Microsoft has a big opportunity

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Obviously we are waiting for June 20th for the big news on the future of WP. I hope they have something big planned. I was just eyeing the competition (iMore.com) and I was surprised to not seeing all the iFanboys jumping for joy on the news coming out about iOS 6. The comments (ignoring the trolls) seems that the new features are liked but lacking any real bang. Also, some of the big features will be leaving non-4s and future users in the dust.

If even the iFanboys aren't going crazy, that is leaving Microsoft a chance to gain marketplace. I know plenty of iPhone users who aren't emotionally attached and would switch if they felt they could do all the same things. I am hoping Apollo has a few tricks up its sleeves!

UPDATE: Just read on their forms that Apple's stock dropped after the keynote speeches. Apparently nobody likes what they heard. Come on Microsoft! This is slowly becoming your chance to push the door open!

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
And so it begins, very soon the public will wake up and realize that the real functionality is on windows and not the same old grid of icons iPhone and stolen code Android.

I'm ready for the Microsoft Revolution.

threedog

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Not to kill your buzz but Apple's stock always goes down a bit after keynotes. It happened after the 4S so it doesn't really mean anything.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Not to kill your buzz but Apple's stock always goes down a bit after keynotes. It happened after the 4S so it doesn't really mean anything.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Fair enough. I didn't do any research on the past! That said, I did post this originally not even knowing about the stock. Its more about the lack of super happy Apple fans that surprises me.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough. I didn't do any research on the past! That said, I did post this originally not even knowing about the stock. Its more about the lack of super happy Apple fans that surprises me.

I've witnessed this on most tech blogs. This keynote seems to have been underwhelming for most iFans. I can't wait for Apollo and Win8!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
This came from a guy who has been on macrumors.com forums since 2008:

"This is exactly my situation. I was jailbroken before iOS5 came out and finally, after a few weeks when no jailbreak of iOS5 was forthcoming, I decided to update to 5 as I was quite tempted. In this case, I have no temptation whatsoever (I do have just an iPhone 4).

Assuming this is a proper beta (ie essentially feature-complete) this is also having an affect on my future purchase decision of an iPhone 5 (I am leaning against it). The only aspect that is giving me pause is the outstanding Apple Store service and replacement policy which I know I will not get when buying an Android phone (the HTX One X and not the Galaxy SIII is what I am leaning towards).

What this update has done is piqued my curiosity in what Windows Phone 8 will bring."

I'm seeing a lot of people starting to think about using Android instead of iOS now. This is why Microsoft needs to jump hard right now so more people at least mention WP when deciding future phone.

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
my own definition for big opportunity when Microsoft manage to WOW's windows phone users android users BB users and ios users on its big developers day

june 20 really really really important day for Microsoft, Nokia and windows phone users

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree that this is a big opportunity for MS. Not only on Windows Phone though.

MS will need to push the features of Windows 8 tablets. And there needs to be some spectacular hardware available for tablets and laptops at launch. That Asus Taichi looks amazing. Same with the Lenovo(?) Yoga.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree that this is a big opportunity for MS. Not only on Windows Phone though.

MS will need to push the features of Windows 8 tablets. And there needs to be some spectacular hardware available for tablets and laptops at launch. That Asus Taichi looks amazing. Same with the Lenovo(?) Yoga.

Exactly. Why would I buy an iPad and a MacBook Pro when I can have the equivalent of both (and more) with a great Windows environment for half the price on fantastic hardware? I'm really excited about what's coming up.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there wasn't much to see. I remember when Siri was released thinking that it would be huge. This time, they keynote started with Siri talking to the audience like the first Mac did in 1984.

The Lost 1984 Video: young Steve Jobs introduces the Macintosh - YouTube

All I could think of was, "In 30 years this is all they've done?" That Siri can now open apps and give sports scores I thought, "You mean it couldn't do that before?" What a joke. I think eventually people will figure out the snow job that's been going on for the past 5 years and Apple will fall back to its former self -- a niche market for wealthy clueless people.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if the June 20th even for Windows Phone will be better than Apple's event.

There might be some cool things. But as an "event", Apple tends to throw really good ones. And since the June 20th event is developer focused as opposed to being consumer focused, it probably won't have as much pizzazz.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I am less worried about it being fantasy and more about features announced. I hope to hear that WP will be opened some to allow for certain apps and features that just aren't possible right now. Not wild west like Android though.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if the June 20th even for Windows Phone will be better than Apple's event.

i don't know about that, WWDC is developer conference as well and with MIX nixed, there is only the Build conference, i think we will see a different Build conference compared to previous years

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
i don't know about that, WWDC is developer conference as well and with MIX nixed, there is only the Build conference, i think we will see a different Build conference compared to previous years

Well, last year's BUILD conference was pretty epic. But that likely won't be for another few months.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
iFanboys? I think it makes any forum looks extremely childish when resorting to tactics as calling people troll or grouping them into a certain ****** circle. It's BEYOND ridiculous. We don't like it when those few negative forum members do it, we shouldn't as well. When I go on iMore's forum, it seems VERY peaceful. If there's any arguing, worrying over the competition, or griping about what their phones DON'T have, I barely see it compared to the rest of the mobile nations forums. This is just really getting old

Mr Bigs

May 1, 2012
Visit site
And so it begins, very soon the public will wake up and realize that the real functionality is on windows and not the same old grid of icons iPhone and stolen code Android.

I'm ready for the Microsoft Revolution.
Android is no more stolen code than original Windows is.:rolleyes:

LowRentTechGuy

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if it's the same thing, but I read that at least Apollo will allow multiple resolutions, that is a start I guess, but I want windows 8 and WP8 to allow for total home integration. Phone, computer, Xbox, seamlessly. But that might be asking too much.:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720