Need a Push

Gammans

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I'm new to this forum and need some help to push me to a Windows Phone. I am trying to decide between a Nokia Lumia 710 and a Huawei Ascend G300, both of which are ?100, but everytime I go and buy the Nokia the sales assistants seem to do their best to talk me out of the Windows phone and push me to Android (I currently have an HTC legend, so am familiar with Android). I keep getting the lack of Apps and lack of customisation as reasons to stick with Android.

Having played the the Huawei, it seems a fairly fast phone for the price and for a budget phone gets good reviews, but I really like the Lumia. I know the number of apps will increase over time so I'm not so concerned about that. However, does anyone know if there are many apps to keep 2 and a half year old children happy during times of boredom?

My other concern is that MS won't upgrade the phone to Windows 8, but I guess at ?100 it's not the end of the world if they don't, but i would be a little upset at not getting the upgrade. The Huawei Ascend G300 is getting the ICS upgrade.

Thanks for your help

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You can check the WP marketplace yourself at Windows Phone | Cell Phones, Mobile Downloads, Mobile Apps, and More | Windows Phone 7, browse and read reviews and see if it fits your needs. I would also suggest getting a good hands on with the 710 and see if the hardware works for you, and also again check the MP to see if the apps you want are available.

As for WP8, no one knows for sure but one thing you can count on is Nokia will continue to improve their own WP apps and there are other exclusives to look forward to. For the price it'll be a nice phone to own.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
You'd be more familiar if you go for the Huawei, and more satisfied if you go for the Lumia :)

In all seriousness. You may have _heard_ there's a lack of apps, but IMHO that's just not true anymore. WP is closing in on 100,000 apps in the marketplace rapidly, and I wouldn't be afraid to slap myself in the forehead if there's anyone that can prove that there aren't apps for everything now. It might have been true 6 months ago when there were like 40-50k apps, but seriously... How many duplicate apps do you need to do one thing? (Ios and Android-stores are filled with duplicates, pdf-files, tunes and free/demo-versions of the same app... WP Marketplace doesn't count these "apps").

There's thousands of games for small children too. My girlfriends little sister loves using my WP, and it's simple enough for her to use too.

Nobody can tell you if yours, or anyones phone will be upgraded to WP8... But it will get updates. Will the Huawei ever recieve one update after ICS?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Go for the Nokia, any budget WP is bound to be better performing than any budget or high end Android for that matter. Don't listen to ignorant salesman,apps aren't everything, IN FACT most of the things people get apps for are already built into WP.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Get the Lumia try it for couple of weeks if you don't like it take it back. Be sure to check with the carrier so you know what there return policy is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos