Suddenly my WP7 doesnt seem so obsolete after Android's latest announcement

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
A lot of the new features, we've had since day one. The new camera functions/sharing, & search cards & how you can get everything done from there. My "soon to be obsolete" phone has been running features that Android just got (or about to get). :D

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've had a phone for a while with "project butter" already installed - its called Windows Phone 7. Thanks for realizing your OS is slow and jittery on even the most powerful of hardware, Google. Its about time you caught up.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I've had a phone for a while with "project butter" already installed - its called Windows Phone 7. Thanks for realizing your OS is slow and jittery on even the most powerful of hardware, Google. Its about time you caught up.

Seems like every upgrade announcement, they've discovered a way to make the UI run "smoother".

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
And above all, as Apple's keynote was disappointing, it seems the fandroids are left with a sour taste in their mouth as well. I think Microsoft is going to KILL it.

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
A lot of the new features, we've had since day one. The new camera functions/sharing, & search cards & how you can get everything done from there. My "soon to be obsolete" phone has been running features that Android just got (or about to get). :D

Just got? About to get?

3 phones will be getting Jelly Bean in the near future. New phones coming out in a few months will, but old phones wont see it for at least 6 months, and most wont even see that.

We all moan about not getting the full WP8 kernel on our 2 year old phones, but if you are +6 months, you don't get the latest release on Android.

Thank goodness for xda/cyanogenmod if you're an android owner (which I was)

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
It's so nice to see a thread that isn't a "my phone is obsolete, sniff sniff" thread. Mangoose is right, with only 7% of android phones having ICS I wonder how many current phones will get Jelly Bean

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
did google just buy webos from hp...? for some reason alot of the stuff feels like webos
Probably because it is. Matias Duarte basically created webOS and a lot of the senior engineers and software architects from Palm/webOS are now at Google as well. Touch to share is a blatant rip-off as are the notifications.

greensea

May 29, 2012
Visit site
i think android biggest problem is their sluggish, stuttering and inconsistent ui. that should be their top priority. it can head banging at time.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
As I always said from the get-go about Android. If they optimized the software to work well with the hardware, it wouldn't be much of an issue. They wanted to take the spec route and constantly upgrade the specifications of the phones without actually optimizing the software. So the software/Android is complete sh*t, and that's why iOS and WP work so well.

I've had a Droid Incredible for 2 years, just as long as many of you have had your WP's. The only major update we got on our DInc's was Gingerbread (2.3). For awhile we didn't even get it OTA, or anything. I was already rooted and ROM'd running Cyanogen Mod at this point when Gingerbread became vastly available. People are complaining about not getting the latest.... Android is the worst. Android if I remember correctly more then 60% is still running Froyo or Gingerbread... and none of these phones will even see ICS. Whereas every phone will be up to date on 7.8 for WP and the new phones with W8P.

WP has a much longer lifespan and a much longer support life then Android will ever have. There are so many Android devices, and they continue to pump out more and more each week. Androids usually last 4 to 6 months, whereas WP's have been holding strong these last 2 years.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather have a WP then an Android device any day with those types of statistics. Just talking about the lifespan and updates, and the fragmentation.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
People are complaining about not getting the latest....

A lot of WP user's frustration with the 7.8/8 situation is that MS seemingly made a big thing about fragmentation not being an issue on WP, and then they go ahead and fragment the OS. And not even in a small version-number-type way. It's a completely different kernel.

Now, I appreciate that it's nothing like the level of Android, but then Google have never said that fragmentation isn't an issue for them (they just don't dwell on it).

To be fair, I think that Gen 1 WP users have been well served with Mango, and now with 7.8, but I can't help but feel sympathy for the 900 owners who aren't techies (ie - who didn't research the hazy upgrade issue first) and who may have been misled at time of sale, who are now finding out that their new phone is getting a kind of partial upgrade designed - let's be honest - to placate them and other WP owners.

MS could, and should, have cleared up the WP8 upgrade issue months ago when it was first raised (they would have been clear about the situation internally even long before that). They didn't do it because it would have killed sales of WP7.5 handsets. In anyones reasonable view, that is a decision made for the benefit of MS, to the detrement of it's customers. I would even go so far as to say it was dishonest, in that it was a case of witholding information in order not to affect sales.

MS handled it in the same way that politicians do when they are asked a question yet give an answer to a different question (their, "All WP7 apps will run on WP8").

That's why - and I've said it before - I think they have a moral obligation to make sure that the 7.8 upgrade has all the non-hardware-reliant features of WP8. There is no reason why they couldn't do that.

Having said all that, I'm more than happy with my Lumia 900 (even without any update). But then, I was aware that I may get no upgrade, so I could have chosen not to buy the phone.

If 7.8 is feature-packed, then I don't I don't think that anyone could have any major complaints - after all who cares about the name? But if it's just going to be the start screen update (and, looking at how MS are making such a big issue of the start screen, I would think it pretty much is) then I think it'll cost them more in bad publicity and reputation that it would have done to make the 7.8 update match WP8 in all but hardware-dependant features.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The old phones from Android are going into oblivion update after update of Android. I personally don't see any profit from updating older phones. So or so, the phone has to be replaced :)

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
The thing about android is that even if a phone doesn't get updated to the latest version, at least it will still get most of the new apps. The Play Store still grows for those phones. What there is now in the marketplace is pretty much what there's going to be in the marketplace for current Windows Phones.

I wouldn't mind all this if I had an older windows phone, but I can't help but feel bad for Lumia 900 owners. Even android doesn't cut off the newest update to a high end phone a couple months after the phone is released.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
At the Android scene there are the XDA developers with whose help you can get almost any version of it on any phone, so maybe we can expect something similar for Windows Phone, porting the 8 to the current phones..? :).

If I may add an example, they've put Android ICS to the Samsung Wave, a Bada phone. I presume that then it could be possible to get WP8 to WP7 devices.

Sorry for off-topic.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
So far, this year seems to be Microsoft's. I just hope they can deliver on the expectations.

At the Android scene there are the XDA developers with whose help you can get almost any version of it on any phone, so maybe we can expect something similar for Windows Phone, porting the 8 to the current phones..?
The drivers are the big issue here. There are custom ROMs for Mango / Tango, but a custom ROM with Apollo will require the hackers to redo the drivers for the new core. Not sure how possible this is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb