Status
Not open for further replies.

mobilejk

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
First off I can only speak for myself.

I haven't made the move to WP from WM for a few reasons amoung them:

NO HID bluetooth profile.

Apps I depend on daily aren't supported i.e. Developer One Agenda Fusion, Laridian ect..

Same upgrade to new phone cuz update doesn't get done for your device model still in place.

Until these are done no WP for me.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
ok. ?.. :dry

what does this mean-->

Same upgrade to new phone cuz update doesn't get done for your device model still in place.

gona go on a a limb and say you talking about WP7.5 not getting the WP8 update? and if so this is 100% unconfirmed.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
First off I can only speak for myself.

I haven't made the move to WP from WM for a few reasons amoung them:

NO HID bluetooth profile.

Apps I depend on daily aren't supported i.e. Developer One Agenda Fusion, Laridian ect..

Until these are done no WP for me.

Really? You can't find a replacement for Bible software? I just did a quick Marketplace search and at least 50 apps come up for keyword "bible".

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Well keep speaking for yourself cause everything you said doesn't effect everyone else. So it has nothing to do with WP's slow growth. The average person doesn't care about those things

WP's slow growth was due to poor marketing and advertising before Nokia came. All that is changing

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
WP's slow growth was due to poor marketing and advertising before Nokia came. All that is changing

100% this was the problem. I think Microsoft just expected people to buy these things like hotcakes when they came out. So there was no real advertising push. The problem at the time though was everyone was in love with Apple or Android.

That's when the union of Nokia and WP was formed. The problem there was it takes time to completely change the direction your company is going. I can only imagine the internal turmoil within Nokia during the change (and probably still happening). Things are coming together nicely now though.

I expect to only see better things from Microsoft and all of it's partners.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It also doesn't help that there are no new devices for VZW or Sprint. Ignoring VZW, the largest carrier in the US won't improve market share.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
100% this was the problem. I think Microsoft just expected people to buy these things like hotcakes when they came out. So there was no real advertising push. The problem at the time though was everyone was in love with Apple or Android.

That's when the union of Nokia and WP was formed. The problem there was it takes time to completely change the direction your company is going. I can only imagine the internal turmoil within Nokia during the change (and probably still happening). Things are coming together nicely now though.

I expect to only see better things from Microsoft and all of it's partners.

I dunno, I think it only gets harder from here. iOS and Android now control 82% of the market. Now, if WP7 gets the remaining 18% then they're in great shape in third place. But they probably won't get all of it, realistically.
That means that WP7 has to lure Android and iOS users away, but the problem is that there's a kind of path dependency to phone ownership that makes the opportunity costs of switching much higher. So as Android and iOS sell more phones it becomes increasingly difficult to lure existing users away, and new users look around at the mobile landscape, and make decisions based on what they see--and they don't really see WP7. Until now, but nowhere near the same level.
For WP7 to succeed they need to take a huge slice out of RIM and Symbian, but so far that hasn't happened. And they also need to take a slice out of dissatisfied iOS/Android users, and while that could happen, and I think it will to some degree, I think Android has seriously stepped up its game with ICS and the new round of hardware coming out of HTC and Samsung.
I think the real wild card here though is an iPhone 5 with LTE. I think Android has been able to succeed because of hardware, not because of software. An iPhone 5 with a 4" screen and LTE could obliterate Android and WP8, which is a scary thought. Android stole a march on Apple with LTE coming out a full year and half earlier, but that advantage might not last. The success of an iPhone 5 will come at the expense of everybody else's marketshare, and I think could cripple WP8.
The fall is going to be nothing but gushing over the iPhone 5, it's going to be hard for Microsoft to get in a word edgewise. This, I would guess, is part of the reason why HTC and Samsung have both gotten their high-end devices out for summer. To beat the iPhone 5 to the market in hopes that it doesn't suck all the oxygen out of the market.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
It also doesn't help that there are no new devices for VZW or Sprint. Ignoring VZW, the largest carrier in the US won't improve market share.

Whoa! back up for a second there now. Let's make it clear no one is ignoring Sprint or Verizon. It's Sprint and Verizon who choose to ignore WP right now

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I dunno, I think it only gets harder from here. iOS and Android now control 82% of the market. Now, if WP7 gets the remaining 18% then they're in great shape in third place. But they probably won't get all of it, realistically.
That means that WP7 has to lure Android and iOS users away

Well apparently the Lumia 900 hasn't had any problems switching some people over from iOS and android. It seems that a lot of people have switched from both for the Lumia 900. Which means as long as OEM's make beautifully unique hardware, it won't be a problem. WP8 will also add on to the momentum. It's a steep hill to climb but not an impossible one. These things don't happen over night like they did for the iPhone, even android had a rocky start with the G1 and didn't start gaining traction until the Droid series which was a year later.

In all fairness WP will never beat android cause android is a whore, carriers love that. They can do whatever they want with it. Also phones can get way cheaper with android cause it doesn't have a high minimum requirement. So WP's true competition is iphone cause they are closer alike when it comes to user experience, and how much control MS and Apple have over the OS/hardware. The goal here is to take #2 spot away from Apple. If WP can do that or just be the clear #3, then we're in good shape

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
@Los (no quotes allowed on this Board Express junk) Actually it is because nobody made a Windows Phone that supports VZW's LTE network. The iPhone 4S is the last 1XEVDO-only smartphone VZW will sell. All new smartphones have to support LTE.

The latest HTC and Nokia support AT&T LTE, but not VZW.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Well apparently the Lumia 900 hasn't had any problems switching some people over from iOS and android. It seems that a lot of people have switched from both for the Lumia 900. Which means as long as OEM's make beautifully unique hardware, it won't be a problem. WP8 will also add on to the momentum. It's a steep hill to climb but not an impossible one. These things don't happen over night like they did for the iPhone, even android had a rocky start with the G1 and didn't start gaining traction until the Droid series which was a year later.

In all fairness WP will never beat android cause android is a whore, carriers love that. They can do whatever they want with it. Also phones can get way cheaper with android cause it doesn't have a high minimum requirement. So WP's true competition is iphone cause they are closer alike when it comes to user experience, and how much control MS and Apple have over the OS/hardware. The goal here is to take #2 spot away from Apple. If WP can do that or just be the clear #3, then we're in good shape

We don't have any numbers whatsoever to support the first statement. As I said, it wouldn't surprise me, but I want more proof than "some guy at some party said some people were interested in his phone." It's happening, no doubt, but is it happening to any measurable degree?

As for the second point, you do realize the Lumia 900 is running on hardware that was cutting edge in early 2010, right? And the first generation of WP7 phones was running on the Qualcomm QSD8250, which was a 2008 chip? Which means these phones are dirt cheap to make? Or should be, anyway. Somehow Nokia managed to make the Lumia 900 cost more than the iPhone 4S, in the end.

Microsoft will end up the number 3, but only because Symbian, BB10 et. all will fall away, and WebOS died an ignominious death already.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
@Los (no quotes allowed on this Board Express junk) Actually it is because nobody made a Windows Phone that supports VZW's LTE network. The iPhone 4S is the last 1XEVDO smartphone VZW will sell. All new smartphones have to support LTE.

The latest HTC and Nokia support AT&T LTE, but not VZW.

Yes that was the excuse at first but then when asked if they would support WP now that it has LTE, they started acting funny again. It wasn't until the iphone started hurting their pockets when they changed their tune all of a sudden. We'll see what happens this fall but to me the only reason why they want to back WP now is only cause of the iphone costing them so much money. Had that not been the case, they still wouldn't care about WP

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
As for the second point, you do realize the Lumia 900 is running on hardware that was cutting edge in early 2010, right? And the first generation of WP7 phones was running on the Qualcomm QSD8250, which was a 2008 chip? Which means these phones are dirt cheap to make? Or should be, anyway. Somehow Nokia managed to make the Lumia 900 cost more than the iPhone 4S, in the end.

Well duh, that's probably the reason why no WP phones are sold for $200 - 300 today. WP pretty much has the cheapest high end phones. You wanna talk about WP phone prices? Let's talk about BlackBerry's outrageous prices for their phones with even less hardware but they sell the Bold at $200 cause it's their high end model

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The next iPhone will support LTE, so there will not be any new smartphones that don't support LTE. All of Androids released since VZW said that are LTE-capable.

It makes sense. LTE is new to AT&T, but not to VZW. Had VZW been my carrier, I'd had LTE over a year here. Why would I consider a slow 1XEVDO device?

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
The next iPhone will support LTE, so there will not be any new smartphones that don't support LTE. All of Androids released since VZW said that are LTE-capable.

It makes sense. LTE is new to AT&T, but not to VZW. Had VZW been my carrier, I'd had LTE over a year here. Why would I consider a slow 1XEVDO device?

Maybe cause to the average user that doesn't matter. It certainly doesn't stop the iphone from selling and that will be about 2 years late to the party. But then again, it's ok when the iphone lacks something but never ok when WP does. There's always been a double standard with the iphone. Lol

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If I had VZW, I'd own an Android.

I recently got AT&T LTE nearby and will have it where I live next month. I wasn't going to look at any non-LTE device. That left Android or Windows Phone. I chose Windows Phone, but had I needed to wait till fall, it wouldn't happen. I'd have chosen whatever was LTE-capable and for sale now.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
If I had VZW, I'd own an Android.

I recently got AT&T LTE nearby and will have it where I live next month. I wasn't going to look at any non-LTE device. That left Android or Windows Phone. I chose Windows Phone, but had I needed to wait till fall, it wouldn't happen. I'd have chosen whatever was LTE-capable and for sale now.

See your problem is you think too much as power user. Your not able to see things from a casual perspective. I'm glad your not running a business. Lol

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Really? You can't find a replacement for Bible software? I just did a quick Marketplace search and at least 50 apps come up for keyword "bible".

I was ticked off with laridian for not jumping on the NIV Bible which I used since palm IIIc and pocket pc days. I got over it very quickly when I found Acro Bible NIV whicch I have been using since I got my focus and installed it on my new L 900. It is what Laridians Pocket Bible for Windows Phone would like/act/feel like IMHO. You shpuld take a look at it is has the szame feel as pocket bible for windows mobile pnlyt smoother you can take notes and bookmark just like Pocket Bible. I have told Laridian several times they should buy Acro Bible !!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I pretty much forgot about "casual use" when I stopped using feature phones. I don't know anyone except my mother who still uses a feature phone.

One of my relatives is a current mobile device admin, formerly a BES admin. I also have a friend who is an electrical engineer.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I pretty much forgot about "casual use" when I stopped using feature phones. I don't know anyone except my mother who still uses a feature phone.

One of my relatives is a current mobile device admin, formerly a BES admin. I also have a friend who is an electrical engineer.

That's my point. This thread is about WP's slow growth. Yet all you always do is say me! me! me! Lol...remember, it doesn't matter what your looking for. When it comes to gaining marketshare. It's about winning over the casual users. It's much bigger than you and me

You said what you were looking for when getting a phone, yet that's the perspective of a power user. People like my mom, aunts and other people not so into tech don't give a damn and don't even know what LTE is. They don't care if a phone has LTE, they can't even tell you what LTE is or stands for. So it doesn't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)