Should I leave Android

erjennin

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I've seen several articles discussing the pros and cons of WP7 vs Android and I'm on the boarder of switching. Here's my reason why:

1. I hate all the custom OE skins on Android. Not one is good. I currently have Verizon and GNex is plagued with problems, so for now, even with dev support, I am not satisfied.
2. Battery life, with exception of the Razr Maxx, is not good.
3. Unless I own a Nexus, software updates take forever, are carrier controlled, and usually introduce a whole mess of bloatware.
4. Bloatware! At least the crappy AT&T apps are uninstallable on WP7.

Here's What I'm afraid I'll miss:
1. free wifi tethering. I rooted previous android phones to take advantage of this. Can it be done on WP7?
2. Key apps. Most of them are there, but a few that I use a lot (WordsWithFriends, Instagram) are missing. I know there are similar apps, but I have friends on each app that I want to continue to play against or share photos with. 3
3. Here's the biggest one. Will the Lumia 900 be upgradeable to Windows 8? I don't want a phone that will be obsolete in a few months.
4. Google integration. I've bought into the Google platform big time with Android. How does Windows do with this?

Are there any former hardcore Android users that made the switch? How was it?

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes. :p

Serious answer:

1. No.
2. WordsWithFriends and Instagram are not likely to come to WP any time soon, imho.
3. No one knows for sure.
4. This was rough for me for a long time, but I've come to accept it as not a big deal. There are a few good 3rd party apps that allow you to access your stuff on Google, but none of them are as tight as the integration they give to Android and even iOS. The Live platform is getting better, but has a long way to go.

patch321

May 19, 2012
Visit site
i have recently switched from android and am loving windows phone! I love my phone but somehow spend less time on it, freeing me up to do other things throughout the day.

1. i am with you on OEM skins. It ruined my experience with the Evo and touchwiz is the worst interpretation of all.
2. battery life on my phone (Samsung Focus Flash) is pretty good. I wouldn't say great. It is definitely better than any android i've owned. gets me through a full work day and then a few hours more.
3. i'm not sure how updates work just yet. as i said i've only been with windows phone for about a week now.
4. finding out that i could easily remove the bloatware without a third party app or rooting was a dream!!!

on to your questions.

as far as your other questions, i'm afraid i'm not too sure of these, myself, just yet. i will say that coming from an android experience i have google EVERYTHING!!! setting up gmail was an absolute breeze. the calendar was a bit more involved because i have multiple calendars on one account but i still got it up and running relatively easily. i find that it takes a few minutes for your phone inbox to sync with your google inbox if, say, you deleted an email or something. but unless you're really a stickler about such things i can't see y you would even notice this.

so in short, switching over to windows phone when google owns your life is pretty easy.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
That being said, I adore my Windows Phone, and having had some fits and starts, I keep coming back to it real fast. I don't think I could complete an entire day on Android anymore.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
While I love Windows Phone, I think that anyone that has real reservations or fears should wait until WP8.

We don't know for sure if current handsets will be upgradable to WP8. And if that's a concern for you, then I'd rather have you on board when I know you'll be happy than have you happy in the short term, and upset in the long term because you took a risk that didn't pay off.

Not that it would be MS's fault if you took the risk. But I know that there are a bunch of people that will feel upset if their current phone doesn't upgrade to WP8. Even if they receive a comparable upgrade in features.

What may be the most prudent route is to get a cheaper Windows Phone off ebay and just use that for a few months. The HTC Trophy is still a decent phone. And that would let you stay with Verizon until the WP8 handsets are released. At that point you could make a decision on what to use your upgrade on.

erjennin

May 24, 2012
Visit site
While I love Windows Phone, I think that anyone that has real reservations or fears should wait until WP8.

We don't know for sure if current handsets will be upgradable to WP8. And if that's a concern for you, then I'd rather have you on board when I know you'll be happy than have you happy in the short term, and upset in the long term because you took a risk that didn't pay off.

Not that it would be MS's fault if you took the risk. But I know that there are a bunch of people that will feel upset if their current phone doesn't upgrade to WP8. Even if they receive a comparable upgrade in features.

What may be the most prudent route is to get a cheaper Windows Phone off ebay and just use that for a few months. The HTC Trophy is still a decent phone. And that would let you stay with Verizon until the WP8 handsets are released. At that point you could make a decision on what to use your upgrade on.
I've considered using the Trophy, but my understanding is that the Trophy is 1st gen hardware and the overall fit and finish is not that good. Also, I'm spoiled with 4G now. I was considering switching to AT&T and getting the Lumia. One other key point, I travel a lot for work and my current Razr/Gnex don't allow GSM support. There's rumor that Verizon will open up GSM support for the Razr once ICS is applied, but I'm not holding my breath on that to work. I've really got my eyes on the Lumia 900.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, Verizon has killed Windows Phone for me. Since they're killing unlimited data, I have to use my upgrade before Verizon will get a Windows Phone. I'm pretty pissed. I also couldn't give up tethering. That's core functionality that's indispensable.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

This.

It's good advice. If you've have reservations now about the current version of the OS, give it a few months and see what WP8 has to offer.

I just got a Lumia 900 but I know that, even if it gets no update at all, I'll be happy with how it is until my contract finishes.

erjennin

May 24, 2012
Visit site
This.

It's good advice. If you've have reservations now about the current version of the OS, give it a few months and see what WP8 has to offer.

I just got a Lumia 900 but I know that, even if it gets no update at all, I'll be happy with how it is until my contract finishes.
I think I'm sold on how nice the Lumia 900 hardware is. Also, in the worst case scenario that the Lumia cannot be upgraded to WP8, I will probably sell it outright on Ebay for a couple hundred dollars and spend a couple hundred of my own to get a WP8 device.

I've got to be honest, I've been such an Android ****** for a long time and I've bought into the ecosystem so much that I'm nervous to make the jump in fear I won't like it.
But, inherently, something is wrong with Android. I feel like I have to babysit it and constantly monitor it to make sure everything is working correctly. I've almost become consumed by it. WP7 is supposed to be exactly the opposite it seems. It's simple and easy from what I can tell.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm sold on how nice the Lumia 900 hardware is. Also, in the worst case scenario that the Lumia cannot be upgraded to WP8, I will probably sell it outright on Ebay for a couple hundred dollars and spend a couple hundred of my own to get a WP8 device.

I've got to be honest, I've been such an Android ****** for a long time and I've bought into the ecosystem so much that I'm nervous to make the jump in fear I won't like it.
But, inherently, something is wrong with Android. I feel like I have to babysit it and constantly monitor it to make sure everything is working correctly. I've almost become consumed by it. WP7 is supposed to be exactly the opposite it seems. It's simple and easy from what I can tell.

I was the same way. I felt like having an Android phone was like having a job. I was totally sold on the entire Google package for a while too. I thought WP was a joke.. I only flashed it to my HD2 so that I could have a valid reason for hating it. Well after a week of using it I was NEVER going back to Android.

I bought a Focus that I didn't power cycle once for over 6 months. It just always worked. Still does. That's what you get with Windows Phone.

Also I agree with your idea. I'd get the 900 now and worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes.

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
hm its seems you are ready to jump to windows phone ship good luck if you decide to jump i don't know anything about google services since i don't use it i hope someone will help you
:)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I was the same way. I felt like having an Android phone was like having a job. I was totally sold on the entire Google package for a while too. I thought WP was a joke.. I only flashed it to my HD2 so that I could have a valid reason for hating it. Well after a week of using it I was NEVER going back to Android.

I bought a Focus that I didn't power cycle once for over 6 months. It just always worked. Still does. That's what you get with Windows Phone.

Also I agree with your idea. I'd get the 900 now and worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes.

I just got the Lumia 900 after debating waiting or getting it. Sams Club hadit for 48.88 and I decided to go on and get it. No guarantee with Windows Phone 8 and upgrade to it but I feel that it will get all the windows phone 8 features that can run on a single core 1.4 ghz processor which shpould be most of them. That will be good enough for me. In the meantime I am saving up money to buy a windows 8 phone (Nokia I supect) after the first of the year. I haave never bought an android phone but I have played with several and its just not for me. I am used to windows phone and before that windows mobile and before that palm treos (palm and windows os). My wife and daughter have iPhones and its okay but its not my cup of tea.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Uh oh, someone hide this thread from djdtox:

1) I'm afraid that you may have to pay for this feature at least for AT&T,Verizon and sprint. T-mobile bundles tethering with their plans of 5GB and above and you can get it for free in a trophy custom rom I believe.

2) there are alternatives such as words by post and metrogram, these should be able to hold you over till the idiotic devs get their acts together.

3) I wouldn't worry about it.

4) services like Gmail and calendar work fine with WP but for maps and everything else you'll have to rely on 3rd party apps which are in the marketplace.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I've considered using the Trophy, but my understanding is that the Trophy is 1st gen hardware and the overall fit and finish is not that good. Also, I'm spoiled with 4G now. I was considering switching to AT&T and getting the Lumia. One other key point, I travel a lot for work and my current Razr/Gnex don't allow GSM support. There's rumor that Verizon will open up GSM support for the Razr once ICS is applied, but I'm not holding my breath on that to work. I've really got my eyes on the Lumia 900.

The Trophy isn't that bad. If you bought one off ebay you would be able to get a WP 8 when they come to Verizon.

Unfortunately, Verizon has killed Windows Phone for me. Since they're killing unlimited data, I have to use my upgrade before Verizon will get a Windows Phone. I'm pretty pissed. I also couldn't give up tethering. That's core functionality that's indispensable.

It won't be long before no one is offering unlimited data. I don't like it but that's how it's going to be in the future.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Sure, but if I upgrade now I've another two years of unlimited data. That's worth it to me. I'll take two more years over nothin'.

Nope, VZ is scrapping unlimited data grandfathered or not. Whoever told you that gave false information, CS reps tend to be misinformed for the most par.

Now lets get this thread back on topic.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
waiting until wp8 is sound advice...

that is what Im doing.

too much stuff missing right now, hopefully wp8 will really sort things out.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Nope, VZ is scrapping unlimited data grandfathered or not. Whoever told you that gave false information, CS reps tend to be misinformed for the most par.

Now lets get this thread back on topic.

Dude, you're just straight up wrong. You don't have to believe me. But you might have to believe Verizon and the New York Times.

Verizon Clarifies: Unlimited Data Plans to Die Slow Death - NYTimes.com

– Customers will not be automatically moved to new shared data plans. If a 3G or 4G smartphone customer is on an unlimited plan now and they do not want to change their plan, they will not have to do so.
– When we introduce our new shared data plans, Unlimited Data will no longer be available to customers when purchasing handsets at discounted pricing.
– Customers who purchase phones at full retail price and are on an unlimited smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan.
– The same pricing and policies will be applied to all 3G and 4GLTE smartphones

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I've seen several articles discussing the pros and cons of WP7 vs Android and I'm on the boarder of switching. Here's my reason why:

1. I hate all the custom OE skins on Android. Not one is good. I currently have Verizon and GNex is plagued with problems, so for now, even with dev support, I am not satisfied.
2. Battery life, with exception of the Razr Maxx, is not good.
3. Unless I own a Nexus, software updates take forever, are carrier controlled, and usually introduce a whole mess of bloatware.
4. Bloatware! At least the crappy AT&T apps are uninstallable on WP7.

Here's What I'm afraid I'll miss:
1. free wifi tethering. I rooted previous android phones to take advantage of this. Can it be done on WP7?
2. Key apps. Most of them are there, but a few that I use a lot (WordsWithFriends, Instagram) are missing. I know there are similar apps, but I have friends on each app that I want to continue to play against or share photos with. 3
3. Here's the biggest one. Will the Lumia 900 be upgradeable to Windows 8? I don't want a phone that will be obsolete in a few months.
4. Google integration. I've bought into the Google platform big time with Android. How does Windows do with this?

Are there any former hardcore Android users that made the switch? How was it?

I am an android user who switched to WP (HTC Trophy) for a couple months, then switched back to android.

As far as battery life, it was much worse on my trophy than on my Droid X. I'm not sure how it is on other windows phones.

As far as your questions,

1. Not possible. I don't think it is even with any custom software. Even if it were, you have to pay $100 to be able to dev unlock the phone to customize it at all.

2. It will probably take a while for those apps to come to WP. The alternatives on WP may not be good for you as most of your friends probably use the more popular apps.

3. This isn't known but chances are it will not be upgraded to WP8 but will receive some of the significant features.

4. Google integration is pretty good. I didn't really have any problems with this except for tasks. I.couldn't sync tasks through Google. I had to use my windows live account only for the tasks.

I would side with those who say to wait until WP8 comes out. WP has some nice features right now, but it is just missing some key things.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs