Talk to me about HDMI and Windows Phone

mjrshred

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok I love my WP Focus. Not many problems with it, solid OS, Intuitive interface. BUT where my GF's Iphone 4S gets me is the HDMI adapter. Great thing. I will be moving to an area that wont have DSL hookup until a year after we move in but we have full 4G service there. Instead of paying for satellite(all that's available) we can use her phone to hook to the TV and HULU and Netflix all we want. Is there any available adapter on any of the WP phones that can do this? If not I might look to get a IPhone when my contracts up. : /

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
No there's not, though if your paying to tether why not cancel the tethering plan and use that money to pay for satellite? Unless you're not paying for tethering then I hope ATt doesn't catch you.

mjrshred

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a tethering plan on my contract (at&t) So i can't really do anything about that. Unless wp 8 releases soon and supports it. Looks like Microsoft is playing catch-up again.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Ok I love my WP Focus. Not many problems with it, solid OS, Intuitive interface. BUT where my GF's Iphone 4S gets me is the HDMI adapter. Great thing. I will be moving to an area that wont have DSL hookup until a year after we move in but we have full 4G service there. Instead of paying for satellite(all that's available) we can use her phone to hook to the TV and HULU and Netflix all we want. Is there any available adapter on any of the WP phones that can do this? If not I might look to get a IPhone when my contracts up. : /

Do you have any idea how much data you are going use tethering HULU and NetFlix from a phone?

mjrshred

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a tethering added and I have a unlimited Data plan. I'm not looking for tethering. I just want to know if there is a adapter cable for HDMI out on windows like there is for I-phone

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
not right now , I think i read that the WP8 will have it doh ( but not your focus) but not sure on that ether.

only other thing you could maybe do is sync with your media player on your PC and Xbox ( if u have one )

you can also enable tethering on your phone if you haven't yet and if its supported.
Download movies then sync it to your Xbox or media center on TV ( if you have one )

tethering:

Access Code: ##634#

1: Adding Tethering *#7284#
In this menu you can enable Tethering for your WP

aside from that you might need to wait an other 6-7months for a WP8 ( better then 1year :) )
and not get the Iphone and just use your g-f's in the meantime

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
isn't Build conference coming up next month? w/ the way they phrase wp8 i think there will be alot of accessory coming up (since its got the same kernal as win8 and all...)

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if you have read any of the latest news on the unlimited AT&T data plan. Several people have sued AT&T successfully for throttling their unlimited data plan after using 2GB of data. AT&T has since stated that unlimited plans will be throttled after using 3GB of 3G/4G or 5GB of LTE. Just so you know. :cool:

mjrshred

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
not right now , I think i read that the WP8 will have it doh ( but not your focus) but not sure on that ether.

only other thing you could maybe do is sync with your media player on your PC and Xbox ( if u have one )

you can also enable tethering on your phone if you haven't yet and if its supported.
Download movies then sync it to your Xbox or media center on TV ( if you have one )

tethering:

Access Code: ##634#

1: Adding Tethering *#7284#
In this menu you can enable Tethering for your WP

aside from that you might need to wait an other 6-7months for a WP8 ( better then 1year :) )
and not get the Iphone and just use your g-f's in the meantime

so I did this and installed the drivers but how do I set up my computer to tether through the phone? I still have windows xp

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well basicly yo should be able to simply plug the phone in your PC then enable it from your phone it self.

honestly im not 100% sure but normaly thats how its done , check your WIFI or CELLULAR section in the settings of your phone and you should be able to turn it on there.

isn't Build conference coming up next month? w/ the way they phrase wp8 i think there will be alot of accessory coming up (since its got the same kernal as win8 and all...)

yeah we should (following Ms`s Update Trend) get news on WP8 at the next big event witch is arround June 20-25th followed up with the Emulator and Beta a couple weeks to a month later.

Last edited:

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a tethering plan on my contract (at&t) So i can't really do anything about that. Unless wp 8 releases soon and supports it. Looks like Microsoft is playing catch-up again.
WP is most definitely playing catch-up. There are no two ways around that fact. What is there is excellent, but there certainly is a lot missing. My Windows Mobile phone from 2009 was more feature-rich. However, if you're creative and patient there are usually workarounds to the various shortcomings. I unofficially tether my LG Quantum and I've heard of others doing the same for the Focus. Look around on these forums and you'll probably find more info on that.

mjrshred

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
WP is most definitely playing catch-up. There are no two ways around that fact. What is there is excellent, but there certainly is a lot missing. My Windows Mobile phone from 2009 was more feature-rich. However, if you're creative and patient there are usually workarounds to the various shortcomings. I unofficially tether my LG Quantum and I've heard of others doing the same for the Focus. Look around on these forums and you'll probably find more info on that.

yes but won't this unofficial tethering get me banned from at&t if caught?

I also agree the windows phone is a top notch OS. But you have to admit it sucks that Pandora wont make an app for it. And there is such a lack of accessories like HDMI support, the docks, radios, etc the little things that make an iPhone more convenient. Yeah there are work around for some stuff but some of us just want to use our phones without needing the workarounds.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
This is a classic on paper it sounds like a good idea in practice you will almost certainly fall foul of any unlimited use small print. I can see you using hundreds GB of data deploying this method and it will definately fall foul of the acceptable use policy, which on a phone is probably measured in the 10s of GB not the Hundreds.

For the occasional viewing this would be great though.

mjrshred

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
You could try something like this :
Samsung MHL Micro USB to HDMI Adapter - $14.95

or you can just get an Xbox which has Hulu and Netflix apps. Doing either though will cause significant data usage on AT&T's network and will probably get you throttled within a day.
Also there's no need to change this thread into a complaints thread.

well like I said. I am moving to a new house this fall and dsl will not be available until a year after we move in. All that I'll have is

Will that cord work with the Samsung focus?

I'm not complaining. I just wish Microsoft would be more proactive in creating an ecosystem around their phone. Cause in the end, there's a lot of cooler stuff for the iPhone.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the cap for unlimited data on AT&T 3GB, or 5GB for LTE devices?

Not a cap but you will get throttled at 3GB of usage on 3G/HSPA+ and 5GB of usage on LTE. Streaming videos you will blow through that amount of usage very quickly and then be looking at near dial up speeds for the rest of your billing cycle.

IMO a better idea would be to see if you can get an LTE MiFi hotspot card from Verizon and use that connection to stream through one of your phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo