proof the Nokia/AT&T advertising push is working?

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I was at my kids' middle school this morning. I had gone upstairs to the 8th grade hallway right before the start of class class to talk to my child. I had my cyan Lumia 900 in my hand. As I was waiting outside his door two students walked past. One of them gestures at my phone. "That's that new AT&T phone! I'm going to buy one of those."

Considering how fickle kids at that age are and how they always want the "cool" gadgets, I think that means we are starting to see some real positive effect. Now let's just hope they can keep it going.

axispraxis

May 4, 2012
Visit site
always a good sign when we we are casually using our devices, and then someone takes notice and makes a good comment. :) not only is the advertising working very well, but the word of mouth of how good the hardware/software is working is priceless :cool:

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Really, Speedtouch? Since its launch, I've seen about 7-8. Every single one has been the OG Focus lol. No Lumia 900s yet. Oh, but once I could've swore this girl has a L800, and this was before you could purchase them here in America. I'm not 100% it was one, but the camera bezel looked like it.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Yep, really. You'd think being in a major US city I'd see them every now and then. But I haven't, and on top of that all of the attendees of the STL WP7 Meetup have not seen any WP7 devices in the wild. Crazy! I know, because I ask them at every meetup.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I got a son a OG Titan last time they were for sale for $.01 he told me 3 of his friends went out and got Titans this week. He also says that there are a lot of L900 in his High School. That's the group Microsoft needs to win the younger future consumers.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I was at my cousin's birthday party and we all pulled out our phones when it came time for the birthday girl to blow out the candles. Before we started to sing, she noticed my Cyan 900 and asked if that's the non-beta phone? Everyone looks at my phone and started asking me questions and a few claimed that they wanted to get the phone, but are still under contract and would switch to ATT as soon as they're out.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Yea one of my little cousins who's only about 13 noticed my phone. He said, " Is that the new 900 with windows? ". He didn't really know the name but he knew what it was. It's good to see that people are starting to be aware of Windows Phone. I said it before, they just have to keep pushing it, keep making commercials. It doesn't matter if they are good or not. As long as people keep seeing it they will know what it is

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Yep, really. You'd think being in a major US city I'd see them every now and then. But I haven't, and on top of that all of the attendees of the STL WP7 Meetup have not seen any WP7 devices in the wild. Crazy! I know, because I ask them at every meetup.

Wait! maybe you have! most of them just look like android phones cause we all know OEM's weren't exactly being original. Lol

Anyway, jokes aside, I haven't seen any Windows Phone in the wild either. Maybe I'll see a Lumia 900 which is easier to tell apart from the rest

havox22

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I seen two radars at school, my mom and my friend have WPs...nobody has asked me about my 900, i had somebody ask how I like my arrive and windows phone about a year ago tho

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I've never, ever seen another windows phone in the wild except my own. Switzerland is deep, deep apple territory, though. I've read somewhere that Switzerland has one of the highest iOS user ratio worldwide.

My Lumia 800 gets recognized, though. Just today at work, a colleague walked past my desk, when she suddenly stopped, staring at my new Lumia. "That's the new Nokia Lumia", she said. I nodded. "Awesome", she said then. I have shy hopes she gets one once she decide to get a smartphone. She's one of those persons who hates having something that everybody else has.

Yesterday, I showed my new phone to another friend, and she asked: "Why didn't you get an iPhone?" "Why should I? I can do everything I want with this phone. I evaluated properly and the outcome was the Lumia." (the iPhone was, according to my evaulation, second place, but I just can't bring myself to get someting with an apple on it.)

She was quiet for a while. Later in the evening, we got into a discussion about how women tend to just follow the lemmings, decide for whatever is presented to her or what people around her (or partners) are buying That's how she has always decided for jobs, but has found out that this lead her into the wrong track .. she's beginning to understand that active, well-thought-about choice is better for her.
When she was telling that, I thought that I had done the same thing on a smaller scale by choosing my HTC wildfire last year. Some colleagues had it and I thought therefore it couldn't be bad.
I told my friend about this, and she slowly nodded, seeing the similarity.

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I have seen 1 focus in the wild and a couple of weeks ago a guy sitting next to me on the subway had a 710. When I was still in high school, a friend of mine found a focus in a desk. People have been noticing my Lumia 900 in school. If we are doing group work and I pull out my phone they would say "Hey thats the phone from the smartphone beta test commercials" and everybody who I have ever let hold the phone loves the way it feels.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Went to a customer site last week and saw two cyan 900s, and I've seen a few on the subway here as well (saw a magenta cover on what appeared to be a white L900 yesterday, which was pretty cool looking as well). Prior to this, I only ever saw the v1 Focus, and really only ever with MS employees.

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have seen a bunch. It actually made me smile when I see posted from Windows Phone on my Facebook Feed when I got my HD7 in late 2010. I have seen a lot of the Original Focus, The surround, the Titan, and Lumias are everywhere. I live and work in the Bellevue, WA Metro Area (near redmond) so it is microsoftland,

If you live or work in the Seattle area and have not seen a windowsphone, my guess you live just east of NorthBend in a cave. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans