What if Samsung buys controlling interest of Nokia?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
No doubt, it would mean the end of WP. Samsung doesn't care for WP now, after spending billions they will just turn everything to android and forget WP completely. Microsoft would be fools to let this happen without a fight.

I pretty much agree with this. It seems that WP is really only going to have one horse in the stable, Nokia. HTC and Samsung don't seem to care, and do not appear to want to care about WP. If Samsung purchases Nokia, I don't think it will be good for WP.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of which, the likelyhood of such a deal being approved in the EU or the US is remote, given the size/marketshare of Samsung and the size/marketshare of Nokia.

I'm surprised it took so long for that to come up. It's usually a no-no for the #1 phone maker (Samsung) to buy the #2 phone maker (Nokia) because of the sheer number of phones both companies sell.
It was already mentioned :)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Id much rather See Nokia do some sorta of partnership with RIM and continue pushing WP with RIM patent and technologies :p

that's be much cooler! BBM on WP+ better Business set up + BB key bored? much more appealing then getting Samsungs AMOLED HD.. :happy:

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
With all the patents issues between Apple and Samsung's (and HTC's) Android implementation, I actually think that Samsung (and HTC) are looking to alternate OSes. The only thing holding them back is that a third platform has yet to show serious long-term potential.

I think companies like what they're seeing from Microsoft. If Samsung is looking to buy Nokia, it won't be the end of WP. On the contrary; I think it's a sign that Samsung wants to go all in on WP.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
i dont think it'll ever happen, at least i don't think eu and itc would let it through... these two are in #1 and #2 spot for mobile phone, it's going to end up like AT&T and TMobile merger imo if they ever tried

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
i dont think it'll ever happen, at least i don't think eu and itc would let it through... these two are in #1 and #2 spot for mobile phone, it's going to end up like AT&T and TMobile merger imo if they ever tried

AT&T merger with TMobile at least made more sense. #2 with a dying #4 that wants to get out of the business anyway.

It would be more like a Verzion and AT&T merger.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Actually MS is smart they have exclusive with Nokia. without having to dish out billions. Keep in mind when you buy a major company like Nokia your getting everything from factories to employees. Nokia is a company that has been around for many, many years. Whoever buy's Nokia if ever, will also be responsible for that big old Pension fund. so it's not just the buy cost of the company from shareholders but it's also taking on billions in added cost down the road. The same thing is going to happen to Google and Motorola this coming year the numbers are not going to look that great and it's going to have a negative effect on Google's stock price and revenue out look.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If something like that happened, I don't think anything would change for quite a few years.
1. Samsung isn't in the business of losing money and
2. There are existing contracts Nokia has that cannot be abridged because controlling interests have shifted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs