Windows Phone 7.8 is horribly named

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why don't they call it windows phone 8 lite or something!
Come on, it has the look and feel of windows phone 8, and parts of the functionality.

Look at iOS, old devices get updated, but with each update they don't get all the new features. However, number wise, it still gets the same number.

Why can't MS do this with windows phone? I mean, windows phone 8 lite just sounds so much better than windows phone 7.8

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Masking the situation with a tricky name would have just upset people even more. I think Microsoft is doing the right thing by coming clean and taking the backlash. If it has to be done then make it so. I just hope they release a drop dead blow me away update that will calm the masses.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree that they did right with the name. It is not a version of windows phone 8. Windows phone 7 and 8 have different kernels and are significantly different OS's. Calling it wp8 light would be grossly inaccurate.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Look at iOS, old devices get updated, but with each update they don't get all the new features. However, number wise, it still gets the same number.

iOS devices can at least run apps developed for the new OS. And there will be a lot of software changes that WP 8 will have that 7.8 wont have.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
iOS devices can at least run apps developed for the new OS. And there will be a lot of software changes that WP 8 will have that 7.8 wont have.

Again, you and all the other "tech enthusiasts" assume that developers won't make a version for 7.8.

Getting all of this out my system today because starting tomorrow, I'm relishing the news and ignoring the rest

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Come on, it has the look and feel of windows phone 8, and parts of the functionality.

Why can't MS do this with windows phone? I mean, windows phone 8 lite just sounds so much better than windows phone 7.8

It has the feel of 8, but under the skin, it's not. It's part WP7, part WP8. It's also the last version of WP7 we'll see. "Windows Phone 7.8" works on so many different levels. I actually thought it was rather clever, while still being honest with the consumer that it's still WP7 at its core. And since WP8 apps may not work on WP 7.8, making clear that it's not actually WP8 under its skin is important.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Again, you and all the other "tech enthusiasts" assume that developers won't make a version for 7.8.

Getting all of this out my system today because starting tomorrow, I'm relishing the news and ignoring the rest

Seriously, I dont know if you have problems reading or understanding or maybe both.

Of course WP7.8 devices can run an app if it is developed for 7.8.

All I said was that it can not run apps that is developed for WP8, which is confirmed.

And WP7 is still missing many popular/important apps, why would developers suddenly begin to develop for the platform when Microsoft has confirmed that they will change to WP8 platform instead? The WP7 user amount will only decrease from here.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, I dont know if you have problems reading or understanding or maybe both.

All I said was that it can not run apps that is developed for WP8, which is confirmed.

And WP7 is still missing many popular/important apps, why would developers suddenly begin to develop for the platform when Microsoft has confirmed that they will change to WP8 platform instead? The WP7 user amount will only decrease from here.

Same for you. Did you not see that developers have the OPTION to make it for 7.8? Of course every.single.one might not have the ability but I walked away from the news as the majority have the option to.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Because of the simple fact that WP8 isn't in the market. Once WP8 comes out, people will still be using 7.8 and developers will know that they'll be using 7.8 for quite awhile. Some people are just now picking up contracts with WP devices like with the L900 and the T2.

They aren't just going to abandon ship, because a new OS has arrived. They'll continue to develop for 7.8 because 7.8 apps work on 8. Then when they see more people are using WP8 over time, maybe they'll start increasing the workflow to 8 instead of 7.8.

Maybe in 2-4 years, when most people have used their upgrades to get WP8 and no one is really using 7.8 is when they'll move onto just developing for 8. Yes, WP7 devices will decrease but so does iPhone's when they come out with a new one. Just look at the difference between the iPhone 3 and the iPhone 4... I guarantee millions and millions of people switched to the iPhone 4, it's going to happen with every iteration (Os, Phone, etc).

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Why woof woof about something you have absolutely positively no control over Its counter productive.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
There are technical reasons behind the OS naming conventions and it isn't entirely semantics Microsoft can play with. (Its the same reason why Apple can call iOS 5 on the 3GS iOS 5.)

Microsoft can't call it WP8 lite because it isn't "technically" WP8. That's the bottom line unless Microsoft wants to be sued for deceptive advertising.

At best, Microsoft could maybe beat around the bush with strange naming schemes like Windows RT; but, WP7.8 is definitely not WP8, lite or otherwise.

I am greatly disappointed because the NT kernel was what I was ultimately looking forward to. I don't care about any of the GUI crap.

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It's just a name, MS pretty much did an Apple today yet they get in trouble for not changing the version number? I don't get it, either way there would've been tons of complaints today because MS just cannot win.

anon(5340153)

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I suspect Sentimentgx4 got it right.
They named the two as WP 7.8 and WP 8 because they are basically two different OS. Their bases are different with probably only superficial similarities.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
8 Lite would be great, actually. Implies there's a difference but also alludes better to shared functionality that does exist between 7.8 & 8.0.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven