Why WP has such slow growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I've never had an issue with iTunes, personally, but I tend to prefer using WMP since it is built in and better integrated into the OS. I prefer to have to install as few apps as possible on my PC. I really preferred Vista and all of its built-in apps

its my gf that uses the iphone so she is actually using it on her mac, wasn't installing apps either, that id understand, she was just syncing music over then poof all things went bye bye lol, well actually she slapped me right after said "lol"...

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Which part of "integration" do you have the most trouble understanding? How exactly does an iPhone integrate with other Apple products? Because they're built by the same company? How do you get a document you create with your Macbook to your iPhone? Oh, and how do you transfer files (not music)?
iWorks supports iCloud. They go automatically to the cloud if you want. You don't have to transfer anything. You can even see and edit them in your browser at icloud.com There's nothing to send, and there's nothing to "get." It just happens automatically in almost real time.

iPhones integrate directly with iPhoto on OSX so you can use that to deal with Photos and Video. It offers to do that when you plug your Mac in Obviously you do your Music (and eBooks, and some video as well) through iTunes. I watched someone plug their iPhone in their computer, import a 1080p video directly into iPhoto from the iPhone, and then right click and send it to iMail as an email attachment. That kind of workflow is impossible with WP7 on Windows right now. User experience goes beyond that one specific device. It also includes how well the device works with other form-factors and applications therein.

There is iTunes Remote. There's integration with AppleTV. The only thing Microsoft has that's comparable is the XBox Companion App (since an XBox is roughly equivalent to an AppleTV in functionality esp when coupled with Zune/Media Center Connect therefore the phone functions as a remote as well, indirectly at least).

My point was simply the way their products work well together is a huge incentive for people to buy more Apple products once they've gotten one. Most of my friends who have iPhones, if not all of the, basically have every Apple product possible in their home (iMac, MacBook, iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV for most of them) because they like that. I won't bother getting an iPhone simply because that type of workflow optimization with that device is impossible for me as a Windows user.

Not gonna read the rest if this is how you're gonna start off. Not sure why you're questioning my understanding of the word integration. Sounds like you need a fatclue. Later.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
iWorks supports iCloud. They go automatically to the cloud if you want. You don't have to transfer anything. You can even see and edit them in your browser at icloud.com There's nothing to send, and there's nothing to "get." It just happens automatically in almost real time.

iPhones integrate directly with iPhoto on OSX so you can use that to deal with Photos and Video. It offers to do that when you plug your Mac in Obviously you do your Music (and eBooks, and some video as well) through iTunes. I watched someone plug their iPhone in their computer, import a 1080p video directly into iPhoto from the iPhone, and then right click and send it to iMail as an email attachment. That kind of workflow is impossible with WP7 on Windows right now. User experience goes beyond that one specific device. It also includes how well the device works with other form-factors and applications therein.

There is iTunes Remote. There's integration with AppleTV. The only thing Microsoft has that's comparable is the XBox Companion App (since an XBox is roughly equivalent to an AppleTV in functionality esp when coupled with Zune/Media Center Connect therefore the phone functions as a remote as well, indirectly at least).

My point was simply the way their products work well together is a huge incentive for people to buy more Apple products once they've gotten one. Most of my friends who have iPhones, if not all of the, basically have every Apple product possible in their home (iMac, MacBook, iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV for most of them) because they like that.

Not gonna read the rest if this is how you're gonna start off. Not sure why you're questioning my understanding of the word integration. Sounds like you need a fatclue. Later.
So you've described the Apple version of SkyDrive. My photos automatically go there the instant I take the picture, nothing to do except click the shutter. I'm questioning your understanding because you stated "No, your reading comprehension is just failing you". Hasta la vista N8ter H8ter.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Skydrive resizes photos. PhotoStream doesn't. I didn't mention photostream. I was talking about the workflow of getting the photos to your PC, and it's optimized on OSX + iOS unlike Windows + WP7. PhotoStream does the same thing and the PhotoStream syncs on both Windows and OSX (Windows via the iCloud Control Panel). PhotoStream is superior. The iOS devices also do not resize images you upload to Social Networks (unless the Social Network imposes that).

Android devices can auto-upload images to the cloud without resizing as well. That is nothing special :p

Also, in response to this:

Dude, you like iOS - I see that.
I got a new Phone yesterday. It is not an iOS device even though I could comfortably afford one. I don't really see a point in getting an iOS device (had an iTouch just to test the OS out for a while) because the type of workflow possible in an All-Apple setup just isn't possible for me as a Windows user - that to me is the biggest benefit of Apple's ecosystem -> the size of it and how well their products work together... If I go into that ecosystem, it would mean ditching my Windows PC for a Mac and my XBox for an AppleTV as well. That's not an investment (or a change) that I'm willing to make right now. I don't feel I need it.

^ Note that has nothing to do with how good I think iOS is vs. WP7. It could be as bad as BB7 but with the type of workflow Apple has in their ecosystem I'd still buy it if I had a Mac, simple as that. Like I said, user experience for me go beyond simply one device. The entire workflow and cross-device integration comes into play for me. I may save a few taps on the WP7 OS but offloading the media and working with it on my PC pretty much overruns the time saved on the device. It's complicated

Plus, the iPhone cannot record video at 60 FPS, while the phone I got can, with great quality in HD. I like consolidating the number of devices I carry, not simply changing for the sake of change with no real benefits to it. I make choices on tangible and useful benefits, not simply preference or opinion. That is why I've used basically every smartphone platform out there extensively (except Symbian). I use what works best for me when I need it, not just cause someone told me so.

Last reply since this conversation is not going anywhere anytime soon.

The reason why I made that statement because you completely misunderstood what I wrote. That's why I quoted myself in my first response.

You still don't seem to have a clue what I'm talking about. You just want to argue and go off on tangents. You obviously haven't used an iPhone with a Mac, as well, so why are you even trying to debate about this.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Skydrive resizes photos. PhotoStream doesn't. I didn't mention photostream. I was talking about the workflow of getting the photos to your PC, and it's optimized on OSX + iOS unlike Windows + WP7. PhotoStream does the same thing and the PhotoStream syncs on both Windows and OSX (Windows via the iCloud Control Panel). PhotoStream is superior. The iOS devices also do not resize images you upload to Social Networks (unless the Social Network imposes that).

Android devices can auto-upload images to the cloud without resizing as well. That is nothing special :p

Also, in response to this:

I got a new Phone yesterday. It is not an iOS device even though I could comfortably afford one. I don't really see a point in getting an iOS device (had an iTouch just to test the OS out for a while) because the type of workflow possible in an All-Apple setup just isn't possible for me as a Windows user - that to me is the biggest benefit of Apple's ecosystem -> the size of it and how well their products work together... If I go into that ecosystem, it would mean ditching my Windows PC for a Mac and my XBox for an AppleTV as well. That's not an investment (or a change) that I'm willing to make right now. I don't feel I need it.

^ Note that has nothing to do with how good I think iOS is vs. WP7. It could be as bad as BB7 but with the type of workflow Apple has in their ecosystem I'd still buy it if I had a Mac, simple as that. Like I said, user experience for me go beyond simply one device. The entire workflow and cross-device integration comes into play for me. I may save a few taps on the WP7 OS but offloading the media and working with it on my PC pretty much overruns the time saved on the device. It's complicated :p

Plus, the iPhone cannot record video at 60 FPS, while the phone I got can, with great quality in HD. I like consolidating the number of devices I carry, not simply changing for the sake of change with no real benefits to it. I make choices on tangible and useful benefits, not simply preference or opinion. That is why I've used basically every smartphone platform out there extensively (except Symbian). I use what works best for me when I need it, not just cause someone told me so.

Last reply since this conversation is not going anywhere anytime soon.

The reason why I made that statement because you completely misunderstood what I wrote. That's why I quoted myself in my first response.

You still don't seem to have a clue what I'm talking about. You just want to argue and go off on tangents. You obviously haven't used an iPhone with a Mac, as well, so why are you even trying to debate about this.
I guess you didn't read the part about my having a Mac desktop and a 4S. You don't have to reply, I prefer Windows (whatever iteration) because I depend on it for MY work. My home computer will always be OSX because it's what I am willing to spend my money on. Why don't you start a thread about your new phone, tell us what it's features and benefits are. I'm married to my wife, not a mobile OS, so I'm always willing to try new products if it makes my life simpler. I thought webOS was the greatest, but we know how that turned out. I haven't really played with ICS much, but from what I've read, they've really copied a lot of webOS features so who knows?

BTW, don't take life too seriously. Having a heart attack at 46 taught me that lesson REAL good. Peace, love and soul.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I guess you didn't read the part about my having a Mac desktop and a 4S. You don't have to reply, I prefer Windows (whatever iteration) because I depend on it for MY work. My home computer will always be OSX because it's what I am willing to spend my money on. Why don't you start a thread about your new phone, tell us what it's features and benefits are. I'm married to my wife, not a mobile OS, so I'm always willing to try new products if it makes my life simpler. I thought webOS was the greatest, but we know how that turned out. I haven't really played with ICS much, but from what I've read, they've really copied a lot of webOS features so who knows?

BTW, don't take life too seriously. Having a heart attack at 46 taught me that lesson REAL good. Peace, love and soul.

Yet you don't know that iCloud keeps documents in Sync and that iPhoto integrates with Apple Devices and allows direct importing of Photos/Videos, and that iTunes handles eBooks/Music/Videos among other things.

Those weren't rhetorical questions. You were asking them with the assumption that much of that wasn't possible since you can't do it on a Windows Machine with an iDevice.

I don't take life seriously at all, and I don't care about yours.

I find it quite an oxymoron that you're now trying to simmer it down and give a sermon about not being married to a mobile OS yet your last post ended with N8ter H8ter.

I don't care who copies whom. I care what works for me. I think that's a fundamental difference in thinking between me and a lot of the people here. They care about platform loyalty and B.S. like that. I don't. In fact if copying makes their product the superior choice for me, then I surely hope they do whatever they can to copy whatever needs to be copied to make it happen. I'm not going to get the patent/copyright suite, they are. I just get to be more efficient with my devices.

And while it's nice to say don't take life seriously, some of us here actually use our devices for REAL work. They aren't toys, they're tools to us. Having the best possible devices with the best possible capabilities for what we do is important. For example, a phone without a decent screen pixel density (at last a qHD screen) and a great camera is as useless as dirt to me at this point in time.

This thread isn't about my phone. I can PM that but I won't pollute the thread further.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
"Sounds like you need a fatclue" seems like a good enough reason for the N8ter H8ter response. BTW, I don't give a fat baby's a$$ about you or your life either. Advice is free, you take it if it suits you. Mods, I'm done here, over and out.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey N8ter, why are you wasting everyone time *****ing in these forums. There is nothing anyone here can do or help with your vision of a perfect mobile device. Why don't you contact Google (oh , nevermind) or Apple, or Microsoft and tell all those piss poor dumb asses what they are doing wrong. And while you are on a roll, compel Samsung, LG, Sony, Acer, HTC and Nokia (choice is good) to straighten up and release that quint core, QSXGA phone, so that you have something that might come close to meeting your needs. At least for now.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb