The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Well, according to german magazine WirtschaftsWoche anyways. The author claims he has 2 independent sources, one higher-up MSFT exec and one from Nokia(both anonymous of course). According to this article, there will only be a 'feature update', 7.6 or 7.7 for current phones, but no Aplollo due to hardware limitations ("because WP8 uses a different chipset"). The MSFT person is quoted as follows: "When people have the same fuctionality on their phones, they dont care about the version-number of the OS".

Here is the link (unfortunately in german):

Wirtschaftswoche - Michael Kroker: Exklusiv: Microsoft plant Lsung fr Update-Problem bei Windows Phone Kroker's Look @ IT

WirtschaftsWoche is a kind of a well regarded magazine in Germany, but this sounds rather like BS. Still think i wont get WP8 in my 710, guessing they would have announced that by now.
    06-07-2012 04:49 PM
    if this is the same report as on WMPoweruser then all first gen windows phone will get an update based on the windows rt kernel, and will bring most of the functionality of WP8 to first gen devices without making the phones laggy. I would be happy with that considering I have a trophy and will be available for an update next July by the time WP8 is in full force. I can sympathize with people who just bought a lumia 800/900 but as long as it's a comprehensive update I don't think you can be too mad.
    snowmutt likes this.
    06-07-2012 05:24 PM
    I'm sure some of the more powerful devices would be able to power the Apollo update? Just my opinion
    06-07-2012 05:28 PM
    I'm hoping for the WP brand's sake that current devices, especially the recent Nokias will get the upgrade. Plenty of people will be pissed if they don't get it.

I'm not sure what the deal is with "getting the same functionalities but not Apollo" although it seems like a similar rumor to this: Rumor: All Windows Phones will get Apollo, Tango update situation is "muddy" and more juicy rumors | Windows Phone Daily.

Apparently current devices will get a "lite" version of Apollo with the same functionalities, Apollo being a "subset" of Windows RT (W8 for tablets) and thus incompatible with current hardware. I'm ok with this, as it means current devices will get Apollo goodness without the bigger footprint, which will make sure the WP experience stays smooth on these less powerful devices. That said, I'll probably get me an Apollo Nokia anyways. ;)

Can't wait to know what's up on June 20th.
    06-07-2012 05:30 PM
    Another rumor? Lol, with all these rumors, you'd think this was an iPhone forum.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind as long as I get an update with most of the features and the NT kernel (so I won't be stuck with WP7 apps).
    snowmutt and Sparxy19 like this.
    06-07-2012 05:32 PM
    sure sounds like fragmentation to me
    06-07-2012 05:51 PM
    I agree, they need to try and keep it a uniform OS across devices in my opinion
    06-07-2012 05:57 PM
    I agree I think keeping all devices at the same level is the way to go

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    06-07-2012 06:23 PM
    I don't feel it was ever very realistic to think early first gen phones would be updated. I can understand if you just bought a new lumia but we are going to have to see what happens. If the update gives us useful updates that's all that really matters. It would be fragmentation, but hardly.
    06-07-2012 06:34 PM
    Not just hardly. Think for example Skype - one version for WP7 w/o background thread, one version for WP8 with background capability. And its reasonable to assume that this will not be the only wp8 feature unavailable to wp7. This is probably worse than not getting wp8 on current phones.
    06-07-2012 06:39 PM
    sure sounds like fragmentation to me
    Are we seriously going to have this same argument every time whenever a new Apollo rumor pops up?
    06-07-2012 06:57 PM
    Yeah exactly, apps will have to be different for different versions of the OS, I would rather have a slightly slower phone with the full Apollo OS

Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express. Twitter.com/WinCentral
    06-07-2012 07:14 PM
    Maybe wait 2 weeks till the official announcement?
    06-07-2012 07:23 PM
    I'm hoping for the WP brand's sake that current devices, especially the recent Nokias will get the upgrade. Plenty of people will be pissed if they don't get it.

I'm not sure what the deal is with "getting the same functionalities but not Apollo" although it seems like a similar rumor to this: Rumor: All Windows Phones will get Apollo, Tango update situation is "muddy" and more juicy rumors | Windows Phone Daily.

Apparently current devices will get a "lite" version of Apollo with the same functionalities, Apollo being a "subset" of Windows RT (W8 for tablets) and thus incompatible with current hardware. I'm ok with this, as it means current devices will get Apollo goodness without the bigger footprint, which will make sure the WP experience stays smooth on these less powerful devices. That said, I'll probably get me an Apollo Nokia anyways. ;)

Can't wait to know what's up on June 20th.
    The problem is the Lumia devices on CE will be orphaned after the 4th quarter of this year. There is no way an executive at Microsoft is going to suggest paying for development of the CE platform when WinRT is the future. Maybe it is time to get as much money for my Lumia 900 as possible and find a new platform.
    06-07-2012 09:20 PM
    You betcha I am going to be pissed if my L900 does not get the Apollo update that will; add an NFC chip, add a processor and double my resolution. Come on people.

To make everyone happy, maybe Microsoft can call both updates Apollo 8.0. That shouldn't be very confusing.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    snowmutt likes this.
    06-07-2012 09:36 PM
    At this point, there are so many back and forth rumors I don't see the purpose in heeding any of them. We literally have rumors for EVERY single possibility. We have anonymous sources claiming no phones will update and all phones will update and only WP 7.5 phones will update, and, now, all phones will receive a partial update.

The rumor season for Windows Phone 8 has reached an unprecedented level of ridiculousness. Never from my experience have there been so many different, completely conflicting rumors. (Rumors for Android/iPhone/etc. tend to usually go the same direction and not have so many "creative" variants.)

The part I hate most is that one of these sources is bound to be right now that we've literally received rumors covering all the bases. That one source is bound to rub it in our faces when it is proven correct when it knew nothing at all. -.-
    Last edited by Sentimentgx4; 06-07-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    alpinestars1z and wolf1891 like this.
    06-07-2012 09:53 PM
    At this point, there are so many back and forth rumors I don't see the purpose in heeding any of them. We literally have rumors for EVERY single possibility. We have anonymous sources claiming no phones will update and all phones will update and only WP 7.5 phones will update, and, now, all phones will receive a partial update.

The rumor season for Windows Phone 8 has reached an unprecedented level of ridiculousness. Never from my experience have there been so many different, completely conflicting rumors. (Rumors for Android/iPhone/etc. tend to usually go the same direction and not have so many "creative" variants.)

The part I hate most is that one of these sources is bound to be right now that we've literally received rumors covering all the bases. That one source is bound to rub it in our faces when it is proven correct when it knew nothing at all. -.-
    My thoughts exactly.
    06-07-2012 10:22 PM
    Until I hear it from the horses mouth, I'll take it with a grain of salt. Honestly though, I think I would be okay with this situation. As long as I get the software functionality that my phone's hardware supports AND apps are available to both Apollo and WP7 devices, I'll be fine. We obviously don't need all the added hardware support and what not of Apollo. I'd rather receive Apollo lite and have my phone continue to run buttery smooth than MS shoe horn full blown Apollo on a device that really can't handle it and have a crappy experience (a la Android).
    vp710 likes this.
    06-07-2012 10:39 PM
    You betcha I am going to be pissed if my L900 does not get the Apollo update that will; add an NFC chip, add a processor and double my resolution. Come on people.

To make everyone happy, maybe Microsoft can call both updates Apollo 8.0. That shouldn't be very confusing.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    This is basically what apple does... IOS 4 doesn't have facetime on the 3gs, or Multitasking on the 3g but still has the same version number :)

and to add to this IOS 5 doesn't have siri on the 3gs or iphone 4.
    vp710 likes this.
    06-07-2012 11:03 PM
    When I put ios5 on my 3GS, it killed it. Slow as heck, drove me nuts. The phone didn't have enough horse power under the hood.

I will be perfectly happy to get an update that is suited for my 900.
    vp710 likes this.
    06-07-2012 11:25 PM
    When I put ios5 on my 3GS, it killed it. Slow as heck, drove me nuts. The phone didn't have enough horse power under the hood.

I will be perfectly happy to get an update that is suited for my 900.
    I wonder what iOS 6 will be like on the iPhone 4.
    06-07-2012 11:31 PM
    I think the first generation WP like T8788,hd7 only can use the no-full WP8. Perhaps NOKIA 800 can update WP8
    06-08-2012 03:46 AM
    As long as I see something, I don't care. And I could give two craps what any forum member wants to try and hold over people's heads about how this is also fragmentation and "told you so's". Glad it makes you feel good about yourself to rub in a point. But it feels even better to not have any f***s given about who's wrong or right :)
    06-08-2012 06:26 AM
    It will not be fragmented if this rumor is true. The key statement for this is where it was claimed that there will be AN update and that it will provide WP8 app compatibility.

This is far better, IMO, than what happens with Android and also better than an update that hinders the smooth performance we are used to on WP7.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    06-08-2012 06:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD