Tango - Why?

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So, when Tango was announced, it maked sense. There were no devices below 200?, and Tango was supposed to compete with the lower-end Android devices, bringing devices with similar prices, below 200?. It was a good strategy.

But what do we have now? The Nokia Lumia 610 is found at 199? in some markets, 249? in another and in my country it goes all the way up to 279?, which is only 40? less than the Lumia 710. And then we have the Samsung Omnia M, which is going to cost an outrageous 299?. 299? for a 4GB Tango device.

Mango devices like the Acer Allegro can be found for only 179?! And in some markets, like the UK, the Lumia 710 is cheaper than the 610!

Tango devices can't run Angry Birds, PES 2012, or Skype. While it's possible that those applications will be updated to run on Tango (there's absolutely no reason why Angry Birds shouldn't work), the question is when? When Windows Phone 8 is released?

Why would informed buyers go for a Tango device when they can get a cheaper Mango device? This is only going to hurt Windows Phone with uninformed buyers buying Tango devices, it makes no sense having the Lumia 610 and the Omnia M being sold at those prices.

Right now the whole Tango situation is absurd, and it's only hurting Windows Phone. I'd like to hear your opinion and ask WPCentral to get an answer from Microsoft, we can't just stand idly by looking at the current situation.

If WPCentral cares about Windows Phone, you must try to get an answer!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
hey Seketh,

First of all Bro , you CANNOT compare prices for different regions,
In my country , just changing province will change the COST of the phone/price plan or you will pay the same for different Functions/usage. this is because of marketing and people mentality changes from place to place.

Second , about the APPS , or the WP8 update = we have ZERO info on that. and if a game/app requires more then 250MB then forget it on the LOW END phones.

regarding Skype , tango phones use to have access to it but they removed it cause they couldn't support it 100% ( they talk about it in the last podcast here:http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-central-143-samsung-returns-new-apps-skype )

The Nokia 610: Full price 384.99$ | On 3 year term: no price
The Nokia 800: Full price 529.99$ | on 3 year term: $49.99*
The Nokia 900: Full price 474.99$ | On 3 year term: $99.99

Does are the full prices of the Nokia's in my country , seems right , accept the Nokia 800 does seem to be a little overpriced.

Last edited:

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not talking just about Lumia devices, I'm talking about the Windows Phone market in general, and not just between some countries but globally.

Don't you have Mango devices cheaper than the Lumia 610 in your country?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not talking just about Lumia devices, I'm talking about the Windows Phone market in general, and not just between some countries but globally.

Don't you have Mango devices cheaper than the Lumia 610 in your country?

only 1-2 FIRST GEN phones ( focus , and maybe 1 more) are cheaper cause they are EOL ( end of life ) and 2 years old!!!

and the rest of them are all EOL and or out of stock so you cant get them.

FYI tango phones have all the same functions as the MANGO phones , just a few more limitation on apps/games.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Also keep in mind that these are new in box prices while the others are used. Lots of people are skeptical about used devices and would just rather get them brand new.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think the problem WP faces with putting out a budget device is how are they going to differenciate it from the regular or high end phones. If you allow the manufacturer to run with 256mb and it can do everything a 512mb can, why would they even build phones with 512mb? I think they may be going for the method some app devs are employing - example: Parcel Tracker (you're limited to tracking 3 packages for free version and more for the paid version). So maybe they're using the Marketplace as a way to differenciate and add more value to non-Tango devices. If you want to use premium apps like Skype and Angry Birds, then pay more for access. If you don't care for said apps, then you can get a cheaper device.

Is that wrong? I don't think so. You get a lower priced phone that performs just as well as the more expensive WP devices. But this is all assuming that the said apps will continue not work on Tango.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
honestly its probably not worth it unless that's ALL your carrier has.

I still think will see the BIG picture once WP8 comes out , and I feel liek they rushed out the LOW end phones just to *create* that Entry level market, but in reality its almost NOT worth it, less specs same price.(more or less)

what we might see with WP8 and low-end VS High-end phones.

- dual-core VS single-core maybe?
- HD VS SD screens ,
- camera quality ..
- Limited Ecosystem? cross platform?
- APP/Game restriction as well ,

probably.

Last edited:

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Apps/Games Tango devices can't run (from wmpoweruser):

Sid Meier;s Pirates
PES 2012
NFS Hot Pursuit
Let?s Golf 2
Angry Birds
Plant vs Zombies
Deer Hunter 3D
Monopoly
Navigon
Nokia City Lens
Navigon
Iberia Navigation GPS Tuner
Navigation Europe GPS Tuner
Brain ByeBye
Hi Dodonpac maximum
NFS: Hot Pursuit
Fragger
Bug Village
MiniSquadron
Doodle God
Spider Jack
Lets Golf 2
Orbital
Collapse
IonBallEX
Cro-Mag Rally
Beards & Beaks
Tentacles
Hydro Thunder GO
Fable: Coin Golf
Brain Challenge HD
Halo Waypoint
Assassin?s Creed
Glyder: Worlds of Adventure
The Harvest
The Sims 3
Rocket Riot
Bejeweled Live

It's quite a long list, unexpected even? Why Microsoft? Why Tango?

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't think we should be calling them tango devices as all WP handsets will be running Tango at some point. That whole naming structure is weird. In any event I think the Lumia 610 is a mistake. It never should have been made - if there was someway for Nokia to scrap it immediately they should.

I agree with the path of Windows Phone in almost every way except for the 610... it needs to burn in a fire and never been seen again.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't think we should be calling them tango devices as all WP handsets will be running Tango at some point. That whole naming structure is weird. In any event I think the Lumia 610 is a mistake. It never should have been made - if there was someway for Nokia to scrap it immediately they should.

I agree with the path of Windows Phone in almost every way except for the 610... it needs to burn in a fire and never been seen again.

I'm pretty sure I remember blogs stating that there would be 2 types of Tango. One for the lower end phones and the other for the regular update path.

If they can get the pricing fixed and under control, then I'm all for these lower end devices that have less features and don't have access to premium apps. Provided that it's also cheaper to own (ie cheaper/zero data plans). I think there is still a big market for people who don't need all these apps, but still may want basic (but rich) features like email, better browsers, and a great and easy to use OS.

As an example, I added my parents to my family plan on ATT. My wife and I handed down our Samsung Focuses to them, but can't use them without having to add an expensive data plan, which they will hardly ever use. They have no interest in Angry Birds or any other game. They just want a nice looking touch phone that just works, without data. Are we supposed to tell people like them not to get a Windows Phone? Is it fair that they're stuck with flipphones or qwerty phones? I don't think so.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I remember blogs stating that there would be 2 types of Tango. One for the lower end phones and the other for the regular update path.

If they can get the pricing fixed and under control, then I'm all for these lower end devices that have less features and don't have access to premium apps. Provided that it's also cheaper to own (ie cheaper/zero data plans). I think there is still a big market for people who don't need all these apps, but still may want basic (but rich) features like email, better browsers, and a great and easy to use OS.

As an example, I added my parents to my family plan on ATT. My wife and I handed down our Samsung Focuses to them, but can't use them without having to add an expensive data plan, which they will hardly ever use. They have no interest in Angry Birds or any other game. They just want a nice looking touch phone that just works, without data. Are we supposed to tell people like them not to get a Windows Phone? Is it fair that they're stuck with flipphones or qwerty phones? I don't think so.

I agree with you but the difference in price for 256mb and 512mb is what - a dollar? I fully understand the price point issue but Nokia should try to save money in other places. They could offer the full experience on these low end devices and they should aim for that.

The 610 is essentially like offering two different mobile OSes. Maybe they should change the OS to WPLite or something like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss