Elop: We aren?t getting the traction we prefer

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
It’s Not Just About Price: Nokia’s Elop Says They’re Not Getting The Retail Traction They “Prefer” | TechCrunch

It's funny to me that he's blaming the front line salespeople. I agree with that somewhat, but aside from the design, the 900 didn't exactly blow anyone away with their mediocre camera quality & last gen screen/specs. But that's more Microsoft's fault.

Also, whether you guys believe it or not, the lack of apps are a BIG deal to most people. I use basically all the platforms out there, and not having stuff on WP that I'm used to having on Android/iOS (like Instagram, Path, & higher quality apps overall that are updated frequently & not abandoned) is a real buzz kill.

IMO, both MS & Nokia are screwing up. But MS more than Nokia.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It’s Not Just About Price: Nokia’s Elop Says They’re Not Getting The Retail Traction They “Prefer” | TechCrunch

It's funny to me that he's blaming the front line salespeople. I agree with that somewhat, but aside from the design, the 900 didn't exactly blow anyone away with their mediocre camera quality & last gen screen/specs. But that's more Microsoft's fault.

Also, whether you guys believe it or not, the lack of apps are a BIG deal to most people. I use basically all the platforms out there, and not having stuff on WP that I'm used to having on Android/iOS (like Instagram, Path, & higher quality apps overall that are updated frequently & not abandoned) is a real buzz kill.

If you peruse these boards enough you'll note that most of us are waiting to see what develops with WP8 (Apollo). I gotta think most people are waiting as well, why get into a 2 year contract on WP7 if Apollo may bring what you're missing now? June 20th, or whatever date MS actually chooses, can't come soon enough

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
If you peruse these boards enough you'll note that most of us are waiting to see what develops with WP8 (Apollo). I gotta think most people are waiting as well, why get into a 2 year contract on WP7 if Apollo may bring what you're missing now? June 20th, or whatever date MS actually chooses, can't come soon enough

True & I agree with that somewhat. But these forums represent a VERY small percentage of overall customer base. So really, I'd wager the only people that even know about WP8 (or WP in general) are us & the geeks. Which is a problem.

But WP8 still doesn't take care of the perception issues & app problems. Its kinda like saying everything will be OK once Blackberry OS 10 gets here. All of these things needed to happen a year or two ago.

Jake_M

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't really mind the lack of apps if the browser works, but my god the browser can't do ****.

None of the websites usually recognize it as a mobile browser, and if they do the functionality is lost. I wouldn't mind not having apps if my browser could handle the main website, but it can't.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Idk, I'm in love with that rumored Nokia purview WP8 device. It just looks cool. I think the design of it will sell phones. Assuming it is real.

c6e4d996-81df-6c5e.jpg

And no, I don't want the pink or yellow versions.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Forgot where I read it, but more than 50% of all current Smartphone users, "have never downloaded an app". Another 10-20% have installed less than 5 (or something like that). So apps do matter, but only to a small percentage of users who actually use them.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Forgot where I read it, but more than 50% of all current Smartphone users, "have never downloaded an app". Another 10-20% have installed less than 5 (or something like that). So apps do matter, but only to a small percentage of users who actually use them.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

This is true. I can't find the article, but only a small percentage of app developers actually make money. Most break even or just flat out loose money.

On a side note, when I was on my Pre, I had a limited app catalogue and I had a few apps that I used all the time. Went to WP7 and had a better selection, kept seeing other apps I "needed". Now 7 months in to iOS, and I still mainly use the same few apps (iOS versions of course) that I used on my Pre. In the end, apps don't matter to me.

Although I do wish the tiles had more color options though. Like a blue that fades to a darker blue down the tile and/or let me select a.background picture for the tile view. That would make WPx look better IMHO.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
True & I agree with that somewhat. But these forums represent a VERY small percentage of overall customer base. So really, I'd wager the only people that even know about WP8 (or WP in general) are us & the geeks. Which is a problem.

But WP8 still doesn't take care of the perception issues & app problems. Its kinda like saying everything will be OK once Blackberry OS 10 gets here. All of these things needed to happen a year or two ago.
You just mentioned the biggest problem, we don't know what's coming with Apollo. I agree with jimski regarding the apps, outside of Droid geeks I don't think people really put that much stock into apps.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Iuno... I think the biggest problem as a whole is just coverage. What happened to AT&T pushing the Lumia device hard, making it as big as the iPhone? Out of all the carriers, I've seen T-Mobile and Spring pushing the HTC One series, and Verizon pushing the Motorola Droid series all over the place, and where is AT&T, pushing general advertisements about their service, an not really any one device. I think what Android did was have Verizon push all that marketing, then they exploded with the Motorola Droid, even though it wasn't as great as the iPhone at the time. AT&T had the chance, and didn't follow through with the Lumia 900. I don't think I've seen AT&T ever push a single device. I think Nokia would actually have better mindshare if they went with any other carrier than AT&T.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Well whatever the excuses people want to put out, unless something changes Nokia along with RIM will end up in the dustbin of history.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
No duh. Look the T-mobile 4G deal, free 4G phones this Saturday including
HTC One: awesome!
Galaxy 2: still pretty sweet
Nokia Lumia 710: wait what?

Might as well announce things like LGmytouch, that phone is selling great. Not to sound like a broken record but I being saying the same thing since we started, we need cool phones. Not the Lumia 900 isn't cutting it, maybe 2 years ago but not now.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure where you guys get the idea that apps don't mean anything to people.

Just one example. I have many friends who use instagram to share photos. Yes, there are alternatives, but to the average joe who uses instagram, those aren't viable alternatives. It's like saying 'no, we don't have a beach, but we have a sandbox in our backyard." It's just not the same.

...and yes, something needs to change. Maybe apollo will spark that change, but I'm getting very worried. "Mango will turn heads...lumia will turn heads...apollo will turn heads" is what we keep hearing, but the market share is absolutely awful, as is the interest level. I want this thing to succeed, the thought of using an iphone makes me want to scream ;)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Dont need all, just the apps that matter. Cant be lacking the blockbuster apps from other platforms and have nothing blockbuster of your own to offer. And yes, more devices are needed. Nokia said they would be releasing devices every three months to counter the numerous android releases, what happened to that? Cant even get the one device launched in multiple regions in time.

I personally think all the problems are down to Microsoft's tortoise approach to advancing the OS, WP has been without cutting edge devices and features for too long and that in turn has meant fewer standout devices, weaker support from carriers and poor interest from consumers. Not to mention the continued abysmal promotion and marketing from seemingly everyone but Nokia which has been a problem since before the OS even launched and is completely disgraceful that the situation hasnt changed in 2 years.

Bottom line, MS needs to make the OS jawdropping and then tell people about it. Anything else and they might as well not bother.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It?s Not Just About Price: Nokia?s Elop Says They?re Not Getting The Retail Traction They ?Prefer? | TechCrunch

Look at the sales numbers on the Galaxy S2 and tell me resolution matters. For that matter, look at the sales numbers on the Galaxy Nexus and tell me a mediocre camera matters. The key is mindshare with the people that SELL the phones. Elop is spot on.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
whats wrong with the yellow one? i like that one, lol
im also crossing fingers for those concepts and hoping for more at the same time, Nokia need more high end phones

Yellow just isn't my cup of tea. I'd go for a black, blue or maybe a green. IDK why I gravitate to darker colors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786