Well they did it....just go ahead and throw the ecosystem away.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Stealth update for XBL on iOS adds all the Companion functionality we had exclusive.

Let's just go ahead and release Office and remove any other reasons for people to come to Windows Phone.

Bag of tools...is anyone running Microsoft?

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Well Microsoft is also trying to promote XBOX and this is a great way to entice a large number of people to use XBOX even more. Besides, it's not a feature that is going to make most people drop iOS for wp anyway.

Oh and they already released a one note application for Android that works pretty well. That combined with quickoffice is more than I need as far as Office apps go. One note was the only thing missing before.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Eh, this doesn't really bother me at all. As long as you have it on your Windows Phone, who cares if its on other platforms? I'm more upset by the apps on iOS that WP DOESN'T have.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Its obvious that Windows Phone is no longer going to be the center of MS's mobile world, and Xbox, Office and Windows are the three main properties at Microsoft and everything else is geared towards supporting those divisions. Dont forget Smartglass is also going to be on all platforms, and at this point apart from Office Mobile there are no exclusive MS features on WP; we know Xbox live gaming is coming to ios and android at some point. Clearly this is going to be the standard formula going forward and WP is not seen as being as vital to MS's future plans as it was previously.

While it will be argued that no one was going to switch to WP for these exclusives they most certainly wont consider it when they can get the same functionality on their own devices. IMO the goal of growing WP's marketshare significantly is now something that MS has abandoned and its just there to enable MS to say they have a presence in the mobile space.

The companion app is fairly useless and will get replaced by SmartGlass this fall.

Again negating any advantage for Windows Phone.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
So I take it the OP doesn't like this idea. I see it like this give them a taste of what they could have then watch them come running to Windows Phone 8

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So I take it the OP doesn't like this idea. I see it like this give them a taste of what they could have then watch them come running to Windows Phone 8

They'll have no reason to since they can have the same features and more on their current platform. Or am I missing something, cos I dont see how it brings anyone over to Windows Phone in any way. Eg, if apple released siri on WP, would that make it less or more likely for a happy WP user to switch to an ios device?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
they'll have no reason to since they can have the same features and more on their current platform. Or am i missing something, cos i dont see how it brings anyone over to windows phone in any way. Eg, if apple released siri on wp, would that make it less or more likely for a happy wp user to switch to an ios device?

exactly.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
They'll have no reason to since they can have the same features and more on their current platform. Or am I missing something, cos I dont see how it brings anyone over to Windows Phone in any way. Eg, if apple released siri on WP, would that make it less or more likely for a happy WP user to switch to an ios device?

Well, I disagree, in a sense. If all apps were available on all platforms, then people would chose their OS based on a few of the following options :

Variety of devices
Build Quality
Price Point
Smoothness/reliability of OS
Ease of use
"Bonus features" (Free turn by turn nav? Music/Video services? etc)

That way, if all apps are on all devices, you wouldn't get someone going "I need an iOS device or Android phone for Instagram".

Now, I see your point - if MS takes its exclusives and puts it on every device, will anyone ever switch to a Windows Phone? It's like - if MS took Halo and ported it to Playstation, would anyone on Sony's "side" buy the next Xbox?

But you also have to think back to the basis of the whole argument - money. Microsoft is going to make more money by porting certain apps to platforms that have 100 million US users - they have to face facts that Windows Phone doesn't have the market share right now to justify "exclusivity". Once they get the iOS user/Android user hooked on something like SmartGlass, they can make it exclusive a couple of generations from now, and force them to switch. And if they can get those iOS/Android users to, maybe not buy a Windows Phone, but buy an Xbox, they still win. They get them integrated into the "ecosystem" and hope, over time, they'll have enough invested that they migrate ALL their devices (phone, tablet, and TV) to their platforms.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I fail to see how the companion app would persuade someone to come to WP. I don't even use the app myself. I think it's "cool", but more of a hassle to use and eats up battery life.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Again negating any advantage for Windows Phone.

But a huge advantage for Microsoft and the Xbox. Games sell smartphones, but the Xbox brand is not selling Windows Phone. Microsoft would foolish to ride out that sinking ship. Furthermore, the smartphone market =/= the console market. Gaming on a console is a major investment. Did you want to play Halo 3 upon release? That's $400 for a brand new Xbox 360 plus $60 per game. Want to play Fruit Ninja? Grab any smartphone on the market and download it for free (or .99 cents on WP). Gamers aren't lining up to play the same game on a Windows Phone that they can get on any phone, and developers aren't interested in creating exclusive content for an ecosystem with only 2-3% market share. However, they will be interested in something like SmartGlass which will allow developers to tap into the Xbox, iOS, WP, and Android market, and at the same time bringing more people into the Microsoft ecosystem.

Or... Microsoft could continue their winning strategy of selling Fruit Ninja with "Xbox Live" above the icon.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Before they released on other platforms, I heard many friends say "I wish I had XBL on my phone" Those were people that might have switched when their contract was up. Removed that now. I still hear people say they wish they had REAL office on their non windows devices. If Microsoft leaks that out to other platforms it is game over, just stop WP development.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well, I disagree, in a sense. If all apps were available on all platforms, then people would chose their OS based on a few of the following options :

Variety of devices
Build Quality
Price Point
Smoothness/reliability of OS
Ease of use
"Bonus features" (Free turn by turn nav? Music/Video services? etc)

That way, if all apps are on all devices, you wouldn't get someone going "I need an iOS device or Android phone for Instagram".

Now, I see your point - if MS takes its exclusives and puts it on every device, will anyone ever switch to a Windows Phone? It's like - if MS took Halo and ported it to Playstation, would anyone on Sony's "side" buy the next Xbox?

But you also have to think back to the basis of the whole argument - money. Microsoft is going to make more money by porting certain apps to platforms that have 100 million US users - they have to face facts that Windows Phone doesn't have the market share right now to justify "exclusivity". Once they get the iOS user/Android user hooked on something like SmartGlass, they can make it exclusive a couple of generations from now, and force them to switch. And if they can get those iOS/Android users to, maybe not buy a Windows Phone, but buy an Xbox, they still win. They get them integrated into the "ecosystem" and hope, over time, they'll have enough invested that they migrate ALL their devices (phone, tablet, and TV) to their platforms.

But a huge advantage for Microsoft and the Xbox. Games sell smartphones, but the Xbox brand is not selling Windows Phone. Microsoft would foolish to ride out that sinking ship. Furthermore, the smartphone market =/= the console market. Gaming on a console is a major investment. Did you want to play Halo 3 upon release? That's $400 for a brand new Xbox 360 plus $60 per game. Want to play Fruit Ninja? Grab any smartphone on the market and download it for free (or .99 cents on WP). Gamers aren't lining up to play the same game on a Windows Phone that they can get on any phone, and developers aren't interested in creating exclusive content for an ecosystem with only 2-3% market share. However, they will be interested in something like SmartGlass which will allow developers to tap into the Xbox, iOS, WP, and Android market, and at the same time bringing more people into the Microsoft ecosystem.

Or... Microsoft could continue their winning strategy of selling Fruit Ninja with "Xbox Live" above the icon.

You are both right, and basically confirm my thoughts that WP is the sacrificial lamb to Xbox. And this is exactly my point, the same thing is keeping MS from releasing Office for the ipad, because once they do that, with all the apps and functionaly, accessories and marketshare it has, would any average user even give a second thought to a Windows 8 tablet? No, because there would be no need.

With WP, its obviously nowhere near the status of Office but the point remains, if you give away all its exclusive features, who will buy it? And the result of that is, the marketshare continues in the single figures, devs dont target the platform (cross platform play with the Xbox), users dont buy it, and it continues in a vicious cycle. So yes, Microsoft wins but I cant see how in any way benefits or contributes to the growth of WP which is needed for it to be considered a major player and subsequently have access to all the apps that are always claimed to be missing.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
There may be a few people who select a mobile platform based on this or that app, but most people base their decision on whether or not they like the way the OS works, feels, and looks.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Before they released on other platforms, I heard many friends say "I wish I had XBL on my phone" Those were people that might have switched when their contract was up. Removed that now. I still hear people say they wish they had REAL office on their non windows devices. If Microsoft leaks that out to other platforms it is game over, just stop WP development.

Except Microsoft can't make a sound business decision because a small amount of your friends would like Xbox Live on their phone. Plus, imagine their dismay when they realize that they're still not getting Xbox Live on their phone, just a fairly useless companion app.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

Please don't lie to yourselves. People don't switch platforms specifically for apps. Many people left iOS because because it was getting stale and many left Android because it was annoying and buggy. Then they started listing the apps to convince themselves to make the leap, which they were going to do anyway. If you're happy with Android, you're not going to say "Quickoffice sucks. I'm switching to WP so I can get MS Office on my phone." No, they simply say "Quickiffice does what I need and if I need full use of MS Office, I'll just use my PC."

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Except Microsoft can't make a sound business decision because a small amount of your friends would like Xbox Live on their phone. Plus, imagine their dismay when they realize that they're still not getting Xbox Live on their phone, just a fairly useless companion app.

Not so useless, try setting a beacon from your WP. And it has every other feature available on WP, except from achievements.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Please don't lie to yourselves. People don't switch platforms specifically for apps. Many people left iOS because because it was getting stale and many left Android because it was annoying and buggy. Then they started listing the apps to convince themselves to make the leap, which they were going to do anyway. If you're happy with Android, you're not going to say "Quickoffice sucks. I'm switching to WP so I can get MS Office on my phone." No, they simply say "Quickiffice does what I need and if I need full use of MS Office, I'll just use my PC."

Almost every pro review that is favouorable to WP ends up with the reviewer saying they cant switch to WP because this or that app is missing. The reverse can also be true, problem in WP's case is it lacks so many other apps already one app wont do it - yet. But the fact remains, this is one less reason for anyone considering a switch to do so.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
With WP, its obviously nowhere near the status of Office but the point remains, if you give away all its exclusive features, who will buy it? And the result of that is, the marketshare continues in the single figures, devs dont target the platform (cross platform play with the Xbox), users dont buy it, and it continues in a vicious cycle. So yes, Microsoft wins but I cant see how in any way benefits or contributes to the growth of WP which is needed for it to be considered a major player and subsequently have access to all the apps that are always claimed to be missing.

I assume you live in the US - I do as well. I think we have the wrong viewpoint, as Americans. Microsoft knows they can't win in this country for a long time, so they're competing where they know they can win - developing countries. I think their goal is not to dominate the US, but the globe, and their way of doing that is by getting devices as cheap as possible into the hands of the most people possible. We may not have the lead on apps in the US, but in, I dunno, Italy or North Africa, we might soon.

Also, its obvious Microsoft is trying to spread a whole design philosophy across their devices, focusing on style, smoothness, and reliability rather than simple app exclusivity. They can't win that battle, so why fight? They're going to get people to switch who like the design of the OS, and they're going to completely dominate the "low end" of the market - people worldwide who are getting smartphones for the first time.

I think MS is viewing this as a decade-long battle, not a few years. Think about it this way - you're a developer in the US with 150 million iPhone users. But worldwide you only have 300 million users. Microsoft has only 10 million Windows Phone users in the US, but 500 million worldwide. See my point? They're going to still develop for the most users of the OS, and since its EASY to port an app from Windows 8 to Windows Phone and vice-versa, they'll potentially double their exposure cross-platform.

So if Microsoft can get some iPhone and Android users to buy Xbox and get into the ecosystem now, by releasing a few apps to them, why wouldn't they? They're still going to win in the end, and Windows Phone will still be the 2nd or 3rd most popular OS on the planet eventually.

Remember, its not JUST SmartPhones where MS competes - its most electronics - and there's probably a WHOLE lot more money in controlling the living room than there is in controlling the mobile world. And since nobody has come up with a good solution to control the TV space yet, MS is focusing on that first. Makes sense from a purely profit/business standpoint.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077