Why WP has such slow growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
so because it was garbag I cant compare it? LOL! hows that for * incredibly disingenuous*
It was getting its A** KICKED by Iphone / BB / WM

obviously you cant compare the Samsung Instinct to the Iphone that was just a MARKETING SCAM like callign HSPA 4G when its 3G. ( the Instinct is NOT even a smartphone )

What's disingenuous is you claiming that Q2 2009 is two years after the launch of Android. It's just not true. Android launched Q3 2008. So if you need a two-year comparison, compare to Q3 2010.
Which gives us...

The Android mobile operating system from Google Inc. (US:goog) saw its share of the global smartphone market soar in the third quarter, according to a report Wednesday from Gartner Inc. According to the report, Android ended the quarter with 25.5% of the smartphone market -- up from 3.5% at the same period last year.

Edit: Let me put it differently--it's been 6 quarters since WP7 launched. They're sitting at 2.8% marketshare. 6 quarters after Android launched, Q1 2010, if my terrible counting is correct, Android sat at 20% or so (can't find good numbers)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok fine Android DID do better the first couple years but obviously they had allot less fierce competition. and they only did better by a few %%

lets take a look.

- First Android phone ever released: HTC Dream October 2008
- 5.2% in November 2009 one year later ( 13monts)

- WP came out october 2010.
- 16months later we are at are at 3-4% of the shares.

now in a 3 months differences android is up on us by 1-2% ( give or take )
and 3 -4years later they are the number ONE with over 60%+++

so how did they go from 5% shares to 60% shares.. and why couldn't WP...

now Obviously they had less competition back then so it was ALLOT easier for them to grow compared to today market. ( that our WP is in )

But I have Faith that WP8 will help GROW the OS with some crazy innovation and one of, if not THE BEST ecosystem out there and probably get by the Iphone in 3-4 years time

specially with the Iphone and RIM slowly losing traction.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
One major problem is going to be the customers “relationship”. To compare it to a bank, this is key. Each bank tries to build what they call relationships, which to the bank is getting the customer to open and transfer as many accounts to them. They hope, and it’s true, that if a customer has numerous accounts with them it is less likely they will leave, even if they have issues with the bank.

Now, customers of the iphone and Android have a relationship already built up. Apps, email accounts, profiles…etc. It is difficult for many to change all of that, and to most, it is not worth it.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
What's disingenuous is you claiming that Q2 2009 is two years after the launch of Android. It's just not true. Android launched Q3 2008. So if you need a two-year comparison, compare to Q3 2010.
Which gives us...

The Android mobile operating system from Google Inc. (US:goog) saw its share of the global smartphone market soar in the third quarter, according to a report Wednesday from Gartner Inc. According to the report, Android ended the quarter with 25.5% of the smartphone market -- up from 3.5% at the same period last year.

Edit: Let me put it differently--it's been 6 quarters since WP7 launched. They're sitting at 2.8% marketshare. 6 quarters after Android launched, Q1 2010, if my terrible counting is correct, Android sat at 20% or so (can't find good numbers)
#pwned

Lol

Good post man, you're one of the only logical people I've encountered on here

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
#pwned

Lol

Good post man, you're one of the only logical people I've encountered on here

Meh, I just don't like fanboys of any stripe, be they Android, iOS, WP, Symbian or WebOS. I joined this forum hoping for a Lumia on Verizon, but that's obviously not happening for a while, and I'll be getting a new phone next month to keep my unlimited data, so I'll probably bow out of this forum.
Sorry to leave you with no logic in that case! ;)

I honestly think WP will be fine though, unless Microsoft prematurely spikes it.
I think support for Android is softer than it looks despite the enormous marketshare--people have reservations, and they may not be locked in yet. As I said before though, I think a 4" LTE iPhone 5 could demolish everything in sight. That's a scary proposition for both Android and WP.

Zumanity

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Is it even fair to compare Android sales to WP?

When the Android launched, it was the best contender to an alternative iPhone smartphone style. The app grid icons were there, the features, and it had a iPhone "like" feeling to it. There was no other system like that, so it makes sense for it's market share to jump up so quickly. Not everyone could afford the iPhone lifestyle.

It's very true that the Andorid sales in it's first two years totally beat (or will beat) WP. The causer however can't be compared as Android was the only alternative in it's first years, while WP has to contend with Android and iOS. It's very hard to sell your platform when you have two giants already well established.

Mindshare is something that can be measured, but not with precision as sales can. Microsoft has to overcome the mindshare that Android and iOS have on the U.S market.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned the main obstacle that has been in the path of WP growth has been sales reps. So many people shopping for phones don't do any research so whatever the rep says it what they buy. Now AT&T is pushing the Lumia so I expect it to do well. With WP 8 some of the buzz words like dual-core, LTE and high resolution screen will apply so more reps should push them. It's taking a while to build up steam but by this time next year WP will be doing a lot better than it is now.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Thread title:
Why WP has such slow growth

The truth:
I can only speak for myself.

Also, since tekhna and others are running rampant again - stop comparing Android and Windows Phone, there are a million problems with arguing either side. Every comparison has its pitfalls but Android vs Windows Phone is one that truly makes me facepalm - used so frequently yet so wrong.

There is no merit to saying one platform is better, more suited, etc. due to adoption. They launched in different time periods with different levels of support, different goals and different feature-sets, from companies with different public perceptions. That goes both ways, Windows Phone is not better than Android because it sold more in the first six months and Android isn't better because it's selling more later in its life.

Last edited:

JD Miles

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned the main obstacle that has been in the path of WP growth has been sales reps. So many people shopping for phones don't do any research so whatever the rep says it what they buy. Now AT&T is pushing the Lumia so I expect it to do well. With WP 8 some of the buzz words like dual-core, LTE and high resolution screen will apply so more reps should push them. It's taking a while to build up steam but by this time next year WP will be doing a lot better than it is now.
that hits the nail right on the head I went to multiple AT&T stores and got the opinon from the reps I was all but nuts when I continued to "insist" I wanted to go with the Focus WP7 and each thought I should re-think any interest in WP7 and depending on their personal choice I shoud get an I-phone or android whatever glad I was insistent

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Is it even fair to compare Android sales to WP?

When the Android launched, it was the best contender to an alternative iPhone smartphone style. The app grid icons were there, the features, and it had a iPhone "like" feeling to it. There was no other system like that, so it makes sense for it's market share to jump up so quickly. Not everyone could afford the iPhone lifestyle.

It's very true that the Andorid sales in it's first two years totally beat (or will beat) WP. The causer however can't be compared as Android was the only alternative in it's first years, while WP has to contend with Android and iOS. It's very hard to sell your platform when you have two giants already well established.

Mindshare is something that can be measured, but not with precision as sales can. Microsoft has to overcome the mindshare that Android and iOS have on the U.S market.

When Android launched the OS wasn't even that good, and it was reviewed as such. An HTC Sense WM 6.5 device like the HD2 was clearly superior to something like the G1 - easily, even the Droid wasn't much better than it, if at all.

WP7 has low traction because Microsoft was late and they're still stuck in 2010 or before. 2010 for the hardware their OS runs on. Before for the functionality the OS provides since it's still missing some features you can get from a feature phone and that most people would expect from any smartphone.

The perception of an OS that functions like something from years ago running on hardware from years ago is strong and negative. When people buy a new phone, they want just that - New. Android provides that, and so does Apple when they launch their new phones. They give you advances in hardware beyond what they had in their devices prior to that date and in the case of google they iterate on their platform at such a pace that it's almost impossible (at this point) for WP7 to even catch up to them from a functionality perspective (maybe Apollo will change that, maybe not, but the damage that has been done is done and you can't rewrite history).

They should have worked a bit harder to launch the platform earlier. Launching after the iPHone 4 and Galaxy S (nevermind HTC's high end devices - they were on a roll back then) really hurt them. It literally gave them table scraps for people to sell to.

They are launching some nice LOOKING phones these days (Lumia 800/900, Titan II, etc.), but the hardware in the phones is not really much different from what is in T-Mobile's mid-range Mango devices.

In fact it's a bit ironic that people rave about those devices yet there was a ton of "lulz" threads on the forums when Apple launched the i4S "refresh" device, which actually has over a year of technology advancement in it while WP7 devices moved up in like 3 months of tech time from Launch to Mango, starting a year+ behind the competition hardware-wise.

Microsoft did themselves no favors with the hardware restrictions and playing favorites with their OEM partners (holding back HTC/Samsung so Nokia can succeed in the WP7 ecosystem on design while using terrible internals compared to Apple/Android high end devices, for example). Play favorites after you get the ball rolling. They held themselves back by going the route they did and I doubt the user experience would have suffered much.

Those excuses they used were used by apple but unlike iOS WP7 users have like 5+ different "high end" phones to choose out of, not just 1 top end iPhone. It was a bad decision, IMO.

Well times have changed. Now the buzz words are Quad Core, LTE, and things like WiFi Direct, BT 4.0, AppleTV-type devices to stream media wirelessly to your TV... Stuff like that.

They need to skip a generation. Their currect hardware is 2010 level, going to Dual Core won't cut it, unless they're doing that for mid-range devices. All new Android devices are going ot be Quad Core except for the purpose of LTE support (which should start making it into Quad Core SoCs soon enough).

Carriers like T-Mobile and Sprint won't have decent LTE Coverage (or none at all) for another year or so so that won't work too well on them. I wonder if T-Mobile and Sprint will launch high end Apollo devices, though...

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
You have to be a bit naive to not believe that availability did not play a part in Android's growth. Boost Mobile, Cricket, US Cellular, Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile and Prepaid, AT&T and prepaid, Sprint, Verizon Wireless, Straight Talk, etc. had Android devices ranging from every price point imaginable around 2009-2010. Yes the OG Droid and VZW's marketing kicked off the race, and arguably yes the OG Droid wasn't cheap nor the OG Evo (which was also popular), the top tier Android handsets did not make up the bulk of sales. Contributed, yes (look at Samsung alone and the Galaxy line) but not solely. The everyday people I see (work in a restaurant where I see over a 100 people a day) either wield an iPhone or for the most part, a low end Android device or a dated one. The teens are the ones I see getting the "top tier now" devices (co-worker has a Razr) but that's it. And I think I've only seen 3 people with a Windows Phone and more people using Blackberry than WP. This topic needs to be locked and burned for obvious reasons

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Well times have changed. Now the buzz words are Quad Core, LTE, and things like WiFi Direct, BT 4.0, AppleTV-type devices to stream media wirelessly to your TV... Stuff like that.

They need to skip a generation. Their currect hardware is 2010 level, going to Dual Core won't cut it, unless they're doing that for mid-range devices. All new Android devices are going ot be Quad Core except for the purpose of LTE support (which should start making it into Quad Core SoCs soon enough).

Carriers like T-Mobile and Sprint won't have decent LTE Coverage (or none at all) for another year or so so that won't work too well on them. I wonder if T-Mobile and Sprint will launch high end Apollo devices, though...

Exactly which android phones in the US are going to be quad core? The Galaxy S3 for the US is going to be dual core and the HTC One series is dual core in the US. Don't get me wrong, android does push hardware limits more than any other platform, but that means little to those buying free or near free android phones. Do you really think sales reps have little to do with the phone people buy? Sure most on internet forums are educated about devices, but so many aren't, so they are easily swayed by what they are told in the store. I understand WP has some features missing that I would like them to have and are obviously extremely important to you, but other than that the platform does have a good user experience that people can enjoy.

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Most of the people I know who own a droid phone don't even know how to use it. They just wanted a "smartphone" and the salespeople point them towards the droids. I'm not talking about the kids that buy it, but the older generation, like my parents who can't even figure out how to embed a picture into a text. The thing I hate about droid phones is that each minor update to the OS requires a brand new phone with newer hardware to run it. There must be a half dozen or so OS's out there as we speak. You don't know if the hardware on your current phone will run the next dessert named update that will be out next month. So pardon my ignorance or naivety on why Droid phones control so much of the market.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
It seems like a lot of people here still have trouble understanding Microsoft new model with Windows Phone. It's not about specs, it's about the end user experience. They are never going to offer phones completely different than others in a 2 year span. The purpose of these specs is for the same experience across all phones

Why do you think after almost 2 years Microsoft is still able to provide updates to all Windows Phones? cause of the requirement they set for specs. Just cause they offer choice with phones doesn't mean they are going to make phones dramatically different than others in specs just to win the spec war. It's not about that. So expect all Windows Phone 8 phones to all be similar to each other for at least 2 years again. Why? cause Microsoft understand people are stuck on 2 year contracts, so they want to be able to support your phone for at least 2 years. That would be impossible with android's model. name 1 android phone from 2 years ago still getting updates?

Windows Phone was meant to be more like the iphone. Set a certain spec for a certain period of time to reduce fragmentation, and to have the same experience across all phones, no matter which phone you get. If you want super phones every 3 months, go with android, then cry when you can't get a certain update cause your phone doesn't have 8 cores, and the phone you bought 6 months ago only has 4 cores

So for people thinking MS is going to magically just start offering super phones just to keep up with the spec war, it's never going to happen. Expect the same for Windows Phone 8, a set standard for specs for another 2 years so they can continue to support your phone for that period of time and make sure the experience is the same across the board, unlike android where the experience is different with every device. Look at how many phone don't have ICS. Do you want Windows Phone to become like that? I don't

so let's just be happy with the end user experience we have. Microsoft knows what they are doing. What kills me is a lot of you already mad about the so called Nokia fragmentation but are quick to support phones with dramatically higher specs that cause even more serious fragmentation. smh

Last edited:

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
It seems like a lot of people here still have trouble understanding Microsoft new model with Windows Phone. It's not about specs, it's about the end user experience. They are never going to offer phones completely different than others in a 2 year span. The purpose of these specs is for the same experience across all phones

Why do you think after almost 2 years Microsoft is still able to provide updates to all Windows Phones? cause of the requirement they set for specs. Just cause they offer choice with phones doesn't mean they are going to make phones dramatically different than others in specs just to win the spec war. It's not about that. So expect all Windows Phone 8 phones to all be similar to each other for at least 2 years again. Why? cause Microsoft understand people are stuck on 2 year contracts, so they want to be able to support your phone for at least 2 years. That would be impossible with android's model. name 1 android phone from 2 years ago still getting updates?

Windows Phone was meant to be more like the iphone. Set a certain spec for a certain period of time to reduce fragmentation, and to have the same experience across all phones, no matter which phone you get. If you want super phones every 3 months, go with android, then cry when you can't get a certain update cause your phone doesn't have 8 cores, and the phone you bought 6 months ago only has 4 cores

So for people thinking MS is going to magically just start offering super phones just to keep up with the spec war, it's never going to happen. Expect the same for Windows Phone 8, a set standard for specs for another 2 years so they can continue to support your phone for that period of time and make sure the experience is the same across the board, unlike android where the experience is different with every device. Look at how many phone don't have ICS. Do you want Windows Phone to become like that? I don't

so let's just be happy with the end user experience we have. Microsoft knows what they are doing. What kills me is a lot of you already mad about the so called Nokia fragmentation but are quick to support phones with dramatically higher specs that cause even more serious fragmentation. smh

The problem is that Apple has been able to do both--retain a uniform UI and clear upgrade path for most devices while pumping out phones with pretty beastly specs. The specs aren't Android-grade, but substantially better than anything that WP7 has offered in term of screen, processing power, camera, etc. I mean, for god's sake WP7 only recently got front-facing camera support. They do that by restricting specs, certainly, but WP7 hasn't gotten a real spec refresh since it was launched in 2010.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that Apple has been able to do both--retain a uniform UI and clear upgrade path for most devices while pumping out phones with pretty beastly specs. The specs aren't Android-grade, but substantially better than anything that WP7 has offered in term of screen, processing power, camera, etc. I mean, for god's sake WP7 only recently got front-facing camera support. They do that by restricting specs, certainly, but WP7 hasn't gotten a real spec refresh since it was launched in 2010.

Apple only have 1 phone and they only come out with 1 every year. They don't differ too much apart from the last. They are no where as high as android specs

Your obviously missing my point. It's not going to have a real spec refresh until this fall which is exactly 2 years later. exactly when most early adopters are capable of an upgrade. That's the whole plan, to support phones for the 2 years that people are on contracts for

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I think Apple does a better job of software/hardware integration plus provide a clear upgrade path than anyone else. For all the horsepower and spec wars android has going on they don't provide a clear upgrade path, even for higher end phones. I am hoping WP follows the Apple model with WP 8.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Apple only have 1 phone and they only come out with 1 every year. They don't differ too much apart from the last. They are no where as high as android specs

Your obviously missing my point. It's not going to have a real spec refresh until this fall which is exactly 2 years later. exactly when most early adopters are capable of an upgrade. That's the whole plan, to support phones for the 2 years that people are on contracts for

The camera in the iPhone 4S is superb. The A5 SOC in the 4S is wicked-fast. The screen, despite (because of?) its size is unparalleled. The iPhone is a high-end phone. Period.

No, I'm getting your point. The point is that the Lumia 900 is no different than the Samsung Focus S, which scarcely different than a Samsung Focus. My point is that you claim that WP7 is more like iOS, but it's manifestly not true. The UI/user experience focus part is true. But Apple does more than that. Your argument would make sense of there hadn't been any WP7 phones released since 2010.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The camera in the iPhone 4S is superb. The A5 SOC in the 4S is wicked-fast. The screen, despite (because of?) its size is unparalleled. The iPhone is a high-end phone. Period.

No, I'm getting your point. The point is that the Lumia 900 is no different than the Samsung Focus S, which scarcely different than a Samsung Focus. My point is that you claim that WP7 is more like iOS, but it's manifestly not true. The UI/user experience focus part is true. But Apple does more than that. Your argument would make sense of there hadn't been any WP7 phones released since 2010.
Come on playa'. iOS has been around since 2007 and the 2G is the same as the current 4S to the casual observer. How can you complain that the 900 is no different than the Focus S, etc. and at the same time say that WP is not following the Apple path. I wholeheartedly agree with Los's post, which happens to almost mirror my own, in that MS is making sure that the end-user experience is right before they start tinkering with the formula. I've mentioned before, MS needs to remove the stigma of their prior product in the minds of consumers with a rock-solid UI and user experience. To that end, I feel it's working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos