Did Microsoft just kill Nokia?

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Sincere question. Nokia is bleeding cash. They need to make money now, not in 12-18 months. No one in their right mind would buy a WP7 phone at this point, knowing WP8 is on the horizon and won't come to their WP7 phone, so 800 and 900 sales, whatever they were, are going to grind to a halt. Nokia is losing ground in the low-end feature phone market, so they can't count on that to maintain liquidity.
I think WP8 is a definite improvement in a vacum, but in the context of Nokia on life-support, it's a disaster. And it's a kick in the junk for existing users.
So is Microsoft willing to keep funneling cash into Nokia for the foreseeable future, or is the WP8 timetable quicker than we're expecting?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
You are honestly one of the worst trolls I've ever seen on a forum like this.

Do you really have nothing better to do than stir up ?

It's really quite pathetic.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Sincere question. Nokia is bleeding cash. They need to make money now, not in 12-18 months. No one in their right mind would buy a WP7 phone at this point, knowing WP8 is on the horizon and won't come to their WP7 phone, so 800 and 900 sales, whatever they were, are going to grind to a halt. Nokia is losing ground in the low-end feature phone market, so they can't count on that to maintain liquidity.
I think WP8 is a definite improvement in a vacum, but in the context of Nokia on life-support, it's a disaster. And it's a kick in the junk for existing users.
So is Microsoft willing to keep funneling cash into Nokia for the foreseeable future, or is the WP8 timetable quicker than we're expecting?

Like I said in another thread, if you believe that Microsoft just screwed over Nokia, then it's possible that Microsoft is doing it on purpose so they can pick up Nokia for cheap. Microsoft wouldn't just let Nokia die.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Like I said in another thread, if you believe that Microsoft just screwed over Nokia, then it's possible that Microsoft is doing it on purpose so they can pick up Nokia for cheap. Microsoft wouldn't just let Nokia die.

If Microsoft wanted Nokia, they would have bought them out already and used the Nokia name on the Surface.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nokia knew the roadmap all along. They've been mentioning for a while now the the real party starts with WP8. If there is any company that is prepared for this, it's Nokia because it's been in their plans all along.

And think for a minute... there are still a lot of people who buy low-end Android phones when there are high-end ones available.

The same will happen with Windows Phones. Tech enthusiasts won't be buying the current batch of Windows Phones. But regular uses who could care less about things like updates will still pick them up.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft wanted Nokia, they would have bought them out already and used the Nokia name on the Surface.

If Microsoft wants Nokia (and did kill them):

Why pay a lot now, if you can get them for less later?

If Microsoft doesn't want Nokia:

Why would they be stupid enough to kill Nokia? What are they going to do? Make their own phones?

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this will be enough to kill Nokia, but it definitely gave them some difficult time. Putting my complaint about the way they sell/advertise Lumia 900 aside, I do agree this is needed upgrade for Microsoft, however I just didn't prepare for such huge change. Someone mentioned WebOS, Blackberry 7 to Blackberry 10. Those re-writes were necessary for the two company to provide the newer experience that current mobile users came to expect when they purchase a new phone. I didn't expect Microsoft would pull the same re-write strategy to add just the support for multi-core OS, different resolutions, and NFC support.

Adding these support would actually help improve Nokia's product portfolio in the long run such as new low-end single core WP8 phone (ironically) or the hero phone with quad-core. This will also help Microsoft's partner differentiate their hardware product say if Samsung decides to make mid-range phone with cheap dual core CPUs that they make.

So with that said, Nokia will definitely benefit from it instead of getting killed. However I would like to see some Elop interviews on what he thinks about their current customers and how much customer base he expect to lose due to this situation.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this will be enough to kill Nokia, but it definitely gave them some difficult time. Putting my complaint about the way they sell/advertise Lumia 900 aside, I do agree this is needed upgrade for Microsoft, however I just didn't prepare for such huge change. Someone mentioned WebOS, Blackberry 7 to Blackberry 10. Those re-writes were necessary for the two company to provide the newer experience that current mobile users came to expect when they purchase a new phone. I didn't expect Microsoft would pull the same re-write strategy to add just the support for multi-core OS, different resolutions, and NFC support.

It's not just that, they changed kernels so that apps written for Windows RT can also run on WP8 devices with just a few changes.

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not just that, they changed kernels so that apps written for Windows RT can also run on WP8 devices with just a few changes.

Of course, if Nokia had developed a Windows RT tablet today, they could benefit even more.

I was just referring to several key point how Nokia could benefit from Microsoft's announcement today as a phone manufacturer.

Anthonyfear

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
If Nokia was smart, instead of giving away Monster Headphones or $100 rebates, they would offer all Lumia 900 owners a cheap upgrade to their WP8 device.

That would ensure existing stock continues to sell and it would also give a boost to their WP8 handset on release.

I got my Lumia 900 in April (when it was released in Canada), so (even though I'll be entitled to a phone upgrade on another account) I'm unlikely to take 'another' chance on Windows Phone in such a short time without a significant incentive.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why everyone is so concerned and enamored with Nokia. Ever since Nokia has declared the switch from Symbian to WPs, technophiles (not just WP users) have been oooohhing and ahhhhing over its hardware. Android users keep on saying they wish Nokia made Android phones. Everyone says how successful Nokia would be if Nokia had decided to make Androids.

Well, I hate to give you guys a reality check; but, before the WP announcement, everyone just thought Nokia was a manufacturer which made thick phones with small displays and extremely outdated processors. (No one ever said, 'I wish Nokia made an Android!') If you look at phones from the 5800 to the N8, they were horrible. Even the Lumia 900 is hype next to its peers. If Nokia made an Android, there is reason to believe it would be like every other smartphone they ever released (before Microsoft came and told Nokia to get off ARM11).

My perception of Nokia has remained the same throughout the years. There is absolutely nothing special about Nokia and I don't see any reason why we should care if Nokia thrives or goes bankrupt either way. (Nobody is crying for Kodak or RIM. A corporation is a corporation is just another corporation.)

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site

WP8 will be out in 3 or 4 months, not 12 to 18 months. I'm sure Nokia will sell a good number of WP8 launch devices. I'll be buying one. What excites me most are the previews we should be seeing in the coming months for the launch devices.

A Social Reject

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
How is this a troll question? Nokia have had two major flagship phones in the last two years, the N9 and the Lumia 900. Both phones now have an OS that is no longer in development and they have their cancelled their own OS.

Nokia is in deep ****.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Windows Phone 8 is coming and will surly have a rough start it is the history of things like this. It will roll out slowly with bugs. Windows Phone 7.8 is here now if Nokia gets the lead on WP7.8 it could help to fuel sales. I understand the wait for 8 mentality but there will be many out there that will jump on the new update just to see what is coming.

It is rumored that Windows Phone 7.8 could be released in the next few weeks. Maybe Microsoft and Nokia is hoping that this will drive sales for a while. Why wait 4 to 5 months for the real deal when you can get WP7.8 now. This will be enough to get some people to get a WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte