This Makes Me Very Angry!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Headline might be purely to get hits, but the content seems accurate enough. Nokia bet on WP, MS has fumbled WP, Nokia slowly going downhill. Have to wonder what Nokia could have achieved if they could have released WP's based on Apollo from the start - Pureview, 1080p rich recording cameras, Pureblack HD screens, hotlinking addresses to Nokia drive instead of tap-to-navigate bing - story could have been very different.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
This reminds me of the doom and gloom predictions for American auto makers. They are still here. It takes time when a large company has has to switch gears and go in a different direction.

I suspect some of Elop's comments were made a justification for the additional layoffs. He says they aren't selling as well as he would like. That does not mean they aren't selling well at all.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Headline might be purely to get hits, but the content seems accurate enough. Nokia bet on WP, MS has fumbled WP, Nokia slowly going downhill. Have to wonder what Nokia could have achieved if they could have released WP's based on Apollo from the start - Pureview, 1080p rich recording cameras, Pureblack HD screens, hotlinking addresses to Nokia drive instead of tap-to-navigate bing - story could have been very different.
How has MS fumbled WP? If that was true then they wouldn't be so hard at work for Apollo as well as mango. Mango brought alot of great new things to WP (some of which iPhone and Android are just now providing) and I'm confident that Apollo will bring more to push us ahead of the competition with unique features.

Why is it a POS article? The layoffs are bad enough, but the fact that they're coming from R&D makes it clear that this is a company in desperate short-term survival mode.
And the phones just aren't selling. Elop: Windows Phone 7 Is A Big Fat Retail Flop - Business Insider
How does Nokia come back from this? It pretty much looks like the end.

If the phones "weren't selling" the lumia 900 wouldn't be on top of the Amazon sales list and the lumia 710 wouldn't consistently be in the top 5 sales list, it's still holding it's own even against the HTC one series. Don't know where that article got that quote from as it was exactly a month of so ago when Nokia said sales were exceeding expectations.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
If the phones "weren't selling" the lumia 900 wouldn't be on top of the Amazon sales list and the lumia 710 wouldn't consistently be in the top 5 sales list, it's still holding it's own even against the HTC one series. Don't know where that article got that quote from as it was exactly a month of so ago when Nokia said sales were exceeding expectations.

...there's a whole thread devoted to that quote in this forum. http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-discussion/193577.htm

And I'm shocked a phone they were literally giving away is keeping pace with a 200 dollar phone. :dry (but for what it's worth the top 5 right now are the Droid Razr, the Galaxy Nexus, the Evo 4G and Sprint's Galaxy S II--the AT&T Galaxy S III, which isn't even out yet and is 4 times the price, is immediately behind the 900)

But keep cheering, Tinkerbell is fading. Gotta believe. The fact that Microsoft is releasing a Microsoft tablet should tell you the jig is up. They're not even going to bother buying Nokia, they're just going to make their own.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
...there's a whole thread devoted to that quote in this forum. http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-discussion/193577.htm

And I'm shocked a phone they were literally giving away is keeping pace with a 200 dollar phone. :dry (but for what it's worth the top 5 right now are the Droid Razr, the Galaxy Nexus, the Evo 4G and Sprint's Galaxy S II--the AT&T Galaxy S III, which isn't even out yet and is 4 times the price, is immediately behind the 900)

But keep cheering, Tinkerbell is fading. Gotta believe. The fact that Microsoft is releasing a Microsoft tablet should tell you the jig is up. They're not even going to bother buying Nokia, they're just going to make their own.

Could've left that second paragraph out, that was totally uncalled for. Yet clearly reflects your objective on this site.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing that invalidates a forum response more than when it is an opinion backed by a rumor. Microsoft has not announced a tablet yet, as such it is pointless to use that as a rationale for the demise of a platform. Of course, it would still be a ridiculous notion even if Microsoft had announced a branded tablet.

A little common sense is far stronger than a lot of dramatic sensationalized opinion.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing that invalidates a forum response more than when it is an opinion backed by a rumor. Microsoft has not announced a tablet yet, as such it is pointless to use that as a rationale for the demise of a platform. Of course, it would still be a ridiculous notion even if Microsoft had announced a branded tablet.

A little common sense is far stronger than a lot of dramatic sensationalized opinion.

http://www.windowscentral.com/ny-times-monday-microsoft-will-unveil-their-own-tablet-will-take-ipad

Ahem.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
That link changes nothing. It IS still a rumor until it actually happens. Even if it happens on Monday it still doesn't make the assertion that it signals the demise of WP any less ridiculous.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Sounds fairly accurate to me - the main WP thrust has been coming from Nokia and that company is sinking.

M

mkr10001

Anyone counting out MS and nokia are dumb.

It takes time to turn a company around. Nobody expected Nokia to suddenly reach the top.

All reviews of lumia's have been positive. People are starting to buy WP. It's only Android nerds and iOS nerds who hate WP.....majority of them having never used it

P.S Those two guys in the video are d*ckheads

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
All reviews of lumia's have been positive. People are starting to buy WP. It's only Android nerds and iOS nerds who hate WP.....majority of them having never used it

Forget the ****** stuff for a minute and just stick to the financial data, the problem is that the sales of Lumia devices are not high enough or increasing fast enough at the moment to avoid liquidity problems for Nokia in the near future.

What apple or android fans or even wp fans thing is irrelevant to the actual reality - that Nokia is in serious trouble.

M

mkr10001

Forget the ****** stuff for a minute and just stick to the financial data, the problem is that the sales of Lumia devices are not high enough or increasing fast enough at the moment to avoid liquidity problems for Nokia in the near future.

What apple or android fans or even wp fans thing is irrelevant to the actual reality - that Nokia is in serious trouble.

No ****** stuff. Yes they are in trouble but give them a chance to work it out.

Morons from that video don't help by saying stuff like coming late to the party with inferior products ( or something to that effect)

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Anyone counting out MS and nokia are dumb.

It takes time to turn a company around. Nobody expected Nokia to suddenly reach the top.
Nobody? The mood around here when Nokia announced the WP7 partnership with MS was jubilant, if not downright euphoric. The expectation then was that Nokia would improve WP7?s marketshare dramatically. Remember all the boasting about Nokia's superior hardware design talent? That the combination of excellent software from MS with outstanding Nokia hardware would finally make WP7 irresistible?

Not all reviews. Some, particularly Topolsky's, have focused on a very real problem -- the WP7 ecosystem is not growing fast enough to help the platform compete with Android and iOS. WP7 fans should not just dismiss this as the opinion of "haters."

I think Elop and Nokia were aware that this turnaround would be difficult and take a long time. Unfortunately, the expectations of investors and WP7 users were not as tempered by reality.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
How has MS fumbled WP? If that was true then they wouldn't be so hard at work for Apollo as well as mango. Mango brought alot of great new things to WP (some of which iPhone and Android are just now providing) and I'm confident that Apollo will bring more to push us ahead of the competition with unique features.

They have fumbled it by being so slow to iterate. WP is held back because today the OS doesn't support a lot of features that would make it more attractive to more consumers, like VPN, or to businesses, like full device encryption, and the nerds who want the latest hardware. How about this: AT&T, Nokia pushed Microsoft to add LTE to Windows Phone for Lumia 900 - FierceWireless. What a boneheaded decision this was, and perfectly illustrates Microsoft's lack of urgency in making the OS competitive. All the WP OEM's could do more with the OS if it supported more, but MS has not given them the tools to do so.

And it doesn't matter how many features Mango brought, if it takes you an eternity to bring newer features that your competition don't have while they do, you're not going to attract more users. Especially when you don't tell anyone when you DO bring new features.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I still love my beautifully different Lumia 900. And I will be in line when the first Win8 RT tablets hit the street, preferably from Nokia or Microsoft. But I will give everyone OEM a fair chance.

Oh, and just because you can buy a L900 for $99, it does not mean they are not making any money. It's the price AT&T, and all the other carriers, pay Nokia that matters. AT&T has been losing money on every iPhone they sold for years (making it up on contracts), and now that exclusivity is over, no good reason to do that anymore. So if they are paying $250-$300 for the L900, selling for $99, and making the rest up on a contract, everyone is happy.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I still have a very positive outlook for Nokia and WP. And as long as they aren't selling the most phones there will always be those who say it's going to tank. And then if they ever do get to the top then haters will try to find other problems or give reasons such as "they're giving them away for free" which isn't true.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarianKlux