AT&T WP7 warranty service call nightmare

latempete

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
This is a copy of an email I sent to Nokia. It details a call to AT&T about isues with my Lumia 900. BTW, this is just to show how little those I talked to know about WP7 and not to disparage or put down the Lumia 900. It is a great phone and these issues are pretty much unheard of. I just managed to get one with issues.

My response to an earlier email to Nokia for support:

I followed your steps including resetting and am still having issues. I have the latest WP7 software and did the firmware update the day it was released. My issues are: no non-native (people hub, messages, calls, etc) tiles update. I have tried 4 different weather apps. Made sure they were allowed to run in the background in settings and set in the software for them to update hourly. The weather tile only updates when I open the app. The same for all other apps I have tried. Also, the phone shut completely down on me today and would not restart until I plugged it into the charger. It acted like the battery was completely dead. This on top of previous freezing and completely locking up. I was putting up with it because I did NOT want to have to spend days reinstalling everything, putting my accounts back in, lose software that I downloaded while it was offered as free, re-input all my accounts into my apps and lose almost everything else (texts, call history, news and info I saved in-app.) So, I called AT&T warranty replacement department. Maybe it's my fault for calling on a Sunday night but this is what I was told:

1. I have TOO MANY APPS ON MY PHONE. (I have over 430 apps and games.) I was told I should have NO MORE THAN 15 to 20 combined apps and games. This did not come from only the first tech I talked to but from her manager!! He said more than that uses too much memory and causes lock-ups and freezes! I told him my old WP7, the LG Quantum, had over 300 and it NEVER ONCE acted up. I also told him that I only had 4 apps allowed to run in the background and I don't multitask much. Meaning, when I am done I hit the back button until I get to the home screen and hitting back goes no further to shut everything down. And he SHOULD know WP7.5 allows no more than 9 background tasks and 5 open programs at a time.. I also asked how the supposed 15-20 app limit made any sense when Microsoft just announced they passed 100,000 apps in the marketplace. Who would care if you maxed out at 20? Now, I do know this guy is wrong but it gets better..

2. Even though I already reset my phone per your instructions, I have to do it AGAIN to satisfy AT&T. And this time I am NOT to reload ANY apps. Just leave it without any and they will call me in 2 days to see if I am having issues. WHAT?? I told them sometimes my phone, as is, with all apps installed can run fine for a week or more. Other times it crashes only 5 minutes after a reboot. So, basically, if they call and all is well after two days and my phone is fine but then begins acting up after I load my programs back in they won't replace it. It's my fault for having too many programs installed. Yes, I was told that.

3. As for my phone just shutting completely off for no reason with about 3/4 full battery and not being able to restart it until I plugged it into a charger? I was told to try a different charger. Even though it showed 68% charged when it booted! He, the "manager", told me to try a different charger. The phone CHARGES FINE and WAS CHARGED. It WAS NOT plugged in when it crapped out. What would using a different charger prove?? It would not turn on no matter how long I held in the power button. Once I plugged it into the charger it flashed a pic of a dead battery for barely a moment and then booted almost instantly showing the battery about 3/4 full. (68% under battery saver) I told him all of this.

This is all while talking to the "Windows Phone" department in AT&T's warranty department. The "manager" asked if I was using the Nokia Lumia. I said yes, he then asked if the battery was removable. ????! The tech I first spoke to asked if I was using the "task manager" on my phone? I know what she meant but really? That I can let slide but it just seemed like further proof that they never used a Windows Phone.

I just want this thing replaced so I can reload everything (one app at a time! even with Reinstaller), re-enter info for all my accounts in the phone and apps, re-organize, re-link and make groups from my contacts ONCE AGAIN and get back to life with a working Lumia 900. Is that too much to ask?

----End of message to Nokia

What do you guys think? What would you do?

I am going to call AT&T again during the day tomorrow (or maybe do a chat since i don't have another phone to call from) and try again but WOW. I don't believe Nokia can do much except state you can have more than a max of 15-20 apps installed. BTW, I made a point to ask if he meant apps installed or open (ignoring the max of 9) and he said just having more than that installed messes everything up. It's like he thinks I am using Windows 3.1 or something.

Thank you for any help!

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
WOW! I have never had a bad experience with AT&T customer support, however I have never actually asked them about phone features or talked to them about phones other than ordering phones.
Everything you describe is how my experience is with Verizon customer support (DSL and FiOS) reps have no idea about anything and you get a different story when asking about things everytime you call and very rarely do you get a competent rep.

You should contact Nokia here for help: Twitter

latempete

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
WOW! I have never had a bad experience with AT&T customer support, however I have never actually asked them about phone features or talked to them about phones other than ordering phones.
Everything you describe is how my experience is with Verizon customer support (DSL and FiOS) reps have no idea about anything and you get a different story when asking about things everytime you call and very rarely do you get a competent rep.

I will give their Twitter a try. Thanks! Is that better and/or faster than emailing support?

latempete

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

I have been with AT&T Wireless in it's various forms (AT&T, then Cingular, then AT&T again) for over ten years and normally I have had good luck and experiences with them. That's why I am wondering if I called at a bad time. It's just that he was SO far off I couldn't believe it. But, in the interest of getting this resolved I did reset my phone. :-/
One reason being that it SEEMS that since I updated through Zune I can undo the update and get my phone back to where it was when I updated and the reapply the update if need be. I don't know... I just want a replacement so I can start over. I can't trust the phone that I have now.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't go through AT&T warranty, go through Nokia's warranty. They'll just replace your phone - its within the 1 year warranty.

Trust me, I've done it.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had ATT for over 10 years and i've had many bonehead experiences with them in regards to bad information, bad explanations, stupid billing, and just overall lack of knowledge of policy and services.

Quick Summary

* Incorrect billing - cant get an explanation and resolution until spending a lot of time on the phone

* lack of upgrade knowledge - they would tell me i would lose all my grandfathered in features like unlimited data/ $5 text if i upgrade - then another rep said i would not - then another rep said those dont exist and doesnt know why i have those in the first place

* Bad info on family plan corporate discount. I was told a 59.99 plan gets discounted and i ask another and said that plan is not eligible. Luckily i didnt change

* Overall inconsistent knowledge from ATT rep to ATT rep, they dont know the policy so it can be a hit and miss

I also just went through a company wide wireless migration from Tmobile to ATT and the CS experience was just mind numbing. Even our ATT sales guy said they are trying to fix the inconsistencies within the Customer Service Department and it has been a challenge.

I try to avoid them as much as possible. LUckily, no issues with my 900.

latempete

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
i didn't know I could go through Nokia. That is definitely worth a try! Thanks!
I called Nokia and they said I would have to send my pone in for an assessment which takes 7-10 days. That won't work because this is my only phone. Also, I would have to pay shipping. So my best bet is still with AT&T. They send out the replacement before you send the one you have in so you aren't without a phone.

latempete

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I called Nokia and they said I would have to send my pone in for an assessment which takes 7-10 days. That won't work because this is my only phone. Also, I would have to pay shipping. So my best bet is still with AT&T. They send out the replacement before you send the one you have in so you aren't without a phone.
How many apps do you guys have installed and how much storage free? Because that is causing my issues they say...

It is getting ridiculous. I called AT&T again and got Android support. They are taking WP overflow. Anyway, she said I have way to many apps and if I am using more than 3/4 of my phones storage it will definitely act up. "All phones will", she said. Although she admittedly has no experience with WP. AND even though my old LG Quantum had 350 apps and like 500MB of space free and had no issues. Then she's asking if i reboot everyday! Come on! I ran my LG for months at a time with no issues. (It was amazing, actually.)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
This is a copy of an email I sent to Nokia. It details a call to AT&T about isues with my Lumia 900. BTW, this is just to show how little those I talked to know about WP7 and not to disparage or put down the Lumia 900. It is a great phone and these issues are pretty much unheard of. I just managed to get one with issues.

My response to an earlier email to Nokia for support:

I followed your steps including resetting and am still having issues. I have the latest WP7 software and did the firmware update the day it was released. My issues are: no non-native (people hub, messages, calls, etc) tiles update. I have tried 4 different weather apps. Made sure they were allowed to run in the background in settings and set in the software for them to update hourly. The weather tile only updates when I open the app. The same for all other apps I have tried. Also, the phone shut completely down on me today and would not restart until I plugged it into the charger. It acted like the battery was completely dead. This on top of previous freezing and completely locking up. I was putting up with it because I did NOT want to have to spend days reinstalling everything, putting my accounts back in, lose software that I downloaded while it was offered as free, re-input all my accounts into my apps and lose almost everything else (texts, call history, news and info I saved in-app.) So, I called AT&T warranty replacement department. Maybe it's my fault for calling on a Sunday night but this is what I was told:

1. I have TOO MANY APPS ON MY PHONE. (I have over 430 apps and games.) I was told I should have NO MORE THAN 15 to 20 combined apps and games. This did not come from only the first tech I talked to but from her manager!! He said more than that uses too much memory and causes lock-ups and freezes! I told him my old WP7, the LG Quantum, had over 300 and it NEVER ONCE acted up. I also told him that I only had 4 apps allowed to run in the background and I don't multitask much. Meaning, when I am done I hit the back button until I get to the home screen and hitting back goes no further to shut everything down. And he SHOULD know WP7.5 allows no more than 9 background tasks and 5 open programs at a time.. I also asked how the supposed 15-20 app limit made any sense when Microsoft just announced they passed 100,000 apps in the marketplace. Who would care if you maxed out at 20? Now, I do know this guy is wrong but it gets better..

2. Even though I already reset my phone per your instructions, I have to do it AGAIN to satisfy AT&T. And this time I am NOT to reload ANY apps. Just leave it without any and they will call me in 2 days to see if I am having issues. WHAT?? I told them sometimes my phone, as is, with all apps installed can run fine for a week or more. Other times it crashes only 5 minutes after a reboot. So, basically, if they call and all is well after two days and my phone is fine but then begins acting up after I load my programs back in they won't replace it. It's my fault for having too many programs installed. Yes, I was told that.

3. As for my phone just shutting completely off for no reason with about 3/4 full battery and not being able to restart it until I plugged it into a charger? I was told to try a different charger. Even though it showed 68% charged when it booted! He, the "manager", told me to try a different charger. The phone CHARGES FINE and WAS CHARGED. It WAS NOT plugged in when it crapped out. What would using a different charger prove?? It would not turn on no matter how long I held in the power button. Once I plugged it into the charger it flashed a pic of a dead battery for barely a moment and then booted almost instantly showing the battery about 3/4 full. (68% under battery saver) I told him all of this.

This is all while talking to the "Windows Phone" department in AT&T's warranty department. The "manager" asked if I was using the Nokia Lumia. I said yes, he then asked if the battery was removable. ????! The tech I first spoke to asked if I was using the "task manager" on my phone? I know what she meant but really? That I can let slide but it just seemed like further proof that they never used a Windows Phone.

I just want this thing replaced so I can reload everything (one app at a time! even with Reinstaller), re-enter info for all my accounts in the phone and apps, re-organize, re-link and make groups from my contacts ONCE AGAIN and get back to life with a working Lumia 900. Is that too much to ask?

----End of message to Nokia

What do you guys think? What would you do?

I am going to call AT&T again during the day tomorrow (or maybe do a chat since i don't have another phone to call from) and try again but WOW. I don't believe Nokia can do much except state you can have more than a max of 15-20 apps installed. BTW, I made a point to ask if he meant apps installed or open (ignoring the max of 9) and he said just having more than that installed messes everything up. It's like he thinks I am using Windows 3.1 or something.

Thank you for any help!

REPLY I have 76 apps and I have not experienced any similar problems or issues as others have said if you have done a reset and still have the same isues without programs then its the phone call Nokia again and hopefully talk with someone else. They should send you a new phone and a mailer to send your old one back.

latempete

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
REPLY I have 76 apps and I have not experienced any similar problems or issues as others have said if you have done a reset and still have the same isues without programs then its the phone call Nokia again and hopefully talk with someone else. They should send you a new phone and a mailer to send your old one back.
Thank you for your reply. I asked Nokia on the Twitter link above if what AT&T said is true. Basically if you can have too many apps installed or if issues arise after storage memory is 3/4 of the way full. They replied NOT TRUE. I am going to try chatting with Nokia to see if I can facilitate an exchange where I get the new phone before I send my old one out.

latempete

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I finally have a resolution. At&T is replacing my phone. It was a long journey and, unfortunately I even met with some crazy talk with a woman at Nokia's CareLine. I was told when my touchscreen becomes unresponsive to hold in the power button for 8-10 seconds to reboot the phone. Yes, I know I can do that. But I explained that I have missed important calls due to this. I can see the call, the number and who is calling but cannot answer the call. Touching "Answer" does nothing. To that she replied, "Just hold in the power...". It's a PHONE! Not being able to answer calls is unacceptable. For some reason she couldn't understand that. :-/

BUT! Other than that one experience dealing with Nokia wasn't bad. They were responsive on Twitter (although real tech support through Tweeting is pretty useless). My best results came from emailing Nokia. They were very helpful and upgraded my support to their "Service Recovery Department". That department called me and was very helpful. One thing I learned (and will post where more can see it) is that, per Nokia's contract with AT&T, Nokia can only facilitate a return on a Lumia 900 once AT&T declines to do so. That is paraphrasing and we didn't go into detail but basically, I had to give AT&T a chance to complete their troubleshooting and, upon completion, if they wouldn't replace the phone under warranty THEN Nokia could and would.

Luckily, in my final call to AT&T, I got good and knowledgeable customer service agents. The first was, once again, an Android tech (I am assuming because WP techs are busy and overflow is still being sent to Android). But, at least this time, the agent very kindly listened to my issues and admitted he had no knowledge of Windows Phones. He transferred me to WP warranty and stayed on the line to make sure everything transferred okay. Then, the woman I talked to at warranty THIS TIME was very knowledgeable (she actually owns a WP) AND listened to what was happening with my phone. She was processing the replacement within minutes.

Thank you everyone for your help! Hopefully I will not have any issues with the replacement.

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Ehh...I tend to keep phones on avg 6 months, the original Droid on VZ was the only phone I have kept longer than 6 months and kept it for 18 months. It was a good little device.

Chances are pretty good that as soon as VZ launches a new WP8, I will be jumping on it. Today, Google announced some pretty neat features, but I still have to say that my current fave platform is WPx. There are a lot of reasons for that but the main two: 1. The OS is slick and fast. 2. I like the whole social integration.

I have tried to leave FB behind but have way too many friends and family that I just find it easier to communicate with them through that tool. WP just makes it a lot easier, I loaded the FB app and quickly got rid of it, it really is bad, does look great though, especially when compared to all the other platforms.

Also and most importantly, we don't know what we are getting on our current WPx devices. I will admit, I am not thrilled about it, but I like where they are going and can you imagine an already fast OS on even faster hardware. Smoking!

Peace peeps.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Verizon support on twitter tried to tell me my Trophy keeps rebooting because of an app problem. They think it's either too many apps or a poorly written app. This is despite the fact that my phone ran great with pretty much the same apps before the 8107 update. At least the people I talk to on the phone with customer service don't have any problems replacing my phone.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
When I had to send my Focus Flash into Samsung Repair the first CSR did not document the problem correctly and thought my Flash was a Android, and so it sat for a week at the repair shop.

I then called on the 10th Day, and raged that my phone was not back yet. That second CSR was not trained and admitted it and and transfered me very Quickly to Samsung WP Tech.

I told them problems and what was happening, and they listened. I even explained how I went into diagnostics and may have reprogrammed my phone incorrectly..The next day the phone was being worked on and parts replaced. Received phone a few days later.

Cleary some of the CSR that companies use do not pay attention to what phones they are dealing with and think they all are droids..So if you do have to call AT&T or Samsung or HTC etc. Tell them it is Windows Phone outright so that you can get to right Tech Support once again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss