Microsoft lied!

Aeon2k

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
anyway I should have expected this sort of answer around here.
If you elaborate why it's (for you) "horrid to use with the mouse" and why you "think it's going to flop when it comes to the desktop users" in detail people wouldn't accuse you of trolling. Just stating that you don't like something with only a couple general phrases is not a starting point of any discussion.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
the gestures like swiping apps away, etc...

Then why are you here?
If you elaborate why it's (for you) "horrid to use with the mouse" and why you "think it's going to flop when it comes to the desktop users" in detail people wouldn't accuse you of trolling. Just stating that you don't like something with only a couple general phrases is not a starting point of any discussion.

Him and Tekhna are the biggest trolls around here so far.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

djdtox, this is one of those rare times that I actually (somewhat) agree with you.

I found the Consumer Preview sort of awkward with a mouse. It wasn't the gestures like swiping down to close an app (because it's not that different from Windows 7 where you can drag a window to the top to make it full screen, or to the sides to compare documents) that bothered me, but instead the hot corners thing. It especially annoyed me how it worked on multiple monitors. I'd always shoot past a corner and onto the next monitor (though I heard that's been fixed here?).

I guess the removal of the Start Menu also felt weird. When I wanted to shut down my computer, I'd go to the bottom left hand corner to open a Start Menu (that wasn't there) upon which I'd remember that I'd have to actually bring my cursor to the bottom right hand corner to bring up that little menu on the side.

Furthermore, I think I missed the list of recent programs in the Start Menu. I also didn't like the way the "all apps" screen was laid out--It took me longer than I would have liked to find a program (I suppose because the layout was different). I suppose I could get used to it, but I don't want to have to get used to something. It's why I'm not a big fan of Android (so the solution is customize, but I don't like spending so much time customizing), and why I prefer WP7, and to a lesser extent, iOS. Anyway, I suppose the solution is to use the search (like I would often do on Mac) to open a program.

I also found myself using desktop mode a lot because I didn't like how some of the Metro apps worked. I did submit feedback and hopefully this version is better. Hopefully I'll get around to trying it this weekend.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
horrible to use with a mouse...

I think it is going to flop when it comes to desktop users.

Awesome on a tablet I bet though

Facepalm!!!!!!!!

Microsoft should stop spending 9.5 billion in research and just hire you because your voice speaks for all of the Windows users.

Zumanity

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Installed the RP on my Dell Latitude D630 (I think i got this one in 2001). It works pretty great! I had Windows XP on it previously and it was extremely slow. Windows 8 works fast and fluid.

I do notice that one thing I cannot do is snap metro apps/desktop apps. I'm guessing that's due to res/hardware.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
djdtox, this is one of those rare times that I actually (somewhat) agree with you.

I found the Consumer Preview sort of awkward with a mouse. It wasn't the gestures like swiping down to close an app (because it's not that different from Windows 7 where you can drag a window to the top to make it full screen, or to the sides to compare documents) that bothered me, but instead the hot corners thing. It especially annoyed me how it worked on multiple monitors. I'd always shoot past a corner and onto the next monitor (though I heard that's been fixed here?).

I guess the removal of the Start Menu also felt weird. When I wanted to shut down my computer, I'd go to the bottom left hand corner to open a Start Menu (that wasn't there) upon which I'd remember that I'd have to actually bring my cursor to the bottom right hand corner to bring up that little menu on the side.

Furthermore, I think I missed the list of recent programs in the Start Menu. I also didn't like the way the "all apps" screen was laid out--It took me longer than I would have liked to find a program (I suppose because the layout was different). I suppose I could get used to it, but I don't want to have to get used to something. It's why I'm not a big fan of Android (so the solution is customize, but I don't like spending so much time customizing), and why I prefer WP7, and to a lesser extent, iOS. Anyway, I suppose the solution is to use the search (like I would often do on Mac) to open a program.

I also found myself using desktop mode a lot because I didn't like how some of the Metro apps worked. I did submit feedback and hopefully this version is better. Hopefully I'll get around to trying it this weekend.

Exactly...

Finally a voice of reason, not just eric12451 saying troll, troll troll like he does in every thread.

It isn't just me feeling this way.

Go read reviews on it, or analysts predictions.

Whatever though, I don't understand how me saying it would be great on a tablet but didn't translate so well to a desktop os turns into such a spazzfest

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Exactly...
Whatever though, I don't understand how me saying it would be great on a tablet but didn't translate so well to a desktop os turns into such a spazzfest

because you didn't elaborate on WHAT you felt was wrong! even when asked for examples you just complained that people were being mean to you. You are welcome to your opinion but, if you make a statement like:
"horrible to use with a mouse...

I think it is going to flop when it comes to desktop users."

...without providing and supporting specific examples of what is so wrong (for you) then you ARE going to get called out on it. welcome to the internet dude.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

I don't swipe away apps, ever.. Why should I?

And about my answer... I'm sorry I don't dislike it. I've used it since DP and have found it to be better than W7. I really like the idea of a start-view where all information is available to me from one click on the keyboard.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
horrible to use with a mouse...

I think it is going to flop when it comes to desktop users.

Awesome on a tablet I bet though

I have to agree with this one. I spent some time with W8 with a mouse, track pad, eraser mouse, and keyboard. Not a very enjoyable experience for me. I really, really, really wanted to have touch screen, or a multi-touch track pad with gestures.

I spent most of my time in the "desktop" app, since that's where 99% of my apps were at. Some of the Metro apps were really beautiful and a pleasure to use! Others... eh. I hate to say it, but I got really frustrated with the Store app and trying to find the search feature. Finally figured out, it wasn't in the app itself, but in the O/S.... Arrrrghhh!!!

I think they hired to many programers that used to work for Apple for this one. :confused:

And just a FYI... I've been a Windows user since Windows 1.0. Yep, you read correctly.. version 1.0. I've been through every version of Windows for the PC that MS has put out. This is ground breaking... but a serious learning curve comparatively to other versions.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The experience with a keyboard and mouse hasn't been completed yet. Just takes some getting used to, no need to say it's going to flop.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't care for it either on a desktop with a keyboard and mouse. If the final version isn't better I'll skip it and wait for Windows 9, which should address issues, like how 7 fixed the Vista issues.

Microsoft seems to release a good OS every other release. A crummy release is usually followed by an excellent one, and vice-versa.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

wbeckle

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
I think they borrowed some bad ideas from WP7:
Messaging doesn't stay connected in the background and Twitter feed doesn't update in the background.

Everything opens full screen. I have a widescreen monitor so lots of wasted space on each side of the window. On the phone this will be fine though.

Can't change the background.

Music is a very limited player, they should have leveraged Media Center.

Basic status information like date & time isn't easy to get at anymore.

Too many dead "live" tiles. Just colored squares that give no info.

I still like it but probably because its new and different. I look forward to seeing what they do with it next.

Depauville Kid

May 28, 2012
Visit site
FTR anything you don't agree with =/= trolling....

You're just uptight and self indulgent.

It is not good with a mouse, it is awkward IMO ( orgot, people aren't entitled to that around here).

I said it would be good on a tablet. Go cry elsewhere

I did use the consumer preview for awhile and found that it was incredibly slow to navigate with just a track pad. My hand was cramping and it was so frustrating to have to grab onto the horizontal bar and side scroll so much. I even tried increasing the cursor speed to no avail.

So, I competely agree with djdtox. I am so excited for Windows 8, but they are going to have to help out laptop users a bit with the navigation component. Touchscreen I bet works great, and even a mouse I found worked much better. But, a laptop trackpad was very slow and almost painful to use. On the last release, I gave it 3 days of heavy use and had to go back to Windows 7. I'm thinking of trying this new Release Preview to see if it's better.

Navigation aside, I love the metro look and the apps on the desktop. Everything looks and seems like a huge improvement. They just got to improve the laptop navigation a bit... that's all.

Depauville Kid

May 28, 2012
Visit site
For me the navigation with a trackpad was slow because of the horizontal scrolling. Also, with Win7, it takes one fast swipe on the trackpad to move the cursor from one side of my screen to the other. With the consumer preview, it was like 4 swipes to move the cursor all the way across the screen. As I said, I tried to increase the cursor speed, but it didn't help at all. All that swiping just to move the cursor a few inches began to make my hand cramp up.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Everything opens full screen. I have a widescreen monitor so lots of wasted space on each side of the window. On the phone this will be fine though.

You can pin programs to the left and right too. :)

Can't change the background.

Yes you can. :)

Music is a very limited player, they should have leveraged Media Center.

There's always alternative music-players and the Media Center is there too if you want to use that. But the basic version that's installed on first boot is very limited, I agree.

Basic status information like date & time isn't easy to get at anymore.

Put your mousecursor in the upper right corner, or swipe in from the right. Accessible everywhere. :)

Too many dead "live" tiles. Just colored squares that give no info.

Not sure I follow you on this one, got an example? :)

Not trying to be a "Your opinion is invalid because it's not like mine"-type of guy... But I'm eager to know what faults other people see. :)

greensea

May 29, 2012
Visit site
using it now on a laptop mainly in desktop mode. metro works well with two finger scroll though when set at slowest speed.

some weird things:

no log out button in desktop mode. have to jump to metro
live tiles are just being pretty instead of informative and to the point. show the picture and headline at the same time and jump to another story or something.
maybe toast notification for emails accounts.
maybe bring back the recent program section in search view.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo