Keep WiFi Connection Alive

thinkdan

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
As many WP7 users, I've hated the "feature" that disconnects the WiFi when the screen turns off.
Now, finally, after installing the iheartradio app, I've noticed that the WiFi stays connected even if the app is not running and the screen turns off.
This comes as a pleasant surprise. I've noticed that the app added a background task, which I guess is what keeps the wifi connection alive.
Is this a known behavior? Or did I just get lucky?

thinkdan

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure it's not plugged in while running the iheartradio app?
Yes, I'm sure it's not plugged in. I've been using the wifi all day around the house since I installed iheartradio this morning. However, I just noticed that even though I did exit the app (and I'm sure it's not running cause it's not showing as an open app if I hold the back button) it was still showing as paused in the Music + Videos Hub.

I tried listening to some music I have saved in my phone, and sure enough, as soon as the screen turned off, the wifi got disconnected. When i turned it on again I could see the wifi reconnecting.

So I did a test and opened iheartradio again, started listening to some radio station for a couple seconds, hit stop and exit the app again (by pressing the back button). I went to Music + Videos just to verify that the radio station was showing as paused. I then turned the screen off and this time the wifi remained connected.

So it seems I've found a workaround to keep the wifi connection alive. Just let iheartradio be the last thing you listened to and that will do the trick.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I noticed a similar thing the other day, and I put it down to Skype. It's not all that consistent, but sometimes when I go into Skype then quit using the home button (not backing out using the back button), the WiFi stays active all the time, even if Skype is gone from my app-switching list. I wake the phone up and it's still connected.

I'm pretty certain that it was Skype causing this as I have nothing else installed (like radio apps) that could cause it.

The battery doesn't seem to take too much of a dive either, which is a positive.

DanielCeleste

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I noticed a similar thing the other day, and I put it down to Skype. It's not all that consistent, but sometimes when I go into Skype then quit using the home button (not backing out using the back button), the WiFi stays active all the time, even if Skype is gone from my app-switching list. I wake the phone up and it's still connected.

I'm pretty certain that it was Skype causing this as I have nothing else installed (like radio apps) that could cause it.

The battery doesn't seem to take too much of a dive either, which is a positive.
Skype works for me in Canada

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
No, it matters.

1) wifi consumes less power then 3G
2) wifi saves you 3G data, if you don't have flat rate data package
If your phone is in sleep mode then I don't see why it matters what data mode you're in; you're not going to be using it anyway. Besides, when wifi is on 3G is still running just not being used.

Jake_M

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Or more importantly, you don't get any emails/notifications that you normally would. 3G wrecks the battery life, I get 6-7 hours on 3G, 2 days on WiFi(sleeping when screen off). I would be willing to tone it down to 17-36 hours if WiFi could always be on. I hate not getting emails, or my live tiles(specifically weather) don't update when the screen is off so I manually have to check the weather(seems to defeat the purpose of live tiles).

I understand that Microsoft is trying to save power, but honestly Windows Phone has ZERO customization for settings.

thinkdan

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Is there another app that has the same effect but is available outside the US marketplace?

Are you able to download the IHeartRadio app? If you are able to download it, I can help you to get an iheartradio account set up so you can access it in your country.

Once you have the account set up you can listen to iheartradio in whichever country you are located in. And then you can try my trick to keep the wifi connection on. It works in Mexico as well.

TitanSound

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
We shouldn't have to use tricks or third party apps to keep it alive, it should be an option.

When the O2 network was down in the UK the other day, I had to keep unlocking, waiting for wi-fi to connect and then refreshing the e-mail app. Surely that takes up more battery life than it checking for notifications every few minutes on wi-fi?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to thinkdan's tip I ran a series of tests on my L900 and published my results over on Mobility Digest. I used the iHeartRadio app to keep WiFi on persistently. With WiFi and LTE running, and the phone sleeping for 8 hours, I actually "saved" a little battery. Why? Because, with WiFi on, your LTE radio never has to ramp up to pull in email, background tasks, etc. So the efficiency of one radio balances out the other.

When LTE is in its low power state, it's very efficient. But when it ramps up, it can be a hog. Don't need 22Mbps down to DL a couple emails or a Live Tile.

On my non-SIM Surround, I kept persistent WIFi going for 71 hours, nearly three days. With iHeartRadio, you can close the app after triggering WiFi on. Skype, and other apps need to remain open in the background.

So keep your WiFi on. It uses virtually no juice.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what I did but my WiFi stays alive on my HD7 regardless if plugged in or not

Current background tasks:
-Accuweather
-HTC Hub
-Insider
-Vevo
-USA Today
-WPCentral
-Yelp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members