Well they did it....just go ahead and throw the ecosystem away.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
This is my take on the situation.

I think its a good idea Microsoft is allowing exclusive features on other phones and here's why.

It gives a reason for a person that is heavily invested into Google or Apple's ecosystem to buy a Microsoft product (360) over its competitors (PS3, Wii).

The Xbox 360 can slowly penetrate an ecosystem (like a Trojan horse) which would hopefully lead that consumer into trying more MS products and Services.

For example if the person loves the Metro UI, Xbox Live experience he/she might give Windows 8 a chance. If the person loves Windows 8 he/she might give Windows Phone a chance etc. The more brand awareness the more potential sales in the future.

From a Windows user point of view. I have a Windows PC, Windows Phone, Xbox 360 there isn't a product on Apple's catalog worth buying everything I have flows and covers my lifestyle.

This is not the same for Apple and Google users who don't have a legit gaming console experience. The 360 is meant to penetrate those living rooms.

Now with the smart glass experience it gives another feature that separates the Xbox brand from its competitors. The more accessible the service is the better the entire ecosystem benefits.

Now for current Windows Users. Microsoft needs to make the experience better from what I can see Windows Phone users can earn achievements and play their games on the go. I don't think IOS and Android devices will do that.

As long as the Xbox Live experience is the best on a Windows device I am totally fine with it. Remember Xbox is a global brand it needs to cater to everybody.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, if that analogy didn't work for you, what about this one :

One of Microsoft's biggest money makers is Office. If they kept Office exclusive for Windows, and never released it on Mac, wouldn't that be a bigger push to keep people buying Windows based PCs? Why did they, and still do, release Office for Mac? Why are they going to be releasing Office for iPad - especially when they're about to push Windows 8 RT?

I guess we can agree to disagree, and you've made some compelling arguments, but we're just looking at it from different perspectives. You're looking at it purely from a Windows Phone point of view, and I'm looking at it from an entire Microsoft ecosystem. Windows Phone isn't going anywhere, I'm not at all worried about that. So if MS wants to release stuff multi-platform....well, ok. As long as I have it on my WP7 device, I'm good. I really don't think you have to worry about Microsoft "leaving" the mobile market.

I think you're worried that without WP7 growing, app selection will continue to be limited. And I think with the money invested by Microsoft and the integration Windows Phone will have with both Xbox and Win 8, WP7 will grow almost by default. We'll see in a couple of years who is right.

Office for Mac was a big tech history moment.

Microsoft introduced Office for Mac to help save Apple. Apple was dying, and Microsoft needed there to be a significant competitor in the market. They made a deal with Steve Jobs to save Apple. And in turn, the entire market grew, giving more for everyone.

Market share isn't as important as profits. It's better to contribute to the growth of the entire market as opposed to fighting for existing market share.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Market share isn't as important as profits. It's better to contribute to the growth of the entire market as opposed to fighting for existing market share.

In one phrase you've summed up what I've been trying to say throughout this whole thread.

Microsoft is doing what's best for them to MAKE MONEY - not push Windows Phone. They want WP to succeed, yes, but they want to make money even more. And if that means releasing apps on other platforms so they can sell more Xbox consoles and Xbox Live subscriptions, that's what they'll do.

They run their company like what it is, a business - its not a hobby, like it is for us.

Gemini Ace

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Point is, there were several bullet points that WP users could point to as reason we switched to WP in the first place. And with every app MS released that was exclusive, we felt like MS was supporting our decision. Now that they're porting everything to iOS, it's harder to win the argument with those smug iPhone users about what the superior OS is. And, yes, it's silly to have that argument in the first place because we're all using phones that are so advanced it would make our grandparents fill their Depends, but we all want our choice in choosing to back WP to mean something. Especially when we know that the OS is superior to its competitors in a lot of ways.

Bottom line is, the day I see MS allow Xbox Live and the whole achievement system to be ported to iOS and Android, is the day I lose faith completely. They can port Kinectimals all they want, but my achievements need to remain exclusive to the platform. Period.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I fully understand that MS wants the money in any way they can get it, but as an avid WP device user, I sure hope this turns over some profit that way they can further advance the WP devices and maybe spice up the research and development department. I don't want WP devices to be an afterthough that us folks pride ourselves on owning.

The mobile phone has become the center of so many people's lives that it would be (IMO) stupid to not put some hard focus on. BUT, I have faith that we aren't seeing the big picture behing what MS has in store. Convergence. Xbox, WP devices, Windows Tablets, and windows PC. They've explained it before, but since it hasn't actually happened yet, we might not appreciate it as it should be. Once this plan comes to fruition then I'm sure we wont even care about the exclusivity issue we are talking about now. Because Android and Apple devices probably wont have it like that. Now, if MS starts making equivalent ports to the other platforms, then I'm bailing lol.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
They'll have no reason to since they can have the same features and more on their current platform. Or am I missing something, cos I dont see how it brings anyone over to Windows Phone in any way. Eg, if apple released siri on WP, would that make it less or more likely for a happy WP user to switch to an ios device?

I can't take this thread seriously anymore after reading this. Siri is a joke. Have you actually used it? I get a kick out of watching people repeat themselves over and over just for it still be wrong at the end. Also, with few exceptions Siri would never be the deciding factor. How many people have you seen switch from iOS to WP because of XBox? Not many. Its usually plenty of other things that are mentioned. Silly thread is silly. /Exit stage left.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs