Was WP7 a beta test??

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
MSFT marching on to fantastic real competitive phones with WP8, leaving some WP7 users high and dry.... Is the beta test now over? ;)

Sent from my Titan using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much, yeah.

Though I remember thinking this way back when it launched and we were told that we had the Windows CE kernel and all apps would be in managed code.

I suspected that there would be a kernel change in the future, and using managed code for apps would ensure compatibility could be maintained through a kernel change.

I didn't have any idea how they would manage the feat of a kernel change through an "update." I guess they didn't either.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Android , Iphone and BB ( RIM) wher all in BETA testing till WP7...

WP7 was the FIRST smartphone in the WORLD not to be in beta testing!!!

lol
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_elqLDSt36k[/YT]

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Was WinMo 6.5 the beat test for Windows Phone 7? Was IOs 5 the beta for IOs 6? Was Blackberry the beta BlackBerry 10? You see where I am going with this? When something is used to improve the next think is it always the beta of its predecessor? Answer this question does Windows Phone 7 have merit?

I like WP 7 I am looking forward to the 7.8 update. I would bet there will be some issues with WP8 at launch so I will use and enjoy the 7.8 update on my Titan II while the early adopters beta test WP8.

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
the problem with the wp8 update is that wp8 apps will not work on wp7.

you can't compare it to ios. any app made from ios from day 1 will work with the newest version of ios (correct me if wrong).

MS is truly resetting with windows phone 8, as they had to , the CE kernel is just not good enough. to be competitive with the others. they've definetely made the right move.

as a wp7 owner since nov '11, i cannot stand iod or droid and want to see WP succeed because i truly believe WP8 will be better, hands down.

the fact that i'm not getting wp8 apps doesn't really upset me. MS is putting a competitive product out there and if it gets more people on board, i'm all for it.

honestly, who bought a windows phone in the past 18 months? the market share is at 1% or less in the US for good reason. MS needs a more competitive product and they're delivering it.

i upgrade phones once every 2 years, and by the time i can upgrade again, hopefully the ecosystem will be vastly strengthened

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
the problem with the wp8 update is that wp8 apps will not work on wp7.

Why do people even say this?

How do you even define a wp8 app? I bet part of that definition is that it won't work in wp7.

It's like saying that the number 2 is not the number 1.

Anthonyfear

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure it was a Beta test but rather a rushed attempt to get a phone to Windows Phone to market ASAP.

Unfortunately that means all us 'loyal' supporters get the shaft as they leave us behind and rapidly release their 'REAL' Windows Phone 8 Software and Devices!

At least that's how I feel :-(

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
MSFT marching on to fantastic real competitive phones with WP8, leaving some WP7 users high and dry.... Is the beta test now over? ;)

I'd say being that WP7 is really just a gussied up Windows CE it was a good test of UI elements and the most basic things. This way Windows Mobile would look much more modern while Microsoft had time to get Windows 8 made for mobile devices and share the same core as the desktop.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes. They launched WP7 on top of Windows CE (because of time constraints since MS has been asleep at the wheel for years) knowing darn well that the next version would have to completely leave it behind. All the while pushing new products as so called "flagship" devices. Riiiiight. A flagship that can't even be updated to the next version of the OS a couple months down the road.

Microsoft has a LOT to learn in this new age of mobile devices. They seem to be making it up as they go, while telling us all something different. Oh well. They'll see that the market won't put up with this BS. Especially since the other guys are wiping the floor with them.

This isn't the 1990s when they had a stranglehold on the industry. They better watch themselves.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes. They launched WP7 on top of Windows CE (because of time constraints since MS has been asleep at the wheel for years) knowing darn well that the next version would have to completely leave it behind. All the while pushing new products as so called "flagship" devices. Riiiiight. A flagship that can't even be updated to the next version of the OS a couple months down the road.

Microsoft has a LOT to learn in this new age of mobile devices. They seem to be making it up as they go, while telling us all something different. Oh well. They'll see that the market won't put up with this BS. Especially since the other guys are wiping the floor with them.

This isn't the 1990s when they had a stranglehold on the industry. They better watch themselves.

You'll be alright as well

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
You'll be alright as well

I sure will. Because I'm not married to the platform & use other ecosystems (along w WP). But they aren't making any friends doing stuff like this & are basically rebooting the platform...AGAIN. What is that? Like the second reboot in 2 years??

I'm only saying this stuff because I like WP so much. Between iOS & WP, it's a toss up for me which is my fav. Android is a POS iOS copy. At least IMO.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Of course we are and when you go buy a WP8 you will be beta testing for WP9 now for the real guts of it. What MS is doing with WP8 is right. it's going to be much, much better

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd call it more of a stopgap. I don't think in 2010 that the Windows Phone team would have anticipated a kernel change so early - just the industry (particularly hardware) moved so fast that the CE kernel was probably too much effort to continue supporting. It was a good product, but to push hardware further as well as software, this change is unfortunately necessary.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
A company that has a roadmap till 2015 leaked in 2010, surely knew they will go for a kernel change. Its MSFT not a local burger joint. Also, it feels like WP7 for 2 years was only a beta test of UI elements. Looking back at all the reviews, all I can see is people talking about how refreshing it is, how sleek it looks, how different it feels etc. Not a single review talking about how it can do everything other platforms can. They limited the features on WP7 so that it feels simple for feature phone users and gets known. It succeeded in making the UI noticed with WP7 Lumia beta tests. Now it is making real product should have launched in 2010 to compete the the iPhones and Androids. No wonder WP7 was all beauty no brains.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
you can't compare it to ios. any app made from ios from day 1 will work with the newest version of ios (correct me if wrong).

You're right, I believe. But this is true for WP7 as well - Microsoft has announced that all WP7 apps will run on WP8. As for whether or not WP8 apps will work on WP7?? - That depends on how you define "WP8 app". If you define it to mean "an app that uses WP8-specific features" then that's a tautology, and no, WP8 apps won't work on WP7. But by that definition iOS 5.x apps don't work on iOS 1.x either, nor Android 4.x apps run on Android 3.x. Or Win7 apps run on Vista...

It could be worse. It could be like Apple's switch from MacOS 9 to OSX, or their switch from MC68k to PowerPC, or their switch from PowerPC to Intel x86. It's tough, apps get left behind, some customers get bummed, but life goes on. Apple was left in a much stronger technical position after jettisoning their legacy software and hardware platforms, and I suspect that Microsoft will be also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb