Should I leave Android

bowlman23

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I switched from the Motorola Atrix to Samsung Focus Flash and I love windows I don't miss Android at all just some apps that all.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Got to play with the EVO 4G LTE and the HTC One S from T-mobile and while it's awesome hardware, Android disgusts me now!

I was the first to get the Nexus One, got and returned the Nexus S, and played with the Galaxy Nexus and honestly, Android needs too much of my time. WP and iOS are simple and do what I need, efficiently and elegantly. iOS is a bit stale as well.

I do have Gmail and use a few other Google services, but the flaws and dislikes I have for Android turn me away from the platform.

mdintx

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I came from a Sony Xperia X10. It was a kludge of a phone. I now have a Samsung Focus S. I'm not totally sold of Windows Phone. Here are some differences you will notice.

1) There's no easy Wifi, BT, GPS toggle. You've got to go through the Settings menu rather than quickly going to a widget.
2) You can't modify the Wifi sleep policy. The only workaround is to set the screen timeout time to the max (5 minutes).
3) The info bar disappears...not that battery info is easily accessible anyways...
4) Obviously, many apps are missing and the ones that exist are not as smooth or well developed.
5) The phone will "integrate/sync" all your contacts. If you're one who wants things kept separate (like me), you're screwed. :dry
6) For me, battery life is the same...they're smartphones.
7) A lack of customization for the better.

What you get in exchange is speed, fluidity, and less time wasted modifying the OS.

Jeff Kibuule

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I came from a Sony Xperia X10. It was a kludge of a phone. I now have a Samsung Focus S. I'm not totally sold of Windows Phone. Here are some differences you will notice.

1) There's no easy Wifi, BT, GPS toggle. You've got to go through the Settings menu rather than quickly going to a widget.
2) You can't modify the Wifi sleep policy. The only workaround is to set the screen timeout time to the max (5 minutes).
3) The info bar disappears...not that battery info is easily accessible anyways...
4) Obviously, many apps are missing and the ones that exist are not as smooth or well developed.
5) The phone will "integrate/sync" all your contacts. If you're one who wants things kept separate (like me), you're screwed. :dry
6) For me, battery life is the same...they're smartphones.
7) A lack of customization for the better.

What you get in exchange is speed, fluidity, and less time wasted modifying the OS.

You can actually disable Facebook/Twitter contacts from popping up in your address book (while still keeping all that info synced).

I'm glad people are giving honest answers about people coming from other platforms. We know that Windows Phone 8 is so close that I would avoid using a subsidy until then.

mdintx

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
You can actually disable Facebook/Twitter contacts from popping up in your address book (while still keeping all that info synced).

I'm glad people are giving honest answers about people coming from other platforms. We know that Windows Phone 8 is so close that I would avoid using a subsidy until then.

That's just it...I don't want all that info sync'd in the first place.

And I forgot one HUGE upside to WP7.5; voice to text via BT. Texting and driving is against the law where I live. The phone automatically allows texts to be read and you can dictate your reply. That is simply AWESOME and literally a life saver.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That's just it...I don't want all that info sync'd in the first place.

And I forgot one HUGE upside to WP7.5; voice to text via BT. Texting and driving is against the law where I live. The phone automatically allows texts to be read and you can dictate your reply. That is simply AWESOME and literally a life saver.

Then don't input your social networks. They won't show up. Also, you can get apps that give you shortcuts to wifi/network/etc.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
There was another thing that was annoying about WP. There are no separate volume controls. You get one volume level and it will be Tue same for media, ringtones, notifications, etc. It was annoying when I would be listening to music at a higher volume, then later I would forget the volume was still high and a call would come in and ring super loud. Or I would forget I turned the volume down and my alarm wouldn't wake me up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Dude, you're just straight up wrong. You don't have to believe me. But you might have to believe Verizon and the New York Times.

Verizon Clarifies: Unlimited Data Plans to Die Slow Death - NYTimes.com

? Customers will not be automatically moved to new shared data plans. If a 3G or 4G smartphone customer is on an unlimited plan now and they do not want to change their plan, they will not have to do so.
? When we introduce our new shared data plans, Unlimited Data will no longer be available to customers when purchasing handsets at discounted pricing.
? Customers who purchase phones at full retail price and are on an unlimited smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan.
? The same pricing and policies will be applied to all 3G and 4GLTE smartphones

ok but what does that have to do with this thread? Seriously just stop, if you aren't serious or dedicated to WP and are just going to post negative things then you shouldn't be posting here.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
ok but what does that have to do with this thread? Seriously just stop, if you aren't serious or dedicated to WP and are just going to post negative things then you shouldn't be posting here.

He wasn't saying anything negative. He was just clearing up the misinformation being spread by others. I won't name names. :rolleyes:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
If you enjoy Google services and rely on them heavily, you either go with Android or switch to Microsoft stuff. There's no reason why someone who uses Google Docs, Drive, Calendar, Search, Maps & Mail should leave Android unless you are fine with switching or for some reason consider those to be insignificant when compared to the advantages.

He wasn't saying anything negative. He was just clearing up the misinformation being spread by others. I won't name names. :rolleyes:
He's a self-confessed troll whose sole purpose is to rile up Windows Phone users by attempting to tear down the platform. Good indication of the state of moderation on this site is, it's 100% by the rulebook ("do not swear do not double post do not advertise") and 0% on better judgement.

Goddamn I miss Backstage.

Last edited:

erjennin

May 24, 2012
Visit site
hey guys, quick update. Got the Lumia. I just couldn't wait.

Anyways, I love it so far. The phone is built great and WP7.5 has most of what I need. There are two things that I don't like so far.
1. I dropped an excel file into skydrive that i formerly kept on Google Docs. I went to edit it from the skydrive app on my phone and it wouldn't let me. What am I doing wrong?
2. The Facebook apps is terrible at providing notifications and clearing them once I check them.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

Anyways, I love it so far. The phone is built great and WP7.5 has most of what I need. There are two things that I don't like so far.
1. I dropped an excel file into skydrive that i formerly kept on Google Docs. I went to edit it from the skydrive app on my phone and it wouldn't let me. What am I doing wrong?

I have this problem as well. I looked it up and this is what I found:

--Open the document on your PC

--Go to Options..Trust Center

--Select Privacy Options

--Uncheck the "Remove personal information from file properties on save" option

Hopefully WP8 will fix this and some other limitations that WP7 has.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

2. The Facebook apps is terrible at providing notifications and clearing them once I check them.

1) if it's a regular .doc file it will not be editable from office mobile but I think you can resave it in .docx on office online.

2) yea they take awhile to clear but they eventually do. You can also turn them off entirely and just use the Me tile for notifications, its what I do.

Zumanity

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on your purchase.

Let me say, I am confident you will enjoy an upgraded experience this fall on your Lumia 900.

As a Google user (Gmail, etc). I can say Windows Phone has the integration I need to run my life, I hope you get the same experience.

Nokia will take care of you in a fashion no other OEM can do. Support - Nokia - USA is your friend for anything you wish to tell them about.

Enjoy your Lumia!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I switched from android to WP. Over time I have moved most of my stuff from Google to Microsoft. I stil have my gmail, but now hotmail is my primary account. Using hotmail, bing and skydrive I find I don't really miss google at all.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I switched from android to WP. Over time I have moved most of my stuff from Google to Microsoft. I stil have my gmail, but now hotmail is my primary account. Using hotmail, bing and skydrive I find I don't really miss google at all.

Never used their services, I try to avoid companies who heavily sell peoples information as their primary income.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It depends on what your requirements are. If you don't require more than what a WP7 device can offer, then why not take the plunge?

I'm getting the Vivid moving on from an HD7. It meets all my requirements (ICS, 1080p + 720p in 60FPS + Slow Motion Mode on a really good camera, Dual Core + HSPA+/LTE, qHD resolution screen, 16GB + SD Slot, FFC for Skype, Sense has all the Social Integration I used on WP7 and more).

The 60 FPS recording is clutch. I need that for video analysis and it will let me drop one more device I carry with me. I took some samples and emailed them to myself, the quality was very good in dubious lighting.

P.S. Microsoft collects as much data as Google, and if you don't think they monetize it then you don't have a clue how that all works. You think they're in the business of throwing money down the toilet, since otherwise that is exactly what they would be doing providing free service with literally no revenue stream.

Microsoft is in the Ad and Search market, just like Google. They are just the underdogs. Everyone always loves the underdogs :p

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It depends on what your requirements are. If you don't require more than what a WP7 device can offer, then why not take the plunge?

I'm getting the Vivid moving on from an HD7. It meets all my requirements (ICS, 1080p + 720p in 60FPS + Slow Motion Mode on a really good camera, Dual Core + HSPA+/LTE, qHD resolution screen, 16GB + SD Slot, FFC for Skype, Sense has all the Social Integration I used on WP7 and more).

The 60 FPS recording is clutch. I need that for video analysis and it will let me drop one more device I carry with me. I took some samples and emailed them to myself, the quality was very good in dubious lighting.

P.S. Microsoft collects as much data as Google, and if you don't think they monetize it then you don't have a clue how that all works. You think they're in the business of throwing money down the toilet, since otherwise that is exactly what they would be doing providing free service with literally no revenue stream.

Microsoft is in the Ad and Search market, just like Google. They are just the underdogs. Everyone always loves the underdogs :p

could've just left it at the first paragraph and that's that, rest is just jargon.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
could've just left it at the first paragraph and that's that, rest is just jargon.

No, the rest is why people aren't buying WP7 phones. You can say that's jargon, that's fine, call it what you want, but the fact is that people are either buying specs, or jargon. It doesn't matter if they're buying one or the other, they're buying it, and it's not WP7.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
No, the rest is why people aren't buying WP7 phones. You can say that's jargon, that's fine, call it what you want, but the fact is that people are either buying specs, or jargon. It doesn't matter if they're buying one or the other, they're buying it, and it's not WP7.
Of course people are buying windows phones. What r u 7?. U the trolling machine?. Go away man. Don't get why u r even here. People don't care much about specs. They want something that works. Even you know that. And I don't think you like wp. You're a fat liar.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs