So...how do you..

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
.. attach a PDF to an email?
I furiously wet myself today when the job I applied to yesterday fired me an email saying, they do not accept cloud documents due to their network security infrastructure and that I would not be considered if I don't respond to the email with the form and CV by 5pm today (closing date)

I was not at work or near the computer, was on the motorway and good hour and a half away from home. I thought, well I've got office, I will do it straight away. To my utter horror, I couldn't attach those files from my Office hub or Skydrive app or Adobe app. I am fully unlocked Titan user. I thought there must be some way to grab these PDFs and send them off. But no, no no, there wasn't, there isn't. I was so furious at myself, annoyed and stressed out on the motorway that one hour journey back home seemed like a lifetime!

How do you guys attach PDFs to your email? If the phone is fully unlocked surely I should find my PDFs stored somewhere? How has Windows Phone survived for nearly 20 months boasting 100,000 apps when they dont have a PDF document attachment facility to emails?!

I wasn't able to attach the files, ended up re-sharing the links apologising and explaining them exactly how dumb my phone made me feel and will have to try my luck tomorrow to see if I can still get the job, if not, I will be pretty much jobless come July :(
I wish my love for Windows Phone could negate my disappointment at this hour.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Yikes, that's a scary situation! I honestly don't know how to attach a PDF. Never tried. I've only attached pictures so far.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
honestly i dont think you can directly right now :(

the only way i found is if you forward the e-mail you got it on .. or you share it VIA SKYDRIVE and grab it on a PC or an other cellphone.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I am wondering how come not a single developer has had this idea of creating some sort of pdf (even open source) reader that allows attachment to the emails! Is it something within the APIs that prevents 3rd party sharing of PDFs?

I see the idea forums flooded with app ideas, market flooding with fart apps and naked woman apps, even they have 3rd party apps but not a PDF reader? :(

I will keep my fingers crossed for now and hope that someone in their HR goes beyond their job and grab my files off the cloud. I've also used my laptop to attach it to the email now and send it off, but it is 8 pm already and I have missed my deadline. This Windows Phone better be worth me being jobless! :excl:

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You know...this is the one thing that I thought Microsoft wouldn't miss. Though I haven't been in a do or die situation like this...it's still frustrating.:mad:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Blame adobe for not adding that feature into the app. Most apps allow you to share the material within them via email and will even attach them as such. The blame is totally on Adobe for this one for creating a buggy app that hasn't been updated since before the original release. Same goes for their windows mobile app.

And blame that job for not being able to accept that there's more than one way to send and receive files. Going through SkyDrive is just as safe as attaching to an email, sometimes email attachments are even automatically uploaded to SkyDrive if the web interface is used.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Surely if you told them you were unable to they'd give you some sort of break. I mean wow.

On topic, it's silly not to include, but what can you do.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
maybe go to a local library and use the computer?

It isn't about me not having a laptop at home, it is about being able to attach a document that isn't made in microsoft word (btw you can save pdfs using word too now!) to an email!

Blame adobe for not adding that feature into the app. Most apps allow you to share the material within them via email and will even attach them as such. The blame is totally on Adobe for this one for creating a buggy app that hasn't been updated since before the original release. Same goes for their windows mobile app.

And blame that job for not being able to accept that there's more than one way to send and receive files. Going through SkyDrive is just as safe as attaching to an email, sometimes email attachments are even automatically uploaded to SkyDrive if the web interface is used.

I know for most drawbacks of WP there are plenty of workarounds, but instead of trying to revolutionise a company that might pay for my bread and butter isn't the way I expect it to be. Surely if we play the blame game Abode is to blame and probably even abused to my heart's content to not updating this app since day 1! BUT.. if MSFT can promote so many other 3rd party apps how hard can it be to get a 3rd party app that opens PDFs and then lets you attach them to the emails? I am all for promoting cloud sharing and cloud storage but in such cases when 95% of the world might not be ready for clouds, it does come in handy to have an option to attach pdfs. When we can attach office documents, why not PDFs? - that baffles me.

Surely if you told them you were unable to they'd give you some sort of break. I mean wow.

On topic, it's silly not to include, but what can you do.

I did call them this morning to make sure it was 'ok' but turns out they (I quote!) "do not find it appropriate to use unsecure cloud services as documents aren't scanned for viruses that way" Now that left me speechless and all I could say was thank you for your consideration in case you change your mind.

On topic, I am hoping to contact a few devs on XDA who have been working on Android, to see if they could 'hack' or make a pdf reader with sharing option. Don't know if we've got any big names in this forum who might want to put something similar in place.

Forwarding doesn't include the file in question. I found out the hard way.
Absolutely correct! I had to find that in a very hard way too :(

Open browser, login to the webmail and send email from there?
I can send email using my Outlook with plenty of ease. It isn't about being unable to send an email. It is about being unable to attach that pdf to my email. When I do it via web, I have an error about 'upgrade your flash' which I know I can't because WP don't support flash. When I do via Skydrive app or Outlook, I can only send them link to the document but not the real doc!

I won't say it is WP's fault at all here, because I am 100% for cloud sharing as I've benefited so much till yesterday from cloud sharing. I love it! I have introduced so many co-workers in my old office to Skydrive and they like it too. But some businesses still don't want to move forward sadly :(

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I won't say it is WP's fault at all here, because I am 100% for cloud sharing as I've benefited so much till yesterday from cloud sharing. I love it! I have introduced so many co-workers in my old office to Skydrive and they like it too. But some businesses still don't want to move forward sadly :(

It isn't. Microsoft, Google and Apple are moving to Cloud services. If those business don't support cloud sharing in any way, then they're screwed, especially with Windows 8 users, for example, the Mail app even suggests sending the files through Skydrive!

But stiil, I don't get it, if there's any cloud service that can considered secure it's Skydrive. Do they also consider Office 365 to be "unsecure"? Seriously, do you know what cloud services they consider secure?

I for one would not like to work in a place with such... obvious retardation.

EDIT: But anyway, I'll say that PDF support in Windows Phone is pretty poor, and I blame Adobe, their PDF app hasn't been updated since Windows Phone was launched. I expect Microsoft to do the same thing in Windows Phone 8 that they did with Windows 8: Have built-in PDF reader support. (Windows 8 has an app called Windows Reader).

Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It isn't. Microsoft, Google and Apple are moving to Cloud services. If those business don't support cloud sharing in any way, then they're screwed, especially with Windows 8 users, for exemple, the Mail app even suggests sending the files throught Skydrive!

But stiil, I don't get it, if there's any cloud service that can considered secure it's Skydrive. Do they also consider Office 365 to be "unsecure"? Seriously, do you know what cloud services they consider secure?

I for one would not like to work in a place with such... obvious retardation.

That was the exact question I wanted to ask, I was that furious this morning when I called their HR. However, since I wanted to sound all nice and cozy and make sure they *might* have a heart change, I didn't ask. Trust me, if I don't get a call letter, I am writing to the company and one of the questions just for the fun of it will be - What is a secure cloud?

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
That was the exact question I wanted to ask, I was that furious this morning when I called their HR. However, since I wanted to sound all nice and cozy and make sure they *might* have a heart change, I didn't ask. Trust me, if I don't get a call letter, I am writing to the company and one of the questions just for the fun of it will be - What is a secure cloud?

I think you should! This is a perfect example of stagnation in the technological environment of a company.

It's like those companies that still stick with IE6, even though the financial and overall operational costs are greater than the cost of upgrading to IE9. It only hurts their business.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I think you should! This is a perfect example of stagnation in the technological environment of a company.

It's like those companies that still stick with IE6, even though the financial and overall operational costs are greater than the cost of upgrading to IE9. It only hurts their business.

I feel for the OP and I definitely think Windows Phone is crippled when it comes to email attachments (and it's Microsoft's fault for not allowing you to browse to files, not Adobe's).

I don't know what kind of company this is, but their security policy is probably in place to prevent a) people from transferring work-related files outside of the office without any kind of audit trail and/or b) people from downloading documents that have not been virus scanned. This was their original reason and, though it's pretty lame that they wouldn't circumvent it ONE TIME, it is not unreasonable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)