDOWS phone, those are sooo bad" But later when actually using them they drool over them. Microsoft really needs to change the name and advertise the OS. Any suggestions in the comments! :D

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Idk. Even I can't think of anything better. Probably something as simple as Metro OS would be better. After all it is metro

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
What they should have done is have nokia be the exclusive hardware maker, called the phones the Nokia Lumia 900, 800, 700, and kept the microsoft/windows name as discreet as possible. Better hardware, better firmware/software update paths, etc. Maybe simply call the OS "metro." Nokia Lumia 900, powered by Metro.

Anyone who says the MS/windows connection isn't hurting the sales of this phone are just kidding themselves. Obviously there are other factors, but this is a big one.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I originally liked the name LiveOS, but I believe that MS is deprecating the Live brand. Such a shame.

But Metro isn't bad. As long as they don't do something like calling it "Windows Metro Phone 8 Series." :p

jege41

May 19, 2012
Visit site
What isn't cool is cool
Many people on the forums here have previously said that "windows phone" isn't an appropriate name for our platform, as most people don't make the connection of good, or cool when hearing windows. But as others have suggested a name such as the "Xphone" or something of the like would be much better as Xbox is a very well receipted platform/brand. Just today (these are ignorant high schoolers just like myself so keep in mind) I walked up to my friends and they say "Ohhh you've got a WINDOWS phone, those are sooo bad" But later when actually using them they drool over them. Microsoft really needs to change the name and advertise the OS. Any suggestions in the comments! :D

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I realized that a name tends to grow on you if you say it or see it enough. Honestly, android isn't that attractive as a name either but if it's all they see and hear about, It grows on you. Sort of like the Xbox brand at first. The Xbox name wasn't really attractive, now it's a power brand. So at the end, the name doesn't really matter cause through time it grows on you the more you say it and see it

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I doubt they would name the phone Xbox phone or anything like that because look how well the Xperia Play "the PlayStation phone" did. WP7 probably sold more phones on Day1 in 2010 than the Xperia Play has ever sold in its life time. Also Microsoft needs to recapture the enterprise market and having the name Xbox phone would give the impression it is a toy and not a real or serious phone.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
METRO! I love how "powered by metro" sounds! Not metro OS, not metro phone, just metro! XD

I also think that was a good name.

Still, I understand Microsoft. Windows is an enormous brand name, and in the near future, Windows in tablets, desktops and phones is going to be the same. So, Windows Phone 8 isn't the best name, but I think that it's the proper name.

What Microsoft needs to do, and is clearly achieving, is to clear up the bad conotation that the name Windows got over the years with bad products like Windows ME and Windows Mobile. It's hard to clear up the Windows brand, but it's better than abandoning it.

The Windows brand is just getting stronger and stronger due to great products like Windows 7 and Windows Phone 7. At this point, I think naming it Windows Phone was the right decision.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99