xbox live gamertag - what is associated with it?

Skyandsun

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a WLID that I use for my xbox. I created a new WLID for my phone as my xbox WLID is a slightly silly 'gamer' name.

I pressed the Xbox live tile on my new windows phone and it automatically set up a new gamertag for me, as my phone WLID was not previously associated with any gamertag.

I am now stuck with this gamertag for the next 30 days, as far as I can tell - I can't move it to a 'dummy' WLID (so i could then move my proper Xbox gamertag to my phone WLID) as I am told I have to wait 30 days after creating a gamertag to be able to move it. I don't really want to create a new WLID and start over, as I chose my current phone WLID very carefully. Xbox live support told me the 30 day limit is set in stone and they can't waive it.

This is very frustrating and not my fault -the gamertag was automatically created as soon as I hit the xbox live button on the phone, basically.

What I want to know is, what can I use on the phone and keep if/when I switch gamertags in 30 days time? I'm assuming if I download games to the phone and play them, saved progress (and even the installed games?) will disappear if I switch gamertags. Is this the case? I notice that clicking 'games marketplace' in the Xbox live app takes me to the games marketplace, where some games have 'xbox live' written across their icon, and others don't. Is it that the 'xbox live' tagged games are linked to my gamertag, but the games without that tag on their icon I can use safely and retain (including saved progress) if I switch gamertags?

What about apps that aren't games - are they linked to the WLID (which I want to keep on the phone), or the gamertag (which I will switch)? When browsing the app marketplace and buying things - is that done through the gamertag, or through the WLID?

Anything else I should be aware of.. ?

Thanks. Can't say I'm impressed with Microsoft on this issue.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a WLID that I use for my xbox. I created a new WLID for my phone as my xbox WLID is a slightly silly 'gamer' name.

I pressed the Xbox live tile on my new windows phone and it automatically set up a new gamertag for me, as my phone WLID was not previously associated with any gamertag.

I am now stuck with this gamertag for the next 30 days, as far as I can tell - I can't move it to a 'dummy' WLID (so i could then move my proper Xbox gamertag to my phone WLID) as I am told I have to wait 30 days after creating a gamertag to be able to move it. I don't really want to create a new WLID and start over, as I chose my current phone WLID very carefully. Xbox live support told me the 30 day limit is set in stone and they can't waive it.

This is very frustrating and not my fault -the gamertag was automatically created as soon as I hit the xbox live button on the phone, basically.

What I want to know is, what can I use on the phone and keep if/when I switch gamertags in 30 days time? I'm assuming if I download games to the phone and play them, saved progress (and even the installed games?) will disappear if I switch gamertags. Is this the case? I notice that clicking 'games marketplace' in the Xbox live app takes me to the games marketplace, where some games have 'xbox live' written across their icon, and others don't. Is it that the 'xbox live' tagged games are linked to my gamertag, but the games without that tag on their icon I can use safely and retain (including saved progress) if I switch gamertags?

What about apps that aren't games - are they linked to the WLID (which I want to keep on the phone), or the gamertag (which I will switch)? When browsing the app marketplace and buying things - is that done through the gamertag, or through the WLID?

Anything else I should be aware of.. ?

Thanks. Can't say I'm impressed with Microsoft on this issue.

Everything is associated with your LIVE ID not the gamertag.

I'm not totally sure of the policy on changing them anymore. It used to be before WP7 it cost 800 MS points to change your gamertag unless it was deemed offensive by LIVE support.

But if you change your gamertag you won't lose anything; everything will update on Microsoft's end to reflect the new gamertag across all services with the same LIVE ID.

IamVortigaunt

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried linking your old gamertag to the new live id? Log into your live account under the newly created name and click on your name in the upper right. There should be an option called Account. Under "Other options" at the bottom, there should be a "Linked IDs" option.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Simplify you life. Sign into your phone using the same email account that you have associated with your Xbox gamertag. Yes that will require a hard reset of your phone.

Skyandsun

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Everything is associated with your LIVE ID not the gamertag.

I'm not totally sure of the policy on changing them anymore. It used to be before WP7 it cost 800 MS points to change your gamertag unless it was deemed offensive by LIVE support.

But if you change your gamertag you won't lose anything; everything will update on Microsoft's end to reflect the new gamertag across all services with the same LIVE ID.

Thanks - it's p[ossible to rename my gamertag, yes. But my point is I have two LIVE ids. LIVE id 1 is linked to my Xbox live gamertag (gamertag 1); LIVE id 2 is the one I want to keep using on my phone. Because I hadn't moved gamertag 1 to LIVE id 2, Microsoft created a NEW gamertag, gamertag 2, to be associated with LIVE id 2. I can't move gamertag 1 to LIVE id 2 because now there is already gamertag 2 associated with it. And I can't move gamertag 2 to a 'dummy' LIVE id, to make space for gamertag 1, as Microsoft says I have to wait 30 days after creating a gamertag to be able to move it.

So I was wondering what I can do with my phone while waiting for 30 days to elapse, when I will shift my gamertag to a dummy account and move my xboxlive gamertag to my windows phone. I can see there are some games tagged 'xbox live' that are probably forever associated with the gamertag used to purchase them and play them. But are apps linked to the gamertag - or are they linked to the LIVE id? basically, what moves with the gamertag, and what doesn't? (because the gamertag is eventually going to be moved to a dummy LIVE id that I won't use again).

I have linked my two LIVE id accounts, by the way - but I don't see how this affects my phone - is there a way to use my linked LIVE id for the xbox live app on the phone?

Thanks...

Skyandsun

May 22, 2012
Visit site

I have tried this. Unfortunately I cannot do this as it says I already have a gamertag associated with my new ID, which was inadvertently created on my Windows Phone when I pressed the Xbox Live app. So I have to 'make room' for my old (& active) gamertag by shifting the one inadvertantly created to a random, dummy ID. But I cannot do that until 30 days have passed since creating the gamer tag - I get an error message with words to that effect, basically.

Nor do I want to start fresh with another completely new windows live ID - I chose the one I used on my new phone carefully.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Having gone through the move/rename a GamerTag twice now for other people, I can say it's a horrible, completely idiotic system. If MS would simply put in a simple confirmation question just one time when you log into the xbox.com website or in the XBL tile on their phone, hours of agony could be avoided. But no.

Dumbest system I've ever seen a Fortune 50 company think up.

Skyandsun

May 22, 2012
Visit site
It is a stupidly frustrating system - and I have to wait 30 days to set it right, from what I can see.

However, my original question remains - what activity on my phone is linked to the gamertag, and what is linked to the broader Live ID? So if I keep my Live ID but move my gamertag to another Live ID (so I can move my real xbox gamertag to my phone Live ID) - what will I lose? Saved games, apps...? Or is it simply the games that are specifically marked as 'xbox live' that are tied into the gamerid? Some games are not marked 'xbox live', as well - hopefully those are tied to the broader Live ID rather than the gamertag?

Thanks.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming the question is, what is associated with the WLID and whats associated with the XBLGT.

Everything runs on WLID aside from Xbox Live associated apps/games. So if you go into the market place and you purchase an app or download an app, that is associated with your WLID has nothing to do with your XBLGT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99